ugadog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ugadog

This thing is awesome. I have CM7 on mine and it is a fantastic, wonderful tablet. Android is a must for this thing. You will never want to boot to webos again after installing android. Also, you have to have a cover, which I think this deal comes with, to protect the plastic around the speaker. Yes, it will break and fall off without protection.

anstnsky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anstnsky
aceteacher wrote:I own this item, for close to 2 years.
This is a terrible item. Useless. HP offers no support for it. The operating system is compatible with, well...nothing. It doesn't do anything and what it DOES do, it does very slowly. File compatibility is a big problem, you can't open anything on it. Not a Word doc, not a PDF, and most video files, You Let's go fly a kite, where it's clear and bright... this item. BTW - I own one.

Since this product has only been on the market a year I need to question the veracity of your post. From my experience Word, Excel, and PDF work fine on the WebOS side and video is fantastic. To be fair to you the browser is terrible and the app market is awful.

On the ICS side you need to install the right apps and everything, aside from the camera, works great. Battery life is a bit shorter on the Android side but that is likely due to me being able to use it for a lot more than browsing the intertubes.

shortcake49

quality posts: 14 Private Messages shortcake49
jrstinkfish wrote:The newest Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" is going to be $249, and it runs circles around the Touchpad and comes with ICS. Unless you absolutely have to have webOS or another inch of screen real estate, this is not the great deal it was in 2011.

7" and 9.7" tablets are very different experiences. You're being misleading.

jimgolf

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jimgolf
Narg wrote:I'll wait for REAL tablets coming out later this year. The ones for Windows 8, that is.

What will you use it for? Ereader? WebSurfing? Playing games?
This can do all that now. Why wait?

If you are planning to do anything more intensive with a tablet, you're kidding yourself. Tablets are not desktop replacements, they are just spare PCs for goofing around with or when you're on the move. Laptops and even netbooks are too heavy for casual use, but a tablet is great as a toy.

With toys, you don't worry what the operating system is, you just worry about whether they're fun or not. Somehow Windows and fun don't seem to go together.

That said, this tablet is too big for my needs. A 7 inch tablet is far easier to carry around. Also, how much you use any of these depends on what your internet connection is like. If you have wifi all the time or a decent portable hotspot, you'll get your money's worth with any tablet, including this HP. If you only have wifi at home, most tablets end up as couch potato accessories.

jrstinkfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish
shortcake49 wrote:7" and 9.7" tablets are very different experiences. You're being misleading.

Of course they are, but I've used both screen sizes (well, 10.1" on my Transformer, and 7" on a Galaxy Tab), and while there is a difference, it's not so much that I'd recommend a device that was discontinued 8 months ago over one being released this month.

In August of 2011, $150 was an incredible deal for this tablet. In April of 2012, $250 is asking a bit too much. In my humble opinion, of course.

jrstinkfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jrstinkfish
jimgolf wrote:
If you are planning to do anything more intensive with a tablet, you're kidding yourself.

I use Citrix on my Transformer. I also used it during a Salesforce workshop last week. For most it is likely a toy, but for me, it's my laptop replacement (I have the dock), with only a few compromises here and there.

mrc131

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrc131

I have a 16gb one of these that I got new for $100. Its a great device for the price, even at $250. The best thing is that it's incredibly easy to put ANDROID 4.0 ICE CREAM SANDWICH on this device. It's literally only like 5 simple steps, check liliputing.com/. You even get to keep WebOS as the two systems can access the same files/folder. It's awesome.

eblade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eblade
inod3 wrote:Does the graphics accel work in Android?

Unreal Engine games work fabulously.

Nekosdad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nekosdad
lady1dk wrote:When can I expect delivery? I am super hyped to have found this incredible deal!

Most of my stuff has been here within 8 or 9 days, I will have my vizio tomorrow (it's waiting at the fed ex hub here in town) and it will be here tomorrow, tomorrow will be the 9 day that I ordered it

Nekosdad

thepagangoddess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thepagangoddess

So, this is worth it if you don't want, or need to upgrade, (or if this your first tablet and don't know the difference), etc...

But, what I want to know is where can I buy all the accessories I keep hearing about, and the video shows? The wireless charger stand, for instance?

kyleecarroll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyleecarroll
egadog wrote:Mine hasn't crashed yet - going back all the way to December when I first put CM7 on it.

While I like webOS (nifty multitasking), the browser and app selection are beyond awful. Once I got ICS on there I can't remember the last time I booted up webOS.

when you use ICS on your Touchpad, is the Touchpad still able to charge via the touchstone charging dock?

kcchiefsguru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcchiefsguru
kyleecarroll wrote:when you use ICS on your Touchpad, is the Touchpad still able to charge via the touchstone charging dock?

yep

escapepod87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages escapepod87
kyleecarroll wrote:when you use ICS on your Touchpad, is the Touchpad still able to charge via the touchstone charging dock?

Yes.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic
thepagangoddess wrote:So, this is worth it if you don't want, or need to upgrade, (or if this your first tablet and don't know the difference), etc...

But, what I want to know is where can I buy all the accessories I keep hearing about, and the video shows? The wireless charger stand, for instance?

Amazon

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic

Looks like these are not going to be sold out tonight, so expect to have them on next woot off for 20 $ less. That's when I'm getting extra one.

jmc325

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmc325

This is a great deal. Show me where else you can get a 9.7" tablet with a 1.2ghz dual-core processor, 1 GB of RAM, and 32 GB HDD for under $300.

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

Best Buy has the refurbished 32 GB Touchpad for $239. For $10 more you get a new Touchpad with a case.

birdman5589

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdman5589

If only I had $250, I would get this in a second to play around with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. But alas I'm no rich. Oh well. I guess my dual boots on non-touch devices will have to do.

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
sunny57 wrote:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/ik-multimedia-iklip-ipad-music-stand-adaptor/h75739000000000

Good call with it being the thicker ipad size. But, I can't see myself attaching that in my car.

Barkyhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barkyhill
broderya wrote:How's the battery life on this?

I've been using one for about 3 months. Use it often as an e-reader - LOVE it - John Carter free on the Kindle app.
I have the drop-on charging 'stone'. charges in about 20 min from dead. Onl charge about every other week - 1-2 hrs a day use. WITH WiFi on!

3eyore

quality posts: 7 Private Messages 3eyore

Why I bought one of these:

I wanted to purchase a tablet for a very specific application: supporting my master's degree distance learning program. The tablet had to do these things without fail:
- Download and seamlessly play huge .wmv files
- Secure webmail/website support (https security)
- Basic Office functionality
- Low cost
- WiFi/Bluetooth/USB connectivity
The 32 GB Touchpad fulfilled all of these except the download/play .wmv requirement. A download of the Opera Mobile browser and the KalemSoft media player fixed that. Everything I needed is in WebOS except the Opera browser, which is in Android ICS (for all I know, there's a WebOS version too). The hardware is great, the thing weighs nothing and takes up no room, I can do ANYTHING I NEED TO DO with it (again, the concept of "rooting" does not apply since the Touchpad isn't locked down in the first place) and it didn't drain my bank account. I couldn't be happier.

chrisgriswold

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisgriswold

I circled this all day, before absentmindedly putting in my info and buying it. I'm so excited and terrified! This is my first big purchase from Woot.

I can't wait to root the pajamas out of this machine. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Daddud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Daddud

oK, got mine. Snagged iit and bagged it. Will go great with my Pre 2 VZW. Can't wait to snag a new VZW Pre 3.

shabazz18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shabazz18

Over clocked to 1700mhz on both cores. They are pretty amazing.

fkwan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fkwan

The fact it's still in stock shows that Woot is asking for a little too much. This went for $150 initially.... the case goes for $9 on Amazon. Would've been a killer deal at $200, maybe....

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
fkwan wrote:The fact it's still in stock shows that Woot is asking for a little too much. This went for $150 initially.... the case goes for $9 on Amazon. Would've been a killer deal at $200, maybe....

it could mean that, or it could simply mean that they have a bucketload of them. They sold out the refurb version in January @ $220, that time it was nearly 4700 units. And no case was included.

Daveymars

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Daveymars
thepagangoddess wrote:So, this is worth it if you don't want, or need to upgrade, (or if this your first tablet and don't know the difference), etc...

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=222552593&sellerid=34350893

is the charging stand (which is AWESOME!) I have this tablet (I accidentally walked into Best Buy and a friend of mine grabbed me and said--Dave you need to wait in line with me for one of these... so I did... (no I didn't even line jump--as he was going to the end of it--I didn't even know what it was... I NEVER get this lucky!) and got the 32gb for $159... I LOVE IT! Yes, webOs is a bit clunky... but it's speakers are AWESOME and Pandora is amazing (as is Stitcher Radio... which you CAN listen too while you are using the Kindle app or are reading pdfs... (yes, you CAN read whole books in pdf format from the various public domain places...) What I do is download them to my pc and upload them to my Box.net account (50gb account that I got FREE with the TouchPad!) I then download to Touchpad and have a fantastic reading experiences...

I got my husband one and he uses it for taking meeting notes with (blue tooth keyboard from HP!)

http://www.amazon.com/HP-FB344AA-AC3-TouchPad-Wireless/dp/B0055QYJK6

works great with it--even when on charging stand.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-American-FB341AA-ABA-TouchPad/dp/B007PL9L70

You'll want at least one more of these cables and plugs so you can charge at home AND at work or in your bedroom AND living room. I got 4 of them (two for me and two for spouse!) I use the cable with a usb compatible car adapter/charger... and it works nicely. The other at the office. YOU do need to use the HP proprietary cables for charging b/c they are the only things that actually work to charge it.

I use mine in web os but have friends (remember who pulled me into line!!) who swear by ICS 4.0 cyanogen mod everyone else talks about--and that works well on theirs as well. I'm thinking about dual booting here in the near future.

I know this is late... but I hope it helps!

Everyone here always helps me!

Daveymars

wootforthestars wrote:I joined the community just so I can comment here.
At first,this looked like a great deal,even at the current price,
considering it's a 32 GB tablet.Then I started digging,and found the
usual pros and cons that any product has.
BUT,When I found out it had no SD expansion slot,I stopped considering it.
Any device that is not memory expandable is not of much use,at least for me.

I normally agree with you, but I've had so much fun with this and I've just enjoyed having something to web surf and listen to pandora or my own tunes via my box.net account that even using webOs I have to recommend this one...

Daveymars

dong1225 wrote:First of all, what's up with all CAPS?
And second, I treated my TouchPad with care, had it in the official HP case from the get-go, never dropped it, never applied immense pressure to it nor put it in hot or cold place.

Yet, after about 8 months of use, I noticed the crack, and went on to find that literally hundreds of other people suffered the same issue.

I too have this crack... and have been scrupulously careful with the tablet... having said that... well I still love the darned thing...

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
InFrom wrote:it could mean that, or it could simply mean that they have a bucketload of them. They sold out the refurb version in January @ $220, that time it was nearly 4700 units. And no case was included.

they sold less than a third the number they did for the refurb in January, though this time was arguably a better deal. Discuss.

itsme1964

quality posts: 0 Private Messages itsme1964
Barkyhill wrote:I've been using one for about 3 months. Use it often as an e-reader - LOVE it - John Carter free on the Kindle app.
I have the drop-on charging 'stone'. charges in about 20 min from dead. Onl charge about every other week - 1-2 hrs a day use. WITH WiFi on!

You must have a 'super battery' of some sort. For one, using regular charging via the cable still takes a fair amount of time. If charging on the Touchstone (which I love and rec anybody with a TP to get one) it charges slower.

Yet your saying from an either dead battery or less then 20% it charges to 100% in 20 MINUTES?

Hmm....Well, all I can say is you either mistyped or you have some kind of battery that nobody on this planet has......It doesnt take days to charge, but it sure as heck takes ALOT longer then 20 minutes. In fact, I dont know of ANY media type device that charges to 100% in 20 minutes...Not even a $10 sandisk MPs player......

Folks, dont worry about the battery..It does charge great on the touchstone, but there isnt a tablet on this planet, or heck, even an old basic non smart phone, that charges to full in 20 MINUTES.

As for all the talk about it 'was cheaper'.....'its now discontinued and not worth...' and etc, etc,.....People, stop living in the past. We cant go back in time and buy these for $99 or $149. The only thing people should ask themselves is 'is this product worth $xxxx to me today?'...If the answer is 'no', then move on and buy something else that you prefer. If 'yes', then buy it. But to moan and groan about the past is just a waste of time.

I think the TP is a great tablet on its own. Add ICS and it simply rocks......I did get lucky and after my WOOT REFURB was defective and refunded I did mange to pick a few of these up fairly cheap and new, but the fact is, they still sell like hotcakes in this current price range...heck, many places still sell them for over $300 and people are buying them up....So, if your bummed you missed the fire sale, get over it...it aint coming back.....If you want a great tablet for the money, the TP is pretty darned good at this price......I'll take a TP over any of the 7inchers people mention and i'd certainly take the TP over some of these cheapos people are rec'ing...Archos and etc? Pleeeeeeez.....Stick to name brands with the specs you want.....I wouldnt wish any archos on my worst enemy...Ditto with many of these lesser known names...They are $150 for a reason. They SUCK. The HP was designed to be a $500+ tablet and works just like a high end tablet. Webos is far from dead and will only get better...ICS makes the tp even better and HP aint going anywhere and will stand behind this tablet and fix/replace if need be.

Barkey, you mind posting the info on your battery that charges to full in 20 minutes? Please do as im sure every person who owns a TP would buy that battery in a split second (insert laughter now)....

editorkid

quality posts: 94 Private Messages editorkid
fkwan wrote:The fact it's still in stock shows that Woot is asking for a little too much. This went for $150 initially.... the case goes for $9 on Amazon. Would've been a killer deal at $200, maybe....

This did not go for $150 initially. It went for $599 initially.

Barkyhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barkyhill
itsme1964 wrote:You must have a 'super battery' of some sort. For one, using regular charging via the cable still takes a fair amount of time. If charging on the Touchstone (which I love and rec anybody with a TP to get one) it charges slower.

Yet your saying from an either dead battery or less then 20% it charges to 100% in 20 MINUTES?

Hmm....Well, all I can say is you either mistyped or you have some kind of battery that nobody on this planet has......It doesnt take days to charge, but it sure as heck takes ALOT longer then 20 minutes. In fact, I dont know of ANY media type device that charges to 100% in 20 minutes...Not even a $10 sandisk MPs player......

Folks, dont worry about the battery..It does charge great on the touchstone, but there isnt a tablet on this planet, or heck, even an old basic non smart phone, that charges to full in 20 MINUTES.

As for all the talk about it 'was cheaper'.....'its now discontinued and not worth...' and etc, etc,.....People, stop living in the past. We cant go back in time and buy these for $99 or $149. The only thing people should ask themselves is 'is this product worth $xxxx to me today?'...If the answer is 'no', then move on and buy something else that you prefer. If 'yes', then buy it. But to moan and groan about the past is just a waste of time.

I think the TP is a great tablet on its own. Add ICS and it simply rocks......I did get lucky and after my WOOT REFURB was defective and refunded I did mange to pick a few of these up fairly cheap and new, but the fact is, they still sell like hotcakes in this current price range...heck, many places still sell them for over $300 and people are buying them up....So, if your bummed you missed the fire sale, get over it...it aint coming back.....If you want a great tablet for the money, the TP is pretty darned good at this price......I'll take a TP over any of the 7inchers people mention and i'd certainly take the TP over some of these cheapos people are rec'ing...Archos and etc? Pleeeeeeez.....Stick to name brands with the specs you want.....I wouldnt wish any archos on my worst enemy...Ditto with many of these lesser known names...They are $150 for a reason. They SUCK. The HP was designed to be a $500+ tablet and works just like a high end tablet. Webos is far from dead and will only get better...ICS makes the tp even better and HP aint going anywhere and will stand behind this tablet and fix/replace if need be.

Barkey, you mind posting the info on your battery that charges to full in 20 minutes? Please do as im sure every person who owns a TP would buy that battery in a split second (insert laughter now)....

Har, har... Well, Maybe 20 min was a bit ambitious, but it does seem to charge faster than my iPad 2. I do read for about 2 hrs a night with WiFi turned on and do charge about every other week.. I use the Touchstone and the wired charger, alternately.
The NET is that I like the TouchPad, as you seem to. I work for HP and had to fight to get mine thru HP.. It works well and I expect to upgrade to ICS when I have enough time to do so.

itsme1964

Barkyhill wrote:Har, har... Well, Maybe 20 min was a bit ambitious, but it does seem to charge faster than my iPad 2. I do read for about 2 hrs a night with WiFi turned on and do charge about every other week.. I use the Touchstone and the wired charger, alternately.
The NET is that I like the TouchPad, as you seem to. I work for HP and had to fight to get mine thru HP.. It works well and I expect to upgrade to ICS when I have enough time to do so.

Yep, love the TP. And yes, 20 minutes is more then a bit 'ambitious', as 20 minutes on the TC adds maybe 10%-20% at the most and it slows the charging as it charges longer, meaning you get a good % charge when you 1st start charging, but it slows as the % creeps up.......Same happens with every device I own..Phones, ipads, etc....They go from 5-20% to 20-40% pretty quickly and then it slows down.....My TP on the TC takes about 8 hours, give or take to charge fully...if I dont have stuff 'running' when charging, it charges fasrer but if I have music playing, pictures scrolling and etc, while charging, it obviously takes longer as the device is using 'power' as it is charging, which slows the charge rate down.......Anyway, wish they did charge in 20 minutes...that would be awesome, but not tablet is gonna charge anyplce close to that quickly, even those with the supposed 'rapid charge'...even those take A LOT longer then 20 minutes...still talking Hours, as in plural....You'll love ICS when you slap it on, but remember, it will use more battery, but well worth it in my opinion......

outergeorge

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outergeorge

Mystery solved: the box it came in has a Costco stock code covered with sharpie. So looks like Woot bought out Costco's stock. That explains both quantity and price.

Costco was selling these for $479 pre-firesale, so I'm quite happy with the $270 I paid.

itsme1964

outergeorge wrote:Mystery solved: the box it came in has a Costco stock code covered with sharpie. So looks like Woot bought out Costco's stock. That explains both quantity and price.

Well, they didnt buy out all of Costcos stock, as the day this woot deal appeared, the TP was in stock and at a very good price (see my earlier post for price that day) and is still in stock today although I didnt inquire about the price.

Not online. In stock at the store.

But I guess the 'good' is at least people know these werent 'returned items to costco'.....If the WOOT! deal said 'NEW', then it has to be new and cant be a 'return/rejected item'...Once sold, even if freturned unopened, it can no longer be sold as 'new', although im sure many places will sell them as new...Best Buy is good example..Cant count the times I've been in one of their stores and seen people returning something unopened and rep hands it to sales clerk and instructs to put back on the shelf....But, I would hope Costco does not take part in doing the same.....So, who cares where they came from as long as they are indeed new.

jmonster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmonster

A recommendation for anyone who bought one of these: Check out the Skinomi Tech Skin (http://www.skinomi.com/hptop.html); I have one on my previous TP and just bought another for this one. It's a solid, textured vinyl that should help prevent the speaker cracks.

Nuthead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nuthead
itsme1964 wrote:Well, they didnt buy out all of Costcos stock, as the day this woot deal appeared, the TP was in stock and at a very good price (see my earlier post for price that day) and is still in stock today although I didnt inquire about the price.

Not online. In stock at the store.

But I guess the 'good' is at least people know these werent 'returned items to costco'.....If the WOOT! deal said 'NEW', then it has to be new and cant be a 'return/rejected item'...Once sold, even if freturned unopened, it can no longer be sold as 'new', although im sure many places will sell them as new...Best Buy is good example..Cant count the times I've been in one of their stores and seen people returning something unopened and rep hands it to sales clerk and instructs to put back on the shelf....But, I would hope Costco does not take part in doing the same.....So, who cares where they came from as long as they are indeed new.

I recently bought a Sharp 60" HDTV from my local Costco, being sold as new, and found the previous owner's mutual fund statement inside the TV's owners manual packet. Then I called Sharp to register the TV and they said it had already been registered and it had a problem case number on file. Opened my eyes.

kcchiefsguru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcchiefsguru

Just got my shipping notice. Arrives Thursday.

jasonmay821

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonmay821
kcchiefsguru wrote:Just got my shipping notice. Arrives Thursday.

I just got my shipping notice as well. Mine arrives tomorrow, Wednesday. For a second there, woot! felt like amazon 2 day prime shipping.