GuardianBob


quality posts: 11 Private Messages GuardianBob

So, looking at the history, Woot in the past has done the April 1st BOC within a week or of a woot-off with a BOC.

March 26, 2010: BOC
April 1, 2010: April 1st Adventure Crap

So the excuse of "we just did that and you should've know that we wouldn't do it again" rings hollow.

Now can I fault Woot? No, in the end it is their choice. They can break tradition, whenever they want. What I can fault them for is lame excuses when they should just own it.

You guys decided not to do it this year, that's fine. Say that and move on. Heck, if you said that a couple of days ago, or a week ago, people wouldn't be as upset. You can point and say look, we told you.

That said, this seems like the BOC was going to be offered (indicated by the bag of jerks picture) but something happened. I know in my area credit card processing was spotty. If something like that came up and you guys decided to cancel, just say so. You'll get far more forgiveness and understanding for being honest.

McGurk


quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of April Fools Day to do something unexpected, usually in a not-so-nice manner, in an effort to obtain personal entertainment at the expense of others? Looks like woot! did just that, and each time someone posts that they are upset that they didn't have the opportunity to get a Bunnies Ogling Carrots they are feeding into the very joke they are upset with. I bit at midnight, looked for an hour and a half with no luck, and looking back I think it is hilarious that the reaction is as it is, myself included.

The Bunnies Ogling Carrots by its very nature it an unexpected item full of unexpected items at an unexpected time, and people get upset that it didn't come at a scheduled time and didn't include typical items. To sell it at a known time in a known fashion takes away from its mystical draw, and ruins it.

Well Played, woot!.

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

What was the the total # of Bunnies Ogling Carrots that were in the last wootoff,was it 2489 total or 2489 x 3?

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
yrguide wrote:Inky, gotta ask...any reason you guys didn't tell the lemmings at some point yesterday that no Bunnies Ogling Carrots was coming?

(Good feedback snipped for length)

PS: Will there be any follow up on the writers strike?



Well, not my call as I'm not around during the weekends, but I also haven't been witness to any time (woot-off or no) during my time here (almost a year, can we have a party in May?) that we (and by we I mean community, and not Wootlive) have told people that bags are/are not coming. It's just not something we do.

As for the writer strike, hey, I'll ask but I'm peering around suspiciously and things seem normal today...

I'm just hanging out, really.

zollars23


quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23
McGurk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of April Fools Day to do something unexpected, usually in a not-so-nice manner, in an effort to obtain personal entertainment at the expense of others? Looks like woot! did just that, and each time someone posts that they are upset that they didn't have the opportunity to get a Bunnies Ogling Carrots they are feeding into the very joke they are upset with. I bit at midnight, looked for an hour and a half with no luck, and looking back I think it is hilarious that the reaction is as it is, myself included.

The Bunnies Ogling Carrots by its very nature it an unexpected item full of unexpected items at an unexpected time, and people get upset that it didn't come at a scheduled time and didn't include typical items. To sell it at a known time in a known fashion takes away from its mystical draw, and ruins it.

Well Played, woot!.



I agree completely! A Bunnies Ogling Carrots is NEVER guaranteed, EVER! It was started as a reward for long-time wooters, and as such is a GIFT! Did you whine and cry and stomp around when Santa or the Hanukkah Zombie didn't bring you a Don't Touch Me There Elmo or My First Plastic Surgery Barbie? Yeah, you probably did!

So, go back to screaming racist epithets over XBL during Call it Doody and let the rest of us enjoy our wooting.

Good day to you!

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

Ascended


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ascended
GuardianBob wrote:So, looking at the history, Woot in the past has done the April 1st BOC within a week or of a woot-off with a BOC.

March 26, 2010: BOC
April 1, 2010: April 1st Adventure Crap

So the excuse of "we just did that and you should've know that we wouldn't do it again" rings hollow.

Now can I fault Woot? No, in the end it is their choice. They can break tradition, whenever they want. What I can fault them for is lame excuses when they should just own it.

You guys decided not to do it this year, that's fine. Say that and move on. Heck, if you said that a couple of days ago, or a week ago, people wouldn't be as upset. You can point and say look, we told you.

That said, this seems like the BOC was going to be offered (indicated by the bag of jerks picture) but something happened. I know in my area credit card processing was spotty. If something like that came up and you guys decided to cancel, just say so. You'll get far more forgiveness and understanding for being honest.



I noticed the same thing about the dates. The excuse just doesn't work. Not only did was there a Bunnies Ogling Carrots shortly before the April 1st one that year, but there was another on April 14, 2010. The excuse is hollow.

bradyson


quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradyson
zollars23 wrote:I agree completely! A Bunnies Ogling Carrots is NEVER guaranteed, EVER! It was started as a reward for long-time wooters, and as such is a GIFT! Did you whine and cry and stomp around when Santa or the Hanukkah Zombie didn't bring you a Don't Touch Me There Elmo or My First Plastic Surgery Barbie? Yeah, you probably did!

So, go back to screaming racist epithets over XBL during Call it Doody and let the rest of us enjoy our wooting.

Good day to you!



+1
I SAID, GOOD DAY!!!

rebeltreble


quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble
zollars23 wrote:I agree completely! A Bunnies Ogling Carrots is NEVER guaranteed, EVER! It was started as a reward for long-time wooters, and as such is a GIFT! Did you whine and cry and stomp around when Santa or the Hanukkah Zombie didn't bring you a Don't Touch Me There Elmo or My First Plastic Surgery Barbie? Yeah, you probably did!

So, go back to screaming racist epithets over XBL during Call it Doody and let the rest of us enjoy our wooting.

Good day to you!



I don't view anything I have to pay for as a gift. Considering my last three Bunnies Ogling Carrots have had maybe $3 worth of stuff in them that is pretty much the worst gift ever. I'd rather have my $8 back.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

zollars23


quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23
rebeltreble wrote:I don't view anything I have to pay for as a gift. Considering my last three Bunnies Ogling Carrots have had maybe $3 worth of stuff in them that is pretty much the worst gift ever. I'd rather have my $8 back.



No one forced you to buy them. There is no guarantee of anything in them but one bag and 3 items. You can stop getting them and allow someone else a shot.

I've had 6 Bunnies Ogling Carrots#39;s since 2006, I've had great stuff, I've had garage sale stuff. I've never had a bag worth less than $10. My last one had a kids Woot shirt, that was $15 on it's own. Just because you don't get a 61" tv or a roomba every time is no reason to pout like a 3 year old.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

granilithe


quality posts: 9 Private Messages granilithe

I'm much more disappointed in the fact they didn't even finish the joke....that's just lazy.

Geethatsgr8


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Geethatsgr8
McGurk wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of April Fools Day to do something unexpected, usually in a not-so-nice manner, in an effort to obtain personal entertainment at the expense of others? Looks like woot! did just that, and each time someone posts that they are upset that they didn't have the opportunity to get a Bunnies Ogling Carrots they are feeding into the very joke they are upset with.



Again, I don't think it's the Box of Crayons most people are upset with. And it's expected that Woot will "pull something" that will irritate a lot of people (like the game last year that was virtually impossible to actually win). But that's the point. This year, the gag that was pulled wasn't even fully played out. Regardless of whether there was a bag or not, Woot didn't even finish what they started. Now, I guess that could've been their plan all along, but that would be like someone singing a song and building up to the chorus, then just stop singing abruptly. It's as if they had a GREAT idea for April Fools Day, spent a fair amount of time and effort on it in the beginning, but then everyone got bored with it, or maybe couldn't come up with a cool way to end it, so they just got up and went home.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
duodec wrote:Inkycatz,
just one comment. There are a lot of folks who don't choose to use facebook, so a request; if an announcement like the one reported is going to be made, please do it here, or spread it around to all the significant sites (I for one monitor Woot's Twitter feeds; Google+ and other sites might be worth nudging). The whole world doesn't read facebook (but all your customers can easily get informed here).

Thanks! And FWIW I'm not upset though I was sorry not to see closure on the strike storyline.



That's totally legit feedback, I appreciate you all saying it, and I'll make sure folks see it.

I'm just hanging out, really.

skagasz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages skagasz

EDIT: My mistake... my theory below is... well... a Bunnies Ogling Carrots ... My apologies for the false alarm.

Welll... I, and many others I fear, may have to wipe the egg from our faces soon. While I tried many things close to this, a link that was posted in another thread by pblgov seems like it may have been the hiding spot of the Bag this year. It makes sense now looking at the picture from the last blog entry... the sign was the address. I just neglected to include the "?!" part myslef.

If this is in fact the case, well done Woot! You outdid yourself this year. And credit of course to pblgov who was most likely one of the very few of us to completely figure it out in time.

pblgov wrote:woot.com/?!/bagofjerks



Professional Student... No More!

yrguide


quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
skagasz wrote:Welll... I, and many others I fear, may have to wipe the egg from our faces soon. While I tried many things close to this, a link that was posted in another thread by pblgov seems like it may have been the hiding spot of the Bag this year. It makes sense now looking at the picture from the last blog entry... the sign was the address. I just neglected to include the "?!" part myslef.

If this is in fact the case, well done Woot! You outdid yourself this year. And credit of course to pblgov who was most likely one of the very few of us to completely figure it out in time.




Intriguing but these are also active links FYI:

http://www.woot.com/?!/satan
http://www.woot.com/?!/nosferatu
http://www.woot.com/?!/yourmomjokes
http://www.woot.com/?!/umadbro
http://www.woot.com/?!/nobocforyou
http://www.woot.com/?!/tatertots


Oh and there's this:

pblgov wrote:nope, I don't think there was one.

See y'all next year




http://www.woot.com/Forums/viewpost.aspx?PostID=4899632&PageIndex=42&ReplyCount=1673#post4941000

missellienc


quality posts: 15 Private Messages missellienc
skagasz wrote:Welll... I, and many others I fear, may have to wipe the egg from our faces soon. While I tried many things close to this, a link that was posted in another thread by pblgov seems like it may have been the hiding spot of the Bag this year. It makes sense now looking at the picture from the last blog entry... the sign was the address. I just neglected to include the "?!" part myslef.

If this is in fact the case, well done Woot! You outdid yourself this year. And credit of course to pblgov who was most likely one of the very few of us to completely figure it out in time.


___________________________________________________

Someone posted that address yesterday and it was a no-go.

xavoc


quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
inkycatz wrote:Actually, the Bags of Crayolas were changed up significantly in this last woot-off due to user feedback. Just so you know that feedback does get listened to.



I rather liked how Woot handled the Bunnies Ogling Carrots breakup in the last wootoff. I guess I'm just used to there being a Bunnies Ogling Carrots on April Fools, and as I've posted elsewhere really what I've enjoyed more than anything is hunting for the Bunnies Ogling Carrots on April Fools.

Am I disappointed? Sure. Not because I desperately feel that I deserve a Bunnies Ogling Carrots I've already received one of the ultimate Bunnies Ogling Carrots pallets, so I certainly never feel cheated even if I don't get one.

But, even my wife who NEVER shops at woot, and really doesn't like my fertilizer.Woot! obsession very much reminded me just before midnight CST about the yearly April Fools on Woot! So off I went hunting high and low and she's next to me reading the screen trying to figure it all out too.

That's the part that was the letdown. Even the writer's strike spoof was massively... a letdown? I was appreciating the humor in it, even though there didn't appear to be a Bunnies Ogling Carrots but then it just fizzled out and had no resolution or update or anything.

I'm not one to scream at folk to grab the pitch forks and torches mind you, I don't...

I don't think Woot! did its customers any favors, Bunnies Ogling Carrots or no, with this year's April Fools joke. It just wasn't up to the level of joke I guess we all kind of expect from Woot!

Personally if it were me I'd have done something like announce the creation of brony.woot.com and done a My Little Pony themed Bunnies Ogling Carrots Where you'd get My Little Pony stickers, or blankets, or pencils, or something. Or teamed up with ThinkGeek to pull off a "geek.woot.com" launch.

Or, hell. Announce that the writer strike was ended, and part of the contract renegotiation requires that the writers give over their markers, poster boards, and talking points memo to be sent out in Bunnies Ogling Carrots.

People could have then received hand-drawn picket signs from the Woot employees posing as the writers, and...

zatkins08


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zatkins08

pblgov later said in that thread that there was not a Bunnies Ogling Carrots at that link.

skagasz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages skagasz
missellienc wrote:Someone posted that address yesterday and it was a no-go.



Yeah... I played with a lot more since I posted and I realized that anything after the question mark is being handled as a query string... granted it doesn't do anything special, just looks like a different URL for Woot. My bad.

Professional Student... No More!

yrguide


quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
inkycatz wrote:Well, not my call as I'm not around during the weekends, but I also haven't been witness to any time (woot-off or no) during my time here (almost a year, can we have a party in May?) that we (and by we I mean community, and not Wootlive) have told people that bags are/are not coming. It's just not something we do.

As for the writer strike, hey, I'll ask but I'm peering around suspiciously and things seem normal today...



I'd make the argument that not having a Bunnies Ogling Carrots on April Fools is also just not something you guys do until you do it.

It's a little bit tricky to make the "it's just not something we do" argument when on certain days for years the tradition has been they are available (April Fools, Xmas, Woot's Birthday). It's sort of like having a family tradition of having all extended family over for an easter brunch and easter egg hunt but suddenly one year not doing the hunt and not even acknowledging it while the kids are on the lawn ready to go.

I'm not arguing Woot's choice not to have the Bunnies Ogling Carrots I'm arguing that it's been a long standing tradition that you have and that you knew hard core wooters were hanging around for 24 hours trying to figure out a mystery that didn't exist. It was a cute prank at first but after the 8am "clue" and everyone waiting from there it's obvious you guys should have said something.

That said, I'm still pretty sleep deprived from waiting around so maybe I'll feel differently once I've gotten some shut eye. Still loves you woot.

skagasz


quality posts: 3 Private Messages skagasz
zatkins08 wrote:pblgov later said in that thread that there was not a Bunnies Ogling Carrots at that link.



Yeah... my bad... I see that now. Seems I hadn't refreshed that thread in a while. Thanks for the correction.

Professional Student... No More!

dfcnothing


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfcnothing
inkycatz wrote:That's totally legit feedback, I appreciate you all saying it, and I'll make sure folks see it.



I was the one that copied and pasted the info from Facebook. It wasn't really an announcement, it was buried in comments about one of the products. It seemed to answer the questions many people had over here so I pasted it where I thought it may be seen. Ive been coming back year after year and love the Bunnies Ogling Carrots stuff, and the woot logo gear. Sorry for any extra work on the boards it caused.

McGurk


quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk
yrguide wrote:...It's sort of like having a family tradition of having all extended family over for an easter brunch and easter egg hunt but suddenly one year not doing the hunt and not even acknowledging it while the kids are on the lawn ready to go.

I'm not arguing Woot's choice not to have the Bunnies Ogling Carrots I'm arguing that it's been a long standing tradition that you have and that you knew hard core wooters were hanging around for 24 hours trying to figure out a mystery that didn't exist. It was a cute prank at first but after the 8am "clue" and everyone waking from there it's obvious you guys should have said something..



There are no rules as to when the crap bag has to come. We are not owed a crap bag. No one said the 8AM "clue" was necessarily right. A tradition does not make a rule. woot! didn't have to do anything for April Fools day that led to a reward. It's a Sunday for them, too. How often do you see a wootoff on a weekend? If you were disappointed that they didn't stage an elaborate and detailed challenge for you, then go ask your Mommy for a hug.

You.
Got.
Burned.
By.
woot!.

At some point your teeth become worthless to the Tooth Fairy, too.

And it's not just "hardcore wooters" that were awake at 11:59 Sat night. There are many white box posters here crabbing about the lack of crap, too.

yrguide


quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
McGurk wrote:There are no rules as to when the crap bag has to come. We are not owed a crap bag. No one said the 8AM "clue" was necessarily right. A tradition does not make a rule. woot! didn't have to do anything for April Fools day that led to a reward. It's a Sunday for them, too. How often do you see a wootoff on a weekend? If you were disappointed that they didn't stage an elaborate and detailed challenge for you, then go ask your Mommy for a hug.

You.
Got.
Burned.
By.
woot!.

At some point your teeth become worthless to the Tooth Fairy, too.

And it's not just "hardcore wooters" that were awake at 11:59 Sat night. There are many white box posters here crabbing about the lack of crap, too.



Wow, aren't you incredibly rude and combative? You also seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't care about the lack of crap, I care about the fact that some on the woot staff knew that many of us were wasting our weekend chasing a white rabbit.

Here's an idea, maybe rephrase your post like an adult would and we can discuss it. Thanks.

hackman2007


quality posts: 14 Private Messages hackman2007
yrguide wrote:Wow, aren't you incredibly rude and combative? You also seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. I don't care about the lack of crap, I care about the fact that some on the woot staff knew that many of us were wasting our weekend chasing a white rabbit.

Here's an idea, maybe rephrase your post like an adult would and we can discuss it. Thanks.



I think his post was fine. There were many, many, many, many people complaining about the lack of crap on Saturday/Sunday. Woot deleted most of the comments in the product thread though.

Woot does not owe us anything nor do we owe Woot anything. You chose to stay by the computer all day (and for the record I did the same) and that is your choice. Woot didn't force you to. We are customers, nothing more. While feedback is helpful, it is their site.

lichme


quality posts: 2756 Private Messages lichme

I think this was pretty damn funny, and quite brilliant actually. Train the wooters to associate April Fools with a guaranteed Bunnies Ogling Carrots then after years leading up, take it all away. Then leave random statements that may be interpreted as "clues" to have people keep coming back.

While it is very very cruel, and yes I did stay up waiting for a Bunnies Ogling Carrots this is what it is all about. Well played.

zAmb0ni


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zAmb0ni

A lot of people have said most of the things that needed to have been said about yesterday, but here is one more .

I had totally forgot about the April fools stuff and wandered on the site yesterday and saw tons of posts for the air conditioner and read through and was reminded of the april fools Bunnies Ogling Carrots I'm not a die hard wooter as many others here are and I quickly realized that there was probably not a Bunnies Ogling Carrots forthcoming.

Why?

Because the staff were furious deleting posts without any real explanation, and they wasn't any real "speculation thread" that they could go to or were they directed to a specific place to post off topic posts. It wasn't until ThunderThighs posted late yesterday directing people to a different thread until there was any real type of feedback going on.

Left Hand, Right Hand....no one at woot seemed to know what is going on.

I don't post much here (obviously)...my last post was something about the problems with a past wootoff. Missing Bunnies Ogling Carrots items, lack of variety etc. In that post I mentioned that the "fun" of getting a Bunnies Ogling Carrots was gone, and in addition, it seemed that the people working at woot were not having fun packaging the Bunnies Ogling Carrots either. Yes ColonelCrap was brought in to right the ship, but this April Fools stuff shows that there are lingering problems.

I just feel it is corporatitis setting in. Maybe before the buyout everyone had more of a voice in the goings on, I just don't know. At one time I could imagine the group getting together and saying "what are we doing for April Fools this year?" "Adventure blah blah blah....all leads to a Bunnies Ogling Carrots"

Instead, this year the meeting went started out the same, but some manager interjected...."sorry no Bunnies Ogling Carrots this year. We just tested out some new servers and software, just had a Bunnies Ogling Carrots April 1 is on a Sunday so we would have to have extra people come in on a weekend to make sure things go OK....plus next weekend is Easter weekend so many of the people are going on vacation so we don't want to have people come in on holiday to make sure the Bunnies Ogling Carrots get filled and shipped.....sorry"

The result is what happened yesterday. Half hearted gag, no Bunnies Ogling Carrots and no input/explanation from the staff.

Like it or not, (contrary to those "haha you got fooled, you are never guaranteed a Bunnies Ogling Carrots on April 1" contrarians), woot is a brand and its customers have an expectation of what that brand does and delivers.

Customers should never have to settle for less, or that brand suffers, and woot ceases to be woot anymore. Might as well just call it the Amazon Outlet Store.

Done now, you may resume regular programming.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dfcnothing wrote:I was the one that copied and pasted the info from Facebook. It wasn't really an announcement, it was buried in comments about one of the products. It seemed to answer the questions many people had over here so I pasted it where I thought it may be seen. Ive been coming back year after year and love the Bunnies Ogling Carrots stuff, and the woot logo gear. Sorry for any extra work on the boards it caused.


Eh, no worries.

Time for a semi-distracting Otter!


(And let's remember to attack the topics and not each other, folks, we're getting a bit edgy in this thread.)

ps. use of otter is not meant to shut down any feedback which I am still reading, just a quick cute to lighten the mood slightly

I'm just hanging out, really.

CEQuick75


quality posts: 0 Private Messages CEQuick75
inkycatz wrote:Eh, no worries.

Time for a semi-distracting Otter!


(And let's remember to attack the topics and not each other, folks, we're getting a bit edgy in this thread.)

ps. use of otter is not meant to shut down any feedback which I am still reading, just a quick cute to lighten the mood slightly



I for one am outraged that...awwwwww, what a cute otter! Temper calming...hatred diminishing...Peace, Woot! and love <3

xavoc


quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
inkycatz wrote:Eh, no worries.

Time for a semi-distracting Otter!

I am still reading, just a quick cute to lighten the mood slightly



I will see your distracting Otter and raise you with a questioning Slow Loris.



We demand that you Bag of Jerkfaces (TM Woot.com) give us a better April Fools joke! Or, at least let us know how the writer's strike détente was reached.

McGurk


quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk
yrguide wrote:
...Here's an idea, maybe rephrase your post like an adult would and we can discuss it. Thanks.



Most "adults" I know wouldn't waste a beautiful Sunday hunting a website in an effort to spend $8 on a cheap-crap grab-bag. Nor would they stick around for a day-long quest for obvious up-to-the-minute fake strike write-ups. I am sorry if you feel that woot! screwed you out of a fantastic day of intense web browsing for a story that never materialized and a $8 trip to the dollar store, plus a trip to the dumpster behind Radio Shack. Take a step back and look at what this is, and have a laugh like the rest of us are.

If you want an April Fools hoax, Google is always there for you. I think their 8-bit Google Maps was one of the finest things I've seen in that vein in a long time. They have the April Fools market cornered.

We don't have to discuss this anymore if you don't want to.

GuardianBob


quality posts: 11 Private Messages GuardianBob
McGurk wrote:Most "adults" I know wouldn't waste a beautiful Sunday hunting a website in an effort to spend $8 on a cheap-crap grab-bag. Nor would they stick around for a day-long quest for obvious up-to-the-minute fake strike write-ups. I am sorry if you feel that woot! screwed you out of a fantastic day of intense web browsing for a story that never materialized and a $8 trip to the dollar store, plus a trip to the dumpster behind Radio Shack. Take a step back and look at what this is, and have a laugh like the rest of us are.

If you want an April Fools hoax, Google is always there for you. I think their 8-bit Google Maps was one of the finest things I've seen in that vein in a long time. They have the April Fools market cornered.

We don't have to discuss this anymore if you don't want to.



Well, here in the Pacific Northwest, we only get 20 or so rainy Sundays at ~40 degrees per year, so not such a big loss here.

As for cornering the market, I thought Kodak beat Google this year...

Printing kittens. Kodak Live Print.

abitterwoman


quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman
McGurk wrote:Most "adults" I know wouldn't waste a beautiful Sunday hunting a website in an effort to spend $8 on a cheap-crap grab-bag. Nor would they stick around for a day-long quest for obvious up-to-the-minute fake strike write-ups. I am sorry if you feel that woot! screwed you out of a fantastic day of intense web browsing for a story that never materialized and a $8 trip to the dollar store, plus a trip to the dumpster behind Radio Shack. Take a step back and look at what this is, and have a laugh like the rest of us are.

If you want an April Fools hoax, Google is always there for you. I think their 8-bit Google Maps was one of the finest things I've seen in that vein in a long time. They have the April Fools market cornered.

We don't have to discuss this anymore if you don't want to.




I'm with you on that one. My boyfriend and I went out instead of waiting around the house to see what Woot! might do (no offense Woot!, I still love you) and we ended up scoring a 50" Samsung plasma for $90 (it had a black line across the top). My boyfriend was able to fix it and we flipped it the same day for a profit of almost $400. Then we treated ourselves to sushi. Now don't get me wrong, Woot! is fun and if I'm on the computer anyway I will stick around to try to snag a Bunnies Ogling Carrots but I never take it too seriously.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

xavoc


quality posts: 15 Private Messages xavoc
McGurk wrote:Most "adults" I know wouldn't waste a beautiful Sunday



Let's see, it was rainy, and cold... Basically a PNW spring day. I spent my day indoors doing laundry, cleaning the garage, and periodically checking woot. Like an adult. Also, my greyhounds don't like being out in the cold and rain, even with their raincoats on so going outside with them for a long walk isn't what I or they wish to be doing.

I suppose I could have gone to the mall, but I try to avoid them. Bad place to be in case of zombie outbreak.

yrguide


quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
McGurk wrote:Most "adults" I know wouldn't waste a beautiful Sunday hunting a website in an effort to spend $8 on a cheap-crap grab-bag. Nor would they stick around for a day-long quest for obvious up-to-the-minute fake strike write-ups. I am sorry if you feel that woot! screwed you out of a fantastic day of intense web browsing for a story that never materialized and a $8 trip to the dollar store, plus a trip to the dumpster behind Radio Shack. Take a step back and look at what this is, and have a laugh like the rest of us are.

If you want an April Fools hoax, Google is always there for you. I think their 8-bit Google Maps was one of the finest things I've seen in that vein in a long time. They have the April Fools market cornered.

We don't have to discuss this anymore if you don't want to.



I'm sorry, who are you again? Who elected you the arbiter of how I or others should spend our weekends?

If you owned a store and had a surprise sale every year on a specific day for 6 years running and then on the 7th year a long line of people lined up would you a. tell them sorry we aren't having the surprise sale this year or b. let them stand out there in the rain until the day was over without acknowledging the expectation of your customers based on your own action from years past?

Online or B&M woot is still a store.

carl669


quality posts: 27 Private Messages carl669

just like everyone else, I was looking forward to the traditional April fool's Bunnies Ogling Carrots. what made it sweeter is that it would have been my 100th purchase and I would have joined the elusive black square/black triangle club.

that said, here's what i did instead:

1. check woot - no updates
2. take dog for a nice walk.
3. monitor dog while he tries to figure out what a duck is.
4. chase dog when he decides duck is a toy and goes after it.
5. check woot - no updates
6. make/eat pancakes and bacon - score!
7. check woot - update to blog. protest in fire lane. excellent sign.
8. take nap
9. check woot - no updates
10. take another nap
11. check woot - no updates
12. play with dog. learn dog is obsessed with wiffle ball.
13. watch tv
13.5 - check woot - no updates
14. wife makes dinner (and lets me stay on couch - double score!)
15. eat dinner
16. check woot while watching tv
17. go to sleep

Bunnies Ogling Carrots or not, it was a fine day.



Wife: Do you really need all this junk?
Me: At least I don't ask you if it makes me look fat.
--------------------------------------

theoneill555


quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

Now that the strike is over and done. You woot writers need to get busy and write another Adventure story - no bags required but a cool new monkey would be nice.

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

McGurk


quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk
yrguide wrote:...Online or B&M woot is still a store.



Well, if you are a typical woot! customer, and are not happy with the way they treated you on a well known national prank day, it doesn't really show because you are still here posting away. If you wanted a good story to read on Sunday, there are plenty of other resources on the web for that, and most libraries are open for a few hours if you still aren't happy with the quality. woot! will be the first to tell you their writers aren't necessarily Pulitzer grade, anyways. They have fun though, and they did here, too.

Believe me, I'm a simple nobody enjoying the mood around here. No one voted me as Weekend Actvity Executer, and you can ignore me. It's OK. I checked it for a few minutes every couple of hours throughout the day, but it never got in the way of my leisure.

If you PM me your address I'll send you a box of junk from my junk drawer and some stuff that my kids quit playing with. I don't have access to Texas air, though.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
carl669 wrote:
Bunnies Ogling Carrots or not, it was a fine day.



It really does sound like you had a nice day.

I'm just hanging out, really.

carl669


quality posts: 27 Private Messages carl669
inkycatz wrote:It really does sound like you had a nice day.



it was seriously one of the most relaxing days i've had in a long time. the best part of it was, everything i did, i consciously made the choice to do. there were no mandatory tasks. maybe it was a reverse April 1st?

"April fools! you have nothing to do!"



Wife: Do you really need all this junk?
Me: At least I don't ask you if it makes me look fat.
--------------------------------------

yrguide


quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
McGurk wrote:Well, if you are a typical woot! customer, and are not happy with the way they treated you on a well known national prank day, it doesn't really show because you are still here posting away.



I never said I was that upset, frankly beyond the loss of sleep I really don't care other than wasting my time chasing something that was never there. That was my whole point.

It honestly wasn't about the crap, it was really about unnecessarily wasting many people's time.

Anyway, since it's not about the crap I don't need you to send your crap but thanks for the offer.

Regardless, I still love woot...just disappointed that they wouldn't suggest that their most devoted minions get some much needed sleep is all when they knew what was up.

Have a good day...