aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
glendaleted wrote:Okay, what am I doing wrong?

I bought one of the refurbished models last time, and I am just not happy with it. It takes forever to load the simplest web pages. Too often I get an error message.

If you want a tablet, spend the extra bucks for an iPad 2. For me, this was a waste of money..

Was preware installed with the patches? That can be a night and day difference.

bunnyb0y

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bunnyb0y

From what I recall you should be able to install Windows 8 when it comes out. I know HP was experimenting with the 32GB model but I don't think you'd be able to squeeze Win 8 on a 16GB version.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic
widmer69 wrote:You know how log it takes to put ICS on this? 15-20 mins tops. And it NEVER crashes. Multi-tasking is no problem. Stock browser, Chrome and Dolphin HD are great web browser choices. There are also plenty of email clients available.

I noticed that using dolphin browser is not working well with WebOS. There are thousands of thumbnails generated in photos app.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
glendaleted wrote:It takes forever to load the simplest web pages.

aaronshall wrote:Was preware installed with the patches? That can be a night and day difference.

I find the stock webOS browser not too bad overall, it does Flash and could stream Hulu and Amazon instant video just fine until Amazon blocked it by adding more DRM garbage.

On certain Wi-Fi networks it seems to be much more likely to act up and claim it's unable to load page repeatedly though. I can't explain why it happens more with certain wireless routers/networks than others. Sometimes clearing cache, restarting the browser and/or turning WiFi off and back on helps. The browser also doesn't reflow text, which would have been helpful.

I really hope that once Open webOS is fully released that either the browser will have been tweaked a bit more for performance and stability, or that having the source code will make it much easier for people to fix it or create alternate browsers.

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
vjf66 wrote:Anyone know what the discount is on this from the original price?

This was first released at $599, then 30 days later, it was dropped to $499, and then 17 days after that, it was $149 (fire sale), and now, 6 months (or so) later, it's 100 bucks more (*scratches head).

Got mine at $149, thanks to onsale.com, who after cancelling my order for the 16gb at $99, one month later, gave me (and many others that had their orders cancelled) a chance to buy the 32gb model at the original fire sale ($149).

lalitjina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lalitjina
turruso wrote:i ve got one of the 16Gb last woot, but the charging port flunked, anyone knows who to contact for the warranty?

I had the same issue. It was the faulty charging cable. The cable is a special one and the regular micro usb does not work. I called hp support and they sent me a new one for free

cowboyesfan

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cowboyesfan
thericochet wrote:Woot probably snapped up a couple thousand directly from HP when (or even before) they went on fire sale and are making a nice profit now after the furor died down.

Although HP denied they did this.

However, there were people with inventories of 1,000s of Touchpads popping up on Amazon.

At the same time, I had 4 confirmed order from 4 separate vendors mysteriously canceled. It seemed everyone all of a sudden had inventory problems.

I suspect woot! and others made their deals with the authorized HP resellers.

winnielou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winnielou

Do we know how many woot will be selling of these?

tdavis5432

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdavis5432

I use mine all the time, the battery life is amazing compared to a netbook imo, lighter, and now that there is an app for android phones to turn them into a hotspot, great for the car!

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger
kmartind wrote:I find the stock webOS browser not too bad overall, it does Flash and could stream Amazon instant video just fine until Amazon blocked it by adding more DRM garbage.
On certain Wi-Fi networks it seem to be much more likely to add up and claim it's unable to load page repeatedly though. I can't explain why it happens more with certain wireless routers/networks than others. It also doesn't reflow text, which would have been helpful.
I really hope that once Open webOS is fully released that either the browser will have been tweaked a bit more for performance and stability, or that having the source code will make it easy for people to fix it or create alternate browsers.

Have you updated to the latest version of WebOS? Have you tried Advanced Browser? That's what I use, because it has tabbed browsing. You can also install a patch, through preware, to make the Advanced browser the default.

Installing the recommended patches and overclocking it makes a big difference. It's all very easy to do.

Axolotl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Axolotl
nickmcmahon wrote:Actually, they did supposedly make a few 4G models. They are out there. This one isnt however.

I'm aware of that other Touchpad model. The thing is, your answer just confuses the people with poor reading comprehension. They'll see your answer and think, "Maybe this does work with 4G."

Better just to answer only the question asked, rather than elaborating with additional irrelevant information.

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69
darkomandic wrote:I noticed that using dolphin browser is not working well with WebOS. There are thousands of thumbnails generated in photos app.

I use Dolphin Browser HD on ICS Android everyday without any issues. No thumbnails saved or any pics unless I save them.

hooray beer!

kelton11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelton11

I bought my 16g Touchpad for 99.00 during the firesale, it's the best 99bucks I've ever spent! I also have a really good desktop p.c. A Toshiba Laptop...Acer Netbook...Kindle Fire and a Kindle keyboard e-reader. I do ALL my surfing on the HP Tablet...it is so fast! I hadn't used my p.c's for months until I had to break out my laptop to do our income taxes (prev yrs were stored on there) and it was only then that I was reminded how excruciatingly slow the P.C.s are compared to a tablet!

Someone asked if you can read outdoors with it...NO it is very washed out...that being said, the screen is amazingly bright indoors...crystal clear! I watch movies and shows with my Amazon prime on this thing and it is amazing!

You can also pick up a charging dock (touchstone) and set this pad on it with the cover and all....no cords to constantly plug in...these docks are on Amazon now for under 40 bucks...seriously rocked my world. set it on exhibition mode and all those pictures you have saved from Facebook now become a digital picture frame. There are also plenty of apps with beautiful photos or maybe you just want the weather...or a clock? So many neat things you can do with this Tablet. There are plenty of good apps for it. No Words with Friends app I use my Kindle Fire for that.

Speaking of Kindle Fire...in my opinion...it is just "ok" I really only use it for Words with Friends..(though I would be lost without my kindle e-reader) EVERYthing else I do...I use the Touchpad! Love it!

I just reread this, and it sounds like I work for Amazon Ha...I don't, I promise...I just know if I was on the fence about a product such as this, I would want others opinions on it! Buy this...you won't regret it!

andrewhime

quality posts: 5 Private Messages andrewhime
glendaleted wrote:Okay, what am I doing wrong?

I bought one of the refurbished models last time, and I am just not happy with it. It takes forever to load the simplest web pages. Too often I get an error message.

If you want a tablet, spend the extra bucks for an iPad 2. For me, this was a waste of money..

Doctor it? I've never run Doctor on my TP, so I'd be curious to see how it goes.

It's nice to log in to your Palm Profile and everything just comes back to you magically.

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

andrewhime

kmartind wrote:
I really hope that once Open webOS is fully released that either the browser will have been tweaked a bit more for performance and stability, or that having the source code will make it much easier for people to fix it or create alternate browsers.

There's already a next gen browser called Isis, they're not sure if they're going to backport it or keep it strictly Open webOS.

If you enjoy my horrible posts here, you might enjoy my podcast at http://www.valuecube.com

darkomandic

widmer69 wrote:I use Dolphin Browser HD on ICS Android everyday without any issues. No thumbnails saved or any pics unless I save them.

I have had a lot of problems with this issue so that I had to erase all the data and apps twice in webOS. Since I stoped using Dolphin browser I haven't had any issues at all.

greeleysrus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeleysrus
dcigary wrote:Does ICS run pretty good on this? Want a game system for our son (so I can get my phone back!) but WebOS isn't the way to go, at least for now.

I installed ICS about a month ago, and I LOVE it! The only thing that does not work so far is the camera and microphone, but everything else is pretty stable for me. I have tons of games for my girls, and they love it too. Recommended if you really want an HP Touchpad. I actually love WebOS also, with Preware and patches installed.

andrewhime

bunnyb0y wrote:From what I recall you should be able to install Windows 8 when it comes out. I know HP was experimenting with the 32GB model but I don't think you'd be able to squeeze Win 8 on a 16GB version.

Cite?

rspolloc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rspolloc

They say it compared to the iPad but it doesn't have a rear facing camera soooooooooo is it really that good without one? I'd prefer both does HP make one that has both front and rear facing cameras?

cindihoward

quality posts: 42 Private Messages cindihoward

AAAAGGGHHH! I really need this and I have to pay my taxes so no money! I have two HP Touch keyboards, two cases, two charger stands and I missed the fire sale and keep missing the woots when they are posted. Now I am in time for the Woot! and I don't have the loot. Shoot!

MissouriMomma

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade

The TouchPad is an amazing tablet, and webOS has some of the best built in apps you can find. It's email app is second to none in terms of functionality on a mobile device. Aside from the super craptastic camera, these devices are amazing. My family has three. All of them dualboot Android, but we leave them all in webOS for the most part, except for playing DrawSomething and Words with Friends.

Developers have a lot to love here too -- the webOS app catalog is a virtual gold mine waiting to happen with a million or so touchpads out there, there's plenty of money to be made. I got my first TouchPad during the August fire sale, and I'm buying a house next month with the income from my first app.

eblade

darkomandic wrote:I noticed that using dolphin browser is not working well with WebOS. There are thousands of thumbnails generated in photos app.

Complain to the Dolphin people that their app should put it's cache in a HIDDEN folder, and webOS will ignore it as well. There are dozens of Android apps that that screws up having it not hidden, as well.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

I don't think anyone has asked (yet), but if the slipcase is the standard HP leather one (which it looks like from the picture), then no, you can't get the TouchPad to fit into the slipcase with a skin case on it. The fit it just too tight. Otherwise the slipcase is nice. I tried stretching the case out by soaking it in water and rubbing alcohol and ramming a larger tablet-sized object into it for a couple days and that sort of worked, but it's still a really tight fit with the Poetic skin case on it even after that.

The HP book-style case that doubles as a stand is probably the best case overall, but it makes the device even thicker, and that case is overpriced, although probably cheaper on auction sites.

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
andrewhime wrote:Cite?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/24/hp-testing-windows-8-on-touchpads/

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/21888

That was just the first 2 links on google.

cheezybeez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheezybeez

Where'd they find these? I got one in the firesale and as a general internet/email device it works fine. The speakers are pretty good but app selection is pretty sparse. I mostly use it as a comic/manga viewer since the screen is pretty good and you can zoom in

darkomandic

eblade wrote:The TouchPad is an amazing tablet, and webOS has some of the best built in apps you can find. It's email app is second to none in terms of functionality on a mobile device. Aside from the super craptastic camera, these devices are amazing. My family has three. All of them dualboot Android, but we leave them all in webOS for the most part, except for playing DrawSomething and Words with Friends.

Developers have a lot to love here too -- the webOS app catalog is a virtual gold mine waiting to happen with a million or so touchpads out there, there's plenty of money to be made. I got my first TouchPad during the August fire sale, and I'm buying a house next month with the income from my first app.

That is really great. Congratulation. I also love my TP.

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

i continue to love my touchpad! for me, webos has been great, so i haven't bothered to tweak anything. the screen and images are fantastic, the battery life is remarkable, and the device overall is now indispensable in my world. as someone who doesn't need 500 apps, the hp touchpad has turned out to have everything i wanted in a tablet.

i didn't love the original hp case, so i bought one on amazon that fits perfectly at a great price.

p.s. i'll reiterate this note from the last time this item appeared on woot: the firesale pricing is OVER, so there's no use whining about it or quibbling about "higher prices." it has been eight months now, people--let it go already. this is a great deal on a great item. i recommend that you pick one up and find that out for yourself...

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

TheGreenHornetVsKato

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheGreenHornetVsKato

My touchpad just died weeks ago... Does anybody know where I can get this in for repair??

eblade

turruso wrote:i ve got one of the 16Gb last woot, but the charging port flunked, anyone knows who to contact for the warranty?

hp.com . If you can get the device booted, such as via a Touchstone charger, go to Settings->Help->Live Chat.

Their warranty repair/replacement service is absolutely superb -- my gf exchanged hers due to a crack near the speakers, and we had the replacement in 4 business days. It was -amazing-. We were expecting at least a week or two.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman
turruso wrote:was the one on january 27 with 90 days warranty

Yes

kingaroonie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingaroonie

Finally. I sat through two woot-off waiting for one of these puppies to pop up and they never showed. Once you get a touchstone in your hands, head over to webOSnations and put preware on it.There's a ton of info over there.

enterflux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enterflux

shame this isn't nearly as cheap as it was last year... :/

eblade

kschlege wrote:From what I've read, the camera driver for android isn't open source, so there's no way to compile it and get it to work on the TP. My guess is that there will never be camera support for the TP (but could be wrong)

Probably not true -- the camera works fine in CM7 on the TouchPad. CM7 is complete crap compared to CM9, though.

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69
rspolloc wrote:They say it compared to the iPad but it doesn't have a rear facing camera soooooooooo is it really that good without one? I'd prefer both does HP make one that has both front and rear facing cameras?

How often would you take a picture with a 10" tablet? The TP is more closely related to ipad 1, which didn't have a rear facing camera. Dual-core CPU n a gig o ram (unlike ipad 1, but just like ipad 2) make this a still high-end Android tablet.

hooray beer!

jmonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmonster

Just bought one with my TouchPad from the last time!

eblade

BTW, if you can, locate a Touchstone charging stand. Once you go to wireless charging, you're going to wonder why the hell everyone else in the market doesn't do it.

And once you add in a WiFi file sharing app from the catalog or preware, and if you're a dev, apply the mods i posted in the dev forum for loading your own apps via WiFi, you'll almost -never- need to actually plug your touchpad into anything.

Demand wireless charging, it's amazing.

tayhota

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tayhota

Picked up one of these in the great firesale. Have to say I love WebOS. Currently have a Galaxy TAB 10.1 and a TP dualbooting ICS (primarily for netflix). I end up using the TP way more than the TAB.

The bundled Kindle App is the better than the current Kindle software on android- mainly due to the typeface size selection as mentioned previously, as well as having a sepia toned setting which makes it a little easier to read in the dark (less eye strain).

I have fewer issues with the stock browser on WebOS than I do with pretty much anything in Android.

Battery life is extremely solid on this as well.

cheezybeez

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cheezybeez
rspolloc wrote:They say it compared to the iPad but it doesn't have a rear facing camera soooooooooo is it really that good without one? I'd prefer both does HP make one that has both front and rear facing cameras?

No the touchpad only has a front facing for vid chat but IMO that's all you really need. There are apps that allow you to use that camera to take pictures but IMO using a tablet to take pictures is kinda akward handling wise to do

nocturnal9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nocturnal9

You're one of 3 types of people:
1. You just want this for the things Palm's WebOS already does. Decent Web, Video, E-mail, PDA stuff, that's about it. You don't care that the processor is actually pretty good under the hood, and you don't care that you won't get more functionality than what it has on day 1. If so, go for it, but maybe what you really wanted is a Kindle Fire.

2. You want this for what it's going to be able to do once you put Android on it, and you're a major tinkerer. Consider it, but know it's still a bit buggy. My unit seems to run Ice Cream Sandwich great, except for the camera doesn't work, Wifi barely works and it's a battery hog right now. It may get better, but the Touchpad on Android may never become a "it just works" sort of thing, ever.

3. You want this for what it's going to be able to do once you put Android or Open Source WebOS, but you're not particularly patient or you don't like to tinker. Don't do it. Get something that's actually supported.