scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
mcmain42 wrote:You can buy a brand new one from Sam's Club for $167 and it includes a 1 year warranty and if you pay for it with your Discover Card you get an additional year's coverage.

Says "unavailable for delivery" and comes up $187.98 at my local club. Where did you find it for $167? Would love that price for a new one...

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
jseureau wrote:What exactly does it do?

If you don't know what this does, you don't need it. Nor should be allowed to have one.
Back on the turnip truck!!!!

mbindybb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mbindybb

IS this refurbished by Apple? I have looked through the comments and do not see this information. Thanks.

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
AppWiGuy wrote:I agree. I also have iOS devices (iTouch 3G and iPhone4S) and an Android tablet (Toshiba Thrive, purchased off Woot). I also have multiple Windows computers and have been an IT Systems Engineer for over 20 years so I know how to use this stuff. The Apple products are simple leagues ahead. My Thrive tablet cannot even compete with my 4 year old iTouch. Even apps, such as MLB.TV that work on both platforms are dramatically different. The MLB.TV app on my Thrive doesn't even support video streaming, checking team schedules, etc. There are not simply more apps for iOS devices; the apps are much higher quality.

The Thrive is not supported yet for MLB at bat, but support will probably come eventually-see link for supported Android devices.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/

Realize that Apple has limited hardware for their phone, IPOD and IPAD. Makes it a lot easier to develop Apps across devices. Android actually allows you to have a choice of devices which can make it difficult for certain apps to distribute. Your biggest problem with MLB is the fact that you did not research it first. I'll trade you my 64 gb IPOD (received as a gift) for your Toshiba Thrive, I'll even throw in some cash. Just because you are clumsy and don't know how to use your Android device does not make the device inferior. To say you prefer Apple is your call, to say you think that Apple is leagues ahead makes me truly question if you actually are an IT engineer.

virtual1one

quality posts: 6 Private Messages virtual1one
alanhwoot wrote:I got the one from the previous Woot on March 10. I haven't had time to play with it much, but cosmetically it's fine -- no scratches, and boots up fine.

If all goes as it should the refurbs will NOT have scratches. The back shell is always replaced during the refurbishnig process. From Apple.com:

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPod models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
virtual1one wrote:If all goes as it should the refurbs will NOT have scratches. The back shell is always replaced during the refurbishnig process. From Apple.com:

We test and certify all Apple refurbished products and include a 1-year warranty. All refurbished iPod models also include a brand new battery and outer shell.

Where does it say these were refurbed by Apple?

Note: The Warranty

"Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty "

Woot warranty NOT Apple.

crickee

quality posts: 20 Private Messages crickee
scubalab wrote:Says "unavailable for delivery" and comes up $187.98 at my local club. Where did you find it for $167? Would love that price for a new one...

$187.98 when I check too. That must have been invalid info. I suggest others disregard the post for Sams being cheaper for a new one.

After checking all posts and validating prices, Woot seems to still have the best deal out there right now.

Each iPod touch will have the apple warranty for 1 year from the date the original user purchased the item. It will be different on each one woot carries so you may be lucky and have beyond the 90 days. The Apple store will be able to tell you how long is left on the warranty through them once you have your iPod touch in hand.

RAWR Imma Squarryl

jonac13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonac13

Throw my hat in with anyone who says 8gb is too small. Made the mistake of going from a 32gb 3rd generation iPod Touch to a 8gb 4th generation iPod Touch due to a lack of patience, ultimately regretted it. Particularly if you like mobile gaming, you'll be spending an uncomfortable amount of time playing storage Tetris with all of your content.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot
virtual1one wrote:If all goes as it should the refurbs will NOT have scratches. The back shell is always replaced during the refurbishnig process. From Apple.com:

Uh, here's the part of my message you didn't quote:

Despite the "literary point of view" referring to the retracted Apple factory story, I don't believe these are Apple Recertified. The previous Woot had a card from "Refurbished Product Service Center", which is operated by Sohnen Enterprises.

Panosian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Panosian

Don't suppose Facetime works with someone overseas? (Germany) thx

passport531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages passport531

"procreatetionality" - ain't no such word,is there?

spdrace025

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spdrace025
Panosian wrote:Don't suppose Facetime works with someone overseas? (Germany) thx

Yes, Facetime will work with anyone, anywhere, as long as there is wifi. , and they have an iOS device.

crktfrog

quality posts: 9 Private Messages crktfrog

If you're thinking at all of getting a new phone you really should just spring for the iphone, instead of getting one of these. Then you have it all in one gadget, and have all the features available wherever you go (if wifi not around, your data plan keeps you tethered). You can get iphones pretty cheap with new cell agreements but you might pay a hefty price for new cell data plans. I've seen many haters get the ipod touch and then realize they wished they'd gone for the iphone after seing all the fun things this does.

However, that being said, this is good for those that don't need a phone, are stuck in a cell plan, or want to keep the kids entertained. No phone, but everything else- connects with wifi to download tons of apps; you can imessage (free text message between igadget users with newest operating system) and facetime call with calling apps. As posted earlier, though, wifi is critical, and it will search and search if wifi is not around, thus draining your battery. So auto searching for wifi does need to be switched on and off if you move around with this thing.

Admittedly, 8gb is small if you are a data hog, but can be substantial for more casual users.

amterpstra

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amterpstra

I have more than a couple of woot! refurb purchases in my treasure trove and have had nothing but absolute success with all of them. I am hoping on this with both feet (which will technically make it a jump, I realize that, but Easter is coming).
My concern is this: back in the old days I was a dual platform 'expert' and had both a Mac and PC on my desk. I have shifted completely to PC by now. Will they rescind my membership if I buy this? I don't want to have rotten chips and moldy circuit board thrown at me as I walk around listening to my iTunes.

It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right. ~ Wootin' since 2005 and lovin' it!

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome
rlj1010 wrote:8GB is too small.

yeah, I HATE it when 8,000,000,000 characters is just too darn small....

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090
Burning-Chrome wrote:yeah, I HATE it when 8,000,000,000 characters is just too darn small....

What is your point? In reality there is only 5.5-6.5 GB free, depending on whose point of view you want to believe:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2703966?start=0&tstart=0

6,500,000,000 bits may look impressive, but in actuality with media files it's not that much. Oh but there is all this free online storage....yeah that's convenient and seamless to use with a great user experience especially if you are in an area with poor quality internet, or better yet a place that has no internet at all.

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione
sbchandler wrote:I purchased one of these last year here at Woot.

The Refushed quaity was good. It looked nearly new and has functioned as if it was new.

It is an amazing cutting edge product. I'm constantly impress with it's design and procreatetionality.

I own a iPhone 3GS and the iPod touch syncs well with my phone so that I did not have to repurchase any apps. Even my TOM TOM app syenced over.
And with a little bit of tinkering I have the iPod Touch mounting up fine in the TOM TOM car mount for my iPhone.

ONE MAJOR THING:
I got the 8GB one and it's just not large enough. I'm always wishing I had waited and purchased one of the larger ones when they were offered here at WOOT.

Oh by the way...
If anyone might wonder why I got one of these when I already own an iPhone, it was for the FaceTime which I use all the time to talk with my wife, son and father who all have the new iPhones. My iPhone 3GS doesn't do FaceTime and this iPod touch does. That make it worth it for my right there.
AND...
Since I have teathering on my iPhone 3GS that means I can connect this iPod touch to it and use FaceTime anywhere, not just at home or some building with WiFi. I FaceTimed a friend, just to jerk his chain, from the top of ABasin, one of the world's best little ski area, last week.

Woot's autocorrect function (sorry, procreatetion) certainly jerks my chain...

wxfan1978

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wxfan1978

This is a good Woot.. I'm a newbie to the site, and purchased this item. I think it's a good deal...

Bione

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Bione
amterpstra wrote:I have more than a couple of woot! refurb purchases in my treasure trove and have had nothing but absolute success with all of them. I am hoping on this with both feet (which will technically make it a jump, I realize that, but Easter is coming).
My concern is this: back in the old days I was a dual platform 'expert' and had both a Mac and PC on my desk. I have shifted completely to PC by now. Will they rescind my membership if I buy this? I don't want to have rotten chips and moldy circuit board thrown at me as I walk around listening to my iTunes.

What you'd really like is an Apple iPod that's only compatible with PCs. So, if I'm interpreting you correctly, you're sort of asking if this is NOT compatible with a Mac, right?

I guess if you Woot! long enough, you see it all.

kjmoore88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kjmoore88

Would like to know if the refurbishing includes a new battery?
(Those on the Apple website do, and without the option of replacing them on your own this could be a concern for me)

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ViolaineGray wrote:If I wanted to carry my entire music collection around with me, sure - I'd have to spring for the biggest one Apple offers. Since I need to keep costs low, though, I'm just keeping playlists, a few audiobooks, and some podcasts on mine these days. So for that, 8 GB for me is perfect

There is some stat floating around that says most users only listen to a fraction of the songs they store. I had the same experience with my ebook reader...why carry 300 books? 8 GB is plenty of you are not electro-hoarding.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

sbchandler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbchandler

I purchased one of these last year here at Woot.

The Refushed quaity was good. It looked nearly new and has procreatetioned as if it was new.

It is an amazing cutting edge product. I'm constantly impress with it's design and procreatetionality.

I own a iPhone 3GS and the iPod touch syncs well with my phone so that I did not have to repurchase any apps. Even my TOM TOM app syenced over.
And with a little bit of tinkering I have the iPod Touch mounting up fine in the TOM TOM car mount for my iPhone.

ONE MAJOR THING:
I got the 8GB one and it's just not large enough. I'm always wishing I had waited and purchased one of the larger ones when they were offered here at WOOT.

Oh by the way...
If anyone might wonder why I got one of these when I already own an iPhone, it was for the FaceTime which I use all the time to talk with my wife, son and father who all have the new iPhones. My iPhone 3GS doesn't do FaceTime and this iPod touch does. That make it worth it for my right there.
AND...
Since I have teathering on my iPhone 3GS that means I can connect this iPod touch to it and use FaceTime anywhere, not just at home or some building with WiFi. I FaceTimed a friend, just to jerk his chain, from the top of ABasin, one of the world's best little ski area, last week.

Woot's autocorrect function (sorry, procreatetion) certainly jerks my chain...

That's funny. I didn't notice

justicepie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justicepie

Finally pulled the trigger on this one.

For my 3 year old who is frighteningly savvy with our iPad, this is a better purchase than another iPad, any other tablet or even the Leap Pad.

We should be able to link it up with our iTunes account and download the appropriate apps that she enjoys.

With all the complaints about 8G being too small, I think it'll be perfect for someone who doesn't really have a music collection larger than one Fresh Beat Band album.

bowlingb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages bowlingb

As far as the refurbishment goes, assume it was not done by Apple. I'm fairly confident that if it was, Woot would say so prominently in the description. I would not be surprised also to find that the refurbishment process invalidated any warranty you might have had from Apple.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
justicepie wrote:
For my 3 year old who is frighteningly savvy with our iPad, this is a better purchase than another iPad, any other tablet or even the Leap Pad.

A *3* year-old with an iPod Touch??? I guess the economy *is* improving. When I was 3, my parent's would have given me the *box* it came in to play with.

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911

I got a 32gb Touch from Woot a bit back (8/17/2011, to replace my 8gb gen2), and it works great. The price was right too.

As for the refurb, I kind of question how thorough it was. There was a minor scratch on the screen, which isn't a huge deal. I was very surprised that a factory reset wasn't at least performed. Mine was still "Mikey's Touch", and password protected. Thankfully Mikey wasn't that creative, and had chosen 1234 as his pass. It still had his music on it.

I'm still happy, but the refurb seemed pretty weak, only consisting of new headphones and charging cable. I have no clue if the same crew refurb'd these.

itsme1964

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsme1964
kjmoore88 wrote:Would like to know if the refurbishing includes a new battery?
(Those on the Apple website do, and without the option of replacing them on your own this could be a concern for me)

No! This has already been answered by many. If it is not an apple reurb, which it is not, you are not getting a new battery. HUGE difference between an official apple reurb, in which they replace almost everything, thoroughly test it and give it a 1 year warranty, versus these 3rd party refurbers who dont do much more other then clean it up and make sure it boots.....

To the poster who said THIS WOOT DEAL gives you whatever warranty is remaining from original buyer. NOPE! This was REFURBED by a 3rd party. ORIGINAL WARRANTY IS NULL AND VOID.

You get a 90 warranty as stated right here on this woot deal. You can purchase a ST warranty, but you may as well buy new if your going to have to plunk down even more $'s.

I agree with every poster who said 8g is not enough. Heck the 8g sell NEW for CHEAP...Why? because 8g is simply not enough for 95% of all users and thats why you can buy a new 8g CHEAP..They wouldnt sell any if they werent available for cheap...sorry, but 8g may be fine for the poster who is getting this for their very young child, but give me a break, 8g (less really as the apple os takes up a large % of that 8g) is nothing......and far too little for most users.....You can walk in to BBY and get 32g+ (not apple itouches) media players that are very good quality for like $25....8g is like.....well, its like time warping backwards....Heck, we are at the point where 32 is not enough for most......and in less then a year, you may find 1 single app that takes up the entire 8g....remember folks, things are getting bigger, not smaller 'memory/space eating' wise.....

llabra

quality posts: 1 Private Messages llabra

So if we purchased the last posting with the higher price. Will we be reimbursed the price difference?

dalvismandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dalvismandy

That's really cheap and that's way people love that

momof3kids78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages momof3kids78

I have found on http://cavalcadeofdeals.com that a new Apple 8GB iPod touch goes for 149.25 plus free shipping.

StanleyS

momof3kids78 wrote:I have found on http://cavalcadeofdeals.com that a new Apple 8GB iPod touch goes for 149.25 plus free shipping.

An *extremely* dubious looking website :-(
Domain registered 2/20/12 (1 strike)
...in France (100 strikes)

itsme1964

momof3kids78 wrote:I have found on http://cavalcadeofdeals.com that a new Apple 8GB iPod touch goes for 149.25 plus free shipping.

The 8gs, NEW LATEST GEN are for sale all over the place for CHEAP....8g simply is not enough.The os alone takes up 12%, give or take a couple % of the alotted memory. Then take in to account that apps, videos, almost everything that goes on your itouch, tablet, phones and etc are getting 'bigger and bigger, MEMORY WISE'....

3 years ago that xxxx app took up 24mb. Today, the same updated app may take up 10x's more.

Developers are not scaling things down, they are scaling them up.....videos take up far more space due to higher quality and etc etc etc...EVERYTHING TODAY TAKES UP MORE SPACE THEN YESTERDAY and the trend will continue. In another year or 3, folks will think 128GIG is not enough. In fact, in 3 years, our wrist watches will have more then 128GIG in memory.

LOL...I remember when TW had DVRS that had like 25gig and one or 2 HD movies was too much for it....Ditto with HD's.....I remember when my 320gig seagate held plenty...now it barely holds anything and even my numerous 2TB's are filling up quickly.

8g is a joke, imo, hence the reason you can buy them for cheap....even 32g's are getting 'outdated' and will be obsolete in no time.

Also, not a fan of 3rd party refurbers...they normally dont do too much....One poster said they got one and it still had the previous owners stuff on it meaning they didnt even take the time to wipe the device....(mikey was not smart leaving his personal info on there...most people are smart enough to wipe the device themselves before they let it go...)frankly, its disturbing to hear that peoples personal stuff is still on there AFTER these 3rd party refurbers are done doing ..well, whatever they do...clean it..make sure it boots, slap it in the box and ship it...But I hear this everyday so it is fairly common with 3rd party refurbers, hence the consumer needs to be a bit smarter before letting any device out of their hands that contains personal info.....

Honestly, look at your local CL ad's. You can buy the 8gs for practically nothing and most include the st extended warranties, accessories and you can see it firsthand, test it firsthand and see the seller face to face and for that matter, you can get 32g's and 64g's very cheap on CL and again, most incluse extended warranties, accessories and again, you can play/test the device and see seller face to face.....

$150 is absurd for a 3rd party refurbed 8g.

They are cheaper new all over and you can move up to more G's and still get a great deal.

Woot has some great deals, but imo, this is not one of them........

tomsspa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tomsspa
StanleyS wrote:A *3* year-old with an iPod Touch??? I guess the economy *is* improving. When I was 3, my parent's would have given me the *box* it came in to play with.

..And, we were HAPPY playing with the box!

itsme1964

scubalab wrote:Says "unavailable for delivery" and comes up $187.98 at my local club. Where did you find it for $167? Would love that price for a new one...

My local sams club has the new 8g for $158.57 (plus tax) with 1 year waranty, in stock, not online..I can walk in and buy it right now....if problems they have a 90 day return policy...Not a 90 day warranty..but 90 days to return for full refund should anything go wrong.....

But, I have no desire for an 8g anything.....Im finding my 32 and 64g devices filling up quickly.....Plus, in my area, CL has tons of higher G models for CHEAP.....

itsme1964

Id be leary of that particular site....plenty of legit sites have it for a similar price and they are trusted sites..the site you referance is not trusted and imo, folks would be nuts to go there...

bkOAiuXk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkOAiuXk

But.......this isn't an Apple refurb!

bkOAiuXk

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkOAiuXk
mbindybb wrote:IS this refurbished by Apple? I have looked through the comments and do not see this information. Thanks.

If this was an Apple refurb it would be shouted LOUD AND PROUD!

Apple refurb = new case and battery + 12 months Apple warranty.

Generic refurb possibly = wipe with damp cloth + 90 day Wile E. Coyote Acme Inc. warranty.

d4tonyd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages d4tonyd

does this come with an ac charger?

Ill By N E Thing

eternaltriumph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eternaltriumph

As a current resident of North Dakota, I can personally vouch. I have met all 52 people in this state, including Elmyra Vanderhooven.

She is a classy lady and in fact not bald. I believe this disqualifies her from being Mr. Jobs.

StanleyS

d4tonyd wrote:does this come with an ac charger?

"In the box:
Apple 8GB iPod Touch, Model No. MC540LL/A (Current Generation)
Dock Connector to USB Cable
Earphones
Quick Start Guide"

...so, no, it doesn't. You use the dock connector to recharge through any USB port (on a computer or USB-equipped charger).