crytl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crytl
Tralornik wrote:Let me get this straight... These two cubes combined measure 3 centimeters by 6 centimeters? And cost $39.99?.(shipped)

That semms like alot for such small balls.

LOL...you have NO IDEA until you have these in your hands & start 'creating' with them. I have over 1000 total, with dif sizes & metallic coatings. Tons of vids on youtube showing truly incredible structures you can make.

Personally, I much prefer nanodots & zenmagnet brands b/c the outer coating does not flake-off like buckyballs. Plus, theirs are much more uniformly sized & magnets are stronger (which makes a diference in large, complex designs.

Tralornik

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Tralornik
crytl wrote:LOL...you have NO IDEA until you have these in your hands & start 'creating' with them. I have over 1000 total, with dif sizes & metallic coatings. Tons of vids on youtube showing truly incredible structures you can make.

Personally, I much prefer nanodots & zenmagnet brands b/c the outer coating does not flake-off like buckyballs. Plus, theirs are much more uniformly sized & magnets are stronger (which makes a diference in large, complex designs.

Oh, i am totally certain that they are a blast to use! Just seems like the price is insane for the quantity/size... Although i am sure woot's price is better than most.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Tralornik wrote:Oh, i am totally certain that they are a blast to use! Just seems like the price is insane for the quantity/size... Although i am sure woot's price is better than most.

This thread needs more buckyballs videos.

I'm just hanging out, really.

crashck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crashck

Hmm I really want to buy some balls to add to my collection of two, but are the nanodots/zen magnets that much better that it is worth spending another 20$ on them over getting this Woot?

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I don't need no stinking Buckeyballs, I have 40 round singing rattlesnake eggs. Now that is real entertainment!

ohneauxs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohneauxs
hastor wrote:So if you swallow something and it hurts you, it should be banned? I guess I need to get rid of my drill bits, shaving razors, sewing needles, Drano, Clorox, cat litter, soldering equipment (has lead!), and my gerbil.

Or maybe I just won't let anyone eat this stuff. If you are 14 and up like the label says (or in my opinion, old enough to speak) and still swallow random spheres, this might be the only way for you to learn a valuable lesson!

Cat litter? Seriously?

CinciTech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CinciTech
mjkimble wrote:Obviously the only solution here is to remove the magnetic quality of these WMDs (weapons of minute destruction).

I laughed.

Truthfully speaking, I read that article about the girl using them as pretend lip piercings, and I thought to myself, she's tried her hardest to be a Darwin award recipient. She is twelve, used them near her mouth, she didn't get help when she swallowed them...

These are not toys for kids. Same as guns, knives, lawn darts, sports cars, prescription drugs and household cleaners. If you buy these, do not put them where kids will be. Kids are normally pretty dumb. I have two of my own, and I would love to have these on my desk, but I would not love to risk my 4yo pretending he had lip piercings, and then not wanting to admit he'd accidentally swallowed daddy's toys. I see no problem in selling these, but as a parent you NEED to understand how a child thinks.

In for at least three, in about 15-20 years.

mancub777

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mancub777

this is a good deal. I got one pack of Buckyballs for $34.99. i play with them all day at work and they work well as a stress ball type thing aswell as geometric creations/

chgo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chgo

Oh no, not Buckyballs again.

CinciTech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CinciTech
zenmagnets wrote:(ad)

Nevermind.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
chgo wrote:Oh no, not Buckyballs again.

Oh yes, and twice as many as before.

rtwesterlund

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtwesterlund
bduchouq wrote:Today's listing has been reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I recommend others do this also at:

http://www.saferproducts.gov

This is a copy of your Report to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:

Woot.com is knowingly selling this recalled product:
Buckyballs 216-Piece Rare Earth Magnetic Set – 2 Pack

From Feb: Report ID: 20120222-89094-2147469936
From today: Report Number: 20120416-CB5BA-2147468387
Date Submitted: 4/16/2012
Report Status: Submitted and Certified

You have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?

For EVERYONE'S information (since these are points that a lot of people seem to be missing these days...):
1. Don't eat things that aren't food.
2. Don't give tiny things to babies, since they like to put stuff in their mouths.

I wish companies that got sued for things like "my kid ate some of your magnets" could counter-sue people for being bad parents or just plain stupid.

newtekie1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newtekie1
bduchouq wrote:Today's listing has been reported to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. I recommend others do this also at:

Too bad it isn't illegal to make false reports, otherwise you'd be in trouble. Next time do your research before being an tadpole. The recall was back in 2010 for a misprint on the packaging, do you really think they haven't fixed the misprint in all this time?

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy

Since these are only deadly when you eat two of them, I propose a new slogan:

BuckyBalls. Bet your life you can't eat just one!

People around here need to lighten the F up. People die everyday, it's a sign the world has too many of us. If some of the dumb ones go away it's better for the rest of those who have known since the age of π not to swallow random metallic objects.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

CypressCustoms

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CypressCustoms
RWoodward wrote:Hmmm... dartboard... darts... missiles... sets one to consider what sort of launching device might work with a high powered magnet.

But then again, they're probably too fragile for any repeted missile launching games.

Catapult....trebuche (spell?)

newtekie1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newtekie1
rtwesterlund wrote:You have a lot of time on your hands, don't you?

For EVERYONE'S information (since these are points that a lot of people seem to be missing these days...):
1. Don't eat things that aren't food.
2. Don't give tiny things to babies, since they like to put stuff in their mouths.

I wish companies that got sued for things like "my kid ate some of your magnets" could counter-sue people for being bad parents or just plain stupid.

Not just that, but the recall was simply because it says 13+ instead of 14+. I seriously doubt that anyone that doesn't know not to swallow these at 13 is going to know when they are 14...

anonymoushero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anonymoushero

Really wish I would've held off buying my set now...

choosecarefully

quality posts: 3 Private Messages choosecarefully

Sorry to say these nearly killed a small child this year. Magnets in the intestines still stick together. Buy it, but keep it away from small children. The xrays were so scary.

CypressCustoms

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CypressCustoms

kind of pricey else where....
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/bbe8/?srp=2

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
CinciTech wrote:
These are not toys for kids. Same as guns, knives, lawn darts, sports cars, prescription drugs and household cleaners. If you buy these, do not put them where kids will be. Kids are normally pretty dumb. I have two of my own, and I would love to have these on my desk, but I would not love to risk my 4yo pretending he had lip piercings, and then not wanting to admit he'd accidentally swallowed daddy's toys. I see no problem in selling these, but as a parent you NEED to understand how a child thinks.

I hadn't thought about lawn darts in years... I really miss those things they were great fun... yet living in the nanny state you can't have anything fun if there is the potential for an tadpole to hurt themself with it... Why can't we just let Darwin work his magic?

We need to leave loaded guns, lawn darts and buckyballs all over the place in the hopes that dumb kids/people will eliminate themselves from the gene pool before they can cause more damage to the human condition... support Darwin give Buckyballs as stocking stuffers.

saltysteele

quality posts: 4 Private Messages saltysteele

Every time I have seen these on here, I have scoffed at the people who have purchased them.

That is, until this past week when I was on vacation and stopped in a store that had them.

My 7-year-old daughter and I pretty much ignored everything else in this "brain-type" store, playing with these flipping buckyballs while my wife shopped for over half an hour.

Kids were kind of gathering and dispersing, waiting for us to put them down, but we were having too much fun.

I don't know what it is about them, they're stupid little spherical magnets! You can't stop messing with them, though!!

I didn't buy them in the store, as they were 29 for a regular set, and 39 for a colored set (black, blue, gold, etc). I told my wife there was no way I was going to pay that much, when for the same price, I could get a 2 pack on woot! So, here 4 days later, and what does woot have?

I'm in for a twofer!

Sir Limey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sir Limey

Obviously didn't take time to read the whole article before jumping on the holier than thou safety bandwagon. Very quick to complain but unable to take responsibility for your own children. Come on people stop expecting others to do your parenting job. If your too stupid to know what is safe for your children to play with then don't have them.
For those who know that anything can be used safely if properly supervised, good luck your the minority in this sue everyone and never take responsibility for your actions America

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

Whew! I don't have to waste my money on these...I've already Met Tommy! Actually, I Impressed him on the set of Cocktail...but you don't want to hear That Story, do you?!

I just can't imagine paying money for these things...watching Paint Dry is Free and would probably be as much fun.

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
saltysteele wrote:My 7-year-old daughter and I pretty much ignored everything else in this "brain-type" store, playing with these flipping buckyballs while my wife shopped for over half an hour.

Kids were kind of gathering and dispersing, waiting for us to put them down, but we were having too much fun.

Just make certain you supervise your daughter if you let her use them, and that she understands she should never, ever put them near her mouth (and to let you know right away if something ever does happen by accident).

JWNeeley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JWNeeley
bduchouq wrote:The only thing inappropriate here is the sale of this dangerous product. Hopefully the CPSC will review and determine if you are correct. Either way, I feel good about reporting today's sale to them and encourage others to do the same to generate enough noise to bring it to their attention.

Do you report every time woot sells kitchen knives or a set of tools which may be harmful to children? I mean it even says on the product page in all caps "KEEP AWAY FROM ALL CHILDREN".

ಠ_ಠ

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
JWNeeley wrote:Do you report every time woot sells kitchen knives or a set of tools which may be harmful to children? I mean it even says on the product page in all caps "KEEP AWAY FROM ALL CHILDREN".

[removed things veering into personal attack territory]

Concern is cool, attacking people isn't. Let's all remember that. ;)

I'm just hanging out, really.

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy
bduchouq wrote:A similar product to this has killed a child. Woot wants to be associated with that?

Following this mindset-
Any and all stairways should be immediately dismantled. Countless numbers of children are injured or killed on them every year.

Anyway...

My sister bought this sort of thing for her 15 yr old son last christmas (neocubes version). As soon as they came, she opened up the package to see what all the fuss was about. We spent the rest of the night trying to get them back in the cube form. We all failed and he got the present in jumbled form. Since then we have lost 3 of the balls. Seriously thinking of getting more because they are very much addictive!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

saphire_1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saphire_1975

Honestly people have some common sense. My 4 year old nephew loves these things our biggest problem is him putting them by things that should not be placed by a magnet like he tried cut his shape with his mom's credit card. Of course he is supervised he is 4. He is always supervised. Watch your kids and stop crying that the government should do it.

gaidinbdj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaidinbdj

There certainly are quite a few "balls" jokes on the Featured Comments.

But anyways, I don't have this particular set, but I do have a set of balls and I enjoy playing with them. They tend to get a bit dirty though, as all kinds of tiny bits of metal will stick to your balls after a while and it's tough to get off, so only play with your balls in fairly clean settings. And keep an eye on them, people see you playing with your balls, then they want to play with your balls, and before you know it they have your balls in their hands.

Balls.

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler
rtwesterlund wrote:

Actually, they can sue the parents under a theory of comparative negligence or failure to supervise their children. In some states, ANY negligence on the part of a parent might negate even greater negligence on the part of a manufacturer, premise owner, driver or other tortfeasor for, at least the parent's claim to damages in the form of medical bills.

DonKudler

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DonKudler
saltysteele wrote:Every time I have seen these on here, I have scoffed at the people who have purchased them.

I didn't buy them in the store, as they were 29 for a regular set, and 39 for a colored set (black, blue, gold, etc). I told my wife there was no way I was going to pay that much, when for the same price, I could get a 2 pack on woot! So, here 4 days later, and what does woot have?

I'm in for a twofer!

Sounds like you influenced the woot gawds.

rachel0031

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel0031

so, have you guys heard that these can pinch your child's intestines?? -.-

mvann1978

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvann1978
rachel0031 wrote:so, have you guys heard that these can pinch your child's intestines?? -.-

Yup, this gadget is meant for kids/adults that don't swallow balls. Come on..

gdorrell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gdorrell
saphire_1975 wrote:Honestly people have some common sense. My 4 year old nephew loves these things our biggest problem is him putting them by things that should not be placed by a magnet like he tried cut his shape with his mom's credit card. Of course he is supervised he is 4. He is always supervised. Watch your kids and stop crying that the government should do it.

So... you supervised him but he still got a hold of a credit card from Mommy's purse?

bduchouq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduchouq
hastor wrote:So if you swallow something and it hurts you, it should be banned? I guess I need to get rid of my drill bits, shaving razors, sewing needles, Drano, Clorox, cat litter, soldering equipment (has lead!), and my gerbil.

Or maybe I just won't let anyone eat this stuff. If you are 14 and up like the label says (or in my opinion, old enough to speak) and still swallow random spheres, this might be the only way for you to learn a valuable lesson!

Everything you mentioned is not a toy. I bet 1 out of 10 homes that purchase these with no kids will be visited by a small kid or toddler in the near future. Are you sure you haven't lost of couple of these under the couch where small hands can reach. Oh, but you won't lose track of any of them, right? It's a matter of time before this "toy" is in the news again.

mvann1978

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvann1978
bduchouq wrote:Everything you mentioned is not a toy. I bet 1 out of 10 homes that purchase these with no kids will be visited by a small kid or toddler in the near future. Are you sure you haven't lost of couple of these under the couch where small hands can reach. Oh, but you won't lose track of any of them, right? It's a matter of time before this "toy" is in the news again.

Just like owning guns(alcohol/pills/etc), be responsible. Always keep them away from 1di0t5 and children. If you buy Buckyballs, same thing. You can't teach common sense. I bought mine for work, so if I have co-workers that decide to swallow them, then Darwinism at its finest.

ohneauxs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohneauxs
bduchouq wrote:Everything you mentioned is not a toy. I bet 1 out of 10 homes that purchase these with no kids will be visited by a small kid or toddler in the near future. Are you sure you haven't lost of couple of these under the couch where small hands can reach. Oh, but you won't lose track of any of them, right? It's a matter of time before this "toy" is in the news again.

Well, gee. My house might possibly, maybe be visited by a child at some point in the far future. I guess I'd better put child locks on my cabinets and only get childproof prescription bottles because, you know, it might possibly happen at some point maybe.

wyk3d

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wyk3d
mvann1978 wrote:Yup, this gadget is meant for kids/adults that don't swallow balls. Come on..

...it's just too easy to make a joke here.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
rachel0031 wrote:so, have you guys heard that these can pinch your child's intestines?? -.-

Yes, but only if swallowed. Polly pocket toys got the same bad rep a few years ago.

rachel0031

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachel0031

i was being facetious, since it was only mentioned 100 times.