ainterr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainterr

Call TomTom and say you think you didn't get your free map update or make something up about not getting a Live trial or something and they will give you a free map update. Trust me on this one.

Also, IQ Routes is great! It always knows how to get around normal traffic.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

I paid $10 less for the refurbished model. So this is a really good price. TomTom runs a very close second to Garmin.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

alan0123

quality posts: 11 Private Messages alan0123

Great Deal, this Sells for $102 to $159 on Amazon.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion
annieflies wrote:Is this geocache friendly? Can you enter coordinates into it or just addresses? Does it have pedestrian mode for when you are on foot?

No on geocaching, but there could be an app or POI pack you can load for that. I don't know offhand but TomTom has a bunch of downloadable stuff.

There is no pedestrian mode (this thing isn't really pocket-friendly anyway, I've tried).

Yes you can enter coordinates.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

gobears99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gobears99

Is there a market for these? Who uses these anymore? Most cars have navigational systems or one can use your smartphone.......

GURABoy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages GURABoy
darrencg wrote:Who is still buying these when EVERY smart phone out there does navigation? I guess... people without smart phones!

True enough. These are ultimately going the way of buggy whips and point-and-shoot cameras. In the next few years, however, if you are beyond the range of smartphone company wireless coverage (which a large part of North America is at the moment) a on-dash or handheld GPS could still be useful.

equazcion

quality posts: 65 Private Messages equazcion
darrencg wrote:Who is still buying these when EVERY smart phone out there does navigation? I guess... people without smart phones!

Single-purpose devices like GPS's are generally much more reliable than smart phones. They don't have full-fledged operating systems that freeze and/or need to be reset.

That and, plenty of people still want something separately mountable and always-on for navigation. Smart phones are nice but it's less convenient to juggle between phone and GPS functions on the same device while driving.

Have you been eating that sandwich again?

theimmc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages theimmc
annieflies wrote:Is this geocache friendly? Can you enter coordinates into it or just addresses? Does it have pedestrian mode for when you are on foot?

I would suggest using a Nuvi for geocaching, because you can install geocaches as custom POI on a Nuvi, and get description + hints + recent logs (provided you're a premium member). With the TomTom, all you get is a name and coordinates.

I couldn't find coordinate entry or pedestrian mode looking at the manual.

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/xxl/ReferenceGuide-US/refman/TomTom-XXL-en-US.pdf

I recommend a handheld for geocaching in any case. Get a used Garmin Oregon 300 and install maps from OpenStreetMaps.

jamesonbirrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesonbirrell

@w00tgurl Are you joshing me?

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

Lifetime maps or not, Car GPS units like this seem to be gradually falling into the abyss of unnecessary gadgets.

Any android or iOS phone will have a GPS via the App Store (and free like MapQuest v4.0).

That and you have to lug that thing around or you won't need lifetime maps as it will get stolen the one time you leave it in your vehicle.

I will say that handheld GPS units made for camping/hiking/forestry stuff are still necessary... but don't waste your money if you already have a phone with GPS.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

sigh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sigh

TomTom is DumbDumb. I have a 3-year old TomTom with lifetime traffic and map updates. Nonetheless, it continues to call I-405 in LA "4 West 5" and the Dulles Toll Road in the WDC area "Reston Parkway." Reston Parkway is one of the streets that crosses the road to the airport. Map updates haven't helped.

gwbaker

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gwbaker

Great GPS....

There are those that are predicting the death of GPS's because of smart phones and google. But, what a lot of people do not understand is that once you get in a rural area that has spotty, if any, data coverage you smart maps becomes useless unless you have a GPS app with preloaded maps.

A real gps with preloaded maps will work anywhere it can see the sky.

But, I would NOT get this unit. For about $60 more you can get a GPS with lifetime MAP updates. This one only comes with lifetime traffic updates. Lifetime map udates will stretch a unit's life and save you a lot of money if you need current maps.

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

rkstevens

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rkstevens

Can we have one time when a standalone GPS device is on Woot where we don't have to sit through dozens of comments from know-it-alls telling us that their smartphones can do GPS and we don't need a standalone device? It'd be nice to be able to read comments by people who have either used the device or another manufacturer's device and listen to what they have to say without sifting through these useless comments.

Here's a hint -- people who have a smartphone already know that their phone can do GPS and have decided they're still interested in a standalone GPS so there's no need to talk them out of it. People who don't have smartphones by now may not be in the market to get one and I doubt they're going to run out and pay a $70+/month phone bill -- almost the price of this GPS -- just to to be able to use GPS on their phone.

I know the point of this part of Woot is to talk about the item but those useless comments add nothing to the discussion. It's as bad as when there's an OOMA or cordless phone and everyone wants to tell us we no longer need landline phones. I think some people just like hearing themselves and showing everyone how much smarter than everyone they think they are.

acker009

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acker009
devexityspace wrote:Lifetime maps or not, Car GPS units like this seem to be gradually falling into the abyss of unnecessary gadgets.

Any android or iOS phone will have a GPS via the App Store (and free like MapQuest v4.0).

That and you have to lug that thing around or you won't need lifetime maps as it will get stolen the one time you leave it in your vehicle.

I will say that handheld GPS units made for camping/hiking/forestry stuff are still necessary... but don't waste your money if you already have a phone with GPS.

I have to disagree. When using your smartphone, what happens when you get a call? You answer it, and you have to then balance your conversation with trying to listen for the next direction. Plus, live traffic updates on a smartphone eats through data. I bought one, just because by me having one it frees up my smartphone to play music/be a phone/do anything else I want it to.

lightsmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lightsmith1

I have Garmin and like it. My friend has a Tom Tom and to put briefly, it is s==t. We use mine.

catheew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catheew
rkstevens wrote:Can we have one time when a standalone GPS device is on Woot where we don't have to sit through dozens of comments from know-it-alls telling us that their smartphones can do GPS and we don't need a standalone device? It'd be nice to be able to read comments by people who have either used the device or another manufacturer's device and listen to what they have to say without sifting through these useless comments.

Here's a hint -- people who have a smartphone already know that their phone can do GPS and have decided they're still interested in a standalone GPS so there's no need to talk them out of it. People who don't have smartphones by now may not be in the market to get one and I doubt they're going to run out and pay a $70+/month phone bill -- almost the price of this GPS -- just to to be able to use GPS on their phone.

I know the point of this part of Woot is to talk about the item but those useless comments add nothing to the discussion. It's as bad as when there's an OOMA or cordless phone and everyone wants to tell us we no longer need landline phones. I think some people just like hearing themselves and showing everyone how much smarter than everyone they think they are.

foal? get used to it. many other sites give better reviews...these are usually rants and can get pretty entertaining.

vcayenne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vcayenne

My first Woot comment - hoping to provide good warning. I bought one of these the last time it was wooted and it rests in the drawer of rejection wherein it will stay forever.

The device's battery did not work so it was dead unless plugged in. TomTom support was pitiful, even dismissive and I should simply have returned it to Woot but, alas, I spent too much time with TomTom support getting the maps to update in the first place to be in good time to realize the battery problem. The initial map update simply didn't work. TomTom's support had me go through a procedure that (their error) wiped the map. The next rep took quite some time to come up with procedure and authorization to reinstall the map, after which the update went well. Consumed at least 3 hours of my time over a few days.

The mount didn't really work well with my vehicle's windscreen angle so the view from the driver's seat was slightly off and you needed to lean slightly. The clip on the mount popped off at the slightest touch, making it frustrating and dangerous to try to adjust the driver's view just mentioned. And then there are the voices... After the first two tries, my wife simply decided that the TomTom would never be used by her. The pronunciations are woefully inadequate, there's a clipping of many words, the tones are thin - it's like driving with a whiny, annoying passenger who just happens to be the only one who knows the way to Tipperary. We tried every voice and eventually she'd simply, on entering the car, unplug the TomTom and plug in the old Garmin.

In it's favor, the lane view, screen size, and display elements on the TomTom were preferred by me. But it all truly fell apart with those voices. There's no excuse for driving with a nag that sounds like a toothless hag.

We continue to use the old TomTom that I'd intended to replace...

craigthom

quality posts: 63 Private Messages craigthom

If you check the comments on any GPS Woot has sold you'll find this question asked and answered over and over.

ehuelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehuelle

The reason my dedicated GPS is much better than my smartphone for giving directions:

1. My smartphone does not speak. My GPS even gives all the names for major streets/highways/interstates.
2. The GPS has a much bigger screen.
3. My GPS has several different ways to view the map. (1st person, 3rd person from back of car, 3rd person ariel)
4. My smart phone does not have night maps.
5. My GPS came with it's own mount.
6. My smartphone's maps are... not the most accurate.

It's about preference. If you'd rather have a small screen that you constantly have to goober with to figure out EXACTLY where your next exit is, by all means, use your smart phone. If you'd rather just type in the address and have your GPS do the rest - use a GPS.

I wouldn't recommend any GPS that doesn't have lifetime map updates though. Roads change too frequently for just 1 update.

b2pi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages b2pi

Although I generally use Waze, 'cause I'm hip and cool (amazing at my age), I have one of these. I've had Garmins for years, and this is my first TomTom. Entering directions is quite easy, actual navigation is mediocre at best, just like the Garmins and apps. But the voice idiosyncrasies of this drive me nuts. "Take the exit right." "In one mile, prepare to turn left." And the one that always makes me shake my head, "In 400 yards, go straight on."

• 6 Dec, 2011... My First Bag O' Crap... 'twas crappy
  • 19 Jan, 2012... My second. Better, but still.... Crappy. I nevertheless remain undaunted and hopeful

awarner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awarner

Sorry Woot, but the eggy sellers had a similar model for the $89 with free shipping and lifetime maps. A year of maps is more than you'll spend on this one. Just missed the boat.

ckbwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ckbwoot

shashwat23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shashwat23

Around Washington DC and Baltimore, I-95 construction has been going on forever and lots of things have changed in 3 years I have been around. So I would disagree.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
ehuelle wrote:The reason my dedicated GPS is much better than my smartphone for giving directions:

1. My smartphone does not speak. My GPS even gives all the names for major streets/highways/interstates.
2. The GPS has a much bigger screen.
3. My GPS has several different ways to view the map. (1st person, 3rd person from back of car, 3rd person ariel)
4. My smart phone does not have night maps.
5. My GPS came with it's own mount.
6. My smartphone's maps are... not the most accurate.

It's about preference. If you'd rather have a small screen that you constantly have to goober with to figure out EXACTLY where your next exit is, by all means, use your smart phone. If you'd rather just type in the address and have your GPS do the rest - use a GPS.

I wouldn't recommend any GPS that doesn't have lifetime map updates though. Roads change too frequently for just 1 update.

What smart phone do you have?

rwdavis2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwdavis2

If the phone has no data connection then you eventually run out of maps and the thing is useless.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

I got one. I don't need a gps on a daily basis but when I do need one it's on a long road trip out in the country where the roads don't change much and when they do change names I want the old traditional names --those are the names the locals use.

From the comments this sounds ideal for my uses.

bdutton

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bdutton

I love my TomTom. I got the same one about 18 months ago. I downloaded the Mr Burns voice for it. Cracks me up.

"Make a sharp right turn... do it!, or I'll crawl out of this thing and give you such a THRASHING!!!"

kitepower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kitepower
acker009 wrote:I have to disagree. When using your smartphone, what happens when you get a call? You answer it, and you have to then balance your conversation with trying to listen for the next direction. Plus, live traffic updates on a smartphone eats through data. I bought one, just because by me having one it frees up my smartphone to play music/be a phone/do anything else I want it to.

Exactly!!! I have no desire to use my phone as a gps unit. I want to be able to do all the other smart things on my phone rather than have it tied up pretending to be a gps.

I'm still using an old Tom Tom which is about 4-5 years old so time for an update. I'm in for one.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090
RebelTaz wrote:Some of us will NEVER own a "smartphone." Actually, I don't even own a cellphone! I know, right? I must be living in the stone age or something!

This GPS might work better for you

ziggyo7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ziggyo7
ame92c wrote:Who needs NAV when we have smart phones that perform even better? :/

A GPS is useful if you live in a very hot area and commute for 30+ minutes and your phone overheats from being used as a GPS.

jminnion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jminnion

I have the XXL 550 from the last time it came up on woot (when the description initially said it included lifetime maps and traffic but later had to be changed).

I've used it a few times since then and it's a good GPS. At this point most GPS units will have comparable features anyway, though I do prefer the TomTom software to Garmin.

The size of the screen is great, it makes it very easy to read and use.

The spoken directions are clear and easy to understand.

As for map updates, I wouldn't worry too much about not having lifetime maps. By the time your maps become out of date, it may be several years down the road and your GPS needs or the state of GPS tech may have changed. This is my second GPS, upgraded from a tiny Navigon whose maps are still basically valid after 2+ years. Roads don't change THAT much.

Anyway I'd recommend this one.

CatCK

quality posts: 51 Private Messages CatCK

I have a Garmin with a 5" screen, and I love it. I used to have a smartphone that had GPS, but I still used the Garmin. I like the screen size such that I can do a quick glance at the map w/o taking my hands off the wheel to pick up the phone to squint at the map. Even if I got a dash mount for the phone, the screen would be too small. I also got the lifetime map update, but paid extra for it.

Also, with the stand-alone GPSs, you don't have to worry about the phone signal.

Have never used the TomTom GPS, but wanted to comment on the GPS vs smartphone debate.

rosey1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rosey1
showcaller wrote:There's alot to be said about a stand alone dedicated box sitting on your dashboard that won't stop because you have a weak signal to your smart phone.

Also that you have to pay to use the nav software on your phone on a per use...weekly or monthly basis...hard to hear and hard to drive with a phone in your hand as well as unsafe. I like having my nav on the dashboard.

rosey1

gak0090 wrote:This GPS might work better for you

LMAO!!!!

sejarzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sejarzo

No, I have an iPhone and in areas where coverage isn't fantastic, it doesn't update quickly enough. It's also prone to losing GPS signal quite often. The larger screen on a standalone GPS also is of great value to those of older folks with diminishing vision versus what's on an iPhone.

ultrawolf

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf
theimmc wrote:I couldn't find coordinate entry or pedestrian mode looking at the manual.

Coordinate entry is one of the features missing on the "simpler" XXL550 versus the XXL540. The XXL550 also lacks multi-stop itineraries. I use itinerary planning a lot on my smaller TomTom (XL340). Look here for a spreadsheet showing all features of the various TomTom models:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/t21826-tomtom-model-feature-reference-updated-11-2-2011-a.html

ultrawolf

compmikey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compmikey
pennster wrote:If you're driving in Jackson or Sutter Creek, you're unlikely to need GPS since the towns together have a total of maybe 15 roads. But maybe you just appreciate the company of the soothing voice while you drive.

Driving down the road playing with your smart phone to get directions looks a lot like texting while driving which means a ticket in many states. GPS units, while admittedly distracting, don't fit into that category. Besides, how does that smart phone with the 5-inch display fit in your pocket?

Iisaic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Iisaic

I bought two (woot) Garmins several years ago. One for me, and one for guests that come to visit. We have a summer place in a recreation area on the river so I loaded the guest gps with restaurants, bars, fast-food, recreation and other places they might be interested in, and homed it on the river place so they can find their way back. That gives them independance to venture out on their own.

Iisaic

rosey1

Dorsai! wrote:I suppose it depends if there are new roads in your area. We have a major new road in our area and my current GPS doesn't know it exists and anywhere I go around town, it's clueless as a result.

I've also entered a number of addresses that it simply doesn't recognize, even though those addresses have been around for a few years now.

If they didn't charge almost as much for a map upgrade as the lower tier GPS's cost, it would be a different story. No way does it make sense to spend $59 or so for a map upgrade when I think I paid $89 for my ~3 year old GPS.

Doesn't recognize them because those roads were never digitized after being created. This happens ALOT in the mountains and VERY RURAL areas. Not the GPS fault...the builder...local or state government is at fault...the satellites just don't recognize them.

Jeep274

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jeep274
Dorsai! wrote:If this had lifetime maps instead of traffic, I'd have bought this. No lifetime maps = no sale.

Sorry, woot.

Ditto! Need the lifetime maps. Maybe next time.