radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I have not used one of these, but my "boss" at a newspaper uses one daily and feels he cannot live without it.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
doc362 wrote:
This review is slightly dated, but the points brought up aren't any weaker for it.

http://lawyerist.com/neatdesk-scanner-review/

Posted that link about 5 hours prior. ;)

A

curtise

quality posts: 23 Private Messages curtise

What's the story on TWAIN compatibility of the actual scanner hardware?

(TWAIN being the imaging standard that allows scanners to work with pretty much ANY scanning software you want to use - nothing to do with the American author and humourist, nor with the Canadian country singer)

-=C=-

michellerea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michellerea

Has anyone used this with photos?

halnwheels

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halnwheels

I'm just not getting the value here. Presumably you need a printer in your office so this is an additional piece of equipment. If you got a decent all in one with a duplexing ADF (automatice document feeder) you could get the functionality of this device plus flatbed scanning, faxing, and printing. What am I missing?

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome
prakashgupta wrote:Does it work with mac?

See the 4th comment on page one.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Scooter32401

This may have been useful a few years ago, but these days I just take a picture of the receipt/document with my phone and use an app to convert it to a .pdf and upload them to dropbox/box for safekeeping. This might not be a good method for large amounts of documents but it works great for small amounts.

rpm

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rpm
mschauber wrote:What software (and where) did you find online that works like the Neat software?

EDIT: Can this scan double sided documents, like 20 or 30 page double sided contracts, etc?

If you're a lawyer looking for a scanning solution, go Fujitsu. ScanSnap 1500 is very popular and comes with a full standard version of Adobe Acrobat (which every lawyer should have, though I'd recommend upgrading to Acrobat Professional). If you have heavy duty scanning to do, get one of the Fujitsu work group or departmental level scanners that have both ADF and flatbed (for printed books, etc.) capabilities. Acrobat's OCR is pretty good, but for world class OCR you need OmniPage Professional anyway.

I've had a scanner next to my desk since 1990 or so and find it invaluable. I also have, and sometimes use, a small portable battery powered wand-type scanner that works reasonably well in places where a full sized scanner or copier isn't available.

This looks overpriced for what it is to me, especially as it's refurbished. Spend a few bucks more and get a Fujitsu or even an HP scanner. (I still have a 10 year old HP backup scanner that would meet most people's needs perfectly well and plays well with Acrobat and OmniPage).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

turk11042

quality posts: 1 Private Messages turk11042

Got one of these last time it was on woot back in January(?), and am quite happy with it. Does everything I need it to do, has archived about three past years of records and is keeping up with new files as I add them.

The software is adequate, albeit a little slow; but all in all very happy with this little unit.

rpm

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rpm
halnwheels wrote:I'm just not getting the value here. Presumably you need a printer in your office so this is an additional piece of equipment. If you got a decent all in one with a duplexing ADF (automatice document feeder) you could get the functionality of this device plus flatbed scanning, faxing, and printing. What am I missing?

It depends on your needs. Most all-in-ones (and I have one which is mostly used as a fax) don't do any of their functions as well as a dedicated device - unless you spend real money: the HP I was looking at that seems to be well reviewed and works as well as my current scanner and printer, with fax capability, is about $3,000. If you do only casual scanning, an inexpensive all-in-one will suit you just fine. Once you start scanning documents of any significant length on a regular basis, you need a better and faster scanner. Scanning tends to be one of the weaker functions of most all-in-ones.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MNBeta03

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MNBeta03

CNET users reviews not so good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/scanners/neat-company-neatdesk-scanner/4505-3136_7-33408578.html

billyush

quality posts: 3 Private Messages billyush

NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System- ...
$379.99 - Amazon.com

NeatDesk Desktop Scanner And Digital Filing System
$379.99 - Office Depot

$399.99 at many other online retailers

$399.95 at NEAT.com

I have had (3) of the portable units. The first one was given to me by mobile promotions job---after about 3 years of abuse, it stopped functioning...my new mobile promotions job at the time then purchased (2) portable units (one for me and one for them). I purchased them with my company credit card over the phone with NEAT. I purchased those 2 units refurbished from them at $100 discount on each. So, the portable units (refurb) from NEAT were $99 each. I "assume" they will offer the same deal (maybe better) ordering refurbished from them---so, at most, a refurbished unit directly from NEAT should be $299.99 (maybe less). Worth a call???

I am quite happy overall with the portable units. Some minor software issues at times and I did have the one portable scanner go bad (customer support worked extensively with me on the issues when it occured---I even allowed them to remotely access my laptop at the time in attempts to get it functioning again).

timholl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages timholl
rpm wrote:It depends on your needs. Most all-in-ones (and I have one which is mostly used as a fax) don't do any of their functions as well as a dedicated device - unless you spend real money: the HP I was looking at that seems to be well reviewed and works as well as my current scanner and printer, with fax capability, is about $3,000. If you do only casual scanning, an inexpensive all-in-one will suit you just fine. Once you start scanning documents of any significant length on a regular basis, you need a better and faster scanner. Scanning tends to be one of the weaker functions of most all-in-ones.

Agreed. I have this (paid more for a refurb from Neat as it wasn't coming up on Woot at the time). I will list the differences.
Speed - this is WAY faster than a flat bed even for a single side - and it does 2 sides at once.
pdf scanning - built in, no need to pay a fortune for Acrobat that scans to pdf or get the draconian software management of pdf Converter Professional (and still pay $100)
Neat Software:-
Receipt recognition fills in most of the database field for receipts pretty well - still needs checking and some editing, but a huge time saver compared with manual entry.
Business Card Filing - same comments as for receipts
Other Document Filing - not as automatic as this covers a wide range of data formats, but still way faster than using a flatbed.

bradbenedictus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradbenedictus

I looked at this and ended up going with the much better reviewed Fujitsu Snap Scan. Some people have been asking why these type of products are so expensive in comparison to a standard scanner, well the Fujitsu is a full duplex (double sided) scanner in one pass. The Fujitsu also scans items into PDFs that are searchable and allows you to store web pages as PDF as well with the software included. The downside is that it is not a TWAIN device and therefore I have to use my multifunction to scan in checks to my online bank.

Although I cannot speak to THIS product, the idea of these are great. I have reduced the amount of papers on hand, reduced search time for finding items, and increased organization. I scan receipts directly into a folder that I named Taxes 2012 etc. The idea behind these also works because it allows you to keep records of things you may want to keep but may not otherwise be willing to store.

gak0090

quality posts: 83 Private Messages gak0090

This scanner has a limited audience and really is not worthy of a woot. Most people can get the functionality they need out of a common less than $100 scanner. I use my android phone using the app camcard (I'm sure Iphone probably has a similar app), it will take picture of the business card, using OCR it parses out the information to put in the appropriate fields then adds it to your address book and also retains the original image of the card. The unique things that this can do (that cheaper scanners and/or smart phones can't), like taking 2-sided scans of a 30 page document, is something that most people don't have a need for. This is at least the second time I've seen this on woot- I'm not impressed, in addition the pricing isn't that great either.

knitfriendly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knitfriendly

Does this work with Evernote?

bpetersen7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpetersen7

I have one, and it works well; the best part is the recognition software. What I do not like about it is that the database behind it will not work on a network, so it only works on a dedicated PC. Even if you back up that PC, the data just appears as a data blob, and if you lose your data, the only way to get it back is to restore the entire PC.

maelma

quality posts: 2 Private Messages maelma

I purchased this item last year when it was offered here on Woot. Out of the box, it didn't work. Turned out to be a bad power cord. Once that was resolved, I discovered the scanner itself didn't work--actually, it worked great for 3 document scans then quit. It took about 6 weeks of haggling with Neat customer support (try this, now that, then do this)and one VERY firm letter from me for them to finally send me a replacement unit.

Now, I am happy to report, it works perfectly every time! I can scan receipts, business cards and multiple, double-sided documents without any problems. And I use it for everything. It's a lot faster than my all-in-one printer/scanner/copier (the scanner on my all-in-one doesn't have a sheet feeder, so a 10 page, 2-sided document takes forever to scan!). I even throw hand written notes I want to keep into it.

The text recognition part of the software is kinda sketchy at times. It nails business cards every time. Sometimes it gets a receipt's information correct. It never gets a document's info right, though. But, in defense, most documents aren't standardized. I did notice, however, that it does seem to learn as it goes along. One of the first things I did was scan in 20 years worth of tax returns, so I could dump all the hard copies. After about 6 or so, it stared to pick up what I needed--mostly. That being said, it is very easy to add the missing information in the text boxes. The format is simple and clean looking. And you can set up multiple folders and sub-folders to scan things to.

Very happy I purchased mine and I recommend it--even if you do end up haggling with customer service! Thinking about buying another one for my mom!

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh
bpetersen7 wrote:I have one, and it works well; the best part is the recognition software. What I do not like about it is that the database behind it will not work on a network, so it only works on a dedicated PC. Even if you back up that PC, the data just appears as a data blob, and if you lose your data, the only way to get it back is to restore the entire PC.

Even if you put the datafile on a NAS and app it to a drive letter?
I have yet to do this, but I'll try it later.

truthbtold1331

quality posts: 1 Private Messages truthbtold1331

For real it works well. Not the best but not the worst.

Tc-99m

truthbtold1331

quality posts: 1 Private Messages truthbtold1331

Will it scan the beautiful sheen and shine of glitter?

Tc-99m

emanm3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emanm3

Does anyone know if this thing will scan full color, two-sided magazine pages without bleed through? Thanks!

rmt0512

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rmt0512

I've used this at my old job. It makes scanning much easier and faster. It comes in handy when scanning thousands of documents.

trierog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trierog

I love this scanner. It works very good for most receipts and is great for standard letter size documents. I regularly scan 20-30 page documents (both sides) in less than 1 minute (the capture software can take a few minutes to complete the image capture).
One of the best Woot buys I have ever made.

maelma

quality posts: 2 Private Messages maelma
emanm3 wrote:Does anyone know if this thing will scan full color, two-sided magazine pages without bleed through? Thanks!

Works beautifully!

emanm3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emanm3
maelma wrote:Works beautifully!

Hey, thanks, maelma!

jandrese

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jandrese

According to a review on Newegg, the TWAIN support "works very poorly".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838275006&RandomID=561679625514512420120402065632

Just perusing around the web, it seems that NeatDesk scanners vary from "no TWAIN support at all" to "TWAIN support barely works at all". Apparently if you aren't using their bundled software then the company has no interest in supporting you.

trierog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trierog
doc362 wrote:This got me to thinking about preserving my vital documents, but after a little digging I think I might give the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 the job instead of the NeatDesk.

This review is slightly dated, but the points brought up aren't any weaker for it.

I like the idea of the included Acrobat license with the Fujitsu over fumbling with inferior proprietary software that is destined to destroy files the second I shred them or become obsolete over the course of various service packs and OS releases as I've seen happen to so many other products which are now e-waste.

I have used this software for over 3 years without any problems. No lost receipts or compatabilty issues with upgrades. I save the database on a portable hard drive, so transfering to a new machine was a snap.

kenmaze

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenmaze
doc362 wrote:This got me to thinking about preserving my vital documents, but after a little digging I think I might give the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 the job instead of the NeatDesk.

I like the idea of the included Acrobat license with the Fujitsu over fumbling with inferior proprietary software that is destined to destroy files the second I shred them or become obsolete over the course of various service packs and OS releases as I've seen happen to so many other products which are now e-waste.

I have fixed this problem by keeping the Neat 4.0 software and scanning everything to files instead of to Neat's database. You can make your own filing system that way, and everything is in PDF.

The OCR is great in this. I have scanned in handouts from meetings, and dsitributed to others as searchable PDFs. Works great!

kenmaze

micahbradshaw wrote:I teach in a school with very crowded classrooms. I've always wondered if this machine could be used to quickly scan student work and categorize it by class or student name on my computer. Saving on the mess of hundreds of papers to take home, and allowing students to keep their notes and work. Could it be used for such a purpose or is it more for receipts and whatnot?

It would probably work for that. The only bummer with it would be that, assuming your students' homework is handwritten, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the OCR capabilities, and that is the best part of their software.

squarooticus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages squarooticus

I got one in a previous Woot! It kicks ass. The only thing that doesn't work well is the output tray: if you feed multi-page trifold documents into it, they'll catch on each other, eventually pushing the pile off the desk into an unordered mess on the floor. I fixed this by keeping the tray closed, elevating the scanner slightly, and putting a smooth legal-size output tray in front of the scanner: the pages now output into a nice stack.

kenmaze

garyhgaryh wrote:Even if you put the datafile on a NAS and app it to a drive letter?
I have yet to do this, but I'll try it later.

Supposedly no. My experience with Neat is eveerything they say their scanner's *won't* do it quite reliable. For example - they say it won't work through a USB hub. I tried it anyway, and sure enough, it didn't.

tmb931

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tmb931

As someone who works with commercial OCR software professionally, I would not recommend this product at all. While it may be fine for smaller things, it is not suited to use in any business.

As far as I can tell they use their own recognition software. Most commercial OCR software like Kofax and Datacap license the recognition engines from the industry leaders. This is important because the results you get from these different recog engines vary and its important to use an engine that will work well.

hayeswildrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hayeswildrick

Will this export to Expensify?

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
bpetersen7 wrote:I have one, and it works well; the best part is the recognition software. What I do not like about it is that the database behind it will not work on a network, so it only works on a dedicated PC. Even if you back up that PC, the data just appears as a data blob, and if you lose your data, the only way to get it back is to restore the entire PC.

Unless your smart and you back up the database on that PC to an external hard drive.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

This may be the answer to preventing the scanning of butts at the office christmas party.

strummer00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages strummer00
PabloPalmeri6837 wrote:review of the neatdesk desktop scanner something to know

First off this scanner can Upload Countless documents quickly. also it may help to Know that While some scanners Often malfunction, this scanner is not like the Others.

Thanks.

What's your beef with Woot?

compton310compton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages compton310compton

My dad purchased this item a while ago and about two days ago he was saying how the price never goes down from $400. Can't wait until he comes home so I can show him, But he loves it! it's so neat.

typolad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages typolad

We actually wrote this up at the blog I work at. The reviewer was happy with it.

http://techcitement.com/hardware/techcitement-review-neatdesk-desktop-scanner-digital-filing-system-cleaner-home/

jmoye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmoye

Will this scanner work on a network?

El Paso Dog