pfajardo19

quality posts: 9 Private Messages pfajardo19

Can't resist, more gadgets for the kitchen......can always use a new and improved can opener! In for one! Now which color???

come2thedarkside

Robearlbms

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Robearlbms

Great big gobs of greasy grimy golpher guts...hmmmmm good.

Tarkus01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tarkus01

I bit on the pair. Had to get the blue to go with the Knives I got the other day. I have just recently started purchasing this brand of items and am pleased with the purchases so far. It seems they have a special deal with QVC and introduce newer products there and Amazon also sells them. When a new model replaces them it appears that they now become Woot fodder.

sdc100

quality posts: 504 Private Messages sdc100

These are great and work well. Unlike some other sidewinding can openers, this has the rotator on the side instead of the top. It makes a big difference, especially if you have arthritis. Turning on the top is unnatural and can be painful. The Kuhn Rikon is also well-constructed. I've tried 5 different brands of these types of openers and Kuhn Rikon is among the top 2 best.

This type of opener is also easier to clean so I highly recommend them, no matter who the maker is. That;s because the food never touches the blade, so there is no gunk buildup. Most importantly, the lid never falls into the food. I;ve seen mice running over cans, and workers dripping floor cleaners onto cans. This type of opener prevents the spread of germ and toxins into food.

My only reservation is the $14.95_$5 price tag. You can get similar openers from top companies for less (without the jar opener), especially when Amazon is having their Buy 3-get-1-free sale, not to mention free s/h.

mrsmcg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrsmcg
paulpnevada wrote:Here's the demo video.

http://kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=367&show_tab=1

Thanks for the video link, but that video is for a different style can opener. I am looking for a can opener that my folks can use, as they seem to have an issue getting a manual can opener to attach to cans. This one says it is self-attaching, but then someone mentioned that it takes some getting used to, so now I am not so sure.

sdc100

mrsmcg wrote:Thanks for the video link, but that video is for a different style can opener. I am looking for a can opener that my folks can use, as they seem to have an issue getting a manual can opener to attach to cans. This one says it is self-attaching, but then someone mentioned that it takes some getting used to, so now I am not so sure.

There is definitely a short learning curve to get the blade onto the seal.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Get the Red one, it's faster!

sdc100

pensotroppo wrote:I have the red one. It's true - it does make a non-jagged edge that's easier to reseal.

It's a little tricky to get the hang of first. But with a little practice, you'll be opening your hobo beans in no time.

Just the opener itself tends to go for $20: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10755975

While you can replace the lid, it's not really resealing since it's not airtight. It's similar to placing a plate over a bowl to keep dirt out.

herzeleidknits

quality posts: 1 Private Messages herzeleidknits
justicepie wrote:Apparently the Pacific Northwest has a lot of cans they need to open.

I'm moving to the Pacific Northwest soon and I'm about to buy a set of these. I wonder if the two things are related?

obskera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages obskera

Soooooo many cans! I have 2 cuppards and half a basement full of canned goods! I love the pacific northwest! /End snark.

gertiestn

quality posts: 54 Private Messages gertiestn

Just a couple of nights ago, I wanted to add a few crispy peppers to the sandwich I was concocting. I couldn't get the jar open ( arthritis flare-up something fierce), my cat looked away & retracted his claws, & I just couldn't see myself going door-to-door in my apartment building at 2 a.m. trying to find someone to open the jar. I have a few tools that are supposed to open jars, but nothing worked. I think these items were designed especially for moi, & I thank the powers that be at Woot! for ministering to my overnight jar needs.

TheDuckofLaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheDuckofLaw

How is everyone so stricken with arthritis? I'm sorry for your plight, but how does this sort of epidemic come about?

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

If you need the jar opener you shouldn't be using a manual can opener.You can get electric can openers for less than this.

mynamehere

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mynamehere

I recently bought this Kuhn Rikon jar opener, and though it's the no frills version it works really well:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO256G/ref=oh_o02_s00_i01_details
The mechanism looks to be the same design, so this version (tonight's woot) adds functionality to the tool.

Think I'll grab this woot since this version of the jar and can opener are $20 each on Amazon. In for 2, this is a steal!

smporter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smporter

Re

TheDuckofLaw wrote:How is everyone so stricken with arthritis? I'm sorry for your plight, but how does this sort of epidemic come about?

There are about 100 types of arthritis, which are diagnosed and treated by rheumatologists.

Most people, if they get old enough, get the common wear-and-tear arthritis called osteoarthritis. Some people get it earlier, especially if their joints were repeatedly injured or got a heavy workout from obesity.

The second most common is rheumatoid autoimmune disease, which affects about 1% of people. While they are mostly adult women, men and kids can get it, too. There are expensive drugs that can be very effective, but they suppress the immune system, have serious side effects, and don't always stop the damage or relieve pain and fatigue. RA destroys joints and organs over time, so tools like this can be very useful.

shalaran

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shalaran

The ipod may not be included, but I want to try some woot soup!

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
TheDuckofLaw wrote:How is everyone so stricken with arthritis? I'm sorry for your plight, but how does this sort of epidemic come about?

Repeatedly pressing F5 on woot-off days

tnrobert43

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tnrobert43

In for a set. I'm hoping it comes with lots of bags of Wootair. My four year old and the boxer both love when orders arrive with those. We have lots of fun popping them!

CerPrime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CerPrime
saltwaterrecords wrote:This is not a can opener. It is a lidlifter.

Can somebody clarify if this is a true can opener or not?

pamtha

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pamtha
dliidlii wrote:If you need the jar opener you shouldn't be using a manual can opener.You can get electric can openers for less than this.

Power outages. Or just don't have space for another plug in appliance cluttering up the counters. Or just saving electricity.

If this is like my Pampered Chef can opener, it unseals the entire top of the can under the rim, and it comes right off, just like it was pre-sealing at the food factory. Kid safe, and yes, I push the top back on the can to store in the fridge when necessary.

wildfire52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildfire52

In fur one.

My paws can use a little help
fending off the wear and tear.

(insert joke here)

Woooot!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

CerPrime wrote:Can somebody clarify if this is a true can opener or not?

The video that posted on the Hello Springtime shows what it does pretty well. It's a different model but the concept is the same:

paulpnevada wrote:Here's the demo video.

http://kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=367&show_tab=1

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

In for a set and this time I promise I will dump the 3-4 old metal can openers with that blurp,blurp nasty stuff on the gear.

iamskypilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamskypilot

and they had the whole can of it!

jmp8910

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jmp8910

http://www.kuhnrikon.com/site/search.php3?start=0&todo=Search

Considering on the product page, the lid lifter goes for $20 and the Jar Opener goes for $20, I would say this is a good deal! May get one considering my can opener does not work!

nohhousefire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nohhousefire

I prefer my monkey bits packed in hot sauce. Yummie

atrane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages atrane

Has anyone bought these to have their young children use when "helping" with dinner? The ease of use and the no sharp edges make it seem like a perfect product for that purpose, but I thought I might have missed something.

iamjessica

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iamjessica

I don't need a can opener per se but the jar opener seems like a nice idea. I do like how the can opener works so I'm in for one. And red is the fastest ... so I hear.

I poop while I Woot.

eternalgreenknight

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eternalgreenknight

In for a set! Lid lifter is a big plus, as is the jar opener for my wife! :-)

sohowcome

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sohowcome

In for one! Great reviews, I think my fiance will be happy with these I am not always there with my burly man hands to help her out.

Woot Wage:$174.95 Purchase Highlights (4 woots, 7 items):
Woots:
12/09/08 Razer Piranha Gaming Stereo Headphones
12/15/08 VEXplorer RC Robotic Construction System
03/30/09 100 Watt Micro Slim Power Inverter with AC and USB
04/10/12 Kuhn Rikon Can & Jar Opener Set

kwsharman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kwsharman

I managed a kitchen store 20 years ago and we sold a similar device, and I bought one. But most cans took more strength to open then was worth it and my wife couldn't open anything with it, I would be weary of this.

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

This could be considered a TWO FOR TUESDAY DEAL!!!!

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
atrane wrote:Has anyone bought these to have their young children use when "helping" with dinner? The ease of use and the no sharp edges make it seem like a perfect product for that purpose, but I thought I might have missed something.

This can opener requires same coordination and strength of a normal manual can opener. Just because the lid is smooth and no sharp edges keep away from young children, they can still spill contents of the can, throw the lid like a frisbee etc, etc.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet

This type of can opener has been around for many years.

Requires same motion and strength of a normal manual can opener. It can be as painful for a arthritis patient.

Smooth edges and no entry into the cans content is the biggest advantage.

The lid lifter is rather useless, it's quicker to just grab the lid and lift off. Since the lid is "safe" and "smooth". And you can replace the lid to store in the fridge.

Now for the arthritis patient (or lazy) here is an electric safe edge opener.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Smooth-Touch-Can-Opener/5924593

coolman01231

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coolman01231

Did someone say soup?

Always craving that hard quality post.

spin711

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spin711
coolman01231 wrote:

Did someone say soup?

Now there is someone who takes pride is his cats, strange yet impeccable, very nicely done.

Now for the monkeys

coolman01231

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coolman01231
spin711 wrote:Now there is someone who takes pride is his cats, strange yet impeccable, very nicely done.

Now for the monkeys

Did someone say monkey?

Always craving that hard quality post.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Give it time, give it time...

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

tjpeck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tjpeck

Any idea if they are any easier for a left handed person?

bobalooza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bobalooza

Regarding the amount of effort required to use the "lid lifter", we purchased a different model of Kuhn Rikon can opener from Amazon to replace a Pampered Chef model that was starting to fail. I was truly amazed at how effortless opening a can really was. You don't have to squeeze handles together. Just turn the crank which offers little resistance. With the one we have it really doesn't even feel like it is doing anything but the can edge gets cut.