JoeCool1701

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JoeCool1701
teddy345 wrote:Forgive my stupidity but I take your statement below to mean I can hook up my tape player to this and I can listen to my tapes. Thanks for your help.

"Any device that has a headphone jack or other audio output can be connected to this device if you buy the proper cable."

Kathy

Anything with a headphone jack or line out will work. Be it a Walkman from 1986, a mini disc player, a computer (desktop or laptop), or an ipod or Sansa.

However, if you are talking about an old tape player that is NOT amplified and was part of a Hi-Fi system (would be a similar size to this receiver and mounted inside a wooden case) you would need to buy a pre amp. This is unlikely as most tape decks included at least a built in pre-amp.

If your tape player has a headphone jack all you should need is a cheap cable from any electronics department that is a headphone plug on one end and RCA (Red and White) on the other end (Male to Male).

I recommend one that is 6 feet long so you can leave it easily accessible so you can switch your tape player out for anything else you might use. Handy if a friend has a playlist for a party, just pull the plug out of your tape player and plug in their phone, zune, whatever.

chadwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadwoot

One thing I've never been clear on: Is it hard to get a receiver that stays on standby (ready at any moment), and switched to the input where it detects something turned on? Does this one do it? Shouldn't they all do this?
Consider the scenario: you are relaxing on the couch and you realize that your phone can immediately start playing a song through airplay or something else. You pick the song out and it starts playing over your Denon, or...
You realize that you still have to get up to turn on the receiver, and maybe even select the input that is appropriate.
I am of the opinion that all receivers should be able to handle signals intelligently. Anybody know if this Denon, or any receiver, can do what I ask?

aofl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aofl

Woot once again anticipates my needs and provides the right product at the right time. Plus my $5 coupon code was about to run out (Yay free shipping!)

rapstas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rapstas

What a sweet deal; I have been loving almost every aspect of the one I purcahsed from the last sale.
Sound quality is great; hdmi pass-through and on-screen set-up is great. 4 Configurable buttons on the front for picking your favorite inputs is awesome! Remembering previous settings is lovely.

The only disappointing thing is not being able to have me CD player controllable with the remote. I can't think of any other complaints.

Mine really is performing like a champ and have not regretted the purchase one bit.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle

I own a much older Denon reciever, CD player and tape player from 1990. A friend of ours got a 3 piece setup and was so happy with it we decided to follow his lead and get the same exact setup. I paid a fortune for it and a relative then bought the identical one.

All of us never had a problem with the reciever but 3 CD players in 3 different households all went to the toilet within less then 2 months of each other a little after the warranty was up. The first buyer paid to have it fixed, it came to close to what the unit cost so the rest of us never bothered.

Denon sound was great with our speakers but I no longer trust their quality control based on those incidents. They refused to do anything for any of the 3 of us. Warranty is gone, too bad was what each of us were told. That's my opinion after owning a 3 piece Denon system. The one offered is inexpensive so a crap shoot might be worth it. If it was $20 I wouldn't put my money in Denon ever again based on experience

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

bobcarppgh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcarppgh

I'm replacing a 10+ year-old Onkyo a/v receiver. One of the channels is shot and it only has 1 fiber-optic input for 5.1 audio. I paid $275 (open box) and it was a pretty good deal in its day. I was disappointed that the right front channel blew out as it was never abused and since my need for a fancy rig isn't really needed - this Denon should fit the bill. For $150, it's the cost of fixing the Onkyo. We'll see.

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
kdpulido wrote:Does it have a cable input source?

What is a cable input source?

xavoc

quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
lethargicmass wrote:"if all of your individual output devices happen to support HDMI."

Or "if this unit upconverts from composite to HDMI" which mine does, but mine costs quite a bit more.

davidbix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidbix

By the way, it's necessarily an audiophile product or anything like that, but if you need a wireless rear speaker kit, Radio Shack's (branded as Auvio) is by far the least expensive at $80 normally and $60 when it's on sale, which is semi-regularly: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12077868

Radio Shack's generic stuff all comes with 90 day warranties so I did grab a cheap 3 year warranty from SquareTrade, but it works pretty well. Just make sure to play around with the wireless channel setting if you start having Wi-Fi issues, it's on the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

tanr2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanr2001
malingjc wrote:Yup, dropped $10 from last time.

I do love mine though.

I got one a week or so ago too. Would Woot refund the $10 difference?

W. Harold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages W. Harold

Paradigm for speakers. Very great value. Hard to find, usually you need to get them at a real audio shop, you won't find them at a big box.

Fantastic!

Thanks for the heads up about this Woot. No Woot for me today.

----------------------------
First Woot! 2004 and still no Babies on Cribs

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

AfroGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AfroGT
kdpulido wrote:Does it have a cable input source?

You mean for a TV tuner to receive cable channels? No receivers have that, not even the expensive ones.

A cable input source would do me no good anyway since I have DirecTV.

AfroGT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AfroGT
psyshrnk wrote:don't see an input for a turntable!

You're not going to see one either. Phono inputs only come on mid-high level receivers. If you need to plug in a turntable then get an inexpensive phono amp to plug into this receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-PP400-Ultra-Compact-Phono-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333233092&sr=8-3

jetboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jetboy
lethargicmass wrote:Perhaps that seems reasonable to you, but not to me. When you read that, you apparently add the phrase "regardless of the individual source devices' output formats." I, however, append the phrase "if all of your individual output devices happen to support HDMI."

It's normal for people to read what they want to hear into advertising copy, and one of the basic techniques of writing that copy is to lead the consumer into doing so. Those who never learn to read ad copy skeptically instead of hopefully -- and who can't research their purchases beyond reading said ad copy -- will always be doomed to buying products which do not do what they wished.

I assume English isn't your first language? In English "all of your devices", when used in a context such as this where there are multiple types of devices, means "all of your devices." I can only assume that your first language, not being english, does not translate "all" to mean "every device." Now that we've cleared up the language barrier you can more clearly understand.

You're welcome.

teddy345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teddy345
JoeCool1701 wrote:Anything with a headphone jack or line out will work. Be it a Walkman from 1986, a mini disc player, a computer (desktop or laptop), or an ipod or Sansa.

However, if you are talking about an old tape player that is NOT amplified and was part of a Hi-Fi system (would be a similar size to this receiver and mounted inside a wooden case) you would need to buy a pre amp. This is unlikely as most tape decks included at least a built in pre-amp.

If your tape player has a headphone jack all you should need is a cheap cable from any electronics department that is a headphone plug on one end and RCA (Red and White) on the other end (Male to Male).

I recommend one that is 6 feet long so you can leave it easily accessible so you can switch your tape player out for anything else you might use. Handy if a friend has a playlist for a party, just pull the plug out of your tape player and plug in their phone, zune, whatever.

......So I can also play tapes through my speakers for everyone to hear???

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
jetboy wrote:I assume English isn't your first language? In English "all of your devices", when used in a context such as this where there are multiple types of devices, means "all of your devices." I can only assume that your first language, not being english, does not translate "all" to mean "every device." Now that we've cleared up the language barrier you can more clearly understand.

You're welcome.

First you tried to blame w00t for your mistakes, and now you're attacking me for attempting to point it out in as non-insulting a way as I could. I'm sorry you feel the need to blame others for your shortcomings. Please, by all means: continue to lash out at me if it makes you feel better.

But to continue your faux English lesson approach: Your error in grasping the English language occurred when you confused the word "allows" with the word "guarantees." See, in English, "allows" when used in this context means that something is possible; not that something is certain.

And let's not forget that the portion of the ad copy you cited was not the entire relevant section, and that when one reads the entire paragraph, one sees that the only two ways one could have interpreted it as you did would be if (a) you are not very good with the English language -- at which you claim here to be quite expert -- or (b) purposely attempting to twist the words to support your weak, self-serving point.

You're welcome.

I love bacon!

breeze669

quality posts: 0 Private Messages breeze669

Has coax input for cable. See picture: http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR1312/EL_AVR1312Backt360dpij.jpg

jayducharme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jayducharme

Actually, it doesn't have pass-thru. I checked up on that and several buyers had complained that even though Denon claims the amp has it, it apparently doesn't work on this particular model.

And as someone else pointed out, there's no pre-amp for a turntable. So those of us old folk who still use one are out of luck on this woot.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 541 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Howdy all. Just a reminder to focus your comments on the Denon Receiver and not each other.

THANKS!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bradcrc

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bradcrc

My sony receiver won't let me run hdmi through it with my 120hz projector, so I can't do 3d.

Will this thing let me pass 120Hz through it?

reich17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reich17

I seem to remember that the last time this appeared on woot! that someone mentioned that there was no need for an equalizer with this receiver. Anybody care to defend that statement or explain otherwise? Thanks in advance!

lethargicmass

quality posts: 10 Private Messages lethargicmass
ThunderThighs wrote:Howdy all. Just a reminder to focus your comments on the Denon Receiver and not each other.

THANKS!

You are of course correct. My apologies to all.

I love bacon!

reich17

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reich17
ThunderThighs wrote:Howdy all. Just a reminder to focus your comments on the Denon Receiver and not each other.

THANKS!

Please, one more off-topic comment....that reich17 sure is a handsome devil.

gds

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gds
reich17 wrote: someone mentioned that there was no need for an equalizer with this receiver. Anybody care to defend that statement or explain otherwise? Thanks in advance!

Whether you want to use an outboard equalizer is a completely personal matter.
I like to have as flat of a frequency response as possible, so any AVR that I have will always be accompanied with an outboard EQ.
Audyssey does a great job, but not enough for me.
And I don't think this AVR even has Audyssey. So if you want a flatter response, then this AVR would do better with an EQ.

KeithIrwin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KeithIrwin
rapstas wrote:What a sweet deal; I have been loving almost every aspect of the one I purcahsed from the last sale.
Sound quality is great; hdmi pass-through and on-screen set-up is great. 4 Configurable buttons on the front for picking your favorite inputs is awesome! Remembering previous settings is lovely.

The only disappointing thing is not being able to have me CD player controllable with the remote. I can't think of any other complaints.

Mine really is performing like a champ and have not regretted the purchase one bit.

I own this receiver. It does not have HDMI-pass through on standby. Denon apparently at some point incorrectly listed that it did because when I bought it, both Amazon and C|net said that it did. Currently, if you check with Denon, they say it doesn't. If you download the manual, it makes no mention of this feature. This is very definitely not a support HDMI-pass through on standby, which is what people usually mean when they say "HDMI-pass through". It does pass 3D HDMI signals through, but that's a separate issue. Woot's description is accurate, but the post I've quoted is misleading.

Other posters who said that it strictly passes through the HDMI video signal are slightly wrong. It does add an on-screen display onto them when you use the menu or adjust the volume. However, they are completely correct when they say that it does not up-convert video from non-HDMI sources.

On the whole, I've been happy with this receiver. The sound quality is good. Volume increases are nice and smooth. The quick-change buttons are convenient so changing inputs has been easy (and hitting one will turn on the power, so it's even only a single button press), except that only three of the HDMI inputs map to buttons. The last one is used for the iPod dock (I don't own an iPod), so it would've been nice if the quick-change buttons were reprogrammable.

What's bad about it is: 1) no video upconversion 2) no HDMI-pass through on standby 3) no return audio channel support (it's okay for me, my TV doesn't support it anyway) 4) cheap connectors for the surround-sound speakers, including the center-channel one. Only nice connectors for front right and front left. 5) It eats the audio from the HDMI signal so if you're using this to switch HDMI, you have to use it for audio (no huge deal, but it would be nice if it let the TV have the audio signal too, just in case I wanted to use it) 6) not a lot of inputs 7) minor software bug which sometimes causes changes in the options menu to not take effect 8) no automatic calibration option

Most of the short-comings I was aware of going into this and didn't want to pay the extra $200-300 for the next model up which would avoid all of that, so I don't really regret them. Numbers 2 and 7 were surprises. 7 isn't a big deal. It just meant that I changed something in the menu and then it didn't work and then I had to go and change it again to get it to work. And I worked around 2 by having the device I wanted to pass-through instead go directly to the TV and feed the audio to the receiver using a fiberoptic cable (and I complained to Amazon about the misleading description and they gave me some of my money back, so in the end that was all good).

So, for what it is, I think it's pretty good. But you should know that this is a low-end surround receiver without all the bells and whistles. If you buy this expecting bells and whistles it doesn't have, then you'll be disappointed. If you expect a bare-bones HDMI-switching surround-sound receiver, I think you'll be pleased with the good sound quality and easy interface. It's not going to be as good as the $600+ AV receivers, but it's a good deal at this price.

KeithIrwin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KeithIrwin
breeze669 wrote:Has coax input for cable. See picture: http://usa.denon.com/Assets/images/products/AVR1312/EL_AVR1312Backt360dpij.jpg

That's an input for an FM antenna. If you hook your cable TV service up to it, the only thing which will happen is that you'll get lousy FM reception.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 541 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

reich17 wrote:Please, one more off-topic comment....that reich17 sure is a handsome devil.

Oh, baby.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

chillipalmer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chillipalmer
lethargicmass wrote:First you tried to blame w00t for your mistakes, and now you're attacking me for attempting to point it out in as non-insulting a way as I could. I'm sorry you feel the need to blame others for your shortcomings. Please, by all means: continue to lash out at me if it makes you feel better.

But to continue your faux English lesson approach: Your error in grasping the English language occurred when you confused the word "allows" with the word "guarantees." See, in English, "allows" when used in this context means that something is possible; not that something is certain.

And let's not forget that the portion of the ad copy you cited was not the entire relevant section, and that when one reads the entire paragraph, one sees that the only two ways one could have interpreted it as you did would be if (a) you are not very good with the English language -- at which you claim here to be quite expert -- or (b) purposely attempting to twist the words to support your weak, self-serving point.

You're welcome.

Fin.

But seriously would one think it included speakers if it said something like "allows you to experience immersive, theater quality surround sound with 6 speakers."?

To me that means exactly what is says... this product allows me to do something with x piece of equipment also needed to experience it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
chillipalmer wrote:Fin.

But seriously would one think it included speakers if it said something like "allows you to experience immersive, theater quality surround sound with 6 speakers."?

To me that means exactly what is says... this product allows me to do something with x piece of equipment also needed to experience it.

So if you bought a Playstation 3 that said "allows you to play hundreds of video games of all genre's" than you would assume the system came with hundreds of games? I think not.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

FallenAnjel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages FallenAnjel
jeffamex63 wrote:I've heard even the cheap speakers from Wal Mart say nice things about Denon amplifiers.

IDK if it was here or another site, but I bought these "Hollywood" speakers and they're pretty darn good. $15.

Boston Acoustics are good speakers. I have the BA735's. Got them on Ebay for about $20.

~~Fallen Anjel
www.facebook.com/gtdphoto
www.facebook.com/gtdenterprisesinc
~My body is a cage. My mind holds the key. (Except I lost the key...)
~I've worked too hard for my illusions just to throw them all away.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 35 Private Messages sellbuyer92

This piece of equipment really has good results...

Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

trumpetguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trumpetguy
jetboy wrote:
There are plenty of receivers with similar MSRP to this one:

Sony STR DH720
Pioneer VSX 921-K AV
Samsung HW-C900

If you think the headroom on any of those brands is anywhere close to the Denon, buy them. The Denon name (and a few others) has always meant well-designed power supplies and dynamic range that exceeds other brands.

beckmule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beckmule

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this - Denon receivers are superlative, but their setup manuals will devour your soul. Thankfully there is an individual who has simplified the Denon experience for everyone, and his website is free: Batpig's "Denon to English Dictionary" may be found here http://batpigworld.com/. Thank me later.

gds

lethargicmass wrote:
When considering Bose, keep this in mind: They are the ones who introduced the world to the concept of cheap, plastic, lo-fi home theater systems consisting of crap mini-satellites that reproduce only high frequencies and a "subwoofer" that reproduces only mid-range (not bass or sub-bass) frequencies.

Obviously you've never handled these old Accoustimass speakers and you've never measured their frequency response. I still own my Accoustimass set from 1993 and am not a Bose fan-boy but I will give a faithful description of them.
Giving the satellite cubes a knuckle rap test shows that they are very solidly built, having very good heft and weight, very dense. The fabric and other materials are all high quality. For the wires they do use spring clips, but again, these are more industrial strength than what is used on cheaper speakers (also after almost 20yrs of abuse, mine are still holding on strong).
The speaker wires that came with the system are tinned on the ends. This shows the extra care and attention-to-detail that you are paying for with Bose.
This system does not have a 'subwoofer,' it has a bass module. Measuring with a standard SPL meter, 45hz is only 2db down from a testing volume of 85db (that's pretty good bass, it follows very closely with my JBL Studio S312's which have 12"woofers). Below 45hz, it falls off sharply.
The sound produced by the Bose are not very accurate but they do sound very good. I would say that they have the same effect as a tube amplifier. These speakers can make poor recordings sound good, but on the other hand, great recordings will still only sound good, not great.

lethargicmass wrote:You can bet that the sweet spot of every Bose HT speaker system's "subwoofer" is right at 500 Hz, and that the satellites shine at 12k.

The bass module doesn't handle 500hz, the satellites do.
The frequency of 6.3khz is 2db down from a testing volume of 85db. Above 6.3khz, it falls off sharply. At 12khz, it is 20db down from the testing volume (same as with the bass, this treble also follows my JBL's closely).

gds

"With four (4) HDMI inputs, the AVR-1312 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices like game consoles and Blu-ray players to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable, reducing cable clutter."

To clear up any confusion, maybe the last sentence could have read "It also allows you to connect all of your HDMI devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable, reducing cable clutter."
But that's just me.

maciver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages maciver

My old RCA receiver died this week it was a 1500w 5.1 system. Can I hook these up with no problem? I am new to audio video and notice this is 75W is this measured in a different way? From what I see my sub is 167w max and has a funny little plug that says sub control on the receiver. I assume this is a power supply to allow me to use the push button power switch to activate it. Can I rig this somehow or should I get a new sub? I am on a limited budget and just blew most of it on this receiver. Thanks

gds

Do you have a model number for your old system?
If it was an all-in-one system (or a 'home-theater-in-a-box' (HTIB)), it might have used speakers and connections that could only be used with that receiver.
1) Subwoofer: does the sub have it's own amplifier (if it does, it would have a metal plate on the back of it with cooling fins and controls (i.e. volume knob, crossover knob...))?

2) Subwoofer: does the sub use a standard RCA cable connection (at the sub and at the receiver), or is it connected with standard 2-wire speaker wire?

3) Main/surround speakers: is there information printed on the speakers that say 'impedance 4/6/ or 8 ohms?'

4) Main/surround speakers/receiver: does each speaker use a standard 2-wire connection (+/-), or something fancy?

gds

If needing new cheaper speakers, a system based off these Pioneer SP-BS21 speakers would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS21-LR-Watt-2-Way-Speaker/dp/B004MEWZE4/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

teddy345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teddy345
teddy345 wrote:......So I can also play tapes through my speakers for everyone to hear???

HELP Can someone answer me please? Can I play tapes throught my speakers hooked up to this receiver??????

Thanks, Kathy

gds

If your tape player has standard audio output jacks (typically either stereo or mono RCA jack/jacks, or a headphone output jack), then yes, you should be able to connect your tape player to this AVR.

Aloso...
Look at JoeCool's response to you at 3:32pm.