joejaklitch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joejaklitch

Would this camera be good for low light conditions, such as a concert venue?

payshunz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages payshunz
leeyokum wrote:who thinks there isn't a view finder? is a digital camera the LCD Screen IS the view finder, geez people, if your going to spend $140 on something you have no clue to use, just have it shipped to me instead I'll make sure its used to its fullest, could always use an extra camera

An optical/digital viewfinder IS useful when the bright sunlight makes the LCD screen less visible. I wouldn't make a viewfinder a deciding-point on a digital camera, though; just something to be aware of.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
LobbVT wrote:Yes, on some occasions I can do the half way press to focus, and the snap it, but more often than not, I just want to take a picture immediately. No prep time available. I can't bring myself to buy another one of these. I guess DSLR is the only way to go for me.

Yeah, I'm starting to run into this problem myself - it became real annoying at the zoo over the weekend when I was trying to take a picture of otters. Guess we'll just have to camp out for a DSLR to come up, then.

I'm just hanging out, really.

traderlen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages traderlen

Re: Replacement batteries:
I have owned many digital cameras over the years, and have purchased dozens of replacement batteries.

My experience is that the non-vendor batteries do not last as long as the vendor's, regardless of what the battery maker claims. However, some last far longer than others. I find that most are OK for "backup" or extra batteries.

Also, I suggest keeping an eye on them when charging for the first few times. I have had several get VERY hot. They ended up in the trash (cheaper than a burned-down house).

davidroper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidroper

Dancojanu - nobody use a view finder anymore. They haven't for a decade. Camera makers don't want to waste the "room" on the back on the camera when there's a BIG LCD screen on the back. Sell your Argus C3.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
joejaklitch wrote:Would this camera be good for low light conditions, such as a concert venue?

No! Please see my earlier post about selecting the camera to suit the situation. Low light work requires a faster lens. You may get some good shots with this camera once in a while, but a 400mm+ lens at f/5.6 or even f/8 will be impossible to hand hold or stop movement.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

smoritz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smoritz

Re: aftermarket batteries

Having been using digital cameras since the beginning of their time and making all the jumps and steps along the way...I have tried many different battery suppliers and while they all work to some degree or another they do always fall short and leave you wishing you had not wasted the $ on that inferior garbage.

SterlingTek batteries are the only non OEM batteries I buy anymore and I have not bought any of those in over a year so hopefully they would still be a reputable supplier.

Biggest suggestion - AVOID EBAY knockoff batteries.

radi0j0hn

davidroper wrote:Dancojanu - nobody use a view finder anymore. They haven't for a decade. Camera makers don't want to waste the "room" on the back on the camera when there's a BIG LCD screen on the back. Sell your Argus C3.

You are misinformed. Makers leave out the viewfinder to save money.

How often have you not been able to see the screen in bright light? Composing outside is a real pain.

You have been conned into believing having no viewfinder is progress. The best cameras HAVE viewfinders or sell them as add-ons for a ton of $$.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I never thought I'd say this, but I already own too many cameras.

timtlm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timtlm
radi0j0hn wrote:It's turning out that at lot of people never use AV, TV, M or P. They want a box camera. Nothing wrong with that, if that is the way you wish to go.

There are plenty of other preset modes like portrait, action, night mode that many cameras have on a mode dial outside of these manual modes. On top of that, not have a manual way of switching to video is not good.

If people are interested in this class of camera (small point and shoot with lots of optical zoom and HD video), I would highly recommend a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10. I realize this is more expensive, but if features are important to you, it's worth the extra $60. Customizable mode dial, dedicated video button, zoom while recording. Makes a great camera and video camera in one.

radi0j0hn

RWoodward wrote:I never thought I'd say this, but I already own too many cameras.

Wait a month and they'll all be obsolete. ;)

nnarula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnarula

Obviously, you know little about photography.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
younggeezer wrote:If you're going for irritating drivel, at least get the attributions right.

Ah, but my drivel irritated you a lot more with the misattribution, didn't it? Score!

radi0j0hn

leeyokum wrote:who thinks there isn't a view finder? is a digital camera the LCD Screen IS the view finder, geez people, if your going to spend $140 on something you have no clue to use, just have it shipped to me instead I'll make sure its used to its fullest, could always use an extra camera

As some of us get older, we cannot see close. So we hold the camera with just the screen (so-called viewfinder, but not really) at arms length.

This is a terrible way to hold a camera. and it's worse with a light camera like this one that sports a 400mm+ equiv lens. Try to hold that sucker steady when holding the camera the same way you hold a baby with a dripping diaper.

The better non-removable lens cameras with long lenses have two finders. One is enclosed like the "old fashioned" viewfinder, the other is the regular screen.

Digital is not the same as "magic." The same photo challenges apply, you just don't use film.

scotrinaf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scotrinaf

Digital Zoom means that the camera digitally enhances the image, and no, not like they do on CSI or NCIS, or any other tv show...

Optical Zoom means that the lens is doing the work of "enlarging" the image prior to it hitting the photo receptor.

Basically, any enhancement/elnargement done to an image after it hits the photo receptor will degrade it's quality!

scotrinaf

radi0j0hn wrote:You are misinformed. Makers leave out the viewfinder to save money.

How often have you not been able to see the screen in bright light? Composing outside is a real pain.

You have been conned into believing having no viewfinder is progress. The best cameras HAVE viewfinders or sell them as add-ons for a ton of $$.

Totally agree!

As a printer by trade, it irks me for people to send in their "iPhone pics" as a "hi-res" picture to use in a printed piece... IMHO, if your camera doesn't have a viewfinder, it isn't worth it's weight in animal droppings. To get a good, steady, well-framed shot, using the viewfinder is a must...

We've had $30,000 print jobs that people want to insert their "iPhoto" into... LOL

palady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages palady
radi0j0hn wrote:I am the author of the book, "How To Use The Digital Camera You Just Bought." Optical zoom enlarges the image before it hits the sensor the same way binoculars enlarge the image before it hits your eyes. "Digital zoom" is a marketing sham that simply takes the image already on the sensor and crops away the edges to make it appear bigger. When you crop away image, you crop away resolution. Cut of 50% of a 16 MP image and what's left is as if you shot it with an 8 MP camera. Only consider optical zoom when comparing zoom ranges. Hope this helps.

This is a good start - thanks! I wonder when a has both digital and optical zoom how do you know which one is working? Or is it dependent on the camera itself? Thanks again!

scotrinaf

inkycatz wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to run into this problem myself - it became real annoying at the zoo over the weekend when I was trying to take a picture of otters. Guess we'll just have to camp out for a DSLR to come up, then.

Keep an eye out on BH Photo Video in their refurbished section... You can get a good deal on a Canon T3i or even a 60D (Which I just got and LOVE).

palady

radi0j0hn wrote:You are misinformed. Makers leave out the viewfinder to save money.

I won't buy a camera unless it has a viewfinder. The added LCD is ok, but I use that mostly for reviewing photos after they're shot. Guess I'm old fashioned, but to me it's the only way to hold the camera steady, and really know what image you're getting. And I'm a real novice photographer.

scotrinaf

palady wrote:This is a good start - thanks! I wonder when a has both digital and optical zoom how do you know which one is working? Or is it dependent on the camera itself? Thanks again!

Most cameras that offer both digital & optical zoom have a function to turn it on or off. In the cases I've seen, it will go to the full extent of the optical zoom, then if you press zoom out a second time, it will start using the digital zoom. My suggestion would be to turn off the digital zoom completely under your settings.

palady

scotrinaf wrote:Most cameras that offer both digital & optical zoom have a function to turn it on or off. In the cases I've seen, it will go to the full extent of the optical zoom, then if you press zoom out a second time, it will start using the digital zoom. My suggestion would be to turn off the digital zoom completely under your settings.

Thank you! I will search the manual and figure out how to do that!

waldosmiss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waldosmiss
CowboyDann wrote: Here is the user manual

HSN Demo and they wanted 200 for it at time of airing.

But no case, and no memory card with this deal, those are worth the extra $70....

SMONYSE

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SMONYSE

Who uses the viewfinder any more when you have a nice screen? Seems redundant.

herbvb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages herbvb

Casio's EXILIM series has almost no shutter lagtime. It's been my family's low-end camera of choice for pet and children pictures.

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

PLEASE HELP: What color should I get?

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

It's true that viewfinders are now rare on P&S cameras but that was not always true. One can look for a used Canon 570-590 that's still usable... nice camera, good features, with a viewfinder!

These cameras used to retail for around $250 or so when 4 - 5 years ago.

molluk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages molluk

I just discovered that Konami code works on Woot site...

bcgrote

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bcgrote

Good megapixels, excellent zoom. But - no RAW format....

Optical zoom is the lens itself zooming to the item. Digital zoom is making the pixels bigger to make it look closer. That's why you lose sharpness with extreme digital zoom.

I'll just wait for the next Canon G series....

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster

I don't believe viewfinders are left off to save money. There is at least one cheapo camera that still has one. The problem (aside from the fact that optical viewfinders on compact cameras are notoriously inaccurate) is that manufacturers want to advertise the biggest possible LCD, because that is what people want. To do that, they have to sacrifice the viewfinder, otherwise the camera would become too large to be pocket-sized.

Want a viewfinder? Buy a superzoom (also known as a megazoom or bridge camera). Most of them have an electronic viewfinder.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
joejaklitch wrote:Would this camera be good for low light conditions, such as a concert venue?

No compact camera would be good for that.

pranshu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pranshu

Just got the camera. There is a small black door thing hanging from the battery door, which doesn't lock in. Click button is pathetic.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pranshu wrote:Just got the camera. There is a small black door thing hanging from the battery door, which doesn't lock in. Click button is pathetic.

I see that piece in the manual and in our photo. Does it swing in so the compartment door is held in place? It's worth a call to Pentax to ask about it and the shutter button. You have a 1-year warranty for the camera.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pranshu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pranshu
ThunderThighs wrote:I see that piece in the manual and in our photo. Does it swing in so the compartment door is held in place? It's worth a call to Pentax to ask about it and the shutter button. You have a 1-year warranty for the camera.

It does swing in however it is not held back by the compartment door. I comes out with slightest movement of the camera. I intend to call Pentax today & check.

stevethorpe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stevethorpe
palady wrote:Thank you! I will search the manual and figure out how to do that!

I found it while browsing the menu settings without using the manual.

stevethorpe

SMONYSE wrote:Who uses the viewfinder any more when you have a nice screen? Seems redundant.

I was using mine outdoors in sunshine last weekend and the screen was virtually useless as a viewfinder for most of the shots, even when sun was not shining directly onto it. I was taking 'action' pics (of paragliders in flight) and I just had to hope I was aiming correctly most of the time. (The pics I did get were nice though)

stevethorpe

After taking this camera out for a weekend trip on which I got some nice pics, when I got home and recharged the battery the camera had stopped working: If I just turn it on as usual the Pentax Optio start screen displays, the lens pops out, the camera makes four rapid beeps then the lens goes back in and the camera turns off.

If I hold down the "view" key (the green arrow) while powering on then it starts in picture viewing mode (and lets me scroll though the pics as usual) but then when I try to exit viewing mode (by pressing the green arrow key again) the lens just starts cycling in and out and I can only stop it by removing the battery. Anyone else having a similar problem? Looks like I may have to return this camera but I do like it when it works; Is it possible to get replacements through Woot or do they just refund returns?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

stevethorpe wrote:After taking this camera out for a weekend trip on which I got some nice pics, when I got home and recharged the battery the camera had stopped working: If I just turn it on as usual the Pentax Optio start screen displays, the lens pops out, the camera makes four rapid beeps then the lens goes back in and the camera turns off.

If I hold down the "view" key (the green arrow) while powering on then it starts in picture viewing mode (and lets me scroll though the pics as usual) but then when I try to exit viewing mode (by pressing the green arrow key again) the lens just starts cycling in and out and I can only stop it by removing the battery. Anyone else having a similar problem? Looks like I may have to return this camera but I do like it when it works; Is it possible to get replacements through Woot or do they just refund returns?

It depends on what we have in stock. Please email service@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

drewgreer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewgreer
ThunderThighs wrote:It depends on what we have in stock. Please email service@woot.com for assistance.

Same issue. I used the camera for about a dozen shots. Most were good. Now, I turn it on, it powers up, lenses extendeds, beeps a few times and closes and shuts off. Very disappointing.