4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Denon 5.1 Channel A/V Receiver
$149.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

nxp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nxp

$187.05 at the all familiar Amazon

Dman27

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Dman27

Product Website!

B a g of crap: 8.5 & still waiting for that letter!!!
Woots: 30
Shirt Woots: 8

~DMan27~

malingjc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malingjc
modernchaot wrote:Looks kinda familiar to me...

Yup, dropped $10 from last time.

I do love mine though.

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

Can someone explain to me what these do, and why I would need one?

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity

it's the control center of your audio world. and potentially the heart of your home theatre, depending on set up. If you want surround sound, or anything better than a soundbar, or the onboard speakers from your tv, you need this.

Apparently it also gets radio, but no one cares.

it does not play dvd's or blue rays, which an actual "home theatre" center would. however you can route all your hdmi's (game consoles, set top boxes, computer inputs) through it, to a single hdmi slot on your tv. depending on your set up, and how many inputs your tv has, this could be important.

TL/DR this is what your speakers plug into.

syninthecity

also, blast you woot. You've almost convinced me. I know i need one. you know i need one. i just don't want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars putting together a sound system. I know thats cheap. and i know this is perfect, but you won't get me....

Must. Not. Buy.

Must....resist...

oh yeah, and before anyone asks, 5.1 = 5 speakers, one subwoofer, 7.1= 7 speakers, one sub.

asteele999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asteele999

My roommate purchased a higher end Denon receiver a few months back and had a great time with it. The only hiccup was that if there is any dust in the front headphone jack the receiver won't channel sound to the speakers. Seeing the opportunity not long ago I purchased this (or a very similar) receiver from woot, hooked it up and LOVE it!

It's a good price for a solid piece of equipment, just watch out for that dust issue.

Blah

schlafly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlafly

Looks great, but all my music is on my hard disc. How do I use this? It has no wifi, ethernet, or usb.

syninthecity

schlafly wrote:Looks great, but all my music is on my hard disc. How do I use this? It has no wifi, ethernet, or usb.

any newish video card should have an hdmi out. these are great, they're interoperable with most newer devices, and carry video and audio.

you could probably pick up a sub 100 dollar video card with at least an hdmi out, and a monitor output of whatever kind you use now.

if your kit's too old for hdmi, then it gets more complicated. (edit, you could probably get a "whatever you have" to hdmi connector. it wouldn't be hdmi quality, but it would push whatever signal you have and show it as well as it could.

susani8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susani8

Well, crap! I just received mine from when it was on here couple of weeks ago - and for $10 more.... dang! A little patience could have saved me - and $10 is $10! I haven't even had time to set it up yet! Such is life!

grassynoel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages grassynoel
schlafly wrote:Looks great, but all my music is on my hard disc. How do I use this? It has no wifi, ethernet, or usb.

Airport express or apple tv will stream that music, and more, into this receiver (and connected tv)

Or you can plug your iPod into front aux input (or front stereo mini input)

Dartman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dartman

Denon makes good gear, this is a great starter system for anyone wanting a nice basic A/V package that can do most of the latest goodies for dirt cheap. The specs are 75 watts at 20 to 20 so it's a full spectrum rating rather then the at 1khz most cheap receivers use to make their amps sound much more powerful then they actually are.
I have a Nice Onkyo 7.1 system myself but the last time I decided to buy a new receiver I very nearly bought a Denon as it sounded so nice on the demo floor compared to the others around it.
I don't even use the extra speakers on mine just wanted to be able to if I wanted, most folks will be just fine with a 5.1 setup and will never miss the extra speakers, plus not having to buy two extras.

Bucuresci

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bucuresci

Can you preset, or set in memory radio stations, that you can retrieve with a push of a button?

Bucuresci

malingjc wrote:Yup, dropped $10 from last time.

I do love mine though.

Can you preset radio staions on it?

jjfahey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jjfahey

No 5.1 analog inputs. Fail.

chefsean

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chefsean

ConGrads to who ever WON the MegaMillions!!! i hope your a good Person at Heart!

chefsean
CLICK....>>.....ON...>>....TheMysteryBox>>>>>>

Bucuresci

syninthecity wrote:it's the control center of your audio world. and potentially the heart of your home theatre, depending on set up. If you want surround sound, or anything better than a soundbar, or the onboard speakers from your tv, you need this.

Apparently it also gets radio, but no one cares.

it does not play dvd's or blue rays, which an actual "home theatre" center would. however you can route all your hdmi's (game consoles, set top boxes, computer inputs) through it, to a single hdmi slot on your tv. depending on your set up, and how many inputs your tv has, this could be important.

TL/DR this is what your speakers plug into.

"it does not play dvd's or blue rays"....IF i UNDERSTAND CORRECTLY, it is not a PLAYER of any kind, but you still can run through a Blu-ray DVD Player, right?

clallseven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clallseven

My only hiccup with this is it doesn't have a phono input. But, luckily, my turntable has a switchable (turn on/off) built-in pre-out. I suppose I could hook it up to one of the random audio inputs, use the pre-out on the turntable, and it would work? Anyone verify is this sounds right?

Side note: I only have a Toshiba Blu Ray player and Apple TV, both of which connect w/HDMI, so I don't require use of any of the audio ins on the receiver.

darthmalt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthmalt

The optimal way you would use an AV receiver is take the HDMI cord from your DVD/Bluray/Xbox/PS3 and plug it into the back of this unit. Hook your surround sound speakers into this unit and then take the HDMI out of this unit and plug it into your tv.

Most of them can also take analog inputs from older devices (RCA Red/White/yellow cords) and pickup FM radio for playback through your speakers.

filmbuffx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages filmbuffx

If I'm getting the speakers later can I still route my various HDMI devices through this to my TV, or should I leave it in the box until I have the rest of the pieces?

gelo48

quality posts: 8 Private Messages gelo48

It's been a few years since I was in the hi-fi biz (that's what it used to be called) and Denon and Yamaha were the go to boxes (unless they were serious and had some coin then it was B&K - those are monster good).

Yamaha was easier to set up, Denon had the better sound. Part of the reason Denon was harder was all the inputs were assignable were Yamaha were all preset. With Denon you need the manual and actually have to read it unless all that has changed. Which it could have.

This looks like a great deal.

ainterr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ainterr

Completely off topic, but..

I am officially addicted to Woot. Woot now opens when I scan my ring finger on my fingerprint scanner. That is right, folks. Woot and I are married.

greenguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenguy

There's a lot of info in this (nearly year-old) forum posting, including comparisons of the 1312 to its bigger Denon siblings, as well as troubleshooting and setup info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369#D1

deirfyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deirfyes

The receiver also has a coaxial and optical in port. You can route music directly from the motherboard (most have one of these two connector types) to the sound system and set up one of the inputs to link to the connection type. eg. The sat/cbl to use the coaxial/optical port for audio. You don't need a video connection to play music from a computer to a home entertainment system with these types of connections. Alternatively you can buy a 3.5mm connector to RCA audio (red/white) stereo connection cable that would also allow you to plug in. Granted this usually limits your music to a 2.1 standing (2 speakers/1 sub) where as the coaxial/optical connections mentioned above let you access the full 5.1 available.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
Bucuresci wrote:Can you preset, or set in memory radio stations, that you can retrieve with a push of a button?

You can preset up to 56 stations (7 banks of 8 stations) manually or automatic.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

archiestone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages archiestone

Sure wish these sported a proper phono in for turntables. Yeah, I'm a vynilista.

dfreema1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfreema1

Im looking to get surround sound, but i notice most speaker systems inculde the whole package (speakers and receiver). Whats the advantage of buying things seperately? It seems like its hard to find speakers without a receiver.

zaqnewman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zaqnewman
jjfahey wrote:No 5.1 analog inputs. Fail.

A little harsh to say this is a fail. For the vast majority of users this should not matter at all.
And a personal pet peeve: super personal gripes about products really don't help other people in their decision whether a product is good or not.

cgdoctor3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgdoctor3

You can route the sound to the TV under the advanced options if you don't have the speakers. I purchased the unit the last time it was on woot and I'm using my TV for sound until I pickup a new sub woofer.

I love the unit so far. I just have too many remotes now. The wife isn't happy about the extra remote.

Woot, can I have my $10 back? New cables cost me more than $10.

chicagotone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chicagotone
dfreema1 wrote:Im looking to get surround sound, but i notice most speaker systems inculde the whole package (speakers and receiver). Whats the advantage of buying things seperately? It seems like its hard to find speakers without a receiver.

"Home theaters in a box" aren't an option for good sound reproduction, the speakers are usually crap. Pair this with a cheap set of Polk monitors and u'll have an adequate surround system .

lesleydf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lesleydf

i know this is a foal question, but...does the hdmi passthrough the audio, too?

Ludiak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ludiak

Does anyone know if this is wifi enabled? I can't seem to find anything saying it is... so I'm assuming it's not. :/

Julia

Looking for a sweet site? Check out my blog at http://dozenflours.com

cgdoctor3

lesleydf wrote:i know this is a foal question, but...does the hdmi passthrough the audio, too?

Yes

cgdoctor3

Ludiak wrote:Does anyone know if this is wifi enabled? I can't seem to find anything saying it is... so I'm assuming it's not. :/

No WIFI option

Ludiak

Does anyone know if this is wifi enabled? I can't seem to find anything saying it is... so I'm assuming it's not. :/

Julia

procop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages procop
nxp wrote:$187.05 at the all familiar Amazon

Actually it was $170 on Amazon earlier today, free shipping...
^A^ just jacked up the price since they own Woot.
No deal here Woot, sorry...

Ludiak

cgdoctor3 wrote:No WIFI option

thank you! Not the answer i really wanted though... i'd like to get somethign like this with wifi and considering a Sonos but too many clams.

Julia

thompstc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thompstc

can't bring myself to read all the comments, but i've been in the market for a receiver. thought i would go high end and get the 1912 (cnet editor's choice), but the thought of wooting and fulfilling my receiver need is tempting.

should i buy this? or will i find it's lacking too many features?

Scheißtüten gewonnen: 3/22/12