jklingforth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jklingforth

Is it color or black and white?

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
jklingforth wrote:Is it color or black and white?

The case would seem to be black.
That *is* what you were asking about, right?

ryanloftis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanloftis

i bought this for my mom at christmas time, the usb jack stopped charging it last week. but it does have android 3.0 now

jklingforth

StanleyS wrote:The case would seem to be black.
That *is* what you were asking about, right?

No, I was asking if the screen was color or black and white.

StanleyS

jklingforth wrote:No, I was asking if the screen was color or black and white.

It would appear to be color, based on the *color* icons in the picture Woot has posted. Why would you think otherwise?

elignell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elignell

Have it. Great for the price. Camera is terrible. Locks up and can be very slow if you're not constantly checking to make sure multiple apps are not running at the same time. Still think you're getting a lot for your money on this one.

jklingforth

StanleyS wrote:It would appear to be color, based on the *color* icons in the picture Woot has posted. Why would you think otherwise?

Only because of the price, and I know nothing about them... sorry for being so "stupid."

Shoprgyrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shoprgyrl

Bought five of these for Christmas last woot go-around. Out of the five, four had to be sent back due to defective charging port. Of the four that were replaced, two more are set to go back again, for the same problem. I was told by Vizio that they had a bad batch of these and that they are aware of the problem. That being said, because it was purchased through Woot, they will not replace it with a new one (vs. refurb) which they would normally do. They have changed their return policy as well (just in last 30 days). You have to take 3 pics of tablet and jump through some other hoops. Overall, I like the tablet, however, I am not sure it is worth the hassle of dealing with their poor quality control issues. You pay for the shipping each time, not Vizio, unless you let them put a $160 hold on your credit card for 30+ days (for each tablet).

Shoprgyrl

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Shoprgyrl
jklingforth wrote:Is it color or black and white?

It is a color tablet.

StanleyS

jklingforth wrote:Only because of the price, and I know nothing about them... sorry for being so "stupid."

I thought your original post was supposed to be "funny", like asking "will this work with a Mac?"

graystang86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graystang86
jklingforth wrote:Only because of the price, and I know nothing about them... sorry for being so "stupid."

There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS! Just, people that have a tendency to answer like I do in some types of forums. However, IMHO, this forum deals with questions about *many different things*. So, IMHO, it's *unreasonable* to expect people to know "everything" on the topic.

And, to be fair, *I* could not find a place on the woot or Vizio web pages that says *color*. And, there are B&W displays.

http://cdn.vizio.com/media/video/Tablet.swf?width=348&height=552

Doing more looking, on the Vizio website and youtube, it is clear that it's a color tablet.

However, IMHO, it's also reasonable for a person to not want to waste a lot of time looking because IMHO, just about *all* of the tablets under $200 are GARBAGE!

I bought the Vizio referb tablet before Christmas as a present. The person loves the tablet and uses it daily.

I've been looking to upgrade my Color Nook for a faster better ~8" tablet.

There are *many many "lies"* (BS specs) with tablets. IMHO, the video processor is what makes or breaks a tablet for *web surfing or watching video clips*.

For the B&N, and Amazon "tablets", they are beyond horrible with graphics performance. But, the are meant to be readers with long battery life.

Then, you have the tons of other sub $200 tablets that are horrible in many other areas.

IMHO, if someone wants an ~8" table under $200, then GET THE VIZIO TABLET!

For me, I like my ASUS transformer. I'm waiting for their next generation 10" tablet. Even the newer Transformer Prime is still too slow for "what I want" in web performance. My netbooks are better. But, I like the the touch and tablet (/slate) function for doing *quick* stuff (reading) on the web.

I know this is posted late. Hope you get the tablet if that's what you want.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic
graystang86 wrote:There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS! Just, people that have a tendency to answer like I do in some types of forums. However, IMHO, this forum deals with questions about *many different things*. So, IMHO, it's *unreasonable* to expect people to know "everything" on the topic.

And, to be fair, *I* could not find a place on the woot or Vizio web pages that says *color*. And, there are B&W displays.

http://cdn.vizio.com/media/video/Tablet.swf?width=348&height=552

Doing more looking, on the Vizio website and youtube, it is clear that it's a color tablet.

However, IMHO, it's also reasonable for a person to not want to waste a lot of time looking because IMHO, just about *all* of the tablets under $200 are GARBAGE!

I bought the Vizio referb tablet before Christmas as a present. The person loves the tablet and uses it daily.

I've been looking to upgrade my Color Nook for a faster better ~8" tablet.

There are *many many "lies"* (BS specs) with tablets. IMHO, the video processor is what makes or breaks a tablet for *web surfing or watching video clips*.

For the B&N, and Amazon "tablets", they are beyond horrible with graphics performance. But, the are meant to be readers with long battery life.

Then, you have the tons of other sub $200 tablets that are horrible in many other areas.

IMHO, if someone wants an ~8" table under $200, then GET THE VIZIO TABLET!

For me, I like my ASUS transformer. I'm waiting for their next generation 10" tablet. Even the newer Transformer Prime is still too slow for "what I want" in web performance. My netbooks are better. But, I like the the touch and tablet (/slate) function for doing *quick* stuff (reading) on the web.

I know this is posted late. Hope you get the tablet if that's what you want.

I don't know, todays tablets seem pretty good comparing to just a year ago. I did try and owned and still own a lot of tablets, and got to say android got pretty good lately. I love HC and ICS, it made a lot of diference. I wish there is a tablet that uses all the goods from iOS, android, WebOS, and rims OS, as each one has good and bad properties, but it will never happen. Will see how Windows 8 plays out later this year.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

graystang86 wrote:There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS! Just, people that have a tendency to answer like I do in some types of forums. However, IMHO, this forum deals with questions about *many different things*. So, IMHO, it's *unreasonable* to expect people to know "everything" on the topic.

Great answer. Thanks for taking the time to read the forums and respond so thoughtfully.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kjrehberg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kjrehberg
bcgrote wrote:This thing does all that the Kindle Fire can do PLUS! And at a lower price.

Not quite. The Kindle Fire has access to unlimited streaming video for Amazon Prime subscribers. The Kindle apps do not. However, Amazon Instant Video is essentially the same video collection as Netflix. (Both of them are hosted on Amazon servers and have almost the same "instant" video catalog).

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic
kjrehberg wrote:Not quite. The Kindle Fire has access to unlimited streaming video for Amazon Prime subscribers. The Kindle apps do not. However, Amazon Instant Video is essentially the same video collection as Netflix. (Both of them are hosted on Amazon servers and have almost the same "instant" video catalog).

You can watch Amazon VOD in your browser, as long as your tablet supports flash.

kjrehberg

graystang86 wrote:For the B&N, and Amazon "tablets", they are beyond horrible with graphics performance. But, the are meant to be readers with long battery life.

If by "graphics performance" you are referring to video games, then, yes.

However, if you mean watching videos, then you're completely wrong. I watch Netflix HD on the Kindle Fire, Nook Color and they work as perfectly as they do on iPhone, iPod Touch, XBox 360, PS3, and Blu-Ray players.

kjrehberg

darkomandic wrote:You can watch Amazon VOD in your browser, as long as your tablet supports flash.

I'll have to try that. It's a rather roundabout way to do it. My Nook Color says I have to buy the titles from my computer even though they cost $0.00.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

The refurbished Vizio 8-inch tablet I bought from Woot Dec. 12, 2011 fortunately worked out fine. I've had decent experiences with this tablet & good experiences with Vizio HDTV's. Let's remember that Vizio was late to the tablet computer market & did not have their 1st tablet available in stores until late Summer 2011, but they seem to be doing a nice job in trying to catch up with their Android tablet competitors.

The Android 3.2 update seemed to stablize & speed up the tablet. I do miss the 3 hardware buttons at the bottom & on the side for the "back", "home", & "menu" option that worked previously with their initial O/S Ver. 2.3, but it appears are deactivated & not supported in Ver. 3.2 and were functionally replaced with on-screen software icons.

Live Wallpaper is NOT supported & does NOT run on this Vizio tablet computer. I installed a Live Wallpaper app, but when I opened & ran it I received an error message reporting something like "will not run on this handset".

No sample wallpaper, photos, music, or videos come with this Vizio tablet either, but you must load your own.

Sure was nice of Woot to add & include the micro HDMI cable which was not offered or packaged with the one I bought last December.

graystang86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graystang86
kjrehberg wrote:If by "graphics performance" you are referring to video games, then, yes.

However, if you mean watching videos, then you're completely wrong. I watch Netflix HD on the Kindle Fire, Nook Color and they work as perfectly as they do on iPhone, iPod Touch, XBox 360, PS3, and Blu-Ray players.

Yes and no. :-)
You can watch video on the color nook and Amazon tablets. But, it's the quailty (bit rate), and resolution, where the Nook and Kindle are horrible.

Web sites can (and often do) adjust video quailty for the target device. Netflix has had to do that from the first day.

For _some_ streaming video, the Nook and Kindle are fine. You tube has some decent free HD videos. But, even their 1080 videos have a rather low bit rate.

With the lower bit rates, people see "blotches" and "blocking" and "stair casing".

Still, IMHO, people are not using their tablets to watch great HD, or to hook up to the TV as a Home Theater PC (HTPC) or to replace their Roku. :-)

Yea, I often watch the weather forecast on my Nook form the local TV station - it's more than fine. But, if I see that same video on my TV (from my HTPC), it looks horrible.

There are tons of videos on youtube that compare the web performance of Kindle and Nook.

IMHO, TMZ, speedtest-dot-net (for the page to fully load), and the Boston Globe websites (the desktop versions) are good tests for tablets. I don't like, or use, the mobile versions of web sites.

BTW, yes, I have watched Netflix on my tablet in bed when I had a cold and couldn't get to sleep. It was more than fine.

Still, IMHO, my recommendation still stands that the Vizio tablet is far better than the Kindle or Nook.

Note: In about a year, the 7"->8" tablet will have a huge shakeup again as Google (with ASUS and Samsung) start to offer Android tablets. For now, it seems like they may be looking more at offering decent entry-level tablets for people looking to use an Android tablet.

So, who knows what will be a good suggestion in a year+?

IMHO, for now, I don't see anything in the sub $200 7"/8" tablet market that I'd consider that *I* recommend to people (other than the occasional Vizio referb).

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

If anyone roots theirs, could they share what they used and how it turned out?

Still single, can't imagine why.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Looks like this Vizio Tablet VTAB1008 recently made it to the 6th place in CNET's Best Budget Tablet reviews at the web link below:

CNET Best Budget Tablets March 19, 2012

jgtigger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgtigger

Bought this in Dec., by Jan. had issues with the unit recharging....apparently the universal USB fitting is not universal and it will only recharge with the vizio re-charger. They sent me a new unit on which I have only used the Vizio specific recharger and now it is having the same issues. In addition when I called with the issue they were to send the new unit and a return label....only I never rec'd the return label. I called them and had it resent to the correct email address. It was their label with their tracking number, I informed them it was shipped on 17 March, and they charged my card for the second unit on 21 March (they rec'd the returned unti on 23 March). And to top it all off the unit I sent back to them in the original packaging was returned to me loose in a box without the adapter. They may speak English and have American service reps but they were less than helpful.

jehren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jehren

Anyone with more expierence have a good estimate of how long before Woot will ship this thing? I know they say up to 5 business days--is that usual?

ianbischoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianbischoff

Has this shipped for anyone yet?

walmartman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages walmartman
recordseller wrote:Wait for the "Kindle Fire-killer" Google Tablet that will be selling for $199 later this year in the Google Store with ICS.

yeah. but that's waiting till at least June, if not end of July. By then you'll also have all the Windows 8 tables being released.
no doubt, the Google Tablet will be rock solid and great price tag. But to long of wait.

ikslakspm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikslakspm
ianbischoff wrote:Has this shipped for anyone yet?

Not yet for me :-(

walmartman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages walmartman
ianbischoff wrote:Has this shipped for anyone yet?

not me either

pat36

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pat36

not here

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dudes, it's only been 2 business days. Be patient!

Also, don't forget that you can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joekporter56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekporter56

Just received tracking #. Hoping to receive it today or tomorrow.

ikslakspm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ikslakspm
ThunderThighs wrote:Dudes, it's only been 2 business days. Be patient!

Also, don't forget that you can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your receipt which you can get via My Account. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

I know, I know. I'm just reeeeeeeely anxious to play wit my neeew toy!!!

jehren

joekporter56 wrote:Just received tracking #. Hoping to receive it today or tomorrow.

Unless you live in Dallas or Woot shipped before they emailed us, I think you may want to adjust your expectations. Tracking number is for Smartpost.

joekporter56

jehren wrote:Unless you live in Dallas or Woot shipped before they emailed us, I think you may want to adjust your expectations. Tracking number is for Smartpost.

Actually, I DO live in Dallas. But no Tablet for me today.

jehren

joekporter56 wrote:Actually, I DO live in Dallas. But no Tablet for me today.

Cool. Would you post again when you receive?

celticgina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages celticgina

So I got the email saying it has shipped.

But what the heck is smartpost??

Can't wait to play with mine.....can't wait to explain to my husband what I bought!! ooops.....did I forget to mention this to him??
heh heh heh

ThunderThighs

Staff

celticgina wrote:So I got the email saying it has shipped.

Can't wait to play with mine.....can't wait to explain to my husband what I bought!! ooops.....did I forget to mention this to him??
heh heh heh

FedEx SmartPost means that FedEx picks up the package and delivers it to your closest Post Office. Your Post Office then handles the final delivery to you.

You'll notice that our icon shows the package being delivered via ... uhm... snail. SmartPost isn't the fastest delivery system ever invented but it is cheap. Happy waiting!

FORUM MODERATOR

ahuff330

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ahuff330
celticgina wrote:So I got the email saying it has shipped.

heh heh heh

At least I'm not the only one keeping this purchase quiet for now. I was starting to feel guilty.

joekporter56

jehren wrote:Cool. Would you post again when you receive?

Will do...

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
ThunderThighs wrote:FedEx SmartPost means that FedEx picks up the package and delivers it to your closest Post Office. Your Post Office then handles the final delivery to you.

You'll notice that our icon shows the package being delivered via ... uhm... snail. SmartPost isn't the fastest delivery system ever invented but it is cheap. Happy waiting!

The 2-quart Marcus pan that was shipped SmartPost from Washington on Monday morning reached me yesterday afternoon. I like SmartPost better than regular FedEx. Even if I'm the only one, I don't care. In my neighborhood, at least, it's true.

takingflight005005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takingflight005005

Anxiously awaiting mine! Does anyone know if it comes with a stylus/pen? If it doesn't, then any capacitive stylus should work....

On that note, anyone know of any good stylus-writing programs for it? I'd love to use this to take quick (or even long) notes by hand. I bought a certain LCD writing tablet, but this will work much better if there is a good freehand note-taking app.

Thanks, everyone! Happy Wooting!

"Ah, curse your sudden, but inevitable, betrayal!"