Staff

Poll: You get most of your books...
  • 21.1% - From a brick-and-mortar bookstore. 307
  • 32.4% - From an online store that sells physical books. 472
  • 22.7% - From an online store that sells eBooks. 330
  • 18% - From a library. 262
  • 5.8% - From some other source I will specify in the comments. 85
1456 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ViperGuy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ViperGuy

i dont buy books

Barrel of Cropsless since 2005
Like music and Woot! join the group and check out the crappy music I listen to.

tsperik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tsperik

What's a book?

MacPhyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MacPhyle

I don't by paper books anymore, but I still have a roomful of those. I go for ebooks on Google Play or Amazon, and I have an Audible membership, so I get audiobooks.

jmp8910

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jmp8910

I buy mostly e-books. But you can now rent e-books from your local library which is awesome.. Some books I will buy the actual book (especially if i don't know if I will like it so I can sell it to someone else).

I used to hate reading but its a lot more fun now.

nellb123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nellb123

I get my books from the Goodwill Store.

nell-on-wheels

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

Used bookstore mostly.

hairofthedog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hairofthedog

How about from used book stores?

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

I check half of my books out from the local library system. The other half I started out buying them from Goodwill and the library and after I'm done reading them I swap them for other books on Swap.com paying only the price of postage.

Harui

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Harui

A little bit of all of them, actually! XD

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas

How about PaperbackSwap?

(disclosure: yes, if you sign up over there, I get brownie points with them)

Or garage sales?

However, I think it's a four-way tie between the library, Amazon, B&N brick & mortar, and Half Price Books.

azura89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azura89

I get my books in many ways,but i prefer buying online.Very convenient.

digitalsplit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages digitalsplit

...from behind the counter at the 7-Eleven. Other than that, most of the reading I do pertains to online news. I have an Audible membership - which requires a minimal amount of perusal to then have another adult read to you. Although, it makes you feel rather important if you think about it. That's one vantage point anyway.

BensonM

quality posts: 18 Private Messages BensonM

From an online source that gives away ebooks.

Project Gutenberg for old stuff, the usual channels for newer stuff.

wooters.us FTW!

Big Ogre Cudgels!
2009 Nov 19
2009 May 15

kmf600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmf600

from anywhere but amazon

looseneck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages looseneck

Far Hills Rummage sale. Twice a year I buy a bag of books for $10

doxeelady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doxeelady

Recycle and re-use is the way of the future.
I swap books with family and friends and pick them up at charity thrift stores or sales. When I must have a specific new book I usually head over to my fave on line book store,,,,Amazon.

andihansen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andihansen

mostly the used book store but also garage sales, thrift store, flea market, friends, ebay ~ no ebooks for me.

sweetaddietude

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

Not sure what this would fall under but I get mine from websites that just give you the txt file.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

EHRMERGERD BERKS!

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

indyphantom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indyphantom

Sam's Club, Walmart and any other place that sells at a discount.

jaredelouis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaredelouis

Its almost like Amazon owns woot! and is trying to get some information...

AWildWeed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AWildWeed

Our local library has a book sale 2x a year - on the last day of the sale, a bag of books is $5! So I stock up then - heck, I could open my own used book store with all the books I own! I also started a "lending library" at work - several people bring in their books, I bring in mine (once I've read them) and we share. I rarely buy a new book, and altho I have a Kindle, I basically only use it when I'm around the family members who gave it to me. :-) Paper books may be on their way out, but in my home they will always reign supreme!

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I don't buy books, either. Either I borrow them from the library - paper or eBook, or get them in eBook form from one of the free sites.

Doktorrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Doktorrick

from yard sales.

spiderfarts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spiderfarts

I steal them from bibliophiles.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

nellb123 wrote:I get my books from the Goodwill Store.

I noticed on vacation, that lots of people were using the thrift store like a library. Pay under a dollar for a book, read it, donate it back.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

indyphantom wrote:Sam's Club, Walmart and any other place that sells at a discount.

Costco.

I thought I was going to read the Twilight series. Since I take the books to the dog park and they get ruined, I didn't want to borrow them.
I went to the bookstore, too expensive.
Costco had the entire series in paperback at the time. I got them all because I knew the books wouldn't be there forever.
Then I started reading them and didn't like them!
Oh well.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

bblhed

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bblhed

I order most of the few books I do buy on line, and they are mostly reference and how to manuals.

Oddly enough I find that I bought a lot of the books that I own from SCUBA dive shops, they are mostly training manuals or class materials.

kashley28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kashley28

I get my Kindle ebooks from Amazon, and physical books from PaperBackSwap.com.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

While I love a good deal, and garage/library sales are always a great deal, having just moved, I am so over having tons of heavy books, CD's, movies, etc. Less is more. I wait for sales on Kindle and buy my books that way.

catta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages catta

Usually used book stores. However, this year I went to the American Library Association convention and got 157 new (as in, some aren't even published yet) books for the price of the $25 registration fee. All of these publishers get together and give away new books to librarians, book reviewers (I have a Goodreads account; that means I'm a book reviewer, right?), and bloggers to generate buzz and get libraries to buy their books. They just put these books out on tables and you can peruse the wares and pick up anything that looks interesting and put it in your bag and walk away and no one yells at you or arrests you or anything. It is magical. And these are usually pretty good books. I was afraid these would be books that they need to get rid of because they are awful, but it's been a pretty good mix. There have been a few books I've loved, many decent books, and only one or two that I've had to pan on Goodreads. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you're my husband and are tired of the piles of books everywhere), the next ALA convention near where I live is in about four years. So I guess I'll have to go back to used book stores.

First Big o' Cosmos: Super-secret Moofi edition on 06/16/2011

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I get most of the books I read from the library. I get most of the books I keep from Half Price Books. I get most of the books I give as gifts from Amazon.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
ViperGuy wrote:i dont buy books

That could be taken a number of ways.

lakelady

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lakelady

After a DIY move across the country, I'm over collecting tons of books. What doesn't sell on Amazon (most will not) will be donated to the local Humane Society yard sale and I will be left with a few favorites and my Kindle. Now when I find myself around books in stores I take a picture of any that look interesting so that I can find them online to download.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
lakelady wrote:After a DIY move across the country, I'm over collecting tons of books.

Ha, that's what broke me after many years of buying physical books too.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tomsman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tomsman

In the past I used to get all of my new books through amazon. That was years ago. Now I either borrow the newest titles from our public library (or have it loaned from another if they don't have it) or older ones at places like Salvation Army, garage sales, etc. Sometimes I luck out and find something recent at those places for a buck. I love books and while I appreciate the ability to easily carry a library in your pocket/purse/etc. as so many do now, it has no appeal to me at all. It sounds silly to some, but I'm a hold out. That said, I am moving to Austin from Detroit and very few books/cds/movies are going with me. I've donated the majority of my collection to the library. I don't mind carrying a book around with me, but NOT hundreds of pounds of them 1200+ miles across the country.

Looking for MXLs Alien Sonogram, Tin: Old Skool, Puppet Checkup and Flesh Wound from Teefury; A Wicked Mess, F5 Refreshes You, and Sissy Fight. PM or teetrade (tomsman)for trade or sell.

tomsman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tomsman

"I went to the American Library Association convention and got 157 new (as in, some aren't even published yet) books for the price of the $25 registration fee."

I was at ALA in Atlanta 10 years or so ago and I couldn't believe it. I had to fly home from Detroit, so I had to pick and choose - but if I lived close, I would have done the same.

Looking for MXLs Alien Sonogram, Tin: Old Skool, Puppet Checkup and Flesh Wound from Teefury; A Wicked Mess, F5 Refreshes You, and Sissy Fight. PM or teetrade (tomsman)for trade or sell.

MissBehaving

quality posts: 12 Private Messages MissBehaving

Howsabout a book.woot!? Yeah, yeah, yeah! Or better yet, a cookbook.woot!? I have about a thousand of those...and my husband is not at all pleased.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta

**begin long rambling post**
I buy physical books, both new and used, online mostly. But I do go into bookstores occasionally (for both new and used books). I hate going out shopping and dealing with the traffic and the crowds and the tadpoles. It is so much faster and easier to get stuff online, even if I do end up paying a tad bit more, but it is worth it for the convenience. I used to go to the library a lot when I was younger. I need to start doing that more. My problem is it can sometimes take a while to get through a book (work...2 year old...need sleep too...and time with husband...) and it would be a pain to keep renewing the book. Although if it could be renewed online, that wouldn't be so bad...but I'd still have to remember to do it... And I have stacks of books in my house that I have bought over the past few years that I have yet to read!
**end long rambling post**

edited to add:
I am one of those that resists the switch to e-books. I like having the physical book in my hand and turning paper pages and not getting eye strain from looking at a computer screen. I sit here in front of a computer all day long at work. Yes, e-books are convenient and you can take a whole bunch with you in one tiny little space. But that is the only plus that I see.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)