425riverside

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 425riverside

Can I use this gizmo to substitute for cable TV service? I am trying to figure out how to pay for an Internet connection only, and not have to pay monthly phone and TV .

bosstl729

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bosstl729

was just in best buy the other day and they had it for 199 new.

randywhe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randywhe

can i connect this to a htpc? I’d like to stream content from my htpc which is set up with windows 7, media center, mediabrowser with all of my stored movies, tv shows, etc. I would like to basically access that media on my iphone, ipad, & boxee box in bedroom. I have tried orb & plex but its choppy & doesnt work very well for me. Does anybody have experience with hooking up a slingbox to their htpc to view elsewhere? please share. thanks!

FierceDeityLink1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FierceDeityLink1
425riverside wrote:Can I use this gizmo to substitute for cable TV service? I am trying to figure out how to pay for an Internet connection only, and not have to pay monthly phone and TV .

No.

bosstl729 wrote:was just in best buy the other day and they had it for 199 new.

$299.99 new
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sling+Media+-+The+Slingbox+PRO+HD/9004258.p?id=1218007841283&skuId=9004258

randywhe wrote:can i connect this to a htpc? I’d like to stream content from my htpc which is set up with windows 7, media center, mediabrowser with all of my stored movies, tv shows, etc. I would like to basically access that media on my iphone, ipad, & boxee box in bedroom. I have tried orb & plex but its choppy & doesnt work very well for me. Does anybody have experience with hooking up a slingbox to their htpc to view elsewhere? please share. thanks!

If you have a card that supports component out (and 1080i), maybe. Haven't tried it personally. Running the Slingbox through a 360 was an easier solution for me.

randywhe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randywhe
FierceDeityLink1 wrote:If you have a card that supports component out (and 1080i), maybe. Haven't tried it personally. Running the Slingbox through a 360 was an easier solution for me.

i'll have to check outputs from my video card when i get home. i know it has a few & right now only one i am using is hdmi out to my tv

givemethedeal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages givemethedeal

BUY BRAND NEW AT
$129.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $50.00 (28%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Thursday, April 12?
Order it in the next 3 hours and 36 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
23 new 19 used from $80.00 7 refurbished from $103.00

otaku13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otaku13
givemethedeal wrote:BUY BRAND NEW AT
$129.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $50.00 (28%)

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it delivered Thursday, April 12?
Order it in the next 3 hours and 36 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.
Details
23 new 19 used from $80.00 7 refurbished from $103.00

thats the sling box solo, a good product but only one input and no coaxial input

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn
aleve wrote:I am trying to understand the setup of the Slingbox product. After the initial installation do you need a PC or Mac for anything? The directions indicate you set it up online at www.slingbox.com/getstarted. Is this where the PC/Mac is needed? I see in their FAQ that you would have this Slingbox device and then to watch the feed on another television you would need a Slingbox SOLO or PRO-HD and a Boxee Box. I don't get what the Boxee is needed for here, though I understand you need another Slingbox to receive the signal. Looking at http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingplayer-connected-devices it indicates that you can use a Boxee or Logitech Revue device also as a receiver it appears instead of another Sling device. Am I understanding this correctly?

If you wanted to watch on a computer does this then need to be Windwows or Mac based?

My thought was to use this to send the television signal to others in the house so I could drop the second HD signal that I am tied to right now. Right now I am using a Hauppauge tv tuner card in a linux box running Myth to record programming but it doesn't do HD only my standard channels. So I have linux boxes setup on the other two televisions to receive any recorded programming recorded via the Hauppauge card into the Myth programming. But we are all linux in the house, I do have a dual boot for Windows but it is not primarily used so I wouldn't want to be stuck with using Windows so I want to understand exactly where Windows is required in their configuration.

You need a PC to do the initial configuration. There's an active-X or web control that needs to be downloaded (mine works in both IE and Firefox in Windows).

After you plug your Sling into a router, it will pull a DHCP address. You go to http://watch.slingbox.com/sling_player, download the web control and restart the browser, and it should find your slingbox on the network. Basically then just follow along to set up. It takes about 5-10 minutes to completely set up.

You have to do setup over the web before you can view on a smartphone. I believe you have to do this as well before using a tablet but I can't confirm since I don't own one.

79 woots and counting!

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
aleve wrote:
...I see in their FAQ that you would have this Slingbox device and then to watch the feed on another television you would need a Slingbox SOLO or PRO-HD and a Boxee Box. I don't get what the Boxee is needed for here, though I understand you need another Slingbox to receive the signal...

No - someone can correct me, but as far as I can tell you cannot connect one slingbox to another as a PLAYER. I.E. the Solo can't play video from the PRO-HD in another room. I think there used to be a 'sling-catcher' device but they don't sell that anymore. The Boxee Box plays the role of sling-player for your TV.

This is the exact problem I've been waiting to solve as I want to be able to watch my basement DVR on my bedroom TV. It would seem then that I need to get a boxee box as well and that's another $180! Does anyone know if the Monsoon Vulkano can also act as a player of a different Vulkano?

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

PerlAddict

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PerlAddict
drtofu101 wrote:Only problem with watch Slingbox using your browser is that it not compatible with Windows XP
see link
http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000075.html

That's not necessarily true. Per that page, "N/S = Not Supported. This browser/system combination is not recommended for use with the current Setup or Watch features of Slingbox.com."

The Android SlingPlayer Mobile app is not officially supported for use with the Slingbox Classic and pops up a message saying it may not work when I start it up on my phone, but it's been going strong for over a year anyway. So just because they don't officially support it doesn't mean it definitely won't work.

I got in on this deal because 1) I wanted to stream to my tablet, and the Classic doesn't work with the Android tablet app, and 2) I want my widescreen! The Classic still works awesome and I love having the multiple input available, but it's a real bummer always getting my HD signal chopped off on the sides because the Classic only supports 4:3 streaming.

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
aleve wrote:In the time since I started to post someone did post a link to the software I didn't see on Sling's website and there was more discussion I reviewed that was added. It looks like this is only Windows based so unless I use a Boxee, Logitech Revue or another Sling device to receive the signal this cannot be sent to another TV. The same with access via a computer it needs to have Windows or Mac.

So this is what happens, you connect this SlingBox to your cable or cable box. Then you can get that Signal on these devices:

- Windows Computer (IE, Firefox, Chrome, or Desktop App)
- Mac Computer (Firefox, Safari, Chrom, Desktop App)
- iPhone
- iPad
- Android Phone/Tablet
- Boxee Box
- Google TV (Logitech Revue, Sony BluRay Player, Sony TV)
- Sling Catcher
- Flash enabled device (Facebook App)

davidgruza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidgruza

I bought one of these in 2009. To this day, I have never had a problem with it. It's primary function is for me to record/watch sports when I am working in China. It works with both my DVR and my cable box. I normally use the Slingbox program when on one of my own computers, but I like the option of the web-browser based option for when I am using a computer that is not mine. When at home, I often run it on my second monitor. It also works quite well on my android phone. The only issue is if your remote internet location is slow. Sometimes the speed in my hotels in China are so slow that it can't compensate. However, it does a pretty good job of adjusting video quality to whatever speed your connection is. The quality issues with the capacitors have had me on edge, but 3 years in and I haven't had any issues... (knock on wood.)

yodaut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yodaut

I bought one of these from an amazon lightning deal about 3 years ago and I've been lucky enough to have very few problems with it.

For streaming TV content over the wifi/LAN in my place, it works great. With the browser plugin or PC client, the video quality is great and turns your device into a second HDTV (sort of).

Streaming quality on the go is really heavily dependent on your internet connections upload capabilities. If your home Internet supports 1.5+ MB upstream, you should be fine viewing away from home. Anything less than that and you will see a definite streaming quality degradation. However, the player software (desktop and browser) have adaptive streaming that seems to work pretty well.

I can't attest to problems with the capacitors, but I've been lucky enough that my device has worked this long without any real issue.

And yes, sling does charge for support incidents (which sucks). And they charge $30 for each mobile app platform. The iphone/ipad one is $30, the windows mobile one is $30, the android phone one is $30, the android tablet one is $30, etc... which sucks. And they don't support the desktop clients for PC or MAC anymore (which sucks).

The worst problem I've had with the device? The desktop player and browser plugin have to phone home to the Sling "mothership" and authenticate your account before you can connect. When Sling's servers go down (as they did for about a week in August 2010), your slingbox becomes a fancy paper weight.

"A note if you have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box connected to your TV via HDMI, plugging component cables from your cable box to the Slingbox will result in audio only and a "no video detected message on your laptop/mobile device. Seems that particular cable box is designed to lock out simultaneous use of both connections. Not sure if that's the case with all HD cable boxes as this is the only model I've ever had."

A note about this: This is not a hardware limitation of the SA-8300HD box (and most other cable boxes, etc.), it's an HDCP restriction placed on the cable box by your television content provider. Generally speaking, if you have your cable box connected via HDMI and the device completes its HDCP "handshake" (ie. it's plugged into something turned on, like a Logitech Revue or an A/V Receiver), component output is disabled. This is a software control pushed down, and within the last few weeks my cable provider or (junky) cable box has lifted this restriction.

On a final note, the HDMI support on the SA-8300 is *awful* and if you're connecting to your TV via HDMI with one of these boxes, I suggest you swap out for a new one.

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

Hmmm....severely contemplating picking this up as I need to upgrade my Slingbox Classic/Original and Slingbox Pro.....

Anyone attest to the reliability of the SLINGBOX PRO-HD vs the older models??

The original is built like a rock and has yet to fail a single time, my Pro and SlingLinks both needed to be replaced (in warranty).

Reviews of the PRO-HD point to declining quality in the units vs the originals.

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

freakout1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freakout1

Is there a reason the SlingBox doesn't have built-in WiFi to connect to your router?

Adam

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
Goosedude wrote:Hmmm....severely contemplating picking this up as I need to upgrade my Slingbox Classic/Original and Slingbox Pro.....

Anyone attest to the reliability of the SLINGBOX PRO-HD vs the older models??

The original is built like a rock and has yet to fail a single time, my Pro and SlingLinks both needed to be replaced (in warranty).

Reviews of the PRO-HD point to declining quality in the units vs the originals.

I have had my Pro-HD for over 2 years now with no problems whatsoever.

yelli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yelli

And just a friendly reminder that you need good bandwidth ON BOTH ENDS.

We have a Slingbox and love it. We were expats in Germany and let me tell ya....German TV sux! So eventually, we discovered this magical device that let us watch TV (In English!) at our house in Germany. My parents had the slingbox connected to their cable tv box that was located in their basement (but not the fastest Internet connection).

We even used a projector and would let our other American expat friends come over and watch things like the SuperBowl or other shows we couldn't get in Germany. We got major expat points for that.

yelli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yelli
425riverside wrote:Can I use this gizmo to substitute for cable TV service? I am trying to figure out how to pay for an Internet connection only, and not have to pay monthly phone and TV .

Yes if you have someone willing to let you use their extra cable box (we use my Parents' cable box). They gave birth to me, raised me, helped me through college and now they give me free cable! I deserve it!!!

fiosman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiosman
freakout1 wrote:Is there a reason the SlingBox doesn't have built-in WiFi to connect to your router?

Because the quality is better over Ethernet

yoda888

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yoda888

I got my slingbox today! Woot!

This is my setup. (slinging inside the house mainly at this point).

ATT Uverse Motorola VIP-1225 receiver (this isn't an option during the slingbox setup)

For fullscreen viewing, if I have my MAIN tv on(where the DVR and slingbox are at), then I get true fullscreen sling'd to the other tv. However, if I main TV powered off, I get a smaller screen being sling'd. Any ideas why? (I think this stupid DVR is too "smart" because it detects if the main TV is on or not. If not, it goes into a power saving mode of sorts)

The slingbox is connected via component cables.

Thanks!

jbeige

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbeige

I got my slingbox on Monday, and I am so excited to use it! But... It doesn't seem to work yet. The screen has lines on it like crazy, seems like the v-sync is off or something, not really sure.. but it's unwatchable. It's connected via composite cables to my directv box. I have disconnected the hdmi cable that went to the tv, but that didn't help. I tried it with the browser plug in on my windows 7 system, my macbook, and with the android tablet app (that I paid $30 for!).. Same results everywhere. The sound is fine, but the video's all messed up. I couldn't find a support contact on slingbox's site, but I posted to their support forums in hopes of an answer.. anyone have any advice?

My forum post is here

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jbeige wrote:I got my slingbox on Monday, and I am so excited to use it! But... It doesn't seem to work yet. The screen has lines on it like crazy, seems like the v-sync is off or something, not really sure.. but it's unwatchable. It's connected via composite cables to my directv box. I have disconnected the hdmi cable that went to the tv, but that didn't help. I tried it with the browser plug in on my windows 7 system, my macbook, and with the android tablet app (that I paid $30 for!).. Same results everywhere. The sound is fine, but the video's all messed up. I couldn't find a support contact on slingbox's site, but I posted to their support forums in hopes of an answer.. anyone have any advice?

My forum post is here

Sorry you are having problems with your Slingbox.

To find the support info, log into your Slingbox account and then look for the Contact Technical Support link on the bottom right side of most pages.

That will take you to contact info for your region.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jbeige

ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry you are having problems with your Slingbox.

To find the support info, log into your Slingbox account and then look for the Contact Technical Support link on the bottom right side of most pages.

That will take you to contact info for your region.

Thanks! I guess I missed that. I will contact them today and hopefully get things resolved!

jbeige

jbeige wrote:Thanks! I guess I missed that. I will contact them today and hopefully get things resolved!

FYI.. After talking with tech support in a chat window, they said that my unit is defective and they will replace it. However they can't do a replacement from a chat session, so he gave my case number, and the phone number I need to call to get a replacement. I plan to call tomorrow morning. If anything out of the ordinary happens, I'll be sure to update everyone here. I expect it to be straight forward and simple.

Thanks!

smatrixt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smatrixt

Got mine today and it didn't come with the IR cord. Awesome. Ordered one on Amazon so I can get it quickly, but I'm going to talk to Slingbox support tomorrow, I guess. Or is it a woot problem?

britpj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages britpj
Supersox wrote:I slung one of these against a wall once. Apparently the "sling" in Slingbox does not mean the same as slinging a frisbee across the yard. Now what to do with the 1000 or so pieces of my old Slingbox...

I think I am in love with you......r humor.

britpj

cgodmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgodmer
smatrixt wrote:Got mine today and it didn't come with the IR cord. Awesome. Ordered one on Amazon so I can get it quickly, but I'm going to talk to Slingbox support tomorrow, I guess. Or is it a woot problem?

I didn't receive a IR cord in my box either, tried to contact woot a few days ago and haven't heard back. =/

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

cgodmer wrote:I didn't receive a IR cord in my box either, tried to contact woot a few days ago and haven't heard back. =/

Sorry about that! We're looking into it and we'll update you via email when we hear back.

waynestatemac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages waynestatemac

The unit I received is defective and will have to send back.

I have 4 other slingboxes (2 classic, & 2 of the previous HD models SB200-100). When I hooked this one up it would not accept a IP address. I reset the box a few times and after a couple of hours it magically had the network light lit. Set the unit up and worked for a couple of days, however a few days later I go to remotely watch the box and its down again. Rest of my boxes are working perfect. Something fishy with my unit.

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

waynestatemac wrote:The unit I received is defective and will have to send back.

I have 4 other slingboxes (2 classic, & 2 of the previous HD models SB200-100). When I hooked this one up it would not accept a IP address. I reset the box a few times and after a couple of hours it magically had the network light lit. Set the unit up and worked for a couple of days, however a few days later I go to remotely watch the box and its down again. Rest of my boxes are working perfect. Something fishy with my unit.

Oh noes! I don't see an email from you yet, so we're going to contact you shortly. Check your junk mail folder if you haven't received an email from us within 24 hours.

fuzzyinc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzyinc

Same here but mine only works for a few minutes.

Woot would we be able to get another unit for just a refund? Sounds like the QA for this wasn't the best.

tmcneil1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmcneil1

Just realized there's no Remote Control IR Cable with my Slingbox. What should I do, contact Woot or manufacturer?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tmcneil1 wrote:Just realized there's no Remote Control IR Cable with my Slingbox. What should I do, contact Woot or manufacturer?

We won't have parts for replacement so contact Sling first. If you have any issues though, contact service@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jbeige

jbeige wrote:FYI.. After talking with tech support in a chat window, they said that my unit is defective and they will replace it. However they can't do a replacement from a chat session, so he gave my case number, and the phone number I need to call to get a replacement. I plan to call tomorrow morning. If anything out of the ordinary happens, I'll be sure to update everyone here. I expect it to be straight forward and simple.

Thanks!

I got my replacement unit yesterday, and it works great! Especially with my Toshiba Thrive I got off of woot!