WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: When I have to communicate, I prefer to:
  • 45% - Talk in person. Like adults. 645
  • 5.9% - Make a phone call. I’m more relaxed when I don’t have to make eye contact. 85
  • 19.7% - Text. I don’t like speaking to people directly. 283
  • 22.3% - Email. Send it and forget it! 320
  • 2.2% - IM. omg u haf 2 c the emoticons i use!!!!! :P 32
  • 4.8% - DOES NO ONE WRITE LETTERS ANY MORE?! 69
1434 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

lifevirusx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lifevirusx

Depends on the person
Phone or in person for family
Text or IM for friends as they live a good distance away

juco77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juco77

Where would Skype fall? It's "in person", but on a "phone"...

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

I use smoke signals.....Takes me 2 months to tell someone "you have bad breath"

jur1ko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jur1ko

I chose "email" because it's definitely the best way to contact people at work - it keeps a record of everything said!

thatheard

quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard
jur1ko wrote:I chose "email" because it's definitely the best way to contact people at work - it keeps a record of everything said!

I prefer to talk in person--you can better read body language and tone that way--and then document the conversation in an email.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
jur1ko wrote:I chose "email" because it's definitely the best way to contact people at work - it keeps a record of everything said!

After 5 years of working with people on different continents, let alone different time zones, email was a way of life.
With friends, texting is much less intrusive if they are working or busy.
If I need to know something NOW, I'll phone.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

It depends a lot on the message being sent and how busy I am. Email is great for sending information quickly that doesn't require discussion, and you don't have to spend time on small talk and platitudes.

When an exchange of ideas is required or a decision needs to be made I prefer face-to-face. The same goes for when I want conversation for conversation's sake. The phone is a weak third.

Texting is a last resort. I don't enjoy the mechanics of it, nor do I like writing in abbreviated form. I also think that texting takes longer than a similar conversation in any other medium, unless it's a one-way, one sentence communication, It's just quicker to speak on the phone.

Email has completely replaced letters for me. Same effect, instant delivery. And I don't have to decipher grandma's arthritic handwriting anymore.

trixierix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trixierix

The only time I get letters is if someone is in boot camp or jail.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

Depends on whom i need to communicate with.

Friends - Text
Family and Coworkers - Email

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
trixierix wrote:The only time I get letters is if someone is in boot camp or jail.

Now that's a quality post.

phredt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phredt

What, no telepathy option?

josephraa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages josephraa

I prefer to post on community forums.