3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD
$179.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

svengoolie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages svengoolie

Can this be used to watch GBTV? I've thought about buying a Roku thingy for it.

Supersox

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Supersox

I slung one of these against a wall once. Apparently the "sling" in Slingbox does not mean the same as slinging a frisbee across the yard. Now what to do with the 1000 or so pieces of my old Slingbox...

FierceDeityLink1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FierceDeityLink1

Got one from Sling refurbed for $150 and it's quite good.

They do tend to break, though (bad capacitors) and charge you to fix it.

TheTroygenator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheTroygenator

No HDMI?

frogboy99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages frogboy99

Here it is on Amazon $244 (on sale):

http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Media-Slingbox-PRO-HD-SB300-100/dp/B001EZRJZE

mangamonster

quality posts: 7 Private Messages mangamonster

The reviews on this are pretty bad. Seems that it's good to go for a month or two, then BAM! It's dead forever. Support is worthless. Takes a lot of work with support to finally get it replaced...

not for me

Gamrz Podcast Show

FierceDeityLink1

TheTroygenator wrote:No HDMI?

batmanandblobin wrote:However if there is no HDMI on this - it sucks.

Analog loophole, so no HDMI, but most devices (DVRs and whatnot) have HDMI and component and often output both simultaneously.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mangamonster wrote:The reviews on this are pretty bad. Seems that it's good to go for a month or two, then BAM! It's dead forever. Support is worthless. Takes a lot of work with support to finally get it replaced...

not for me

Linkies?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

With SlingPlayer software (not included) watch and control your TV and all of its programming on your compatible tablet or smartphone

What software is it, and how much does it cost?

FierceDeityLink1

CowboyDann wrote:With SlingPlayer software (not included) watch and control your TV and all of its programming on your compatible tablet or smartphone

$30 for iPad, iPhone, Android, or Android tablet. Free on Boxee Box and Google TV.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/software

lichme

quality posts: 3008 Private Messages lichme

I think this is a lot more visually appealing then most media/receiver boxes. It would look great on my entertainment center.

andrewbrown

quality posts: 2 Private Messages andrewbrown

To those discussing reliability problems... I bought one new (not refurbished) about 18 months ago, and I've never had a problem with it.

Nice device. Only complaints is the inherent lag in the remote (slow enough that I avoid using my U-Verse guide when watching via Slingbox if at all possible), and the web based player is vulnerable to occasional site outages.

Ippy98

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ippy98
CowboyDann wrote:With SlingPlayer software (not included) watch and control your TV and all of its programming on your compatible tablet or smartphone

SlingPlayer
$30

IMO its pretty pricey for the software, BUT it's well made, I don't really regret buying it for my phone, but it probably could be cheaper still.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

I bought the Solo here on 9/29/10 and love it. Haven't had a single glitch with it. I paid the $30 for the Android software, which allows me to install it on each Android device I own -- buy once, use everywhere.

Very tempted to upgrade to this as I've been upgrading some of my other A/V components recently.

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward

Like is this a controller to control the controllers, or what? I think I have a problem with control. Is it really so hard to turn something a few away on with a switch? No wonder we are all out of shape. Hummmph. I mean look at me. <------

MissouriMomma

danail5

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danail5

There is standalone software for the computer (free) as well as a browser plugin for most major browsers (free). Mobile apps (Android, iPhone, iPad) are $30 each, and I believe google tv and boxee have apps, though I'm not sure how much they cost.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

ndesloge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndesloge

I have one of these and love it! I think its one of the best ways to take tv 'mobile'. It reminds me of being in Hong Kong, watching hometown teams play sports-- its a great way to catch unique local programming.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1) This is 1080i, NOT full HD, but still very good.
2) The quality of the picture still depends largely on the speed of your internet connection, at both locations. (According to their website, 1.5 mb/s or higher for HD)
3) Doesn't use HDMI cables-- instead, to lower price, they have used component cables.
4) Once you are set up, it is super buttery. You can use it on a smartphone (paid app) or computer.

It goes for $250 (new) on Amazon. I would be in for one, but just got one like a month ago!

yoda888

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yoda888
Ippy98 wrote:SlingPlayer
$30

IMO its pretty pricey for the software, BUT it's well made, I don't really regret buying it for my phone, but it probably could be cheaper still.

Can I watch this on a computer within the house (on the same LAN) without using the browser plugin? Is there a client for this? (the original slingbox gave me that option)

Thx!

danail5

yoda888 wrote:Can I watch this on a computer within the house (on the same LAN) without using the browser plugin? Is there a client for this? (the original slingbox gave me that option)

Thx!

Yes, you can watch using the standalone app on your LAN but I don't believe they've updated the software lately for the PC. The browser plugin also uses the LAN and in my experience has had better performance as of late.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
TheTroygenator wrote:No HDMI?

It doesn't need HDMI. This is not like other devices where you are playing internet content on your TV. This is for playing TV content on your computer; you hook it up to your antenna or cable box.

ThunderThighs

Staff

I had an older version until it just died recently. Had it about 2 years, maybe?

It was great for watching TV from my cable box while at work or traveling. But the best thing was my son could tap into it from college as well.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

I had an older version until it just died recently. Had it about 2 years, maybe?

It was great for watching TV from my cable box while at work or traveling. But the best thing was my son could tap into it from college as well.

FORUM MODERATOR

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
FierceDeityLink1 wrote:$30 for iPad, iPhone, Android, or Android tablet. Free on Boxee Box and Google TV.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/software

d'oh that's the name of the software. Okay thanks for the clarification

ndesloge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndesloge
yoda888 wrote:Can I watch this on a computer within the house (on the same LAN) without using the browser plugin? Is there a client for this? (the original slingbox gave me that option)

Thx!

Unofficially, yes-- you can download the Slingplayer desktop client. Since the company has been moving towards browser playback, I'm not sure if it is on Slingbox's website, but you should be able to find it quickly with a search.

yoda888

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yoda888
danail5 wrote:Yes, you can watch using the standalone app on your LAN but I don't believe they've updated the software lately for the PC. The browser plugin also uses the LAN and in my experience has had better performance as of late.

What if I have a Mac on the client side? Is there a client for that?

Thanks!

tinhtan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tinhtan

Slingbox is bad.
I updated their firmware and it broke my box.
They asked for money to repair.
Never to buy slingbox again.
Buy Hava instead!

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

If I already use Plex Server for free, why would I want this?
to watch cable tv?

manorin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manorin
ndesloge wrote:....
3) Doesn't use HDMI cables-- instead, to lower price, they have used component cables.

Its not really cause they are saving money. The SlingBox is not a HDCP (Content Protection)compliant device, therefore the only way around this is with analog connections.

Gotta love Analog!

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

The Slingbox "Classic" that I bought refurb'd from Woot years and years ago is still going strong... gotta love analog cable. The price was great too, no regrets about buying it refurbished.

Of course, my model of Slingbox is pretty distant from the one Woot is offering tonight.

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama

Have this.... LOVE IT!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

Have it set with my DVR, so I can watch my own live TV or anything on my DVR when traveling.. I can also set or delete recordings.. and fast forward, pause or rewind live TV if that is what your DVR or whatever you connect it to has that capability. It's easy to set up and like having full access to TV. In fact, whatever TV you have it connected to you will watch the same channel (that is how it is legal), because of this, you can remotely change the channel on someone in the home to play a trick on them. I'm gonna trick my parents and keep changing their channel to naughty shows.... LOL.

The App for iPad is $30.. the App for iPod and iPhone is also $30. (I have the same App on both my iPhone and iPod only purchasing it once. The iPad App is a separate App charge. On Boxee Box the App is free. (I also love my Boxee!) I also have the Slingbox on my computer.

I was at a birthday party when the final 4 was on (and NO TV!... who does that!?) Anyway... the four guys I had crouched around my tiny iPhone watching the game thought it was the coolest thing ever, not one complained about the small screen... they couldn't believe when I showed them my program guide with my full cable selection of over 300 channels...and one guy even asked for my number ; )

The Slingbox HD retails for $300.

Only one person can watch the SlingBox remotely at a time... but you can have more than one SlingBox on your account. It plays at 1080 IF you connection is that fast. If not, it has an option that downgrades quality to keep stream feed constant without locking up. This function is excellent.

I'm getting one for my parents without hesitation!!!! My favorite gadget of the year hands down!! I was going to get my parents the cheaper Slingbox Solo, but will get this one instead for the extra quality.

danail5

yoda888 wrote:What if I have a Mac on the client side? Is there a client for that?

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know for sure but it looks like they're not updating it anymore.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/downloads-mac

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
andrewbrown wrote:To those discussing reliability problems... I bought one new (not refurbished) about 18 months ago, and I've never had a problem with it.

I bought a refurbed one after trying the SOLO first. The only problem I have had was having to replace the power supply. Great device.

fireballtp

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fireballtp

I have 1 of these. I also have a Hauppauge Broadway.

I really wish 1 was a clear "winner", I'd sell the 1 i didn't need.

The Slingbox does a really nice job streaming cable TV to my bedroom TV. But the Broadway is FANTASTIC on my Ipad. IMHO the Slingbox Ipad app sucks and isn't worth $30.

Also Broadway customer support seems to be alot better than Slingbox.

So Slingbox wins the PC, while Broadway wins the Ipad.

As far as Android devices go, I'd give the edge to Broadway.

ThunderThighs

Staff

danail5 wrote:Sorry, I don't know for sure but it looks like they're not updating it anymore.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/downloads-mac

I think they're saying that they're not supporting the standalone player on computers any longer. They're moving to a browser-based player called WATCH.

Here's the browsers and systems that are supported. Mac is supported.

FORUM MODERATOR

andrewgbrown

quality posts: 2 Private Messages andrewgbrown
ndesloge wrote:Unofficially, yes-- you can download the Slingplayer desktop client. Since the company has been moving towards browser playback, I'm not sure if it is on Slingbox's website, but you should be able to find it quickly with a search.

Sling does a REALLY good job of trying to hide the desktop client. Here's the link for the Windows application, so you don't have to fool around trying to log into their website every time you want to stream from your device:

http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us

lildetroitmama

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lildetroitmama
ThunderThighs wrote:I think they're saying that they're not supporting the standalone player on computers any longer. They're moving to a browser-based player called WATCH.

Here's the browsers and systems that are supported. Mac is supported.

I'm using the browser-based viewer on my Mac Air.. It is very easy and works well. I just click the "Sling" tab on my bookmark bar and I'm right in..

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

OK, here's the manual, in some kind of .JPG slideshow format (yuck).

http://support.slingbox.com/get/PDF-3000000.html

And here it is in the much nicer .PDF format.

http://support.slingbox.com/attach/1133

qwiktune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qwiktune

Could someone enlighten me on the difference between this unit and the Solo, because I have the Solo but I can't think of justifying on upgrading to this one. I understand the quality is better (though the quality on the solo is fine for me as im not in to many situation where i'd be watching long enough for the quality of the solo to bother me. Also on my cell phone I always wondered if the service was good enough to even run high definition without any glitches (Verizon 3G). So what else do I benefit by this unit besides higher quality?