+ Add a Comment

pohlmacs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pohlmacs
nico97 wrote:Maybe the April Fool's Day joke is that there will be no bunnies ogling carrots on April Fools and instead will be up for sale the next day?

Well, since they are March-ing on, and the coupon scan code is not working yet (error being too early), I think there is a chance that Woot is getting all Little Orphan Annie on us...playing on repeat in their offices while having a field day reading all of these posts. I mean, it is a Sunday after all, what else are they going to do and how many people are really there to enjoy it until tomorrow? It's only a day away.

HikingStick

quality posts: 6 Private Messages HikingStick
stangjason wrote:Will something like this work in tent while camping? If you live where it's hot and humid like I do you'll understand why I want to know this.

TT: Added to indicate product related post.

It depends how much of your own heat that's being generated in the tent.

HikingStick
Blessings Of Commerce> Seven!
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Shirt Woots> Two (BoCarrots, The Raven).
Kids Woots> Eight.

vernon71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vernon71
nico97 wrote:Maybe the April Fool's Day joke is that there will be no bunnies ogling carrots on April Fools and instead will be up for sale the next day?

That would be bad form. about the same level as declaring Opposite Day.

aladdyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aladdyn

[quote postid="4937727" user="worldwidewebfeet"]The problem with "portable a/c units" is that the exhaust tube generates heat requiring more runtime of the ac unit which then generates more heat.

Hmmm not sure if your joking, but if not... ACs remove heat from air, the hot air goes outside. If you have a portable AC and you dont run a flexible line from the exhaust to a window, your doing it wrong.

Th0r

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Th0r
aladdyn wrote:[quote postid="4937727" user="worldwidewebfeet"]The problem with "portable a/c units" is that the exhaust tube generates heat requiring more runtime of the ac unit which then generates more heat.

Hmmm not sure if your joking, but if not... ACs remove heat from air, the hot air goes outside. If you have a portable AC and you dont run a flexible line from the exhaust to a window, your doing it wrong.

Also, if the exhaust is too close to the intake, the hot air is sucked back in. Not cool!

HikingStick

worldwidewebfeet wrote:You do understand that the plastic vent tubes DO radiate heat.

Well, when I've used these, I've always wrapped the vent ducts in insulated wrap. It minimizes any heat transfer into the room.

These things are great if you are in a building with casement windows, or windows that are too small (or too oddly shaped) for an A/C unit.

HikingStick
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Kids Woots> Eight.

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

5 bucks to deliver? WOW

Jessara

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jessara
zippo6 wrote:I know I may be charged with blasphemy for this, but what if the fine folks at WOOT have no intention of providing us with the elusive Bunch Of Crackers? ... And, what if this strike (not the writers one) causes the rest of the world that can’t get this elusive Ballad of Clampetts, to decide that the internet just isn’t worth it anymore, and all turn off their computers sending society back into the stone ages, like back in the 1970’s. What if? Huh?

I’m just saying….

No, the entire computing world will crash totally at 0900 EST tomorrow. That's when the 1940 U.S. census images will be released by NARA, and every genealogist in the world will be trying frantically to d/l several million unindexed images before the crash happens.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

Oh well, I at least tried to mask the URL. Oh well. I suppose I could have linked to the Hampster Dance instead.

On a related note, does anyone know the humidity limits on one of these? As in how dry it can get a room in a humid area of Alabama?

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

One fun thing about these is using them to hold up one of the 'walls' of a blanket fort. Last summer, the kids and I would hang out in a fort and the unit was able to cool things down enough inside the fort that we'd start shivering.

Aside from that, they don't do much good. Your money would better be spent on a window mount. We paid $400 for ours and shortly after got a window mount for half the price that did double the cooling, even though it had 2/3 the BTU rating.

andrewkl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages andrewkl
PabloPalmeri6837 wrote:I agree

See? You guys all need people like me & my new close friend Pablo to be the voice of reason in here... :-)

Just really damn lucky: Random Crap: 2/15/08, 2/19/09, 12/25/09, 4/1/10, 12/1/10, 12/25/10, 4/1/11, 5/11/11, 9/14/11, 10/12/11, 12/25/11

HikingStick

matt1976 wrote:Save your money, folks. I've had one of these for 2 summers and they don't do a whole lot cooling. We have a 10k btu unit that we got from Sears we paid less for that cools more.

It's very loud, even with the fan on low. Even in single digit humidity, we still have to drain the tank every few weeks.

We got ours from Costco for $100 more delivered. If I had to do it over again, I wold have got a window mount unit.

Had to drain the tank once ever few weeks? Consider yourself lucky. Most of the times I've run units like this, I've been emptying the resevoir multiple times a day.

HikingStick
Woots> 36 and counting!
Sellout Woots> Eight.
Kids Woots> Eight.

vernon71

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vernon71
HikingStick wrote:Had to drain the tank once ever few weeks? Consider yourself lucky. Most of the times I've run units like this, I've been emptying the resevoir multiple times a day.

mmm... ice cold, condensed water. nothing more pure.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
worldwidewebfeet wrote:Woot is a private company/message boards, they can delete or allow any postings they feel. Freedom of Speech refers to the government.

When you are in someone else's house they can allow or censor any speech they like.

Glad someone gets this,as you point out the key word here is government.

As far as the AC goes I had one similar but a Maytag, used it for two days,hated it and brought it back to Sam's Club. There were three at the CS desk that other customers had returned. The Maytag threw more heat from the duct tube(yes it was vented out the window) than cool air from the the unit itself.Can't really speak about the Haier unit though.

matt1976

HikingStick wrote:Had to drain the tank once ever few weeks? Consider yourself lucky. Most of the times I've run units like this, I've been emptying the resevoir multiple times a day.

Our typical summer time relative humidity is 3%-5%.

nymetsfan1226

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nymetsfan1226
andrewkl wrote:My newest theory, which makes an awful lot more sense than trying to figure Greenwich Mean Time -11 hours, or + 11 hours...

Plain and simple: at any given RANDOM time, one likely with no signifigance, a new blog entry will be posted announcing the end of the strike, and the return to work of the writers. His will be followed immediately by the replacing of the product descriptions across all woot! Sites, and the inclusion of the usual, annual woot! April Fools Day wild goose chase.

Exactly. The Woot Gods are probably sitting around, sipping brandy and doing that High Society laugh out loud sound while us little people keep hitting F5 and complaining on the board.

I've crapped 6 times!

lumpthar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lumpthar
vernon71 wrote:mmm... ice cold, condensed water. nothing more pure.

Huh? Do not, under any circumstances, drink or ingest the water that comes out of an air conditioner or dehumidifier.

Not only is it not pure, it is a very good way to catch Legionnaires' disease (or something else particularly nasty).

jpawmsu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpawmsu

I dont think most people know that a/c's are trying to reduce the humidity level. If its only pulling hot are out and cool are into a room , you'd be better off just using fans for that

Anorion

quality posts: 35 Private Messages Anorion
lumpthar wrote:Huh? Do not, under any circumstances, drink or ingest the water that comes out of an air conditioner or dehumidifier.

Not only is it not pure, it is a very good way to catch Legionnaires' disease (or something else particularly nasty).

Only if you're really dumb and don't clean it regularly. This is exactly how water reclamation is done commercially.

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

wyk3d

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wyk3d
jpawmsu wrote:I dont think most people know that a/c's are trying to reduce the humidity level. If its only pulling hot are out and cool are into a room , you'd be better off just using fans for that

Fan's don't cool rooms, they cool people.

mrobey614

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrobey614

Woot writers please end the strike! My eyes are bleeding and my wife is yelling at me to do something. I hope this AC will cool my shed because that is where I will be sleeping if this does not end soon!!!! I am begging. If there are any kind souls reading this that have something figured out please PM me!! Thanks!

FarSeer00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FarSeer00

Did the price change? Could 298.89 mean "tonight at nine?" Just a theory...

lumpthar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lumpthar
Anorion wrote:Only if you're really dumb and don't clean it regularly. This is exactly how water reclamation is done commercially.

Understood, but the water being sucked out of the air has still been floating around with all the wild microbes, smoke particles, dust things, etc that would dissolve into the water.

Also, I'm under the impression that most users would clean the tank and evaporator coils once per season, at most.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
chgo wrote:5 bucks to deliver? WOW

Welcome to Woot! If you're impressed with this (and who wouldn't be) wait until you see your first Woot-off.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff

BTW, Writers or whoever: This write up is one of my all time favorites!

yanksfanry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yanksfanry
lstaff wrote:BTW, Writers or whoever: This write up is one of my all time favorites!

Thank SCAB

nuketank

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nuketank

First time I posted this got claimed by the Great Mod Purge, so I'll replay the breakdown between portable A/C's, window units, and the advantages of each.
With a portable A/C, like this one, you get the convenience of being able to put it almost anywhere, within reason and venting range, can wheel it over right to where you need the most cooling, and it's a veritable cakewalk to install in almost any window, including ones that open vertically, or are on 2nd+ story levels.
Drawbacks come in that the unit takes up prized floor space, and portables tend to be FAR noisier than most other types, since you have the compressor and two fans sitting right beside you purring away. Efficiency can be a concern, especially in single-hose models.
Window units, on the other hand, mount flush in your window (duh) and run far quieter, given that 67% of the thing is outside, separated by a wall of insulation. Efficiency tends to be better in these units thanks to having no indoor venting run.
You'll have to watch out for unusual windows that the unit won't fit in, high places, and heavy units you have to heft into your window.

Overall, if you can fit and fling one, by all means put in a window unit. If you're looking for coverage because your central's down, want to cool your garage while you work in it, or you can't put in a window unit, reach Haier and get this portable.
I know I want to.
Edit: I know I did.

Notable Woots:
1 Samsung Modus Bluetooth Headset Kit, 2 MuzxDNA Earphones (one lost, one destroyed) superceded by 2 MEElectronics M16 Earphones, 2 Phantom S107's, 1 Art101 124-piece art set, iGo rechargable battery set, way more Fuji batteries than I immediately know what to do with, 1 Dell Streak 7" Tablet
1 Big Old Chevy dated 3/22/2011, #4 of the night (!).
1 Bundle of Caravans dated 4/25/2011

pohlmacs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pohlmacs
FarSeer00 wrote:Did the price change? Could 298.89 mean "tonight at nine?" Just a theory...

I like that theory.

Anorion

quality posts: 35 Private Messages Anorion
lumpthar wrote:Understood, but the water being sucked out of the air has still been floating around with all the wild microbes, smoke particles, dust things, etc that would dissolve into the water.

Also, I'm under the impression that most users would clean the tank and evaporator coils once per season, at most.

The filter on the unit should remove most of this. If you're still worried about it, run the water through a filter or something before you drink it. Even a couple layers of t-shirt material will get most of the stuff you should worry about out.

Certified Linux Chemist Guy.
If I hated Apple products any more than I do, I'd be on lists.

almirar

quality posts: 7 Private Messages almirar
jpawmsu wrote:I dont think most people know that a/c's are trying to reduce the humidity level. If its only pulling hot air out and cool are into a room , you'd be better off just using fans for that

The best alternative is a dehumidifier. I use mine to keep the basement dry in winter and the upstairs cool in summer by removing the humidity.

lizzitish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizzitish

Da price has not changed, you are simply delusional from lack of sleep, I slept a few hours at least, but upon waking my first thought was "Oh No! Did I miss anything?!" If you do not enjoy the pursuit, if you wish to complain about woot and all things that come in bags, please provide an example of the American economy in action and boycott! Go away! We do not wish your kind here! Pfft.

Lizzi Tish

matt1976

If you order 3 of these, you get a killer deal on shipping.

nmumark

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nmumark
thumperchick wrote:This Haier is a cool deal woot, but I'll stick with my central air.

I'll stick to my giant block of ice with a fan behind it.

renrutnairbwoot

quality posts: 4 Private Messages renrutnairbwoot
FarSeer00 wrote:Did the price change? Could 298.89 mean "tonight at nine?" Just a theory...

I don't know if the price changed, but I like your thinking! Maybe it will keep me away from this thing for a little while.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

With an operating range of 61-100F, I guess this won't chill my beer cellar, but it should work well with my Woot Wine collection

BTW, methinks the clue y'all are seeking is found in the Woot calendar (please don't crash the server)

s21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s21

Have you noticed that the prices on Woot, Woot Sellout, and Woot Home have odd prices too?

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

Tempted to get one for my garage, seeing as I'm in Georgia now and setting the garage up as my laboratory.

jsoko

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jsoko

Explain Sellout and home then.

ericleer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericleer

submitted, with all due respect, to Mr. Jason Tom, author of the latest update on the "strike"

Dear Sir.

I find it eerily intriguing, to a point, that the one you call Scab, (who used your drive for a turnaround), shares his given moniker with the very S.C.A.B. that has been put in place of you, the gallant writers of writ.

Any comment?

"Every strike brings me closer to the next home run."

~ Babe Ruth

You're either on the bus, or off the bus.

~ Ken Kesey

s21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages s21

My avatar just changed...