schlafly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schlafly

Thanks for the tips on connecting this to my music, but they are all impractical. I am not going to buy a new video card or an Apple TV or a new ipod. Those all cost almost as much as this receiver. Wifi chips cost about 50 cents. There ought to be some dirt cheap wifi-to-rca option or something like that.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

this receiver has NO component ports (RED GREEN BLUE).. So while you can plug your PS3/Xbox 360 into the HDMI for an HD experience....

Your Nintendo Wii will sadly have to use the Standard A/V Composite and not reach that 720p HD Quality.

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

A couple questions:

1) Does this do analog-to-digital conversion? In other words, can I hook up my Wii's analog video to this and have the video go to my TV via HDMI?

2) Does this have up-conversion? In other words, can I play a 480p DVD and get it enhanced (yes, I know it won't be truly HD - this is more of a ghetto-enhanced) to 720p or 1080p? The up-conversion unit in my TV sucks.

***EDIT***
I just answered my own questions thanks to the avsforum thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369#D1

1) No
2) No

cenotaph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cenotaph
jjfahey wrote:No 5.1 analog inputs. Fail.

Oh My Fruitful Garden you're still whining about analog. give me one good reason you'd want analog inputs on a DIGITAL A/V RECEIVER FOR HOME THEATER. just one. it's time to leave the 80s behind. analog is dead.

jnsgardner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnsgardner

I got one the last time it came available. It came quickly and in a expected box. $249 at Best Buy yesterday, so $149 is a steal. I'm old fashioned. The wife unit won't allow extra speakers beyond what was usual in the '70's. 5.1..7.1...I'm 2.0. and will be even when my wife relents for a...fill in the blanks. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but the price is unbeatable and it does the job of providing sound and pictures in a fashion I doubt you could tell the difference from a $ 400 unit.

John

John T Gardner

JoeCool1701

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeCool1701

For those of you confused about exactly what this black box of goodness is:

I will try to keep this as straightforward as I can.

First, if you have no clue what a receiver is I would not recommend buying this.

That being said, this is in essence an amplifier, an AM/FM reciever, and a way to connect multiple audio/video devices (vcr, blu ray, dvd, cd, mp3 player...) to one device.

Alone this does not make sound, nor will it turn an analog signal into a digital signal(RCA into HDMI). It merely powers speakers (the unit does not come with speakers) and you can change the "channel" (or source) on this box and everything you have hooked up to it will work on one channel on your television. (one device at a time)

This is great if you have more devices than your television has inputs. Also, this will allow you to use speakers that are far superior to those in any television.

Home theater speakers can be found at any multimedia store such as Best Buy. The volume control on the receiver will only affect the volume of external speakers and not your television.

Any device that has a headphone jack or other audio output can be connected to this device if you buy the proper cable.

HDMI carries audio and video on the same cable so any HDMI device will run sound and picture without the need for RCA or optical audio cables.

Aside from these basics research any further questions using google or the Denon website. While technology has advanced considerably in the last 80 years the principles have not.

To that end remember that if you connect both analog (RCA - Red, White, and Yellow) and digital (HDMI, optical, etc...)devices, you must have identical cables running to your TV in order for all the devices to be displayed.

Nothing about setting this up should be difficult just time consuming. If something you have connected doesn't make sound or has no picture check the placement of your cables. Also remember to hook up both audio and video cables.

speedmarker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages speedmarker
schlafly wrote:Thanks for the tips on connecting this to my music, but they are all impractical. I am not going to buy a new video card or an Apple TV or a new ipod. Those all cost almost as much as this receiver. Wifi chips cost about 50 cents. There ought to be some dirt cheap wifi-to-rca option or something like that.

See if this is what you are looking for http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

I bought this last time for $10 more. Very happy with it. I also bought Energy Take 5 pack from "the egg" for $150. No sub, but that's ok. The clarity of sound this Denon puts out is outstanding. My BluRay movies' audio "pops" now.

Buy one. You won't regret it.

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

walpoledan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walpoledan

I have an older, higher end Denon AVR (2009-ish). Things that this doesn't have that I think are important to think about but not necessarily deal breakers:

- Audyssey: automatically equalize and level set all the speakers using an in room microphone. Worth it? Was to me but definitely gets you into a higher price device.

- HDMI Passthrough: Pass the HDMI signal through when the AVR is *off*. Mine doesn't have this. I programmed my remote so that any time the TV is on the AVR is on (because it sounds so *damn* good) but some folks might not want to do that.

If those two things don't matter to you this is a great deal for some great entry-level sound.

Pretty good thread here comparing the various Denon models for 2012:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

5h1th34d

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 5h1th34d
walpoledan wrote:

- Audyssey: automatically equalize and level set all the speakers using an in room microphone. Worth it? Was to me but definitely gets you into a higher price device.

I'd settle for config menus that can be displayed on the TV attached to your HT. I have a 2003 Yamaha receiver that works fine but on those rare occasions you need to setup speaker volumes etc the tiny LED display and cumbersome menu system run from the remote really are annoying.

walpoledan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walpoledan
fertilizer wrote:I'd settle for config menus that can be displayed on the TV attached to your HT. I have a 2003 Yamaha receiver that works fine but on those rare occasions you need to setup speaker volumes etc the tiny LED display and cumbersome menu system run from the remote really are annoying.

Perhaps you misunderstand Audyssey? It's an automatic setup routine run by the receiver. It uses a microphone and generates tones from each speaker in turn. It can sample multiple locations in the room. It then sets the individual speaker levels and equalization that the receiver uses for subsequent playback. It's a set and forget thing (unless you change your room acoustics or speakers or something). Takes maybe 10 minutes to run and you want to make sure your dog is outside ;'). Some think that manual setup can be better (and perhaps for some it can) but for me this has been a great feature.

Also, I think that this model has a full HD OSD, no tiny LCD display needed if you don't want it.

And to be clear, this 1312 does not have Audyssey... and it's something I'd miss.

patricia6600

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patricia6600

HI guys need some help here. Probably a silly question but, can I hook up my speakers to this and hook up to my HDTV for good sound versus the crappy speakers of soyo

joeman123

quality posts: 5 Private Messages joeman123
patricia6600 wrote:HI guys need some help here. Probably a silly question but, can I hook up my speakers to this and hook up to my HDTV for good sound versus the crappy speakers of soyo

Yes! Assuming you have speakers that is.

dcheesi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcheesi

I looked at this one the last time it came up (for $10 more IIRC), but after talking to people on various forums I was convinced to step up to the 1612 instead. It has the same amplifier section, but adds a better digital/pre-pro section (DSP, DACs, etc.). The real killer app for the 1612 is the automatic setup w/ Audyssey MultiEQ; not only is setup easier, but the sound quality is just amazing with a precisely calibrated audio system (especially for movies).

Check out the deals for the 1612 right now, some places have had it on sale recently.

crazyken33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crazyken33

Can anyone suggest a good set of speakers to compliment this receiver? Preferable something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

TarHeelz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TarHeelz

Question for those who have this unit. Is it true that this receiver has a single zone of speakers? It does not even have an A/B switch for speakers, correct?

Thanks!

youngfish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages youngfish

I need Optical Output. I have a surround sound bar which supports "surround" sound through optical channel. Anyone knows a good receiver with optical output?

hemmi1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hemmi1

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but will hold out for HD Radio for a few dollars more.

rkkeller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rkkeller

I bought this at the last Woot and it has really really good sound especially for a low end receiver. It also cranks and sounds fine.

My one complaint would be if you set it up the way your supposed to with all the hdmi inputs running thru it, you will ONLY get sound from your speakers and NONE from the TV at all.

So you need to have the receiver on at all times or no sound.

dcheesi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcheesi
TarHeelz wrote:Question for those who have this unit. Is it true that this receiver has a single zone of speakers? It does not even have an A/B switch for speakers, correct?

Thanks!

Correct. I believe you have go up to at least the 1712 to get the extra pair of amps for Zone-2 or A/B speakers.

FallenAnjel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel

My neighbor was throwing out a Technics receiver because it was "broken". It only needed a .91 cent fuse.

Win.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

rlp518

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rlp518

So..you can't connect a turntable to this unit, correct? Also, I don't see inputs on the picture of the back of the unit for even a CD player. Could 1 or 2 of the jacks (sat/cbl) be used for a turntable or a CD player?

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
schlafly wrote:Looks great, but all my music is on my hard disc. How do I use this? It has no wifi, ethernet, or usb.

Get a Roku and stream Pandora through this. Or, if you have DirecTV HD they have a Pandora app built in to the receiver.

accessories4less

quality posts: 1 Private Messages accessories4less

You can also buy this receiver with the 51. Boston Acoustics Speakers as a package for $329 (refurb)

Denon DHT1312

For the extra $180 seems like the way to go for those needing speakers also.

accessories4less

rlp518 wrote:So..you can't connect a turntable to this unit, correct? Also, I don't see inputs on the picture of the back of the unit for even a CD player. Could 1 or 2 of the jacks (sat/cbl) be used for a turntable or a CD player?

To connect a turntable you will need to buy a phono preamp. You can use any unused RCA input.

youngfish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages youngfish
youngfish wrote:I need Optical Output. I have a surround sound bar which supports "surround" sound through optical channel. Anyone knows a good receiver with optical output?

anyone can help me on this? I want to know if this works with my surround sound bar with optical input so that I can decide to buy or not. Thx

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
rkkeller wrote:I bought this at the last Woot and it has really really good sound especially for a low end receiver. It also cranks and sounds fine.

My one complaint would be if you set it up the way your supposed to with all the hdmi inputs running thru it, you will ONLY get sound from your speakers and NONE from the TV at all.

So you need to have the receiver on at all times or no sound.

I don't know if your TV has audio/video out but I connected all of my devices to the TV then ran a single HDMI & Optical cable to the receiver from the TV. (This model may only need the HDMI - mine doesn't receive sound thru HDMI)
That way I only have to turn the receiver on when I want to have surround sound.

accessories4less

youngfish wrote:anyone can help me on this? I want to know if this works with my surround sound bar with optical input so that I can decide to buy or not. Thx

Seems like the soundbar is amplified. You need to find a non-amplified soundbar. The soundbar you have is not designed to work with any receiver.

billmarsano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billmarsano

Thanks for the clarity, JC!

JoeCool1701 wrote:For those of you confused about exactly what this black box of goodness is:

I will try to keep this as straightforward as I can.

First, if you have no clue what a receiver is I would not recommend buying this.

That being said, this is in essence an amplifier, an AM/FM reciever, and a way to connect multiple audio/video devices (vcr, blu ray, dvd, cd, mp3 player...) to one device.

Alone this does not make sound, nor will it turn an analog signal into a digital signal(RCA into HDMI). It merely powers speakers (the unit does not come with speakers) and you can change the "channel" (or source) on this box and everything you have hooked up to it will work on one channel on your television. (one device at a time)

This is great if you have more devices than your television has inputs. Also, this will allow you to use speakers that are far superior to those in any television.

Home theater speakers can be found at any multimedia store such as Best Buy. The volume control on the receiver will only affect the volume of external speakers and not your television.

Any device that has a headphone jack or other audio output can be connected to this device if you buy the proper cable.

HDMI carries audio and video on the same cable so any HDMI device will run sound and picture without the need for RCA or optical audio cables.

Aside from these basics research any further questions using google or the Denon website. While technology has advanced considerably in the last 80 years the principles have not.

To that end remember that if you connect both analog (RCA - Red, White, and Yellow) and digital (HDMI, optical, etc...)devices, you must have identical cables running to your TV in order for all the devices to be displayed.

Nothing about setting this up should be difficult just time consuming. If something you have connected doesn't make sound or has no picture check the placement of your cables. Also remember to hook up both audio and video cables.

Forry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Forry

You are a great human individual! Thank you is not sufficient, but the English language is insufficient at times ; thank you

Forrest Wayne approved of this #€$$^%€

jeffamex63

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeffamex63
crazyken33 wrote:Can anyone suggest a good set of speakers to compliment this receiver? Preferable something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I've heard even the cheap speakers from Wal Mart say nice things about Denon amplifiers.

danieloneil01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danieloneil01
gelo48 wrote:It's been a few years since I was in the hi-fi biz (that's what it used to be called) and Denon and Yamaha were the go to boxes (unless they were serious and had some coin then it was B&K - those are monster good).

Monster good? LOL, you have been out the game for a while. Monster is snake oil.

accessories4less

crazyken33 wrote:Can anyone suggest a good set of speakers to compliment this receiver? Preferable something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

You can buy a Boston Acoustic 5.1 speakers for $189 free s/h . They are a step up from the speakers Denon matches it with in their own package called DHT1312.

Boston Acoustics MCS90

gds

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gds
colbytitus wrote:Get a Roku and stream Pandora through this. Or, if you have DirecTV HD they have a Pandora app built in to the receiver.

How does Pandora get the music on his hard drive to the AVR?

kellygeorge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellygeorge
dfreema1 wrote:Im looking to get surround sound, but i notice most speaker systems inculde the whole package (speakers and receiver). Whats the advantage of buying things seperately? It seems like its hard to find speakers without a receiver.

You can find separate speakers at any large electronics retailer, including Amazon. The benefit is the option to choose which speakers you want. The "Home Theater in a Box" systems have proprietary speaker connectors, so you are stuck with those speakers. The other benefit is that a stand alone receive will pump out more sound and can take multiple sources in. Its a good way to future-proof your system.

thomasbutler13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thomasbutler13
filmbuffx wrote:If I'm getting the speakers later can I still route my various HDMI devices through this to my TV, or should I leave it in the box until I have the rest of the pieces?

It has pass-through capabilities which means you don't even need to turn the power on.

accessories4less

kellygeorge wrote:You can find separate speakers at any large electronics retailer, including Amazon. The benefit is the option to choose which speakers you want. The "Home Theater in a Box" systems have proprietary speaker connectors, so you are stuck with those speakers. The other benefit is that a stand alone receive will pump out more sound and can take multiple sources in. Its a good way to future-proof your system.

This is not true. Some HTIB's do have proprietary plugs mainly from companies like LG, Sony, Panasonic.

If you buy an HTIB from the audio companies like Denon or Onkyo the speakers and receivers are 100% interchangeable. That way if you want to make any upgrades you can.

RhythmDoctor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RhythmDoctor

I have an important question about the graphic overlay. Does it provide a "thermometer bar" graphic for volume level, or just OSD for setup functions? What I am looking for is a OSD graphic that appears automatically every time you change the volume level, then disappears after a few seconds - just like a TV set would do for volume level. I've been looking for this feature (overlaid over HDMI) for awhile and have not found it.

accessories4less

RhythmDoctor wrote:I have an important question about the graphic overlay. Does it provide a "thermometer bar" graphic for volume level, or just OSD for setup functions? What I am looking for is a OSD graphic that appears automatically every time you change the volume level, then disappears after a few seconds - just like a TV set would do for volume level. I've been looking for this feature (overlaid over HDMI) for awhile and have not found it.

This model supports on-screen volume level indicators.

Question: why do buyers need this feature? Volume levels are audible and not visual. Never understood the purpose of this feature.

mheatley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mheatley
greenguy wrote:There's a lot of info in this (nearly year-old) forum posting, including comparisons of the 1312 to its bigger Denon siblings, as well as troubleshooting and setup info:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369#D1

Wow! nice post - my resistance is waning...thanks, M