radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
michellerea wrote:Has anyone used this with photos?

This is not a high quality photo scanner. it is a "get all the memos and receipts off my desk" scanner." Get a nice cheap Canon LED flatbed for photos.

And if you were hoping for a device that would let you feed a whole bunch of photos in so you could archive them, keep hoping. No such beast exists.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

bradbenedictus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradbenedictus

Well I hope I am not alone in having several documents that are this big. I have my taxes and attachments, complex documents such as my mortgage, appraisals, stacks of documents that I can now scan in one fell swoop of a button etc.

gak0090 wrote: The unique things that this can do (that cheaper scanners and/or smart phones can't), like taking 2-sided scans of a 30 page document, is something that most people don't have a need for. This is at least the second time I've seen this on woot- I'm not impressed, in addition the pricing isn't that great either.

barryjparker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barryjparker

They don't allow you to search on comments entered for a receipt. Poor interface.

wlgiv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wlgiv
mschauber wrote:What software (and where) did you find online that works like the Neat software?

EDIT: Can this scan double sided documents, like 20 or 30 page double sided contracts, etc?

The attorneys at our firm are using Canon P-150 portable scanners. They is powered via USB if no outlet is available for a power adapter. They do dual sided scanning and can scan to multiple file formats.

Today's Woot is a great item if you don't need portability. We did use one of these (NeatDesk) units for reciepts and if worked great. We've switched to a different solution but NeatDesk is a great unit.

dadmicfly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dadmicfly

The advantage of this scanner id the feeder that allows you to scan mutiple pages, where a flat bed is one sheet at a time.

IRJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IRJ

I am looking for a good quality scanner which can automatically make digital files from my MASSIVE sets of documents.

I have documents with 100 and 200 double sided pages. Would this work and set up files?
Thanks.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
dadmicfly wrote:The advantage of this scanner id the feeder that allows you to scan mutiple pages, where a flat bed is one sheet at a time.

But all-in-one, like the HP brand, it has a document feeder. If you need to scan both sides, place the sheets through the feeders twice, one right side up and once right side down.
Then match up the files on the computer.
I'm sure there is software that lets you scan on both sides without having to rename and organize all the files. Probably it is software that comes with new all-in-ones these days.

SpkrBox850

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SpkrBox850

Whats the difference between the Mac and the Windows version?
Are they cross compatible?

I run a Mac and a Windows machine so incompatibility would definitely be a deal breaker.

Also, is there any known Linux support?

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

Why so expensive? I already have a scanner, seems like old tech.

brad402494

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brad402494

I got the smaller NEATO scanner on woot probably 3 years ago and it's still kicking strong. Awesome product

plrikard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plrikard

The review on lawyerist is almost 3 years old. Most complaints made were about the software which has long since been replaced.

dangbat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dangbat

Can someone help answer these questions, please?

How many of you all that purchased this refurbished neat desk scanner got the warranty? Think that is the way to go? Does the product have a warranty already?

Thanks.

ca10452

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ca10452

Bought two of these from Woot in January. One has stopped working completely. Customer service is not great. Unfortunate. It was great while it worked though.

davidmcdougall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davidmcdougall

Does anyone know if you can specify the database location?
Since my NAS box is mirrored raid it would be nice if I could use that. Might be a little slower than direct attached or internal storage but would provide a little more peace of mind.

If it's not Scottish it's crap

zoan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zoan
AerodexdotCom wrote:Interesting reviews and user comments on NeatDesk vs competing products.

Check it out:
http://lawyerist.com/neatdesk-scanner-review

The "competing products" are the Fujitsu SnapScan S1500. Which, coincidentally, is the product I bought after passing on a previous Woot of this model. If you're uneasy about buying the NeatDesk, spring for the SnapScan. It rocks. You won't be disappointed.

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362
AerodexdotCom wrote:Posted that link about 5 hours prior. ;)

Indeed.. congrats!

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362
trierog wrote:I have used this software for over 3 years without any problems. No lost receipts or compatabilty issues with upgrades. I save the database on a portable hard drive, so transfering to a new machine was a snap.

Good to know. Some of the reviews mention a much less fortunate result, but that could easily be user error.

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise
jandrese wrote:According to a review on Newegg, the TWAIN support "works very poorly".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16838275006&RandomID=561679625514512420120402065632

Just perusing around the web, it seems that NeatDesk scanners vary from "no TWAIN support at all" to "TWAIN support barely works at all". Apparently if you aren't using their bundled software then the company has no interest in supporting you.

Thanks Jandrese,

I guess this isn't the product for me.

-=C=-

nrg2go

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nrg2go

For those considering this item, if you haven't been to the company website yet, you owe it to yourself to visit it. They have nice videos showing the scanner in action and tutorials on using the software.

http://www.neat.com/support/video-tutorials-and-user-guides

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I bought the last one woot sold. The Mac software wasn't included, and the bastards wanted a bunch more money to sell it to me. Anyone want to buy a windoze only silly thing for hanging on to every scrap of junk you ever collected?

I may be bitter over this waste of a hundred plus bucks. ;-P

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Really just came to play the game. But it seems to be off. :-/

I predict a Dyson.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

Thought I was on shirt woot!

topshelf63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topshelf63
SpkrBox850 wrote:Whats the difference between the Mac and the Windows version?
Are they cross compatible?

I run a Mac and a Windows machine so incompatibility would definitely be a deal breaker.

Also, is there any known Linux support?

The mac version costs more and does less

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 542 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ckeilah wrote:Really just came to play the game. But it seems to be off. :-/

I predict a Dyson.

Yes, Woot! Clue! is on hiatus until further notice as we evaluate what worked and what didn't. Stay tuned.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garyhgaryh
danwat1234 wrote:But all-in-one, like the HP brand, it has a document feeder. If you need to scan both sides, place the sheets through the feeders twice, one right side up and once right side down.
Then match up the files on the computer.
I'm sure there is software that lets you scan on both sides without having to rename and organize all the files. Probably it is software that comes with new all-in-ones these days.

With the neat desktop scanner, there is no need to flip the pages. This scanner will scan BOTH sides in one pass. It has image sensors on BOTH sides.
Gary

brownhub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brownhub

I can use this for work!

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik

Just reporting in. Received the package from UPS today. Looks like it came right from Neat themselves. Will post a short follow-up my thoughts of the scanner once I get a chance to try it out.

edcandiano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edcandiano

Purchased the neatdesk scanner. HATE IT. Am looking for a way to return it. Was difficult to install. Took forever to calibrate the scanner that clearly stated it was calibrated right from the factory and will be ready to use right out of the box. Downloaded the software; followed all the directions. That was THREE HOURS ago and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO SCAN ANYTHING! Without paper in it it registers a paper jam; that continues to happen. Help me to get my money back or at the very least to be able to scan anything!!

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

edcandiano wrote:Purchased the neatdesk scanner. HATE IT. Am looking for a way to return it. Was difficult to install. Took forever to calibrate the scanner that clearly stated it was calibrated right from the factory and will be ready to use right out of the box. Downloaded the software; followed all the directions. That was THREE HOURS ago and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO SCAN ANYTHING! Without paper in it it registers a paper jam; that continues to happen. Help me to get my money back or at the very least to be able to scan anything!!

Yikes, sorry about that. This is just a suggestion, but have you tried contacting NeatDesk for troubleshooting?

driland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages driland

Purchased 2 for Mac as gifts. Both came with NO Software, NO Quick Start Guide and NO Calibration Paper. I emailed WOOT and they suggest I download the software. WELL WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER STUFF??? Still waiting on a response. Very disappointed. Buyer beware if ordering the MAC Version.

dr

carpenterty

quality posts: 4 Private Messages carpenterty

So far can not scan, installed software on brand spanking new Gateway Sx first software to be installed on it and can't scan anything. PDF software gives me ERROR 1335 corrupt file or bad disk. This is on Win7 premium.Not looking good so far going to spend a little more time with it before I throw in the towel.

Ok I was able to install Neat desk software and am able to scan however I am still unable to install Nuance PDF software on Win7 still giving me error 1335.

Bandrik

quality posts: 71 Private Messages Bandrik
Bandrik wrote:Just reporting in. Received the package from UPS today. Looks like it came right from Neat themselves. Will post a short follow-up my thoughts of the scanner once I get a chance to try it out.

Okay, I've since been able to set up the Neat scanner, and have been using it for a couple of weeks now.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I already had the mobile scanner version of it, and I also have the acclaimed Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500. I will be using all three. It may seem redundant, but they each have their own strengths, and I'm more than willing to drop the money if it helps to keep me organized and de-cluttered. And so far, it does help.

Pro-tip: it appears that you can download the newest version of Neat (version 5) for FREE on their website. Just say that you were a previous user of Neat, and they take you through a couple of screens and give you a download link and a software key. Easy peasy. So if you lost your disc or didn't get one, use this.

I did have one issue, at first. When I set up my Neat database "filing cabinet", I put it on my secondary hard drive. After I spent 4 hours scanning a box of receipts, I closed the program and re-opened it later. It said that my database was corrupt and no longer able to open. What Tiny Flowers?!

Well, it looks like it "forgot" where I had put the database and looked to its default location. When it didn't find it, it freaked out and said it was "corrupt". Yet the database was just fine. So, I simply moved the entire database from my original location to where Neat defaults to and it worked fine. Not an issue since. Strange, but I'll live with it.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Thanks, Woot!