+ Add a Comment

cynjon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cynjon

I've had this exact model for about 6 months now..paid twice this much on fleabay for it and it's worth every penny. I use it almost daily for my lower back pain and it works great. I bought a bunch of extra pads but I find that each set of pads lasts a LOT longer than I figured it would, especially if you put them back on the plastic backing when you're done. I'd estimate that I get 40-50 uses out of each set of pads. For a handheld/battery-powered unit, this one packs quite a punch. I would recommend it based on my experience with it!

rodan32

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rodan32

I use an EMS machine for neck pain. Pads aren't too expensive on Amazon, and they last about 5 sessions for me (about an hour per session, but I imagine it's the sticking/unsticking that does it). The pads can be washed/rinsed to get a little more life out of them, at least the kind I use.

It doesn't solve the underlying problem; I have to watch my posture and do some specific exercises to fix it long term. But in the short term, it does provide relief from pain.

TENS provides similar relief, at least for me, but I prefer the sensation I get from my current EMS machine.

The main advantage I see is it's like having my wife rub my neck for an hour without her actually having to do it. Thank you, Benjamin Franklin, and all you other science guys! The power of lightning harnessed to soothe the discomforts of the age.

meghano1989

quality posts: 5 Private Messages meghano1989

Is this like a STEM treatment that you might receive at a chiropractor? I've had that treatment at my chiropractor and physical therapist and it really helped with the very painful active trigger points (AKA knots) in my shoulder blades. I would love to have that without a $20 co-pay.

Kizzbot

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Kizzbot

I have been using TENS units for over 20 years. All I can say about battery powered units are they are worthless. You need the electrical units as they provide a much larger range of pulsating waves as well as a much strong wave. They battery powered units are just not powerful enough to provide this.

arvs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arvs

40-pack replacement pads for $20:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CMDKX4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1L9NKXDNACY0J

nbirnbaum2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nbirnbaum2

mine ended up with an ex, im in for one BUY THIS!!!!!!!!!!sooo awesome

nathan birnbaum

MegaTom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MegaTom

Don't taze me bro!

bbeamesderfer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bbeamesderfer

Check out the 1-star reviews on Amazon... they break after a couple weeks use or give you an unexpected shock.

acanarelli

quality posts: 197 Private Messages acanarelli
greatwhite35 wrote:Replacement Pads are $17 from that website. You get a better deal if you order 3 Massagers with the Pads from woot for $20 each.

Buying replacement pads from this manufacturer is a very POOR choice if the cost is actually $17 a set. I buy my replacement pads from an on line medical supply house (of which there are many) and pay about $30 for more than a years's supply including shipping.

sjriney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sjriney

I bought this exact unit about 3 months ago because I was diagnosed with a few unfortunate lower back problems that I Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... to detail here. My physical therapist recommended a TENS unite that cost something like $450 and my insurance might cover part of it. This thing did nearly as well as the professional unite she used in her office. It really works well to interrupt pain transmission and provide temporary relief of back pain. It is plenty powerful enough but not too powerful so that you may hurt yourself. People that say this unit "shocked them" or anything along those lines were not applying the pads properly.
Protips from my experiences: DO NOT use the pads that come with it. They are smaller pads that are intended for joints like the knees and elbows. For an area like the lower back. You really need bigger pads which are 2x2 or larger. My favorites are the dura stick plus 2x4 ovals for my lower back, but there are cheaper alternatives.
How long your pads will last varies by which brand, whether your skin is clean when you use them, how long you wear them for, whether you make sure to properly place them on the plastic backing and many other factors. I usually get a good 2 weeks of daily use out of a set of pads. The pads can be purchased in different shapes and sizes off of amazon for reasonable prices. The battery life is surprisingly good on this unit.

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351

What is the TENS gel used for and is it required for properly using this device?

sjriney

Kizzbot wrote:I have been using TENS units for over 20 years. All I can say about battery powered units are they are worthless. You need the electrical units as they provide a much larger range of pulsating waves as well as a much strong wave. They battery powered units are just not powerful enough to provide this.

Dont listen to this guy. Probably has been using these machines for too long and has become desensitized or hasn't tried a modern battery powered unit. Maybe the battery powered units did stink back in the early 90's. This unit is mega powerful. Turning it all the way up will almost hurt.

sjriney

bbeamesderfer wrote:Check out the 1-star reviews on Amazon... they break after a couple weeks use or give you an unexpected shock.

This is a result of improperly using the cheap and small pads that come with the machine. Buy better pads and this will not happen.

betagirl

quality posts: 6 Private Messages betagirl

I'm in for one of these, I'm planning to use it on my shoulders.

I would be lying if I said that I'm not going to try it on my abs as well...

bearxox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bearxox

They should have mentioned if you have a pacemaker, this item can kill you.

The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager features Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) that can help back and neck pain caused by trauma or strain.

WARNING: Electrical stimulation devices should not be used by persons using a cardiac pacemaker who are pregnant have a malignancy or have any conditions where circulation is impaired.

sjriney

jasonking0351 wrote:What is the TENS gel used for and is it required for properly using this device?

TENS gel helps to get proper conductance to the skin from the pads. It is not needed with this unit. It helps when your pads are wearing out, but it is never really needed.

jasonking0351

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jasonking0351
sjriney wrote:TENS gel helps to get proper conductance to the skin from the pads. It is not needed with this unit. It helps when your pads are wearing out, but it is never really needed.

Thanks! I'm in for one.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

Wow. If you all could only see the possibilities I am considering for this in my mind...

smalltwig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smalltwig
hehthuryo wrote:Wow. If you all could only see the possibilities I am considering for this in my mind...

I really hope not. I laughed really hard when I saw this (didn't read the full description at first).

Any who, in for 1

rossrr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rossrr

In for one! Cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor. If it works great for a few weeks, months or years.. I have saved money!

haku

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haku
ThunderThighs wrote:Rather interesting that the same question was asked about the Haan Steam Cleaner on Home.....

marry me Thunder Thighs and make me a happy man.

sdc100

quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

WHY THIS UNIT BORDERS ON MEDICAL FRAUD, and why it may be banned by the FDA if they found out about it (until they change their claims). This is all based on the Amazon description, which came from the manufacturer.

1) It claims to be both TENS and EMS, yet there is no setting to choose between the two. Using the two terms interchangeably is a common mistake, and a sure sign of fraud. TENS uses high frequency and low amperage, while EMS uses low frequency and higher amperage because they do different things. TENS target the nerves and you should feel a buzz, but the muscles shouldn't move. EMS targets the mucles so the muscles should move. TENS DOES NOT FEEL LIKE A MUSCULAR MASSAGE, I.E. KNEADING, BEATING, RUBBING.

2) It claims to be "Ideal for relieving sore muscles caused by exercise, muscle spasms, and carpal-tunnel syndrome." You don't relieve the pain of muscle spasms by causing more muscle spasms! Secondly, carpal-tunnel syndrome causes numbness, and rarely pain, in the fingers. It is caused by compression of nerves. None of the settings have anything to do with the fingers (no, the hand-foot button is something entirely different). No amount of electricity will uncompress the nerves, nor can you alleviate numbness. In fact, electrical stimulation can cause numbness.

3) It claims "This FDA-approved device has been prescriped by doctors, chiropractors, and physical therapists." It is only FDA-approved in the sense that such devices are considered safe. My bet is that this specific devices was never submitted to the FDA, and they're unaware of the claims. In fact, the FDA requires the standard disclaimer on such devices: "This is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition..." -- which is not on the Amazon description. And it has never been "prescribed" by doctors because this DOESN'T REQUIRE A PRESCRIPTION! The TENS and EMS prescribed by doctors cost hundreds of dollars, and are programmed within exacting standards. On the other hand, I bet that this unit doesn't even tell you what frequency or amplitude to use. That is certainly the case with the 15+ units I tested.

4) Unlike many other models, at least this doesn't claim to be based on Qi, accupressure, reflexology or meridians (although programs like sole and waist show its true origins). Instead, it makes claims based on the Western modalities of TENS and EMS. Yet 6 programs have no correlates in Western Medicine. Basically, the programs varies the frequency and intensity in set patterns, sort of like morse code. It makes the sensations less boring but does nothing therapeutic for the soles, waist, joints, etc in terms of TENS and EMS. IN those legitimate therapies, a set frequency is applied throughout the entire session, although intensity is often slowly increased to the maximum of tolerance. It does n't go fast-high-slow-low-fast-low, etc.

Basically, these are fun to play with, and can even feel pretty good. But don't expect any real clinical benefits like you would get with TENS and EMS.

annrcks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages annrcks

order is in. any suggestions on which brand of pads are the best? would like to buy years of supply and different sizes of pads. thanks

haku

quality posts: 1 Private Messages haku

can i use this with a mac ?

under water ?

with green eggs and ham ?

------------------------

i think i am in for at least one.

notaguru

quality posts: 5 Private Messages notaguru

If you examine all the photos, you'll see that it has several location-specific settings. One button is clearly labeled JOINT.

Eliminates the guesswork.

Bouquet of Cauliflower is like Bigfoot

amterpstra

quality posts: 3 Private Messages amterpstra

I think this is dangerous in the hands of people who NEVER read instructions, which generally seems to be many of the technologically 'literate'.
Really...read the foldy pieces of paper with words that come in the box with this thing, and do NOT assume that you are smarter than the people who wrote them. Be smart about what you are doing, realistic with expectations (it will not give you abs of steel, cure your cancer, make your hair grow, or increase your solo intimate pleasure), and use common sense. If it gives even a small bit of muscle pain relief that is better than you felt before you used it, yes? I have used these before with great success and am IN.

It's OK if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right. ~ Wootin' since 2005 and lovin' it!

carbonium

quality posts: 5 Private Messages carbonium

The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional.

WOOT, Your sale of this item is most likely breaking Federal Law and could be subject to prosecution.

"Federal Law (U.S.) restricts the sale of these devices to or by the order of a physician. In accordance with Federal Law, a prescription is required to purchase a TENS unit if you are a patient ordering in the U.S. (replacement patches and accessories do not require a prescription). There are certain instances when a TENS unit or other electrotherapy device should not be used, and your doctor can advise you of these."

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Can this device be used during interrogations to get information out of people?

Truelyscrumptious

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Truelyscrumptious

My sister was coming to visit and I had to rearrange furniture to get the guest bedroom ready. My lower back was a mess when she got here and she loaned me her Tens unit. All I can say is WOW! It relieved enough pain after one sesion that I was able to bend over again.

If she hadn't brought along a mini Tens unit for my birthday present, I would be all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake!

trebonius

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trebonius

Woot's API site seems to be stuck on yesterday's items again. More server trouble?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

haku wrote:marry me Thunder Thighs and make me a happy man.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

sjriney wrote:Dont listen to this guy. Probably has been using these machines for too long and has become desensitized or hasn't tried a modern battery powered unit. Maybe the battery powered units did stink back in the early 90's. This unit is mega powerful. Turning it all the way up will almost hurt.

Pain has nothing to do with therapeutic efficacy. To cause a nerve block, you need to penetrate beyond the skin and these units are simply not programmed or tested to do that. The pain you feel is merely superficial electrical stimulation on the surface of the skin. As an extreme example, getting a painful shock from a toaster is not going to effect a nerve block.

zenophile

quality posts: 6 Private Messages zenophile
Miele wrote:Yeah, so, wooting this woot, as i keep ending up in physical therapy, and they keep using one of these on the same dang muscle in my hip. I may as well get one.

Also...they have certain fun...umm...recreational uses ^_^

can you tell us more about the fun uses... what works and what doesn't? Used wrong I think it could cause some serious pain, or even harm! :D

clintone

quality posts: 12 Private Messages clintone
rossrr wrote:In for one! Cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor. If it works great for a few weeks, months or years.. I have saved money!

I'm not picking on this wooter, but the comment illustrates a concern I have when I see medical items, even something relatively benign as a TENS, sold to the general public. Any chiropractor, PT, or medical doctor worth their salt isn't replaceable with something like this. The healthcare provider not only serves to administer therapy and treatment but also to monitor progress and to determine the root cause of the problem. This comparison of the TENS being more cost effective than the chiropractor is not much different than rationalizing that an aspirin is cheaper than going to the doctor. Sure, it may just be a headache, but it could also be a tumor, an impending stroke, etc.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer about the TENS, but it shouldn't be perceived as an alternative to seeking professional care.

As an aside-for those who are getting hit up to buy a $450 unit, whether by a PT, DC, MD, etc.-don't. Oftentimes it's a dramatic mark up to get maximum reimbursement from insurance. An average run of the mill TENS does not approach those amounts at wholesale.

sdc100

carbonium wrote:The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional.

WOOT, Your sale of this item is most likely breaking Federal Law and could be subject to prosecution.

"Federal Law (U.S.) restricts the sale of these devices to or by the order of a physician. In accordance with Federal Law, a prescription is required to purchase a TENS unit if you are a patient ordering in the U.S. (replacement patches and accessories do not require a prescription). There are certain instances when a TENS unit or other electrotherapy device should not be used, and your doctor can advise you of these."

Yes and no. The law Prospera is likely breaking is claiming that this is a TENS and/or EMS unit. In other words, medical fraud. Claiming to provide a massage and TENS is fraudulent since TENS does not involve muscular contractions (aka massage). This is neither TENS or EMS, so they can probably sell it with the proper disclaimers (i.e. "This is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition"). But based on Prospera's description, they are clearly bordering on fraud. In fact, they claim that the Prospera is "prescribed" by doctors, which is an obvious lie.

shedayz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shedayz

The lower back pad on Amazon has one reviewer saying you need some sort of adapter. Could you guys who have the unit tell me if this is true?

sdc100

jasonking0351 wrote:What is the TENS gel used for and is it required for properly using this device?

You generally don't need conductive gel for these home units since the pads are embedded with gel. If the pads ever become too dry, simply wet it with water. Protect them from dust and oil. You can do that by storing them in a ziploc bag, and washing your skin before putting on the pads.

deecee73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecee73

I rarely make a comment but do read these b/c people have such a great sense of humor around here. However I have to respond to the quote of the "doctor" who disparages Eastern medicine:

Another clown of a western doctor to frown upon Chinese medicine. Acupuncture/acupressure works and that is proven. It has even been used in complement with Western medicine (e.g. to kill pain for open heart surgery - performed with no other anesthesia).

I spent years in pain, getting massages, taking muscle relaxants and suffering after getting hit at a stop light by a sleepy driver who ran a red light. About 8 years later I traveled to see a master acupuncturist [ an MD / PhD. ] from China who used a plug-in unit of these and needles. Within three visits she had fixed me 99%. That was maybe six or seven years ago and I have only been back maybe once or twice for back pain since then. In that time I have sent many friends and co-workers to see this woman and she has fixed problems that Western doctors insisted needed painful surgery (for knees, foot operations, etc.) when all they needed was for the body to heal itself.

Clowns like the doctor that wrote of the "unproven theory" need to be taken out back and...

The person who recommended to me the acupuncturist in question (and I have seen a couple different ones, but there is only one master acupuncturist that I have met) was mangled in a motor vehicle accident and was to have his leg amputated by Western doctors. Ultimately those Western doctors left the leg attached but the man dragged around his leg like a tree stump for years. He developed horrible back pain that his chiropractor and drugs could not address. Within one visit the master acupuncturist had unfrozen the man's ankle and his swollen foot had shrunk back to a normal size (he had to wear different-sized shoes for years).

Just as with Western medicine there are competent and incompetent doctors, the same goes with Eastern medicine. You have to do your homework. Chiropractors have had reported deaths and I know people who have been injured by chiropractors. I know people (including family) who were killed and maimed by Western doctors. I don't know anyone injured or killed by an acupuncturist, but I do know many who were healed/relieved or cured by acupuncturists. At worst, they found the needles hurt or did nothing but give fleeting relief.

Ironically, a Western doctor (very good) at a doc-in-the-box clinic suggested I get one of these types of units about 14 years ago when I was hit by that driver. My insurance didn't want to pay the $750 (understandably) so I returned the unit. At this price I can finally afford one for myself. : D

----------------

I just went back and read that and it sounds nutty and like an infomercial. Oh well, it's the best I can do in the middle of the night. Take it with a grain of salt. Then go feel healthy and happy.

nada

darkfrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkfrog

woot! In for 3, that way when they are banned, I can resell them for triple on CL. ;)

carbonium wrote:The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional.

pickywooty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pickywooty

Do not expect anything permanent. This is a cosmetic fix. I got one regardless.