Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
Donfrank wrote:Map updates are about $60 essentially making this a disposable item after a few years. Don't understand why the GPS companies don't drop the cost by about 2/3 for updates. Think they would earn more if they did. Can't imagine someone paying $60 when a newer model is not much more $'s

To be fair, they all offer Lifetime maps as a separate purchase for under $100. That is a much better purchase than one map update.

Bandrik

quality posts: 79 Private Messages Bandrik
brossmell wrote:I like the Sean Sean better

Funny you should say that. I use Sean Connery for my Tom Tom voice. Thus, I call it my Sean Sean. :D

tigerxchaos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos
darrencg wrote:Who is still buying these when EVERY smart phone out there does navigation? I guess... people without smart phones!

Good luck using that navigation on your smart phone when you're in a rural area that doesn't have 3G, or even 2G...just G.

billyush

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billyush
ThunderThighs wrote:I like the map features on my GPS better than my iPhone. //shrug

Same here...
To me, it is a necessary to own a portable/auto GPS...the are so inexpensive...they are much larger than your cell phone display and typically much better than you cell phone (for GPS) in general...

But, sorry, do NOT by a GPS from TOMTOM that doesn't have an "M" in the model number!!!!

M=Maps
T=Traffic

I have owned 5 TomTom devices...

Currently, the TOMTOM VIA 1535TM
and the other (can't remember the exact numbers-but it is a TM) that I handed down to my wife when I got the VIA.

SpencerD27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SpencerD27
bmrbill wrote:C-Net review.

Tom Tom is bottom of the barrel when it comes to Navigation Devices, but its better than nothing. I would suggest buying a Garmin or using the handy dandy Google navigation app for smartphones instead.

diamonddog1111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamonddog1111
darrencg wrote:Who is still buying these when EVERY smart phone out there does navigation? I guess... people without smart phones!

You need an internet connection for GPS to work with a smartphone. Not everywhere is there 3/4G.

jkgunns25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkgunns25

i am in the military stationed in Europe. Does any one know if there are European maps available?

nfrench207

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nfrench207

I'm never clear on the inclusion of traffic updates. On the TomTom I have had for 3 years (Go 730), I found that in order to use the traffic update feature, I had to use data on my iPhone. I've just finished reading the entire manual for the XXL550T and it does not mention this requirement. Rather, it requires an external receiver that utilizes your FM band to get updates. This isn't clear enough for me - would love an explanation from a current user. I'm assuming the WOOT doesn't include the receiver...and I don't really want to tie up my FM radio. Not to mention that traffic is never that important in my corner of the world to start with. More useful when traveling to unknown cities...but still wouldn't really be utilized more than a few times a year. I think I'm passing on this one - would prefer the lifetime maps. HOWEVER, I would also share with anyone considering a first time TomTom purchase...the required software (TomTomHome) for map upgrades and voice downloads is a HORRID application. Entirely klugey and with even more abysmal tech support. On occasion you'll get someone that's helpful, but the device and software just simply do not behave as they should when connected. The PC version is slightly better than the MAC, but both leave a lot to be desired which is why my maps have gone so thoroughly out of date. I'd rather have a functioning unit with some small map issues than to lose all of my Favorites and Home location - which is what happens every time I connect the device to the PC/Mac.

So to recap - anyone have direct experience with the traffic update feature?

gramasheemie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gramasheemie

great GPS

My Magellan recently died, and I picked up a TomTom, which has proven to be more reliable and easier to use. I also get a kick out of the voices you can purchase. John Cleese rocks!

liamscanlan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages liamscanlan

I bought this model about 6 or 8 months ago via off woot, and I was disappointed for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the free updates period had expired, so clearly it was old stock. Secondly, it had the older operating system, more primitive than the one I replaced even. (It didn't have the security code option, so that if it gets stolen, it's useless to person who steals it),
Anyway, think about that compromise.
Just because it is bigger than the basic model doesn't make it better. To be honest, the smaller size didn't take one iota from the quality of the TomTom I replaced.
make sure it has the security code entry feature. Then you'll know it's a newer model.

schulerr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schulerr

I own the XL Live which is great. It has Google so I can do a local search and have it give me directions to wherever I want to go. Also it gives me fuel prices on my route or I can find the cheapest fuel in the area.

Unfortunately I don't think the one on woot! today has live services. I'd save your money for a more expensive Live version.

Wavshrdr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wavshrdr

Just wanted to add a counterpoint to the security code issue. I have that feature on most of my GPS. Fortunately on one I recently had stolen I didn’t have it enabled. If it had been enabled the thief probably would have thrown it away. Instead he tried to pawn it and SINCE I had actually made note of my serial number, they got the guy who stole it and I got my GPS back.

My logic prior to this would have been to always have the security setup. No I am not so sure. If you do use it, maybe put a label on your GPS so a thief might read it. Also if you use the Garmin version which also offers an “unlock” location, don’t make it your home address. As an additional safety precaution NEVER put your home address in your GPS. If you want, put someplace close but never your exact address. So on most of my Garmins I put an unlock location a block or 2 from my house. My “home” location is in a different spot a few blocks away. If you live in a giant apartment building in NYC or LA it might not be such a safety issue to put your home address directly in the GPS but I’d still suggest just putting someplace close.

Make sure you always record all your serial numbers of phones, GPS, TV, etc. I would have never seen my GPS (and a few other items) if I hadn’t done this.

jayzhou99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jayzhou99

people still want these these days?

Referral linking/advertising/scams not permitted.

taBBy241

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taBBy241
schulerr wrote:I own the XL Live which is great. It has Google so I can do a local search and have it give me directions to wherever I want to go. Also it gives me fuel prices on my route or I can find the cheapest fuel in the area.

Unfortunately I don't think the one on woot! today has live services. I'd save your money for a more expensive Live version.

Thanks for the info.

Don't wake me, I'm thinking....

commonwealth109

quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109

I bought a Garmin 5" last week and the recalculation when u make a different turn is fast fast fast. After using it for only a week I won't ever go back to another GPS manufacturer.

commonwealth109

jayzhou99 wrote:people still want these these days?

If u are using your phone constantly like I am, then yes absolutely. Sometimes a dedicated device is worth it. I can't drive and use 3 functions on my mobile phone all at the same time.

octaveman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages octaveman

I've had this GPS for over a year now and no regrets.

Wavshrdr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wavshrdr

Also don't forget you are SOL if you don't have data service as previously mentioned when using your phone. I had this happen on a recent trip. Google maps had downloaded my route but a detour in the mountains of Colorado meant my phone couldn't find a new route as there was no network available. Good thing I had an old GPS with me to find another route.

commonwealth109

schulerr wrote:I own the XL Live which is great. It has Google so I can do a local search and have it give me directions to wherever I want to go. Also it gives me fuel prices on my route or I can find the cheapest fuel in the area.

I didn't factor the "live services" into my buying decision criteria when purchasing a GPS because of the subscription fee after the first year. I have money going out to a thousand different places each month and I'm not adding a GPS fee to that list. I went with free lifetime updates and no services that would cost me later. I figure I will update with a new unit about every 3 years based on my history so I want no more costs till that point.

PS- too many people listen to others on which brand is the best, but there are differences that fit different needs so you should decide which brand is most in line with what you want and go with that brand. If there was a definitive "best" out there for everybody then you would know already.

ryedunn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryedunn
jminnion wrote:
As for map updates, I wouldn't worry too much about not having lifetime maps. By the time your maps become out of date, it may be several years down the road and your GPS needs or the state of GPS tech may have changed. This is my second GPS, upgraded from a tiny Navigon whose maps are still basically valid after 2+ years. Roads don't change THAT much.

Anyway I'd recommend this one.

Ive been waiting for someone to mention this, Where do these people live that require new maps every year?

KermodeBear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KermodeBear

I own a Garmin unit, but I have used various Tom Tom units over the years. This is why I own a Garmin.

TomTom takes a long time to figure out routes, the routes are often sub-par or simply incorrect, it has a hard time figuring out where I am, the interface is bad, etc., etc., etc.

If you want to buy a navigation device then pass on this. You will be disappointed. Take your money and go to your local box store and buy the cheapest Garmin available. You'll be much happier with your purchase.

tnode192

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnode192
cscrudder wrote:If I got this, the first address I would put in would be:

4121 International Parkway
Carrollton, TX 75007

Only 277 miles away!

I'm visiting in Plano,Tx this week, drove by the Woot! offices yesterday. (11 miles away)

Yes, I'm a Woot! fanatic...

cacarson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cacarson

This is an ancient model which I purchased back in December 2010 with lifetime maps and traffic for $120. If you're in the market for a dedicated unit this one works great although the lack of lifetime maps is a deal killer IMO.
-
Some drawbacks of this unit:

1) Old old old.
2) No lifetime maps, no deal
3) Mount on back of GPS is a circular ring which has a propensity to pop off when being adjusted.
4) Mount on winshield is suction mount and can come apart when pulling unit off of windshield. I've had to reassemble mine numerous times.
5) Numerous complaints about voice not working. Solution is to reboot unit by holding down power button until unit powers down and keeping power button pressed until screen appears after unit reboots.
6) Route recalc can be slow depending on distance/complexity to destination.
7) Interface/menus can be confusing at first but once you get the way it's structured everything is actually simple.
8) I don't believe this unit has password protection - if it does I can't find it. It used to be on some models this was available in the PC application and would download to the unit. Therefore don't put your address in as home - put one in for a shopping center near your home so if someone breaks into your car while you're shopping they can't go direct to your house. Of course this also means don't keep anything with your address on it in your car which most people don't do.

Some things I like:

1) Even when I bought it, it was cheap. I spent $120 for the TM version.
2) FM traffic has worked OK for me. Problem is it's not available in many rural areas. This is actually built into the power cord and since it's FM that's why it's lifetime. There is no formal subscription involved for this.
3) I generally like the routing offered and typical options of avoiding certain things (like toll roads) is offered.
4) Very easy to navigate even if just listening to the instructions being offered by the unit.
5) In the years I've used it I've never been led somewhere other than my destination. Route may not always be optimal but it's always gotten me where I needed to go.

Overall, for an older unit on the cheap this would be a good deal if the maps were also offered.

schulerr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schulerr
commonwealth109 wrote:I didn't factor the "live services" into my buying decision criteria when purchasing a GPS because of the subscription fee after the first year. I have money going out to a thousand different places each month and I'm not adding a GPS fee to that list. I went with free lifetime updates and no services that would cost me later. I figure I will update with a new unit about every 3 years based on my history so I want no more costs till that point.

PS- too many people listen to others on which brand is the best, but there are differences that fit different needs so you should decide which brand is most in line with what you want and go with that brand. If there was a definitive "best" out there for everybody then you would know already.

That is good to point out and I neglected to mention it. The Live service has a yearly fee that is something like $60. To me it is worth it but maybe not for others.

jminnion

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jminnion
tnode192 wrote:I'm visiting in Plano,Tx this week, drove by the Woot! offices yesterday. (11 miles away)

Yes, I'm a Woot! fanatic...

Restraining order in 3 ... 2 ...

Actually though, you should have gone up and asked for a Barrel of Crops direct.

halfwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halfwoot

After doing some research for an upcoming trip to the UK I determined that all of these GPS companies have you boxed into a corner. Each of them requires that the "base unit" have UK/European maps before you can use it there. The same holds true with US baselined units. The trick is probably just a setting in the operating system that tells the unit where it is supposed to be used. Oh well, seems that I need one for the US and one for Europe. Looking at the prices and the prices of their maps, I'd rather have the two different units anyway! Good luck on your decision.

djames42

quality posts: 11 Private Messages djames42
ejeansonne wrote:People who have owned both. Smart Phones are really not that smart yet.

Not to mention those of us who want to be able to continue to navigate if the phone rings... "Gee the president is ringing me, but if I answer his call I'll lose my GPS and I'll never find my way to The White House"

My Tom Tom has bluetooth integration so I can see on-screen that he is calling (or use the on-screen phone book downloaded from my phone to ring him), push a button on the screen to accept the call, use the thing as a hands-free device, and still use it to get me where I'm going.

djames42

quality posts: 11 Private Messages djames42
mbrickell wrote:I have a Tom Tom and a Garmin.

The Garmin is a better unit in all but one area.

My experience has been the exact opposite. The method of inputting an address into the Garmin is archaic and unnatural in comparison to the TomTom and its on-screen display is clunky and less functional than that of the TomTom. I suppose to some extent that simply comes down to preference.

One thing to note if you live near a state/country border, the Garmin forces you to change your state destination (separately from the address entry) if you're driving from say, Vancouver WA to Portland OR, or from Seattle WA to Vancouver BC. The TomTom does not and remembers your most recent city entries making destination input lightening fast.

mbrickell wrote:On one certain stretch of highway locally, the TomTom tells you to exit on the ramp then immediately directs you to proceed to the on ramp to get back on the highway. Also, coming to my house, it apparently thinks I live at Wal-Mart, since it tells me to turn right to go there instead of left down the major street leading to my house. Several other times, the TT makes a weird call out of nowhere. Have not experienced this with the G.

I've never experienced anything like this with my TomTom...

mbrickell wrote:The TomTom seems to suffer from gas pump/lawyer syndrome worse than the Garmin. In other words, you are asked 15 questions any time you want to do anything. Do you want a receipt? Do you want a car wash? Is your car red? Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? Do you have an Aunt named Mabel? YES JUST NAVIGATE FOR *&$# SAKE. It seems that you have to press more keys to get to the menu you want or to actually navigate somewhere. If you search for a POI or something, there are about 15,000 "back" presses if you change your mind on the TT. Garmin interface seems more intuitive, it's faster to change destination or enter one.

You must have some unique version of the TomTom software, or never properly used your device. When I have a new destination I simply "Navigate to, Address, ### Street, City, Navigate Method (fastest, shortest, avoid freeways, by bike, walking, etc - and it defaults to my navigation method preference)" and am presented with the overall route map, miles, and distance with an "alternate method" button. Done.

mbrickell wrote:The TT has one advantage. It's more customizable. You can more easily put funny voices on it, change map colors, etc. Wider variety of options. If you want Beavis and Butthead's voices on your navi, get the TT.

Stupid voices aside, customizing the navigation map screen is a nice feature that far beats out the Garmin. I like easily adding, modifying, and removing information. Of course if you want the same information repeated three times rather than being able to truly customize your screen, then the Garmin is King.

mbrickell wrote:Too bad the actual navigation and interface is subpar.

Again, this is the opposite of my experience. Anyone who really wants an informed opinion of which is better should probably venture to their local big-box shop and try them both out.

mu18ntz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mu18ntz

I have no sense of direction (I have a hard time finding my car in the WalMart parking lot) and my Tom Tom GPS has been a life-saver. No more calling my husband to tell him I'm lost or stopping someone to ask directions that I'll screw up anyway. As for all those people who would rather use their smart phones - go ahead and have fun with it. Leave those of us who can't afford a smart phone alone and save your comments for another product.

badsign

quality posts: 1 Private Messages badsign

i see a few comments that say you can't use phone gps if the phone rings. all i can say is... you aren't doing it right. i've done both at the same time more times than i can count.

see my comment above and you'll note i do see value in a dedicated gps unit. but for real some of you folks seem to be arguing with b.s. just for the sake of arguing.

cbran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cbran

I bought this last time around. It's a great GPS for the price, works well. The mount is terrible though. It will hold for about a day then release on its own

donerightray

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donerightray

For few pesos more get the newer model of this one with lifetime maps! Check out the TomTom VIA 1505TM 5-Inch GPS Navigator with Lifetime Traffic & Maps
for 120 dinero US at the Amazing online place!

Donerightray Doing It Right

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron
cbran wrote:I bought this last time around. It's a great GPS for the price, works well. The mount is terrible though. It will hold for about a day then release on its own

2 years, mount hasn't failed me yet.

Quality post? Me??

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron

What I have learned today is people love "their brand."

I love my TomToms, some people love their Garmin. There is no point arguing over it.

The PS3 vs Xbox debate rages on however.

Quality post? Me??

psychobrew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psychobrew

Once again, I could have really used the IQ Routes feature on this. I was in an area I was unfamiliar with and my Garmin sent me down I95 in the middle of rush hour, which is ridiculous. It wouldn't even tell me the name of the road I was on so I could see if I recognize the name and skip the exit for a different route.

The inflexibility of the Garmin interface is extremely frustrating at times.

rsw56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsw56
bobbygeorge wrote:While this is an excellent price, Consumer Reports rates this unit near the bottom of their 5" GPS tests.

So if you tell us which device Consumer Reports considers best, does Woot! delete your comment?

stevestojan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevestojan
ehuelle wrote:The reason my dedicated GPS is much better than my smartphone for giving directions:

1. My smartphone does not speak. My GPS even gives all the names for major streets/highways/interstates.
2. The GPS has a much bigger screen.
3. My GPS has several different ways to view the map. (1st person, 3rd person from back of car, 3rd person ariel)
4. My smart phone does not have night maps.
5. My GPS came with it's own mount.
6. My smartphone's maps are... not the most accurate.

It's about preference. If you'd rather have a small screen that you constantly have to goober with to figure out EXACTLY where your next exit is, by all means, use your smart phone. If you'd rather just type in the address and have your GPS do the rest - use a GPS.

I wouldn't recommend any GPS that doesn't have lifetime map updates though. Roads change too frequently for just 1 update.

And THIS is the kind of post that makes us that actually live in the 21st century feel the need to chime in. Someone earlier said "those of us with smartphones already know that our phone can be used as a GPS.... yadda yadda"

1)It's not your smartphone that does or does not "speak." If you have a smartphone, it has a speaker, and then it comes down to the app. There's no built in "voicebox" special on our phones.
2)My phone, like MANY smartphones now is over 4". Is this bigger? For sure. But not by much and not nearly enough to reason having another full device.
3)So do most, if not all quality GPS apps on either the App Store or Google Marketplace
4)Again, nothing to do with your "phone". It's all in what app you buy.
5)That is true. Most smartphones don't come with the mount. Mine was $15. I use my phone as my GPS and my music player, so it was worth it, for me. But I think we can agree this is a pretty nit-picky point
6)Again, this is 100% app based.

And for those talking about not having cell reception everywhere so that wouldn't work for them as a GPS, the phone has a standalone GPS in it. Otherwise NO ONE would use their phone as their GPS if everytime you lost signal, you lost your directions. Hell, I drove through West VA. I don't think I had cell reception for more than 3 minutes. But the GPS still works.

And you talk about have to mess with the phone to find my next exit? My phone, with the FREE app I use (my wife uses the $39 tomtom app on her iPhone, I use Google Nav on my Galaxy Nexus) speaks loud and clear when an exit is coming up. In fact it tells me that and then prepares me, with street names, for my next turn, including if there's a fork in the road i need to split off of.

So, I get it. You're all sick of hearing us talk about how smartphones have all but made GPS units dinosaurs. But at that same point don't say "you get it." Because clearly, this posts shows that many of you don't.

Almost missed this one "If you'd rather just type in the address and have your GPS do the rest - use a GPS." This is the best point AGAINST GPS systems. I literally touch the Google Mic Icon on my phone, and SAY "Nativagate to 4544 my street, my city, 23XXX" and it takes me there. Every time. Without fail.

Again, if you just don't have a smartphone for personal reasons, fine. But if you have a smartphone, buying a standalone GPS is just a waste of money and concern about leaving something in your car that someone might want to steal.

rolledsho

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rolledsho

Why does everyone keep saying it doesn't have lifetime map updates when it says exactly that it does in the description?

billyush

bloke1 wrote:Stay away from Tom Rom!! Their life time period is not your lifetime period!! I will never, EVER, buy another Tom Tom again. Their lifetime is about 3 to 5 years depending on whom you speak with at their support center/office/hole in the wall. They are hot living up to their promise. Go elsewhere to get a good or even better GPS from someone else. Stay far away from Tom Tom.

With advancements and changes/etc how long would you really expect it to "last"? How long before a laptop is basically obsolete? How long before any computer/etc is basically obsolete----for the most part the answer is when you walk out the door with it!
Anyway, I have NO issue with them lasting only 3-5 years...I do have some issues with TOM TOM in general, but, I know that I have had and would have and will have some issues with all the manufacturers.
Just my 2 cents

billyush

nfrench207 wrote:I'm never clear on the inclusion of traffic updates. On the TomTom I have had for 3 years (Go 730), I found that in order to use the traffic update feature, I had to use data on my iPhone. I've just finished reading the entire manual for the XXL550T and it does not mention this requirement. Rather, it requires an external receiver that utilizes your FM band to get updates. This isn't clear enough for me - would love an explanation from a current user. I'm assuming the WOOT doesn't include the receiver...and I don't really want to tie up my FM radio. Not to mention that traffic is never that important in my corner of the world to start with. More useful when traveling to unknown cities...but still wouldn't really be utilized more than a few times a year. I think I'm passing on this one - would prefer the lifetime maps. HOWEVER, I would also share with anyone considering a first time TomTom purchase...the required software (TomTomHome) for map upgrades and voice downloads is a HORRID application. Entirely klugey and with even more abysmal tech support. On occasion you'll get someone that's helpful, but the device and software just simply do not behave as they should when connected. The PC version is slightly better than the MAC, but both leave a lot to be desired which is why my maps have gone so thoroughly out of date. I'd rather have a functioning unit with some small map issues than to lose all of my Favorites and Home location - which is what happens every time I connect the device to the PC/Mac.

So to recap - anyone have direct experience with the traffic update feature?

As far as I understand...the "traffic receiver" is in the power cord (normal cord that goes from the unit to your cigarette lighter). There is small oval shaped device that is actually part of the cord. That is what transmits the traffic and it does NOT take up the FM station/etc.

I have had the TOMTOM VIA 1535TM since it was released and handed an older unit with TM on it to my wife. I never FULLY trust what the TOMTOM is telling me about the traffic/etc but, it's works well as a 'guide' sometimes---just what an ENTIRE GPS unit should be used as a good 'guide'--not a 'bible' on perfection!