bloke1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloke1

Stay away from Tom Rom!! Their life time period is not your lifetime period!! I will never, EVER, buy another Tom Tom again. Their lifetime is about 3 to 5 years depending on whom you speak with at their support center/office/hole in the wall. They are hot living up to their promise. Go elsewhere to get a good or even better GPS from someone else. Stay far away from Tom Tom.

ejeansonne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejeansonne
ame92c wrote:Who needs NAV when we have smart phones that perform even better? :/

People who have owned both. Smart Phones are really not that smart yet.

rob5622

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rob5622

Where did you buy that at?

togamoos

quality posts: 2 Private Messages togamoos
ziggyo7 wrote:A GPS is useful if you live in a very hot area and commute for 30+ minutes and your phone overheats from being used as a GPS.

Man, is that really all they have left? Time to dump that Garmin stock.

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9

I bought one of these here about a year and a half ago - I think it was $99 or maybe $119 at the time. It is better than the GPS in my new car. It is better than the GPS on my phone. It monitors automobile speed, is easily controllable, easily mountable, holds a charge fairly well, is extremely convenient, and it is big enough to be visible without being overly huge. (Nobody wants an iPad in their window cause if it is distracting to text-n-drive, imagine how distracting it would be to AngryBirds-n-drive)

The only problem I've had is that it could not find a satellite in the middle of New York City. But I think that is a GPS problem, not tom-tom. Reception came back once I left the big apple.

Highly recommended.

bernardhny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bernardhny

I have had a GPS from every modern maker, and I have to say that Tom Tom is the worst producer of GPS devices on the planet. Stick with Garmin or Magellan. The only positive for this GPS is it does not have all of the crap bells and whistles you would never use that the other makers pack on to the GPS raising the price to unfriendly levels.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
jeffiekins wrote:

And, what's this lifetime traffic, but no map updates? Okay, one map update. Still, pretty meh.

Yep - pretty meh at best. On one hand if roads you travel are not being updated, maybe not much of an issue, but the other hand says the one time map updates will really leave you behind in a few years, and TomTom really charges a LOT for upgrades later. Pay retail & get lifetime maps and you will be $$ ahead.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
jakerson9 wrote:... It is better than the GPS in my new car. It is better than the GPS on my phone.

Indeed most Sat Navs in autos really suck, and even more so when you get to the point of wanting a map update.... But really, we can do better than this offer which also has only one (1) map upgrade.

gesnerj59

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gesnerj59

I picked up a TomTom on Woot last year. VERY handy.

And as for the "who needs one of these when you have a smartphone"... Next time someone in your family needs to find their way around on vacation, just let them borrow your phone. Or how about when you're traveling and that phone call comes in right when you enter a heavy merge area or a crucial connection in another city.

But then, there's plenty of all in one boom boxes still out there for folks like you... :-)

qt11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qt11

No life time maps is a real deal breaker. I purchase a previous TomTom offer from Woot which didn't have maps or traffic and I didn't think I needed them.

I do and you will too.

The TomTom system itself is pretty good, shame about the map updates though

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet

No need for any GPS, soon you won't be able to afford driving anyplace but the neighborhood grocery store.
GPS the most overrated hyped tech toy ever invented, turning people into lost little lambs unable to find the nearest Target store.

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron

I drive limos on the weekend, and I love this GPS. The traffic updates are a godsend when you are rushing to get the bride to the church on time. I don't know what I would do without the traffic updates.

Highly recommended from me. And don't listen to people talk bad about TomTom. I own 3. The only GPS brand I would use.

Quality post? Me??

cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
gravityisweak wrote:I don't know why people get upset about not getting lifetime maps. I haven't updated my TomTom for at least 4 years, it still gets me where i need to go, or at least close enough for common sense to get me the rest of the way. The major highways and exits don't change much.

Me thinks this was an important feature a few years ago when the maps were not yet complete. Nowadays, not so much.

waylandsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waylandsmith

Out on no lifetime map.

biggoron

cjpowers wrote:Me thinks this was an important feature a few years ago when the maps were not yet complete. Nowadays, not so much.

Agreed. I updated once in the 2 years i've had the GPS. There's just no need. If it's telling you to turn right on a street thats a one way the wrong way, dont turn. Simple

Quality post? Me??

waylandsmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waylandsmith
biggoron wrote:I drive limos on the weekend, and I love this GPS. The traffic updates are a godsend when you are rushing to get the bride to the church on time. I don't know what I would do without the traffic updates.

Highly recommended from me. And don't listen to people talk bad about TomTom. I own 3. The only GPS brand I would use.

I have owned tom tom and garmin, in my personal experience the addresses in residential areas are more accurate on the garmin. Not that garmin maps are perfedt by any means. Other than that, I really have no complaints on either brand-

cscrudder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cscrudder

If I got this, the first address I would put in would be:

4121 International Parkway
Carrollton, TX 75007

Only 277 miles away!

psychobrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychobrew

I would trade my Garmin in for this in a heartbeat if it had lifetime maps. I hate my Garmin. Too many little annoyances. I also want IQ Routes (my Garmin is constantly directing me in to traffic hotspots in areas I'm unfamiliar with). I also hate how my Garmin auto zooms as you approach a turn -- this makes the turn look farther away and I often miss my street because of that.

biggoron

waylandsmith wrote:I have owned tom tom and garmin, in my personal experience the addresses in residential areas are more accurate on the garmin. Not that garmin maps are perfedt by any means. Other than that, I really have no complaints on either brand-

Other drivers I know use Garmin, and alot of the times their GPS sends them to the address, but from the wrong direction. Not easy to pull a u-turn in Manhattan or anywhere in a car the length of a bus. The TomTom 99% of the time gets it right.

Quality post? Me??

biggoron

Re: Lifetime Maps

You realize that by the time the roads change that much, in 5-10 years, you'll be buying a new GPS anyway right?

Quality post? Me??

topfuelweimar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topfuelweimar
gak0090 wrote:This GPS might work better for you

Ahahaha! That's great!

jminnion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jminnion
worldwidewebfeet wrote:No need for any GPS, soon you won't be able to afford driving anyplace but the neighborhood grocery store.
GPS the most overrated hyped tech toy ever invented, turning people into lost little lambs unable to find the nearest Target store.

I'd rather be a "lost little lamb" than a pedantic pessimist any day!

biggoron

worldwidewebfeet wrote:No need for any GPS, soon you won't be able to afford driving anyplace but the neighborhood grocery store.

So you think using GPS to find people lost at sea, or help the military isn't useful?

While I do agree that people who use it to goto routine places are tadpoles. I know someone who plugs in a GPS everyday to goto work.

Quality post? Me??

tpdaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpdaman

This thing is terribel. I actually have 2. Never can find a signal and drops off parts off addresses. If I didn't know better, i would think it was the first GPS ever made. This model IS about 3.5 years old.

PaPaBear66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PaPaBear66

I bought one of these last time it was on Woot & I'm sorry I did.The screen won't brighten up enough to see unless it's up against your face!! My Garmin Nuvi 1450 is a 1000% better unit & far more easier to use!!!

biggoron

PaPaBear66 wrote:I bought one of these last time it was on Woot & I'm sorry I did.The screen won't brighten up enough to see unless it's up against your face!! My Garmin Nuvi 1450 is a 1000% better unit & far more easier to use!!!

did you adjust the brightness?

Quality post? Me??

ejlackey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejlackey
biggoron wrote:
While I do agree that people who use it to goto routine places are tadpoles. I know someone who plugs in a GPS everyday to goto work.

Perhaps they use the realtime traffic updates, which this device has!

As for smartphones, anyone know how many GPS receivers are in one? My 5 year old Tom Tom has 12 receivers. Easily acquires GPS in partial open sky view, and even sitting in my garage.

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

I have a Tom Tom and a Garmin.

The Garmin is a better unit in all but one area.

On one certain stretch of highway locally, the TomTom tells you to exit on the ramp then immediately directs you to proceed to the on ramp to get back on the highway. Also, coming to my house, it apparently thinks I live at Wal-Mart, since it tells me to turn right to go there instead of left down the major street leading to my house. Several other times, the TT makes a weird call out of nowhere. Have not experienced this with the G.

The TomTom seems to suffer from gas pump/lawyer syndrome worse than the Garmin. In other words, you are asked 15 questions any time you want to do anything. Do you want a receipt? Do you want a car wash? Is your car red? Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Do you have an Aunt named Mabel? YES JUST NAVIGATE FOR *&$# SAKE. It seems that you have to press more keys to get to the menu you want or to actually navigate somewhere. If you search for a POI or something, there are about 15,000 "back" presses if you change your mind on the TT. Garmin interface seems more intuitive, it's faster to change destination or enter one.

The TT has one advantage. It's more customizable. You can more easily put funny voices on it, change map colors, etc. Wider variety of options. If you want Beavis and Butthead's voices on your navi, get the TT.

Too bad the actual navigation and interface is subpar.

I recommend Garmin. I've owned 2 of each and would not buy another TT.

vlewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vlewis

This would be a great deal if TomTom didn't take you around the North Pole to get across the street.

Girl Cop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Girl Cop

Don't do it! I had the XXL 550 with lifetime traffic and maps. Stopped working two months after the warranty expired. Tom Tom people not only could not or would not repair it at my expense, they could not refer me to any company that could fix it.

bobbygeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbygeorge

While this is an excellent price, Consumer Reports rates this unit near the bottom of their 5" GPS tests.

bobbygeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobbygeorge

I suppose you want to bring back the Model T, and stop at every gas station for paper maps and directions. It's obvious you do no serious driving. Just as well -- stick to your nearest grocery store!

kdorff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdorff

I use an old Tomtom One for my "backup" GPS (when one of us goes out of town, etc.) and I'd love to get a nicer one. This almost fits the bill, BUT, the lack of an SD or MicroSD slot kind of sucks. 2GB is barely big enough to hold maps and voices, IMO. To fit in 2GB with voices you have to use reduced size maps.

Donfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Donfrank

Map updates are about $60 essentially making this a disposable item after a few years. Don't understand why the GPS companies don't drop the cost by about 2/3 for updates. Think they would earn more if they did. Can't imagine someone paying $60 when a newer model is not much more $'s

dansherpa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dansherpa

Does this unit display the current speed limit?

tbase

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbase

Back in the day I spent big bucks on a brand new TomTom BlueTooth GPS receiver and maps for my Treo and Laptop. When I went to get my one free map update, their system kept saying the key was invalid. I spent over a month back and forth with support, and they not only couldn't fix the issue, but they wouldn't make it right either. Any company that cared about their customers would have honored the free map update one way or another, even if it meant sending me the update via snail mail. Fast forward years later, I still get spammed by them, and the only way to get off their list is to log into your account and unsubscribe from there. And of course when I try to log in with the retrieve password link, I get an error saying try again later. I don't know of a single brand that angers me more by the mere mention of its name than TomTom.

THIS PLACE HAS BIG BUILDINGS.
I LIKE FOOD.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
gravityisweak wrote:I don't know why people get upset about not getting lifetime maps. I haven't updated my TomTom for at least 4 years, it still gets me where i need to go, or at least close enough for common sense to get me the rest of the way. The major highways and exits don't change much.

That is a horrible attitude about maps. If you already know where you are going, why have a gps at all? Roads are changing all the time, including major freeways. Frankly, this woot! isn't all that great without lifetime, that is a key feature. I might have bought this on impulse if it had lifetime.

rgoodlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgoodlin

No lifetime Maps. Waste of money

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

How do you change the voice?

qt11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages qt11
biggoron wrote:Re: Lifetime Maps

You realize that by the time the roads change that much, in 5-10 years, you'll be buying a new GPS anyway right?

Its not so much as keeping up to date with new roads, more the case of fixing issues with the map that you've currently got.

I run into many issues where the routing magically wants me to pick up my car and carry it from the freeway underpass and vertically onto the freeway. Routing to work from home, 20 miles in Houston, I run into this several times.....

There are many times when the maps contain the wrong information for routing, its these updates that are important.

A