keithco16

quality posts: 0 Private Messages keithco16
carbonium wrote:The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional.

WOOT, Your sale of this item is most likely breaking Federal Law and could be subject to prosecution.

"Federal Law (U.S.) restricts the sale of these devices to or by the order of a physician. In accordance with Federal Law, a prescription is required to purchase a TENS unit if you are a patient ordering in the U.S. (replacement patches and accessories do not require a prescription). There are certain instances when a TENS unit or other electrotherapy device should not be used, and your doctor can advise you of these."

You should get a life

socks.mark

quality posts: 5 Private Messages socks.mark

Do these do basically the same thing that the ones at my physical therapists office do? Or are they going to be weaker? My physical therapists always look at my funny when I say I can't feel it yet, so I'm guessing I need something with a lot of voltage.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

I read through the comments so far. Few thoughts:
1. Nobody is right all of the time.
2. Nothing is entirely explained by one approach or philosophy (or religion) in life. If people think this product works for them, as long as they can afford it AND aren't putting themselves at significant risk, more power to them. I know that some of you have found it to work for you. That's good. Even if it's placebo, it's your life--I'm not taking the risk myself.
3. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't ask for evidence whenever possible. Get the facts, debate it, think it through. That's what we're here for, I think (and the bargains and some humor). Winging it with your hard earned cash isn't always a good thing.
4. Reading sdc100 over the few years I've been a part of woot, I'm not saying he's always right or perfect. However, whether you agree with him or not, his arguments (even if you disagree with his faith in science) at least is based more on fact, being open minded and thinking about the other side of the argument (i.e., talking to alternative medicine people, reading up on the subject, etc.) than the accusers tonight. This is consistent with how he has tried to help wooters over the years (including with tech stuff).

The arguments against him don't seem to acknowledge that he's tried to see both sides, and the accusers sound like they don't want to acknowledge that he might be right, let alone be open-minded. He's been pretty fair, I would say, civil, kept his composure, and presented his arguments well. Again, that doesn't mean this can't work for you, but at least he makes a good argument why it may not (and the risk). If you're going to base your arguments on government conspiracy or medical establishment conspiracy, either back it up or don't be as fervent to defend it.

5. If you have to put down people (e.g., hippie, anti-religion, clown) in talking about a product tonight, or accuse people of being evil/deceptive, or wish they be "taken out back and...", maybe you need to look at yourself and your approach to life. You can do better than that. (By the way, I believe like a number of others that you can have a religious faith and believe in the scientific method/science/medicine with an open mind.).

End of rant. Have to finish elsewhere.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
notaguru wrote:If you examine all the photos, you'll see that it has several location-specific settings. One button is clearly labeled JOINT.

Eliminates the guesswork.

It even has a location setting for the incarcerated? Very inclusive, this device.

thegomezsymbol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegomezsymbol
sdc100 wrote:4) Unlike many other models, at least this doesn't claim to be based on Qi, accupressure, reflexology or meridians

I couldn't quite grasp the tone but this part should be a plus.

snowtao

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snowtao

"(never use on your head),"

{sigh} Yeah, see? Y'all keep writin' this... and my hope WAS to use it on my head -- cheek muscles to be precise... There are those static exercises yah do on the cheek muscles to pull up the 'old-lady frown' caused by gravity and age? And who has the time to sit and hold the muscle for however many seconds/minutes a day?! I've always thought a good way would be to to slap these things on and let the batteries exercise (and strengthen) the muscles. Doggone it.

thegomezsymbol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegomezsymbol
whatsamattaU wrote:Nothing is entirely explained by one approach or philosophy (or religion) in life.

You mean, "and nothing at all by religion", right? ;)

johnvassel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnvassel
disturbed0ne wrote:Does anyone else see this and think EKG leads?

all the ekg pads I use stick on and the leads clip to them, so no go as replacement parts.

Woots so far
  • 3 B*O*C's
  • 2 Leak Frogs
  • 3 Screaming monkeys v2 (green)
  • bunch of other stuff that I just bought while waiting for these listed items

bkang22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bkang22

I have been using this unit for 2 months, the pads that came with it only lasted for about 6 treatments, I bought the larger ones on Amazon and they are much better. I have frozen shoulder and my insurance only pays for 30 PT visits so I seen this on Amazon and bought it for 20.00 more. I have found for me that setting it on Kneed works best - closer to what I was given at PT but as the name says "pulse massager" so there is a lag at a point, I would love it if it didn't pulse to almost 0 but it does help my muscles! Since this is so much cheaper I have bought another one that I will keep at work which means I can treat myself at work and at home.

dartmar

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dartmar

The device that many PT's use is an EMS unit, not TENS. That is the device that gives the nice muscle contraction, that is both relaxing to the muscle and prepares it for work. TENS supplies stimulation to the nerve to decrease pain. Yes it is useful for those with chronic pain. But, the two do different things. I have a home device, it does not do nearly as well as the device at PT, but for supplemental it works fine.

wodowooter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wodowooter

okaaaaaaaaaay.....

Shock me, jolt me

Does it come with a Screamin' Massage Monkey?

wOOt me 1x

WootMe 3x-BeerMe 2x

charwoman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman

In for two--bought one that uses a 9v battery at absurd expense over ten years ago, after the clinic wanted the one they lent me for my hip back. They 'let me keep it' for over 300$!!! My husband uses it a lot and I felt it was time to try an update. This looks smaller, probably easier to carry around and manage. This way he can have his own. Amazon has some pretty good deals on pads, if you buy a few dozen at a time. You don't want to mess with the pads after they start degrading, especially if you are wearing this under clothes. If they get bunched up, they can bite.

technonaut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technonaut

TENS worked wonders for me. I had a long-running back problem with some tension that just wouldn't go away. My doctor prescribed a TENS unit and after only about 3 days of using it about 4 times a day, the majority of that tension was gone. I then began to taper off the use until I now only use it infrequently. It was a medical grade model, but the effect was nothing less than amazing.

gibbypoo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gibbypoo

I bought this off Amazon for 2.5 times as much and still thought it a steal. I've had it close to a year and it's shortened the recovery time on a pulled hamstring, subluxed shoulder and soothed some aching knees. I've never replaced the pads but have made sure to keep the little piece of clear plastic that it comes with to stick the pads onto when I'm done and the adhesive has stayed sticky throughout.

You can't beat this. In for 1 simply because!

TazoWolf

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TazoWolf

Hoping TENS can help me. Sustained MAJOR trauma last September when high winds forced me off the road on my bicycle. This wouldn't normally be a huge problem, except on Mount Evans, off the road means over a cliff. I fell 30 feet, landing on granite boulders. Helmet was destroyed, and I had 9 spinal fractures, including 3 in my neck. My rib cage and right scapula were fertilizer. Both lungs were punctured, and I nearly lost a kidney and my spleen due to grade 4 and 3 lacerations to those organs respectively.

I'm up and walking, and may even ride a bicycle again, but at the moment pain remains severe. I've just started using TENS as part of my Physical Therapy, but it would be nice to have a unit I can keep for myself.

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

talynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talynn

are the pads and wires latex free?

psbuckley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psbuckley
disturbed0ne wrote:Does anyone else see this and think EKG leads?

"CLEAR!"

talynn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages talynn
cynjon wrote:I've had this exact model for about 6 months now..paid twice this much on fleabay for it and it's worth every penny. I use it almost daily for my lower back pain and it works great. I bought a bunch of extra pads but I find that each set of pads lasts a LOT longer than I figured it would, especially if you put them back on the plastic backing when you're done. I'd estimate that I get 40-50 uses out of each set of pads. For a handheld/battery-powered unit, this one packs quite a punch. I would recommend it based on my experience with it!

where did you get your pads

gesnerj59

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gesnerj59

There's no substitute for a good chiropractor. I get muscle stimulation therapy on my lower back when needed, but like anything else you don't need this all the time. Too much opportunity for overuse/misuse by hypocondriacs.

kspackrat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kspackrat

Amazing price! Pads should get many uses if stored and cared for properly. Battery life prob depends on how long a cycle and @ what intensity you use it. Invest in recharagables? Easy to understand controls. Wish they had this sooner as I broke down and bought one for more $ that is not as user friendly and uses annoying 9v instead of AAA. Big help for my MS. If you have the blue hlth insurance they don't cover these for treatment, crazy when even Medicare does.

sperryguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sperryguy

The Chiroprator has a STIM unit opposed to a TENs Unit. STIMs unit help heal damaged muscle and tissue. This unit is not portable and would be tough to carry around. I wouldnt recommend this for people with real back issue. Go to your doctor or PT for a fitting.

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

Got one for the husband and I. I have tight shoulders and calves most the time. He has back and knee pain most the time. My thought is we will try it with the provided pads and if it works then invest in the $20 for 40 deal on Amazon.

I've been to a chiropractor that used this as part of his therapy. Even on the lowest settings his machine hurt rather then helped (though he refused to let me get treatment without using the damn thing), so if this is less intense all the better for me! Might not work on my husband though. He can be tased and not feel anything.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife

Thanks to sdc100 and whatsamattaU. Coherent and intelligent comments regarding this particular device and the ensuing comments.

sdc100: just remember, once you think you have mastered making your point to the masses, the masses come up with a better tadpole. They generally will believe anything and swallow it with a healthy dose of "I was right, nyah nyah"

I for one would not buy a $20 TENS, EMS or STIM unit made in china. Especially given it does not have any certification or testing or quality control. Yea, I would just love to be the guinea pig for this device.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Be aware of NOT placing these things on your head or in ways that can cause seizures. These are not toys, vibrators or massagers.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
keithco16 wrote:You should get a life

What was wrong with pointing out:

"The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional."

or

"Federal Law (U.S.) restricts the sale of these devices to or by the order of a physician."

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Maximum Depth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Maximum Depth

So in a couple of weeks, we'll see this item on Lifehacker or Instructibles on how to mod it for bigger voltage?

Keep Durham Dangerous

whizzr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whizzr
cappo wrote:It even has a location setting for the incarcerated? Very inclusive, this device.

I thought it was a setting for rolling a fattie. Just goes to show how English is poor communication tool in the wrong hands.

crashnet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crashnet

This is one of those times where I wonder if I should just spend the $25 to find out if it really works. Darn you Woot!

phazeprod

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phazeprod

Best. Line. Ever.

breaddrink wrote:While it's your honesty that I admire the most, the lack of shame is the icing on the cake.

swampisle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swampisle

I get 5-7 sessions out of the gel pads. It helps to shave and clean the overlying skin. Also store the pads with the peel-away protectors in a zip lock bag to prevent drying out. BTW, pad manufacturers do not advise re-use of pads.

vrysen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vrysen

I have been using a TENS/EMS unit for a couple of years. I don't use it for the EMS though. But when my knee is hurting, this baby works wonders. Recently hurt my back and once again, used this to help with the pain.

Couple of links. If you need replacement pads. I use these. I can get about 30 uses before they aren't sticking too well. (I think one of the sets I have I have used well over 40 times now.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ALT5D0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Also for pad placement I refer to this: http://www.energywellnessproducts.com/InformationFiles/EMS_TensPainReliefGuide.pdf

Hope this helps.

lzimmerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lzimmerman

the same one on the product website sells for $39.99 plus $8 shipping.

animallover

quality posts: 6 Private Messages animallover

First thing I thought of when I saw this was the scene in Skin Deep with John Ritter. One of the two funniest scenes in the movie!

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

My two cents:

I have this exact device and I do like it. But it seems to be a LOT stronger than other similar models. One poster here said that the pads were too small and to purchase larger ones. This could be the problem. I found this unit to be too powerful at a setting above 2 (it goes from 1 to 10). It gives quite a shock (at least for me), when set above 3 or 4. I cannot even imagine what 10 feels like. Larger pads might distribute the electrical pulses better.

A small problem with this device is that the control wheels are on the side of it. You could easily “bump” the level from 2 to 8 giving yourself a shock. A different TENS model I purchased had the power level wheel in the center of the unit making it much harder to accidently change the level.

I read sdc100 concerns about this being a true TENS device or not. I really have no knowledge of that but I do know when I had severe back problems about 20 years ago I finally gave in and went to a Chiropractor. She hooked me up to a TENS (or EMS?) device and it was the only thing to give me pain relieve, however temporary. It did not cure me (a muscle relaxer and ibuprofen that a MD prescribed did) but I would have paid ANYTHING to take this device home with me.

To me this feels similar to the professional unit but I certainly have no way of knowing if a $500 unit was much better than an $20 unit with my “sample of one” life experience.

One thing that I found interesting, I purchased a “Prosepra” but I received a “Prospera” device. And in the description it said “Prosepra” over and over. I see that they fixed that error now but makes me worry a little about the quality control.

phazeprod

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phazeprod

I was trying to decide if I wanted this or not, and then I read this! I immediately ordered one, and that is no joke.

carbonium wrote:The Prosepra Electronic Pulse Massager PL009 is a TENS unit and is a class II medical device. This item requires a prescription from a licensed healthcare professional.

WOOT, Your sale of this item is most likely breaking Federal Law and could be subject to prosecution.

"Federal Law (U.S.) restricts the sale of these devices to or by the order of a physician. In accordance with Federal Law, a prescription is required to purchase a TENS unit if you are a patient ordering in the U.S. (replacement patches and accessories do not require a prescription). There are certain instances when a TENS unit or other electrotherapy device should not be used, and your doctor can advise you of these."

djuggler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djuggler

I purchased one of these from an Amazon Goldbox deal and have been extremely pleased. At first I thought it worked once then died however it was user error. Once you click the dial from off to a very low number (think one) and the screen shows a "P" the device is ready. Next you have to actually click a button for the region you are massaging (like waist) and then click a button for the type of treatment you want (massage, beat, knead - I recommend beat as you get used to this). One final warning, do not touch the pads while the device is working! If you need to adjust the pads, click the device to OFF first. I do suggest buying a bottle of Pre-TENS skin prep which will aid in the pads sticking to the skin.

Skype: djuggler * Twitter @djuggler * http://realityme.net

carsongell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages carsongell

Although it looks a little cheaply made it does its job well. You will notice it getting weaker relatively quickly as the batteries drain. This thing chews through batteries fast (i use it on full strength which drains it quicker). With fresh batteries I usually get 4-5 uses before the batteries get too weak. The pads last for two months with regular use if you always put them back on the plastic they came on.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra

How would this work for tendinitis/tennis elbow? I've had it for about four months, restricting use of that arm (e.g. no heavy lifting). But, now that spring is sprung here in Colorado, I'm itching to get on the golf course. However, I don't want to worsen my condition and then have to lay low all summer. Will this help even a little?

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy
leggs1959 wrote:TENS units are great! They've been a part of my treatment at the chiropractor and in physical therapy sessions. If you have muscle tension and have never experienced TENS , I suggest buying one. Twenty minutes use will loosen up any tension that you might have and will give relief to sore aching muscles.

I find it very strange that someone that joined on Jan 12th, 2007 and without a single purchase - would leave THIS as their first comment.

coyhaven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coyhaven

http://www.lgmedsupply.com/electrodes.html

Also hint on the reuse of pads-fist clean your skin with alchol before putting pads on then after you are done with the pads put them on the plastic they came on this extends the life of the pads.

Pads are normally universal for these units you can call where ever you want to buy pads from normally toll free and make sure. the p ads come in a range of shapes and sizes. these units are normally just as powerful as the ones in the dr office-that said you have to know where to put them-here is a helpful pdf
www.tenscare.co.uk/images/pdf_files/Clinical_Applications_IF4160+_u404.pdf

You can also get socks,belts & gloves for these units too

Sorry if any of this has been said I didnt read through all 4 pages of comments!
Love mine it has helped a lot