bduchouq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduchouq

Today's listing has been reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I recommend others do this also at:

http://www.saferproducts.gov

This is a copy of your Report to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:

Woot.com is knowingly selling this recalled product:
Buckyballs 216-Piece Rare Earth Magnetic Set – 2 Pack

From Feb: Report ID: 20120222-89094-2147469936
From today: Report Number: 20120416-CB5BA-2147468387
Date Submitted: 4/16/2012
Report Status: Submitted and Certified

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
bduchouq wrote:Today's listing has been reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I recommend others do this also at:

http://www.saferproducts.gov

This is a copy of your Report to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:

Woot.com is knowingly selling this recalled product:
Buckyballs 216-Piece Rare Earth Magnetic Set – 2 Pack

From Feb: Report ID: 20120222-89094-2147469936
From today: Report Number: 20120416-CB5BA-2147468387
Date Submitted: 4/16/2012
Report Status: Submitted and Certified

The product was recalled because they were labelled for ages "13+" instead of ages "14+," and need to say "Keep Away From All Children." I'm totally serious.

The sets being sold here today are properly labelled as such, and therefore are not the recalled version.

Woot actually acknowledges the previous recall at the bottom of the item description. They are not trying to hide anything.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
lichme wrote:I forgot to mention. In case you had the same idea that I did (magnetic dartboard)

Hmmm... dartboard... darts... missiles... sets one to consider what sort of launching device might work with a high powered magnet.

But then again, they're probably too fragile for any repeted missile launching games.

sallyconnolly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sallyconnolly
cjpowers wrote:I don't think it is Buckyballs that have caused the problem. Until a few kids got some serious injuries, small, strong, rare-earth magnets were used in some kids toys and those toys caused the problems. My daughter had one of these toy building sets. As a result of these accidents, any item containing such magnets now carries a warning.

March 2008: More Magnetix sets were recalled due to the magnets coming loose. Other brands with magnets have been recalled, but they continue to be sold.

April 15, 2009: "Magnetix building sets manufacturer to pay $1.1 million penalty." http://www.wickedlocal.com/danvers/archive/x547385706/Magnetix-building-sets-manufacturer-to-pay-1-1-million-penalty

November 10, 2011: CPSC issues warning about harm caused by high-powered magnets that are marketed as stress relievers and desk toys. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12037.html

bduchouq

novastarj wrote:The product was recalled because they were labelled for ages "13+" instead of ages "14+," and need to say "Keep Away From All Children." I'm totally serious.

The sets being sold here today are properly labelled as such, and therefore are not the recalled version.

Woot actually acknowledges the previous recall at the bottom of the item description. They are not trying to hide anything.

A similar product to this has killed a child. Woot wants to be associated with that?

novastarj

bduchouq wrote:A similar product to this has killed a child. Woot wants to be associated with that?

Just pointing out that it is inappropriate to file a report that Woot is selling a recalled product when in fact this version of the product has not been recalled (and is abiding by the proper federal standards).

Though honestly, children die every day in tragic and avoidable accidents. It's incredibly sad. But this doesn't mean every product that could potentially kill should not be sold. It only means parents must be responsible with any purchases they make that are potentially dangerous. This product is clearly not a children's toy (and it is very explicitly labelled in that way).

sallyconnolly

DivineMercy wrote:WARNING: You really should avoid ingestion, or any action (i.e.fake lip piercing) that could result in ingestion!

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/operation-needed-after-buckyballs-accident/2482452.aspx

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron
bduchouq wrote:A similar product to this has killed a child. Woot wants to be associated with that?

Simple. keep them away from your kids!

God help people that own firearms

Quality post? Me??

sallyconnolly

WilfBrim wrote:Either every time some child swallows some of these and perforates their small bowel it gets reported in the popular media, or these cases are happening very frequently.

Since my initial thought is that the latter is the case, I'm wondering how Buckballs (and their competitors) haven't been sued into a smoking hole in the ground by now.

March 2008: More Magnetix sets were recalled due to the magnets coming loose. Other brands with magnets have been recalled; however they continue to be sold.

April 15, 2009: "Magnetix building sets manufacturer to pay $1.1 million penalty." http://www.wickedlocal.com/danvers/archive/x547385706/Magnetix-building-sets-manufacturer-to-pay-1-1-million-penalty

November 10, 2011: CPSC issues warning about harm caused by high-powered magnets that are marketed as stress relievers and desk toys. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12037.html

March 2012: Operation needed after Buckyballs accident. http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/news/general/operation-needed-after-buckyballs-accident/2482452.aspx

nlope004

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlope004

These are not good to have in the house if you have small children. If a baby swallows a strong magnet it can pierce their intestines.

claytonknudsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claytonknudsen

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE KIDS! A YOUNG TEEN WAS ALMOST KILLED AND YOUNGER KIDS HAVE BEEN INJURED BY THESE. The teen was using these as a mouth piercing fake. She swollowed several and they impeeded her intestine by pinching it together. same with the younger kids.

claytonknudsen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages claytonknudsen

They sold lawn jarts for years before they took them off the market. Even as a kid, I knew these were STUPID. Same with these magnets. It might be fun in an office on a desk, but those will NOT come in my house! My kids are older (10, 11) but kids still are kids and it isnt worth the risk!

cbfitz06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbfitz06

Sounds like there are alot of overprotective mothers on here that probably dont let their kids play any contact sports. oooh football is dangerous, not enough pads. Let them LIVE, DO NOT let them inhale their toys.

-Dog

Tralornik

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tralornik

Let me get this straight... These two cubes combined measure 3 centimeters by 6 centimeters? And cost $39.99?.(shipped)

That semms like alot for such small balls.

conantroutman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages conantroutman

The Orange ones are my favorite flavor.

Tralornik

claytonknudsen wrote:They sold lawn jarts for years before they took them off the market. Even as a kid, I knew these were STUPID. Same with these magnets. It might be fun in an office on a desk, but those will NOT come in my house! My kids are older (10, 11) but kids still are kids and it isnt worth the risk!

Depends on the child, but you are right...better safe than sorry.

On the other hand, eventually children will be exposed to all sorts of dangerous things so teaching them to be aware of danger is actually more important than removing all possible dangers forever.... I mean most people take the safe caps out of thier wall sockets at some point as well as silverware cabinet locks as well.

When to do that depends on the child of course. Due to the very small size of these, i could see where ingestion is a very possible danger especially for young children.

rochelle017

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rochelle017

Hi,

I was just wondering if these were packaged individually, as i wanted to keep1 and give 1 as a gift, but I dont want it to look like they are getting an open box, etc.

thanks in advance, everyone !

Tralornik

conantroutman wrote:The Orange ones are my favorite flavor.

I hear the next generation will be available in regular and extra chewy.

ctimjones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ctimjones

Check out a few magnetic ball creations at these links:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/magnetspheres/pool/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1942705@N21/pool/

Enjoy!

bduchouq

novastarj wrote:Just pointing out that it is inappropriate to file a report that Woot is selling a recalled product when in fact this version of the product has not been recalled (and is abiding by the proper federal standards).

Though honestly, children die every day in tragic and avoidable accidents. It's incredibly sad. But this doesn't mean every product that could potentially kill should not be sold. It only means parents must be responsible with any purchases they make that are potentially dangerous. This product is clearly not a children's toy (and it is very explicitly labelled in that way).

The only thing inappropriate here is the sale of this dangerous product. Hopefully the CPSC will review and determine if you are correct. Either way, I feel good about reporting today's sale to them and encourage others to do the same to generate enough noise to bring it to their attention.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
rochelle017 wrote:Hi,

I was just wondering if these were packaged individually, as i wanted to keep1 and give 1 as a gift, but I dont want it to look like they are getting an open box, etc.

I would assume the bucky balls themselves would be individually wrapped, the cases may be individually wrapped as well.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven
rochelle017 wrote:Hi,

I can't verify for certain as I am not woot, but when I purchased my 2-fer sets, they were each separate (as in 3 2-fer sets = 6 separate items in 6 separate cases).

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

kevinlara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinlara

Does anyone know where I can get a free shipping coupon or 5 off? Tried other websites but none of them work.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven
kevinlara wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a free shipping coupon or 5 off? Tried other websites but none of them work.

Most woot coupons are tied to their accounts and thus, no one could give you one.

I meant to add in my previous review-- The flaking seems to be an issue with the colored balls only. The original (I believe this is the Chrome one, not the "Silver" one...) doesn't seem to have that issue in my experience.

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

kevinlara

jezebelseven wrote:Most woot coupons are tied to their accounts and thus, no one could give you one.

Thank you for the info...

mjkimble

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mjkimble
bduchouq wrote:The only thing inappropriate here is the sale of this dangerous product. Hopefully the CPSC will review and determine if you are correct. Either way, I feel good about reporting today's sale to them and encourage others to do the same to generate enough noise to bring it to their attention.

I don't follow your logic.

novastarj

kevinlara wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a free shipping coupon or 5 off? Tried other websites but none of them work.

I echo what was said about coupons being tied to accounts, but the one exception is the super awesome "TAXSUCKS" code.

Only usable when an item costs $40 or more (so you'd need to buy 2 sets of this) and you live in a state where tax is charged on orders.

kevinlara

novastarj wrote:I echo what was said about coupons being tied to accounts, but the one exception is the super awesome "TAXSUCKS" code.

Only usable when an item costs $40 or more (so you'd need to buy 2 sets of this) and you live in a state where tax is charged on orders.

Thank you...

jgTactic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgTactic

just an fyi =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Tka4NUmUo

Comparison between Buckyballs and Zen Magnets

cbfitz06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbfitz06
biggoron wrote:Simple. keep them away from your kids!

God help people that own firearms

Im gonna guess hardcore Democrat. Am I right? Just sayin.

People own (and have the right to own) numerous products that can be dangerous if mishandled or misused. It is the responsibility of the Gun or Buckyball owner to properly store these items to prevent misuse. Yes accidents happen and they are tragic, but in most cases there are safety precautions that could have been implemented to prevent injury.

-Dog

nancypults

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nancypults
chester5 wrote:I am a school counselor and have the square Buckycubes on my desk. The students (middle and high school) LOVE THESE!!!!! If you have a teenager and are looking for a unique gift...get these!

My daughter (17) has severe anxiety disorder and I can vouch for these being a great distraction for her while she calms herself. The anxiety program she attended bought a dozen sets after seeing my daughter with hers.

biggoron

cbfitz06 wrote:Im gonna guess hardcore Democrat. Am I right? Just sayin.

People own (and have the right to own) numerous products that can be dangerous if mishandled or misused. It is the responsibility of the Gun or Buckyball owner to properly store these items to prevent misuse. Yes accidents happen and they are tragic, but in most cases there are safety precautions that could have been implemented to prevent injury.

Democrat yes.

And my point is exactly that. Lots of things are dangerous. Household cleaners are dangerous, guns, knives, buckyballs, all dangerous to children if not properly secured.

The lesson, lock it up, or watch your kids.

Quality post? Me??

mjkimble

nothing like Buckyballs to bring out the political outrage.

deerepilot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deerepilot

These are very dangerous for young children if they swallow them. In fact, some children have died when the Buckeyballs stick together in their intestines. Be very careful around children.

gr clark

camelcash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages camelcash

I bought a large set of bucky balls from woot maybe 4 months ago and have a warning. I am a bit of a magnet nut and have....well, tons of magnets. I have also purchased other magnet ball sets similar to bucky balls before ever having purchased bucky balls. My warning is simply that I was very disappointed with the quality. The magnetic fields and coating of bucky balls are far inferior to other brands such as neocubes or zen magnets (both of which I own, again...magnet nut). So keep that in mind, bucky balls are cheaper but you are getting what you pay for in this situation for sure.

biggoron

i keep hearing echos in here

Quality post? Me??

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude
bduchouq wrote:The only thing inappropriate here is the sale of this dangerous product. Hopefully the CPSC will review and determine if you are correct. Either way, I feel good about reporting today's sale to them and encourage others to do the same to generate enough noise to bring it to their attention.

Another person trying to have the goverment overstep their bounds.. These magnets are properly labeled and warning and are not subject to recall. Many of us here are adults and know how to read a warning. So if you have young kids, perhaps you shouldnt buy them, but as an adult I should be allowed to purchase them as I see fit.. Im tired of hearing "but its for the children" defense. Perhaps that you should teach your kids some common sense. By making anything that can be dangerous if misused illegal, you are trying to rubber bumper the world with the goverment as the parent... Shame on you

mjkimble

Obviously the only solution here is to remove the magnetic quality of these WMDs (weapons of minute destruction).

hastor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hastor

So if you swallow something and it hurts you, it should be banned? I guess I need to get rid of my drill bits, shaving razors, sewing needles, Drano, Clorox, cat litter, soldering equipment (has lead!), and my gerbil.

Or maybe I just won't let anyone eat this stuff. If you are 14 and up like the label says (or in my opinion, old enough to speak) and still swallow random spheres, this might be the only way for you to learn a valuable lesson!