escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

This computer uses the first generation i5 processor. The second generation processors (Sandy Bridge) are better. My computer has a second generation i3 2330M with a Passmark CPU Mark of 2736, this i5 has a Passmark of 2388 (the higher the better per the CPU Benchmark website). Here is an example of an i3 having a higher rating than an i5.

No HDMI

No USB 3

But the display of 1366 x 768 is pretty standard for a 15” and a 3 year warranty is nice.

panthiest

quality posts: 17 Private Messages panthiest
nkull wrote:The E series on the Lenovo site for the same price has a slower processor, and it is an EDGE... IMO, the EDGE is crap in comparison. I have an EDGE and I hate it, I have been a long time ThinkPad fan and the edge looks and feels cheap, the whole Edge line is a disgrace to the high quality ThinkPad name...

Let me guess, you have an edge that's a few years old- check out the improvements they've made on the new models. They really are comparable to the rest of the thinkpads now.

Firefighter51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Firefighter51

Does anyone know of a Dual Core i5, 15" laptop with Win7 for a cheaper price?

ladytyphoid

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladytyphoid
Dianrez wrote:"built like a tank" "spilled water on it and it still works"...well, considering my experience, get it in writing. My college age twins each had a ThinkPad, and at different times, different circumstances, both had cats that tipped over glasses of water nearby. Fried both laptops. The company wanted $750 each just to open them up and fix them, not counting parts. I'd pass. One can replace laptops cheaper than that.

When the water was spilled, what did your kids do? The Thinkpads have a design that filters the water out through channels and down through holes in the bottom. But if you grab the computer and tip it, it will spill the water out of the channels and all over the system board to fry it. Essentially if you don't let the engineering work, then it'll fry like any other laptop.

Shinespark

quality posts: 33 Private Messages Shinespark
panthiest wrote:Mines an edge. They get a bad rap. Besides the faulty logic board which could happen to any computer regardless of price, it's been amazing. Very sturdy, has a trackpoint, solid feeling keyboard, etc.

It was 539 and came with a i5-2410M, 6gb of ram, 15.6" antiglare screen, and a 320 gb 7200 rpm hd.

Remind me what makes edges so bad?

Two words. Chiclet. Keyboard. And no magnesium.

forddetailer wrote:Great buy with the exception of that ridiculous display port instead of HDMI.When was the last time you saw a monitor or TV with display port input? Sure,there are adapters and cables,but if it's not "display port++",guess what?,no audio folks!! HP also continues to provide this failed precursor to HDMI.As a Lenovo/IBM lover and owner for many years,this is really disappointing.

Displayport supports audio output. It also doesn't necessarily use the ridculous HDCP.
It's not a "precursor to HDMI" in fact it was developed afterward. It was intended as a logical replacement for D-sub and DVI ports.
High end monitors often have Displayport inputs.

forddetailer wrote:NOT the future-It was a miserable failure six years ago when it was introduced,and continues to be, due to lack of compatible peripherals.

Why are more and more video cards coming with it standard, as well as the Intel push on a ton of ultrabooks and MBPs?

escalante wrote:This computer uses the first generation i5 processor. The second generation processors (Sandy Bridge) are much better. My computer has a second generation i3 2330M with a Passmark CPU Mark of 2736, this i5 has a Passmark of 2388 (the higher the better). Here is an example of an i3 having a higher rating than an i5.

No HDMI

No USB 3

But the display of 1366 x 768 is pretty standard for a 15” and a 3 year warranty is nice.

Your parroting of benchmarks reveals your unfamiliarity with the actual numbers involved.

Seriously, folks. A DP adapter is like $6-7.

Lawya

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lawya

Lenovo always manufactured the IBM ThinkPad. They sold the brand but retained the customer service.

nomadxxi wrote:Bottom line, I have never considered buying anything but a ThinkPad. Supposedly the ThinkPad engineers from IBM moved to Lenovo when they bought the brand.

My wife has been through 2 HP's, a Dell, and a MacBook Pro. Now she's looking for the next one because they're all not working anymore. now she wants an X130e

My Thinkpad (X301) has outlasted them without any repair. It's been dropped from the top of a hotel luggage cart onto stone floors. water's been spilled on it, stepped on, etc. There's no damage.

I like to toss it around on the couch or the carpet in front of people, they freak out and I tell them, "relax, it's not a Mac"
W
I let the baby bang the crap out of the keyboard, no need to worry.

Lenovo has a facility in North Carolina,
(not sure if it's greenville), I haven't needed repair, but they're quick for shipping out accessories.

blakewidmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakewidmer

Does this have an integrated webcam? The picture looks like it does but I didn't see any mention in the specs.

Shinespark

Lawya wrote:Lenovo always manufactured the IBM ThinkPad. They sold the brand but retained the customer service.

Okay, that's just a flat out lie.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
Shinespark wrote:Okay, that's just a flat out lie.

Wow. A "lie"? Really? Not an "error" or a misstatement? Or (shudder) a disagreement about the facts?

Wow. A "lie."

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Bring out your links, everyone! Looks like a throwdown!

I'm just hanging out, really.

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
panthiest wrote:Let me guess, you have an edge that's a few years old- check out the improvements they've made on the new models. They really are comparable to the rest of the thinkpads now.

To anyone that reads this, please keep in mind that this Woot is NOT an edge so my comments do not apply to this system which I think is a great deal, but instead apply to a system that people are comparing it to.

My EDGE is just over a year old, ordered from Lenovo --- Thinkpad's have been the same for many years in many ways, and the standard for quality expected from them by those of us who have owned many of them is very high. ... I'm sorry but the Edge just does not meet this standard, deviates too much from the ThinkPad design, and is just not good for the ThinkPad name. IMO. Maybe they have improved, but I can be upset that the cheesy keyboard has left markings on my screen when the laptop is shut... It's the only ThinkPad that does not latch the lid in the closed position. It feels cheap, and looks cheap in comparison to other ThinkPad models, and from what I can see the keyboard is still crap.

nathdr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathdr

L series are a good laptop if you are going to be traveling and/or lugging it around a lot. They will take a beating and keep on going. Also like others have mentioned this has a 3 year warranty, and IBM has always treated me right

makphisto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makphisto
inkycatz wrote:Bring out your links, everyone! Looks like a throwdown!

I hate when mom and dad fight!

Well parents are the same no matter time nor place / So to you other kids all across the land / Take it from me / Parents just don't understand

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
blakewidmer wrote:Does this have an integrated webcam? The picture looks like it does but I didn't see any mention in the specs.

According to Lenovo's website it does have a webcam.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/2598xc3.html

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
makphisto wrote:I hate when mom and dad fight!

Just get into the fetal position and everything will be alright.

bradfordjeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradfordjeff

Good enough for me.

ratledge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratledge

Great deal, but the processor is two generations old. i5-34xx/35xx is the 'current' generation ("2012") processor.

gak0090

quality posts: 79 Private Messages gak0090

I concur, the person did flat out lie.

ThinkPad is a line of laptop computers designed, developed and sold by IBM but now produced by Lenovo. They are known for their boxy black design, which was modeled after a traditional Japanese lunchbox.[1] Lenovo purchased IBM's personal computer business and acquired the ThinkPad brand in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
joe43wv wrote:According to Lenovo's website it does have a webcam.

http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops/2598xc3.html

Yup.

And in the specs here in the Woot posting, it says "Webcam: lowlight sensitive."

cmacrun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmacrun

Someone mentioned chiclet keyboard...just wait for this year's Thinkpad lineup and be ready to embrace chiclets.

coolman01231

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coolman01231

In for One. Can't wait to read my Lightining Lad comics on it!!!!!!!!!!!

Always craving that hard quality post.

andy1988

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andy1988

I am a big user of ARCgis, does anyone know if this would be a good computer for this program? Looks good but don't know too much.

jankdc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jankdc

I have an 11 year old thinkpad that I use every day. I've dropped it 3x now and it is still going. I'm looking to replace it this year with a T-series.

This is definitely a good deal, better than what I'm currently using, but I know I would be dissapointed with the display.

waggy401

quality posts: 2 Private Messages waggy401

My wife has an old IBM X41 with the flip-around screen and stylus so you can use it like a tablet. I'm not sure how old it is - it's very slow now and has a small (60 Gb) proprietary hard drive you can't find anywhere now. But it's still a fantastic, reliable laptop. Annotating in Word with the stylus is very fun, and for me much better than the keyboard.

When this one dies, I'll definitely get another if they are still making them (they still were last time I checked).

Use that info for what you will.

fisherhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fisherhaus

but you'll still be able to depend on it 6 years or more down the road. Try that with an Apple product...

I do, and I LOVE my Apple PowerBook 5300! It's about 16 years down the road (I THINK I bought it in 1996, I can't be certain at this time....), and OS 8.1 does just fine for typing letters, notes, other miscellany and mundane matters. Yes, life has mundane matters -- Email and journals/notes being the greatest drain of time and effort. The 12 MB RAM module is a marvel of efficiency, as you can imagine. (Yes, 12 MEGA-Bytes!) I use the PB for notes/journals. The 2.5" floppies are dirt cheap and plentiful!

(I read the messaging instructions and corrected this entry a few comments below... Don't waste your time yucking it up on this mistake. I don't do code! It is too 'DOS' for me.)

dasnicholas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnicholas

Does anyone know the full model# of the laptop?

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
gak0090 wrote:To make that sort of comment you obviously don't have any clue as to the functionality of a laptop vs an IPAD. So you can keep taking pictures on your IPAD of your cat and looking at them in brilliant high definition while the rest of us with real jobs and lives use software that can't be replicated in "APPS"

My sentiments exactly.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

fisherhaus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fisherhaus
Anorion wrote:but you'll still be able to depend on it 6 years or more down the road. Try that with an Apple product...

I have. And I LOVE my Apple PowerBook 5300! It's about 16 years down the road (I THINK I bought it in 1996, I can't be certain at this time....), and OS 8.1 does just fine for typing letters, notes, other miscellany and mundane matters. Yes, life has mundane matters -- Email and journals/notes being the greatest drain of time and effort. The 12 MB RAM module is a marvel of efficiency, as you can imagine. (Yes, 12 MEGA-Bytes!) I use the PB for notes/journals. The 2.5" floppies are dirt cheap and plentiful!

BobbyCannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobbyCannon
Shinespark wrote:You're supposed to be looking at screen instead of the keys as you type.

I wish I could up vote this. Right on.

Tip: You could be like me and learn Dvorak. That way you cannot look down. Oh and purchase you a good DAS keyboard with no markings. Now that's a WOOT!

pkphilip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pkphilip

i5 is i5, still beats the T9500 on my T500.

I do agree that roll cage chasis is the best.

ithad2bu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ithad2bu

Just bought one after checking stats/prices against BJ's wholesale--this is $150 cheaper than anything comparable at the club. The win7Pro and the i5 processor more than outweigh the lack of RAM, which I can upgrade myself. This will be my second Lenovo, testimony to it's durability.

Shinespark

BobbyCannon wrote:I wish I could up vote this. Right on.

Tip: You could be like me and learn Dvorak. That way you cannot look down. Oh and purchase you a good DAS keyboard with no markings. Now that's a WOOT!

Happy Hacking Keyboard or bust.

cgandee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cgandee

[quote postid="4952921" user="sirsinger"]Don't forget that this includes a 3 year warranty from Lenovo. That alone is usually a $80 retail upgrade from a 1 year. I've also always had great experiences with any warranty repair from Lenovo and typically get my laptops back within 72 hours of shipment. (Always keep the hard drive, unless you want it erased.)

--Do you know what exactly is included with this 3 year warranty?

omgwin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages omgwin

This is one of the best computer deals I've seen on woot all year. Thinkpads are no procreateing joke.

dasnicholas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnicholas
dasnicholas wrote:Does anyone know the full model# of the laptop?

Anybody?

scarab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarab
dasnicholas wrote:Anybody?

From looking at Lenovo's discontinued products catalog, I believe it's a L512 2598-35U

Dhraakellian

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dhraakellian
atrain728 wrote:Its a minor detail to some, but I'm not even going to consider a machine at that DPI. It's unusable. You're better off with an iPad (which, by the way, has 3 times as many pixels and costs the same).

(a) Oranges to Apples. Laptop vs. Tablet.
(b) This does have a higher resolution (albeit lower DPI still) than the iPad 2.

petecadmus wrote:But I do think Lenova should put the old Red Green Blue IBM logo back on the stinkpads. It makes me nostalgic for old times. Lenovo did this for the first few years after buying the line from IBM.

So far as I know, the T60 was the first, last, and only ThinkPad to have the dual branding.

BobbyCannon wrote:Tip: You could be like me and learn Dvorak. That way you cannot look down.

If you don't already use dvorak, don't bother. These days, learn Colemak. (I say this as a 10-finger dvorak touch-typist.) Colemak takes the dvorak design goals, adds in ease of transition and shortcut usage, and uses computer analysis to create a layout better than what Dvorak was able to do back in the day.

My colored box^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H qube has turned dark red^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H brown. I don't really need to show off a list of everything I've wooted anymore, do I?

lisak2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisak2

I LOVE my Lenovo! Best PC I've ever owned!

shelldav

quality posts: 8 Private Messages shelldav

How long has it been since Woot offered a truly quality product at an unmatched price? Methinks it was before Amazon bought the site.

newtowootiepatootie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newtowootiepatootie

Any more info on the warranty? I checked with Lenovo to see what the WootLenovoWarranty corresponded with, and they said they didn't know but I should try Woot ...