3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba CAMILEO 1080p Camcorder
$49.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

music2video

quality posts: 3 Private Messages music2video

I'm a sucker for pocket camcorders, but I must say I have never heard of the Toshiba Camileo, WELL DONE WOOT!

theCan

quality posts: 6 Private Messages theCan

I've wasted this exact sum of money on a product with far lesser capabilities. Good deal.

lol; w00t

901Memphis

quality posts: 24 Private Messages 901Memphis

I had bad luck with the last $50 hd video recorder i got off woot, granted it was a Sylvania, i hope you guys who buy this have better sound and video quality out of this.

dmw804

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmw804

Great for uploading a video of the unveiling of your next bag o' crap.

jmp8910

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jmp8910

Good Price! Goes for $119 from the manufacturer.
http://us.toshiba.com/video-electronics/camcorders/camileo-b10/

cake eater

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cake eater

just got a couple of 64gb cards so yeah i gonna try this. yay woot

forum option changes may take a few minutes. just relax

cheesefood

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cheesefood

I bought the Camileo BW-10 from a Woot-Off because it is waterproof. This camera basically functions like a cell-phone camera. It's not good in indoor light but very nice outside.

The waterproof model was $10 more. Honestly, it still beats carrying around my iPhone 3GS in my pocket at the pool and the quality is about the same indoors.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

glazedfaith

quality posts: 33 Private Messages glazedfaith

I sure hope this one is LTE!

[/sarcasm]

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

I have always had good luck with Toshiba, No experience with this camcorder but if it's like their laptops and their cameras than it has to be awesome!

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

digital zoom is NOT a good feature. Also,read the 2 reviews on Amazon neither buyer would recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Camileo-Recording-2-Inch-Screen/dp/B004WZNGA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334207673&sr=8-1

ylrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ylrick

Was going to buy... But the reviews on Toshiba's own site are scary! It's not much better on Amazon. Seems that for close to the same price (85$) the Cisco Flip UltraHD has better reviews.

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Everytime I see these pocket-sized camcorders I'm blown away how by how far technology has come.

Anyone remember when it looked like this:

My uncle had one like that. It made him look like a person undergoing conversion to a Dalek.

Now we have ones that would make a 1960's James Bond jealous, but it's still not good enough if it's not hi-def.

Sorry, end rant/nostalgic thoughts.

fourlane77

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fourlane77

If this one is anything like the waterproof Toshiba Camileo version, then (minus the waterproof part) I feel this camcorder will work great, especially outdoors. Plus its not neon yellow...

vote. vote. vote. vote. vote. vote.

cheesefood

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cheesefood
dliidlii wrote:digital zoom is NOT a good feature.

And in all honesty, zoom on a hand-held would be terrible. The amount of shaking would be like a video camera on the head of a Parkinson's patient using a jackhammer during an earthquake.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

RNLori

quality posts: 6 Private Messages RNLori

This seems like a great little camcorder to bring into concerts, or sporting events. The battery life at 1 hour and 40 minutes may not be enough, but Amazon has spare batteries for about ten bucks. http://www.amazon.com/KLIC-5000-NP-30-VM-VBA100-Replacement-Lithium-Ion/dp/B004O8Q0AI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334207378&sr=1-1

Lostinservice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lostinservice

This looks like a brilliant cam to mount to a bicycle to record encounters with aggressive drivers and also any awesome rides. I was looking for something like this a little while ago after a dollar cab tried to run me into a parked car on purpose. Cops don't press charges unless there's video evidence or they see it themselves so nothing was done. If I had one of these, that driver would have had his license revoked. Unfortunately, I'm all out of funds to get one, but if any cyclists are reading this, do yourself a favor and get this and record every one of your rides. Erase the ones that are uneventful (majority) but if god forbid anything does happen, you'll be glad you have it on video.

dedicateddad

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dedicateddad

Loooking at all the reviews I could find, it seems like there's an issue wherein it won't turn-on on demand.

Clearly this is an ISSUE!

OTOH is this why all the refur8s are availa8le - 8ecause they fixed the pro8lem?

Sure wish there was a way to know!

Sounds like "square-trade warranty" would 8e a DEFINITE requirement for this one!

Still on the fence, personally!

Now if I could just find a laptop where the "8ee" key worked!!

(no joke - on my key8oard, the letter 8etween v and n just QUIT!)

Replacement K8 on order!

MrSlug

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrSlug

Camileo...Camileo!
Camileo...Camileo!
Camileo, Figaro!
Magnifico-o-o-o-o!

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

This Toshiba arguably takes these palm-type camcorders as far as they can go. In fact, there probably won't be many innovations in the future because these gadgets have mostly been replaced by high-functioning smartphones. A big advantage of a smartphone is that you can instantly email your photos and videos to friends or post them to social media. That said, this is one of the best palmcorders on paper. It beats the more famous Flip by far. Then again, the Flip is the worst name-brand camcorder, in my opinion.

PROS
- Full 1080p HD video
- Uses SD cards. That's right, easily available full size SD cards, no MicroSD. Unlike the Flip, which has no removable memory, this allows you to easily continue recording without ever running out of room. With the Flip, you'll need to take you laptop on vacation to free the built-in memory.
- Uses a Backside Illuminated sensor which may improve low light abilities. for what it's worth, the new Samsung digital camera also uses a BSI sensor, but some critics say that low light abilities are still poor.
- Has 16X digital zoom which is the highest I've seen. Most palmcorders only have 2-6X digital zoom. Those who claim that digital zoom is no better than cropping, that;s not true. Go to Wikipedia to see why.
- Has HDMI output to display full 1080p on your HDTV
- Has Digital image stabilization which helps steady videos (but may add unwanted artifacts to the image)
- Has other goodies like face tracking which helps exposure, time lapse photography, motion detection (to act as a security or nature camera), etc.
- Can function as a webcam -- VERY RARE yet often requested feature!!! I'm not sure why so many people ask for this feature since virtually all laptop and netbooks have a webcam built in.
- Uses the MP4 container, which is much more universal than the Mac-specific MOV format
- Uses H264 compression, which offers the highest compression today. You can 4x as much video using H24 than MJPEG, which cheaper palmcorders use
- Has the highest resolution still mode I've ever seen on a camcorder 16mp, albeit interpolated. The Flip doesnt even have a still mode.
- The description claims that it has a flash but I'm skeptical. It may simply be a bright LED to offers a bit of illumination. Still, that's an improvement over other models which have no lighting at all.
- Can take 60fps videos for high speed objects

CONS
- The sensor is only 5mp so the 16mp stills are interpolated. In other words, it uses an algorithm to artificially put lines (dots) in based on surrounding lines. That makes the resolution higher than what was actually captured.
- Digital stabilization not optical. That adds noise and may cause it to skip frames in low light
- Digital zoom, not optical. The zoom is then also artificial, and you;re effectively making the image lower resolution. But to be honest, because these palmcorders are flat, it's very rare to have the protruding optical zoom. I've only seen it on a Sanyo.
- Webcam is only VGA (640x480) which is 10+ y/o technology. But still, very few camcorders can even function as a webcam.
- I'm not positive but the sound may be monaural, which is inexcusable for a 1080p video.
- A BIG PEEVE OF MINE: YOU CAN'T PAUSE WHILE RECORDING!!!! That means you'll end up with lots of small snippets of the same event which wastes space and time (to have to stitch them together) -- and annoying to play since you have to forward to the next snippet constantly. To be fair, virtually no camcorder under $200 can pause while recording -- except for Samsungs. Even their $60 digital cameras can pause while recording videos.
- Fixed focus lens and not auto-focus.

============

- According to the description, this doesn't have a touchscreen. Yet Toshiba's website says that the B10 has a touchscreen.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

Here's the PDF version of the manual, in both English and Spanish.

http://www.go-gddq.com/down/2011-07/11072208165602.pdf

sdc100

WOOT STAFF ... can you answer this?

According to your description, this doesn't have a touchscreen. Yet Toshiba's website says that the B10 has a touchscreen.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdc100 wrote:WOOT STAFF ... can you answer this?

According to your description, this doesn't have a touchscreen. Yet Toshiba's website says that the B10 has a touchscreen.

I will certainly ask. Neither the Quick Start Guide and the specs on the page you liked mention it. I'm gonna guess no.

Inky or I will post an answer in the morning.

UPDATE: It DOES NOT have a touch screen.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100

dliidlii wrote:digital zoom is NOT a good feature. Also,read the 2 reviews on Amazon neither buyer would recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Camileo-Recording-2-Inch-Screen/dp/B004WZNGA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334207673&sr=8-1

Would you rather that it not have digital zoom? While it's true that optical zoom is preferable, having digital zoom is better to no zoom at all -- in some situations.

Most people mistakenly believe that digital zooming is no better than cropping the photo and then enlarging on the computer. Wikipedia has an excellent article on why this isn't true. It is often preferable to have any negative artifacts while the photo is taken than to introduce it later on your computer.

As for the reviews, a major problem is that users have unrealistic expectations, i.e. they're comparing it to a full size camcorder or a digital still camera. For example, some people don;t like the wimpy LED flash. They don't take into account, however, that almost no other palm-type camcorder has any flash at all. Others complain about the still photo quality, yet ignore the fact that it's no worse than that on any other camcorder, and in fact, this Toshiba offers higher resolution. The Flip doesn't even do stills.

dnecsoi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnecsoi

It will get to the point that you record with your eye and store it to a brain location

bradhanson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradhanson

I could really use a camera and this is perfect on paper, but the reviews are scaring me.

bill45005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bill45005

I have the waterproof one and it is great! have to realize that for the money it is hard to beat easier to use than cell fone and easier to hook up to tv to view . I give it a big thumbs up just dont expect a $400 cam for $50

william e sannes

suttonabc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc

Does anyone know how well this would work for something like a night race or night football game? (Something where there are lights from light posts, but you're in the stands.) It sounds like a good deal for the money, but that's the only thing I'd be using it to video, so...if it would work well, I'd like to get it, but some of the comments about lighting and it not having auto focus sounds like it might be a problem. Thanks!

estrellasdelkaraoke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages estrellasdelkaraoke

I am kind of confused...
Puerto Rico does not seems to be included in the destination city but it is on the billing list. I want one!!!.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
sdc100 wrote:WOOT STAFF ... can you answer this?

Toshiba's own "Toshiba Unboxed" video for this model makes no mention of it, so I would put about a 0.00001% chance of it possessing a touchscreen. Manufacturers are really proud to sport touchscreens, and there is no reason to leave such a feature out of the video. More likely, their web guy may have omitted a step of his "Copy, paste, edit" on the page. I'm guessing Edit.

Incidentally, how wide is the thing? Does anybody know of a way to synchronize two and stitch the videos together to make a 3D video? There's gotta be hackers working on this.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

So-called "digital zoom" is universally condemned by every photo magazine as a cheap marketing ploy of no value. It is simply in camera cropping, reducing the resolution of the image proportionally. People think they are shooting at, for example, 10 MP when they are actually shooting digitally zoomed with a final resolution of 2 MP (cropped).

Adding a 16x digital zoom to what amounts to a video box camera is a sham. Those who use it out of ignorance will end up with the terrible videos they they deserve. Whoever wrote the Wiki on it being OK or better than nothing is seriously misinformed and is very much holding a minority opinion.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
suttonabc wrote:Does anyone know how well this would work for something like a night race or night football game? (Something where there are lights from light posts, but you're in the stands.) It sounds like a good deal for the money, but that's the only thing I'd be using it to video, so...if it would work well, I'd like to get it, but some of the comments about lighting and it not having auto focus sounds like it might be a problem. Thanks!

Old Army saying, "Get the right tool for the job!" Trying to use a $50 non-zoom camera for a night football game is not a good idea. It's like trying to use a little compact still camera switch a f/5.6 lens to get a tight action shot of your kid playing sports. Now, if you just want a wide shot of a bunch of players running around, that's a different story.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

lpeterson1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lpeterson1

A question for those who have this camera:
Can this camera record and charge the battery at the same time?

Context:
I record indoor classroom presentations, a session lasts 75-170min. Last year, I purchased a small Kodak video camera. Battery in my model lasts for a 75 min class, but not the 3 hour class. One can not charge the camera and record at the same time, and the battery in the model I purchased is not replaceable. I do not need a super high quality recording, but recording is always indoors and I can sit relatively close to the presenters, 15-20 feet away generally. I am looking for other suggestions if this Toshiba will not work. Thanks!

mrmadness2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmadness2
bradhanson wrote:I could really use a camera and this is perfect on paper, but the reviews are scaring me.

Scaring you??? It's like fifty dollars. Just buy it and use it once, then if you don't like it throw it in the trash. I'll spend fifty dollars today on paper towels.

RRC2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RRC2000

So it pretty much sounds like this product is directed to those of us who don't have a semi-modern smart phone (or at least one we'd like to use for taking videos).

glubash

quality posts: 11 Private Messages glubash

Is it just me or does the "CAMILEO" label look like a name tag that was printed with one of those hand held labelers and slapped on there?

suttonabc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suttonabc
radi0j0hn wrote:Old Army saying, "Get the right tool for the job!" Trying to use a $50 non-zoom camera for a night football game is not a good idea. It's like trying to use a little compact still camera switch a f/5.6 lens to get a tight action shot of your kid playing sports. Now, if you just want a wide shot of a bunch of players running around, that's a different story.

Okay. Thanks! I have a regular camera that will make videos, but they aren't good for that, and it DOES have auto focus, so I was afraid that might not be as good as it sounded.
I appreciate the info.! Have a great day! Happy Wooting!

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

I don't get it... I can't text, tweet or Facebook with this thing, or play games, read books, listen to my tunes, or even make calls.

What good is this?