Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

An artist's favorite subject is him- or herself, often gazing out of frame to the right, for some reason. Here are slices of eight attempts by great artists to capture their own radiance. Can you name the artsts/subjects?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

McGurk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages McGurk

2 for 8... not too shabby for a guy who took 2 semesters of art history.

hefty244

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hefty244

I missed 3,4,6 and 7. I really only guessed at 5, but I'm gonna take it!

glibdud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glibdud

Well, I got 2... and considering they're the only 2 I've actually heard of, I think that's pretty good.

duffergeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duffergeek

5 for 8, got one wrong and didn't know the two most recent.

spilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spilk

1. Van Gogh
2. Norman Rockwell
3. Cindy Sherman
4. Albrecht Durer
5. Paul Gauguin
6 .???
7. Egon Schiele
8. Frida Kahlo

ssdpress

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssdpress

Wow, 6 out of 8 correct. Surprised myself, but figure my art degree has paid off. ;) Missed 4 and 6.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I also only knew 2 of them. And is it just me, or does that portrait of Norman Rockwell look just a little like Woody Allen?

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

3/8. Not too bad considering that I hadn't even heard of half those names before today.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

Five for me. I have never taken an art class, but I spent a lot of time at the Art Institute when I lived near Chicago (including attending a combined van Gogh and Gauguin show), and I saw that Salma Hayek movie.

The photographer I got as a WAG (I think she was in Pecker, but she was older then, but, you know, petite female New York photographer), and #2 was pretty obvious.

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

I got 3 correct (1, 2, 8). I actually got a 4.0 in an art history class while in college - though that was many moons ago.

rayray099

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rayray099
ssdpress wrote:Wow, 6 out of 8 correct. Surprised myself, but figure my art degree has paid off. ;) Missed 4 and 6.

Same here. Had no idea who 6 was