jimjenkins5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimjenkins5

It's not the crying ones that bother me. It's the ones that kick the back of the chair. The parents of those children should be thrown off the plane...in mid flight.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

An occasional crying child on an airplane isn't a problem. Its the ones who cry from the moment they get taken on the plane until they get taken off. Those parents are the same ones who's babies cry all evening in the restaurant or at the movies. They have this entitlement idea that it's all right for them to have a crying child because otherwise they would have to stay at home.
Sorry, I raised 4 kids to adulthood. If the child cries, there is no reason to make other people endure the imposition. We didn't go out much for a few years, until the children grew out of that stage.
Come on people, be considerate of your fellow man. Flying is bad enough with the TSA, small seats, cramped aisles, cattle roundup boarding. We shouldn't have to endure your child as well. Drive next time, so only you suffer, or better yet, stay home.

sparrowflies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparrowflies

my response all depends on what the MILF looks like. Hot = I can deal with it, Not = get that kid a tranquilizer

arkansized

quality posts: 10 Private Messages arkansized

Solution: get your own plane. I did. Haven't flown commercial since we went overseas in '96.

Srsly, some parents just let their precious snowflakes cry hoping it will pass. My grandkids were allowed to bawl until the point of rage. This is wrong.

Those parents coping with children who are hurting because of altitude barotitis (stopped up ears) are another story. See comment above that recommends sucking on a bottle or pacifier while ascending or descending.

Better idea altogether: do not fly with children who are too young to perform Valsalva maneuver on themselves.

Pottsville, Arkansas. Conveniently located on I-40 halfway between New York and Los Angeles.

deener0791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deener0791

With the right pair of headphones, you won't notice crying babies...just sayin.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I chose "other" b/c I don't fly. I have yet to go anywhere that would require a flight to get there (in other words, overseas).

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

It's a market opportunity. You know those Wet-Naps that moms are always wiping shmutz off their kid's faces with? Make some that are soaked with chloroform. Call 'em "Kid-Naps". I tell ya, this could be big!

Rtrblade

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rtrblade

When they start crying or acting up they should be relocated to the cockpit or seated by the flight attendants. I am sure the crew would do something about it at that point.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
deener0791 wrote:With the right pair of headphones, you won't notice crying babies...just sayin.

Oh heeeeeey I see what you did there.

I'm just hanging out, really.

deforest22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deforest22

they should sit in the front - aimed forward less people would be affected.

davejay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davejay

Couldn't airlines build a special section out on the wing... not so much for the kids but for the parents who don't even *try* to shush their wee ones - the ones with that sense of "entitlement" that others have mentioned.

It would be a win/win for the airlines because they'd have happier passengers and at the same time free up a few seats, AND they'd save on maintenance costs because the special section on the wing would serve as a deterrent to William fertilizer's (okay then, Captain Kirk's) Gremlin friend, should he come back to tear up the wing again. ;-)

imposibl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imposibl

Usually children are having anxiety when they are on an airplane, a feeling they don't cope well with. They really don't bother me unless they are wailing for over 10 minutes and are within 10 ft of me. But....what if the flight attendants were able to offer Benadryl to parents with small children? I know as a parent, I don't even like it when my kids were screaming, and if I could sooth them, I would!

How about the parents that let their kids kick and hang off the back of your seat? How about the airlines fine these irresponsible parents and use the money to lower fares?

ChrisUFO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChrisUFO

Edit: My boyfriend (Chrisufo) was logged in and I didn't notice. Posted to the wrong account :x

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I don't fly all that often, and to be honest, I'm not really sure if there were any crying babies/annoying children on the flight. I am afraid of flying was too focused on every movement of the plane to notice anything else. I was always just happy to make it to my destination alive.

^Just recently accidentally posted this on my boyfriends account. Decided to repost under mine so he didn't look like a sissy.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

nsweet3ozz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nsweet3ozz

It all depends on why they are crying. Pain in the ears is the most obvious. I have traveled with my 2 boys about once a year for a few years now. My 11 year old is special needs, and when he gets really excited, he tends to kick the seat and I wind up holding his legs down in india style fashion to prevent this. (He loves to fly and loves airplanes!) My 3 year old has been a pretty good flyer/traveler so far. But as a baby, he did cry about half the trip, but I was able to manage to calm him usually by feeding him. As a toddler, he is like his brother and gets excited, but quickly falls asleep after take off. (Yay for me!) I know I am bit more lucky with my boys when traveling that they are easily entertained.
When it comes to Benadryl, you are not supposed to give it to a child under 4 yrs old. Some pediatricians are ok with small doses very infrequently, but it tells you right on the bottle not to give to child under 4.

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

o'RLY?

"They and their parents should have to sit in the back."

Sounds and aweful lot like discrimination to me. If you don't like it, drive.

jdsanner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdsanner

There is a major diff between a kid who is misbehaving and one who's ears are hurting due to changes in cabin pressure. Best thing to fix the second issue is to breastfeed them...but doing that on a plane might be another discussion. Parents are usually happy to be in the back of the plane...but it is more bumpy (for kids that get upset tummies) and if you board first and last you are on the plane an extra hour per flight, which can make anyone get restless.

wateriestfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wateriestfire

all those tadpoles who are like "you don't know what it's like, so deal with it" need to think to themselves, whose fault is it for such a nightmarish scenario? I didn't choose to have a kid, you did. it's YOUR problem. I don't give a damn how hard it is having a kid, and you know why? because I don't have one and I'm a million times happier than you. Stop blaming me for your mistakes.

I say ban them all. Though I will settle for keeping them with the pets and other animals/storage

ayemossum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ayemossum
bpeterson82 wrote:o'RLY?

"They and their parents should have to sit in the back."

Sounds and aweful lot like discrimination to me. If you don't like it, drive.

Not all discrimination is wrong. I've got 2 kids (which would likely be an irritant to other passengers). I'd sit in the back with them to save the other passengers.

And by the way, if you bring an irritant onto an airplane YOU should have to do your part to mitigate that, including sitting in the back or, if you KNOW it's going to be a major unfixable problem for several hours' flight, find another way. If you don't like it, YOU drive.

razza4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razza4

Never had a flight with a brat, only a baby that was inconsolable. Parents don't want their child to be "that" baby. It's usually not their fault; kids have their own minds and feelings. It's not pleasant for anyone, but it's not controllable.

ayemossum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ayemossum
razza4 wrote:Never had a flight with a brat, only a baby that was inconsolable. Parents don't want their child to be "that" baby. It's usually not their fault; kids have their own minds and feelings. It's not pleasant for anyone, but it's not controllable.

Agreed. Though it would be more pleasant for everyone if the parents with crying children sit in the back. Less people around them to be irritated, and less irritated people giving you dirty looks. I'd take my kids to the back if they were inconsolable or otherwise a nuisance. Of course, that probably means I'm not part of the problem (you know, the "deal with it" crowd)

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14
wateriestfire wrote:all those tadpoles who are like "you don't know what it's like, so deal with it" need to think to themselves, whose fault is it for such a nightmarish scenario? I didn't choose to have a kid, you did. it's YOUR problem. I don't give a damn how hard it is having a kid, and you know why? because I don't have one and I'm a million times happier than you. Stop blaming me for your mistakes.

I say ban them all. Though I will settle for keeping them with the pets and other animals/storage

My favorite part of your arrogant, self-righteous post is where you declare that you are a MILLION times happier than me. I can't do some of the same things I used to enjoy before my son was born, like play violent video games and watch Pulp Fiction, very often, but I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my son. Raising a child is an amazing thing, and, in my opinion, a quintessential life experience. It's certainly your choice whether or not you have one, but you can't expect everyone to live like you do.

One of the great things that being a parent teaches you is how to put yourself in the shoes of others. To see the world through your child's eyes, to see what it's like to be a parent, to understand that everyone has got their own issues and life situation that impact them on a daily basis. You realize that it's not all about you, and in most ways, it's not EVER about you. It's a powerful life lesson, one that I think is worth learning.

bahbahq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bahbahq

Are there child sized parachutes?

andihansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andihansen

Kids cry when bored, restrained for too long, bored, uncomfortable, bored, frustrated, bored ....... parents should plan ahead and bring enough to keep junior busy or at least give it a good try. Been on both sides.

sweetaddietude

corydac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages corydac
gertiestn wrote:What are "airplanes"?

hahahaahahaahhahahhahahhhhahaha

hedosean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hedosean

As father of 8 who has traveled with as many as 6 and doped as many as 6 to keep em quiet and asleep (benadryl) on a flight at once, I can say to those with a problem with kids get over yer selves. Number seven doesn't get doped. it has the opposite affect on him. he becomes a raving lunatic at the age of three when giving anything that is supposed to have a sedative effect.

On I flight back from New Orleans I got seated next to a 6'4" 400 lb white guy who I don't think bathed the entire time he was in the French Quarter (or brushed his teeth for that matter). I have had seat kickers, "no titty" screamers, and aisle runners and the three combined don't compare to the stench rolling off of this "ADULT!" They ended up moving my wife to the only remaining seat on the plain so she would stop gagging and then they could move a seat between he and I. The rest of us go to continue gagging the rest of the flight.

I say if you don't like children to that extreme , perhaps it is you and your antisocial tendencies that should drive....alone. no need to be irritated by the kiddies then.

We travel alot. We've never had an issue of any sort (other than the bad reaction to benadryl), and it was handled well by all.

Dec 2011 cvg to SLC 7 kids
June/July 2011 CVG to SLC 6 kids
June 2008 CVG to MBJ 5 kids
August 2007 CVG to JFK 5 kids
Octtober 2007 CVG to ORL 5 kids
December 2006 CVG to CZM 5 kids
October 2004 CVG to ORL 4 kids
June 2003 CVG to SDG 4 kids
Dec 2001 cvg to CZM 4 kids

basilbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basilbob

If God had meant us to fly he would have given us wings!

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew
wateriestfire wrote:all those tadpoles who are like "you don't know what it's like, so deal with it" need to think to themselves, whose fault is it for such a nightmarish scenario? I didn't choose to have a kid, you did. it's YOUR problem. I don't give a damn how hard it is having a kid, and you know why? because I don't have one and I'm a million times happier than you. Stop blaming me for your mistakes.

That feeling you're experiencing a million times more powerfully than I am, I'm not sure you have its name correct.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

Legally, infants and toddlers are not allowed on airplanes, as they contain more than three ounces of goo. I'm waiting for the TSA to catch up with this.

Tythiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tythiss

Jettison.

Can you feel it?

alisonstorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alisonstorm
ccfinney wrote:I have kids and I waited until they were old enough to understand and somewhat entertain themselves, age 3 and 4, to fly with them. I did not want to be glared at! Parents are the problem IMHO. Kids kicking the backs of seats are the worst. Then there was the couple who spent ten minutes changing their kid on the drop down trays behind our seats. The constant movement of the kid on the trays was annoying - not to mention - PEOPLE EAT ON THOSE TABLES!!!

My recently flew on a 4.5 hr flight with a 9 month old and I was 4 months pregnant on a plane with no changing table - sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do!

joselyn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joselyn

I like crying children. They reinforce my decision not to have children. They remind me that if I were to have any of my own I would not be able to just ignore them during the flight/meal/shopping trip, and wouldn't be able to just walk away from them afterwards.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

I don't really mind crying kids, but have issues with the ones that kick the chairs, throw stuff, etc. and the parents do absolutely nothing to stop it. There are several occasions where I've come close to committing federal crimes because of uncontrolled kids.

dicepearl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dicepearl

I just wish they had a separate compartment.

randx4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randx4

Children should be checked like luggage

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

The tolerant person finds intolerance the hardest thing to tolerate.

Signature censored by Woot

HanovereFist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HanovereFist

Place all the crying babies in a soundproof room and pump out the air until they stop crying.

zoinks6022

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoinks6022

You know the fat guy that gets the middle seat, sweats like a linebacker and smells like he sprinkled a little too much garlic on his Wheaties for breakfast? Yeah, the one that wants to talk about the 7-Eleven manager's conference he's speaking at. That's him. He bugs me waaaaaaaay more than a decibel-belching little rugrat.

achen06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages achen06

I think it all boils down to how hard parents try to be courteous.

Parents trying to soothe their crying babies get my sympathy. Parents who let their kids cry it out don't. Unlike a grocery store or a subway, we really can't get off the plane to avoid your crying baby, so I really appreciate it when you care enough about your neighbors to at least try. Discouraging people who dislike the sound of kids crying, or bratty kids, from flying will just lead to airlines making it harder for kids to fly. Think about where airlines get the most revenue.

Once the kid is over 4 years old, all sympathy dies. I started making 13+ hour flights (counting connections, I would often be in airports and on planes for over 24 hours) exactly at that age. I know exactly how painful it is to be a kid and want to move around but have to sit still and entertain myself (and this was before every chair had a personal T.V.). But, thanks to my parents teaching me respect and discipline, my only real faults as a kid were my hourly trips to the restroom and talking a bit too much. Once a kid can talk, it's the parent's responsibility to keep them entertained or teach them to respect other people's right to sleep and relax. And I want to say, thanks to all those amazing parents out there who succeed and kudos for raising such polite and considerate kids!

jn47697

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jn47697

Helloooo, can you say single malt and an Ipod.