Nileo2005

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nileo2005

Seeing how they aren't shy of making new Woot sites apparently (woot, kids, shirt, home, moofi, sellout), I feel like they should make a vacuum.woot and push all their dysons and roombas and other vacuum cleaners over there. I honestly believe I see enough of them over the family of sites to populate an entire site on its own. Anyone with me? Haha

n44nc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages n44nc
Nileo2005 wrote:Seeing how they aren't shy of making new Woot sites apparently (woot, kids, shirt, home, moofi, sellout), I feel like they should make a vacuum.woot and push all their dysons and roombas and other vacuum cleaners over there. I honestly believe I see enough of them over the family of sites to populate an entire site on its own. Anyone with me? Haha

I'd be all for that, how about clean.woot.com. Although I'd be for it for different reasons than you. I've bought a number of Roombas and this is my first Dyson. However, as much as you think you see them, when you really want one it takes forever to show back up. I mean, I haven't seen a Roomba in awhile and even that was a Woot-Off. At least Wooters like it clean.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

misguidedsoul

quality posts: 3 Private Messages misguidedsoul
fighterflight wrote:Fwiw that doesn't necessarily mean they don't work well. The CR ratings system incorporates price points; so Dyson is never going to be at the top of the list. And I think they also deduct points from Dyson for selling their attachments separately (and expensively)… things like that.

Sorry to disappoint. Consumer Reports ratings do not take into account price for vacuum cleaners. Price only affects ratings when they compare apples to apples, vitamin B to vitamin B, etc...
Dyson is third up from the bottom of the ratings because they suck! No really, they're not that good. and to buy one of the million refurbs they always sell here every other day, proves my point. They suck, or blow, depending on how you look at it!

Lyndaran

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lyndaran

I bought one and it has never worked...ever

ncarris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncarris
Bione wrote:And if it makes you feel any better still, I paid list price ($500) for DC25 about 3 years ago. It's an awesome vacuum cleaner. The difference between the DC25 and the DC24 are that the 24 has a telescopic handle for easier storage and is lighter. The DC25 is a bit bigger, a bit heavier, a little more powerful and has a bigger dirt collector. I wish I'd got the DC24, especially at this price!

This is what I came here for. After years of wootoffs and such pushing Dyson I pulled the trigger and got one. I am very happy with it and this deal doesn't change that but I would like to know more about why the 25 is $50 more. This post helped but I was hoping someone might know more specifically?

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228

Because of my work in a cleanroom, I have access to a particle counter. And out of curiosity I tested the dust count at the exhaust end of a friend's new Dyson DC24.

It wasn't good... It's also loud. Compared to my Miele S7-series, the Dyson had less suction, and pumped out about 5 times more particles. It's also 3 dB louder. My friend paid full price on the Dyson and was not pleased. As of this writing, his has also broken like others have reported here.

I'd spend a little more and stick to the Miele. It is robust and the service from Miele is phenomenal. You call, they pick up, they help and send you what you need.

xjzhang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xjzhang

how does this compare to DC33?

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
xjzhang wrote:how does this compare to DC33?

http://www.dyson.com/store/product_compare.asp - you can use the Compare tool on Dyson's website.

That said, I'd still not get one until their filters work as well as the Miele.

xjzhang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xjzhang
lll0228 wrote:http://www.dyson.com/store/product_compare.asp - you can use the Compare tool on Dyson's website.

That said, I'd still not get one until their filters work as well as the Miele.

not really looking for the "offical comparasion" on their site, more like personal experience....

duke96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duke96

try purchasing the Shark Navigator...that is truly a Dyson killer...they should be in court duking it out right about now...I love mine..and half the price (and NOT refurb...marketing guys..it's all about marketing)...hello Dyson...YOU are WAY OVER-PRICED. I do NOT work for Shark...just saw it on an info-mmercial and knew this was the one I wanted...again...google it...see what others say...jp

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bolligra wrote:I think you're ready for a Neato!

LOL. I did finally get a new battery for my old Sage Roomba. I do need to start running it more often. Sigh.

How is everyone this evening?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Caffeineismydrug

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Caffeineismydrug
lll0228 wrote: My friend paid full price on the Dyson and was not pleased. As of this writing, his has also broken like others have reported here.

I'd spend a little more and stick to the Miele. It is robust and the service from Miele is phenomenal. You call, they pick up, they help and send you what you need.

...And if your friend mailed it in for service, one of us might end up with it next week!

Also, the service from Dyson is pretty good. I called in with a few questions the other day, and the tech grabbed one off-the-shelf and we discussed component storage, different hoses and accessories, and then chatted for a few more minutes.

My father sent his DC28 in to Dyson after he sucked up some wet joint compound and drywall dust and crippled it. $75 and a week or so later, he was sucking up retriever fur again. He'll happily buy another Woot refurb.

While I believe your cleanroom testing apparatus, I don't think it is relevant. We are not in a low particle clean room, nor trying to create one. As fellow wooters use their Dysons, they'll shed tons of fresh skin cells and human hair.

The crap they dump in their trash bin (even if the clear bin is a gimmick) is real, and even though it appears that users are dumping more than they actually are (it's a loose knit wad of filth), the reassurance makes people vacuum more often, maintaining cleaner houses.

I'm sure the Miele is a good vacuum, but Woot is selling a Dyson today.

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

dinkledort

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dinkledort

Someone needs to explain to me why any vacuum is worth this much, let alone the $300-$400 these things go for retail. I just bought a new hoover upright for $60 and the thing is so strong it practically rips my carpet up. Admittedly I'm not a pet owner. Is pet hair really that insidious?

ThunderThighs

Staff

dinkledort wrote:Someone needs to explain to me why any vacuum is worth this much, let alone the $300-$400 these things go for retail. I just bought a new hoover upright for $60 and the thing is so strong it practically rips my carpet up. Admittedly I'm not a pet owner. Is pet hair really that insidious?

For me, the Dyson is a tank that just keeps on going. I've had my DC07 since probably 2002. When a friend was in the hospital, I brought some people in to clean his house because I had to bring his mom/sis to stay there. It was disgusting and I wasn't going to take them there without cleaning it. The cleaning people broke both their vacuum and my friend's. I got my Dyson and it finished the job and is still going.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Caffeineismydrug

dinkledort wrote:Someone needs to explain to me why any vacuum is worth this much, let alone the $300-$400 these things go for retail. I just bought a new hoover upright for $60 and the thing is so strong it practically rips my carpet up. Admittedly I'm not a pet owner. Is pet hair really that insidious?

Ever hear the expression, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand"?

This is a Dyson thing. For $199 + $5 shipping, you'll understand.

<BOYCOTT>Currently on Woot Boycott until Deal-A-Day site is restored to sanity</BOYCOTT>

ThunderThighs

Staff

Caffeineismydrug wrote:Doing well, TT; Why doesn't Woot ever sell follow up products/accessories like Roomba batteries?

Surely there are enough Wooters with:
--Roombas that could use some batteries
--Mr. Beers that need refills
--Flying Monkeys that need chairs
--Scoobas that need solution
--iGo Green chargers that need AAA cells

Additionally, some of the vendors have awesome other products:
Dyson's Air Blade dryer
Lovesac's Sactionals
Gladiator garage-ware

Just some thoughts about my crap that needs more crap..

I've suggested Roomba batteries before. My guess is that there's not a good supplier for the quantities we'd need and there's probably different types of batteries for various Roombas.

You have some good ideas there. The Write Us page has a link for just such things:

To recommend a product for woot to buy, or if you are a manufacturer seeking the exposure of selling through woot.com:

purchasing@woot.com

FORUM MODERATOR

Caffeineismydrug

ThunderThighs wrote:
You have some good ideas there. The Write Us page has a link for just such things:

Isn't that your job, patrolling the forums; looking [for ways] to satisfy wooters. Bringing ideas back to superiors so you get a big fat bonus check?

Woot better get on the "ball", I just found an awesome looking Dyson dog grooming accessory that will be purchased before Father's Day.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Caffeineismydrug wrote:Isn't that your job, patrolling the forums; looking [for ways] to satisfy wooters. Bringing ideas back to superiors so you get a big fat bonus check?

Woot better get on the "ball", I just found an awesome looking Dyson dog grooming accessory that will be purchased before Father's Day.

I'd have to clean the carpet from the pee if I tried that on dear old Maisy.

And I do send many suggestions on.

FORUM MODERATOR

tatyanafreire

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tatyanafreire
lichme wrote:How does this thing transition between carpet and hardwood floors?

They have a little gray button you press at the top.

jsmith98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsmith98

I was back and forth on a lot of points. i went for it. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one!

mmunoz5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmunoz5
lichme wrote:How does this thing transition between carpet and hardwood floors?

Here's a nifty video from their website. Look for the hardwood to rug transition:
http://media.dyson.com/assets/video/products/US/RetailOnline/DC24_MULTIFLOOR_US.flv

mazrim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mazrim

Anyone actually get a shipment confirmation on these yet?

Gnomercy

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Gnomercy

Mine arrived today at 3:30PM CST. The top of box read "143 of 477" as part of the labeling.

I'll write a complete review later, but here's my initial impression.

Unpacking was way too difficult. The DC24 purple inside smelled like cat, and wheels/ball were dirty/sandy. I have found short animal hairs and dust on every surface. I expected much better from the "high end image" Dyson tries to evoke.

Having bought 4 refurbed Roombas that arrived in immaculate condition, so far I'm not pleased. This before I've even attempted to turn it on.

mazrim wrote:Anyone actually get a shipment confirmation on these yet?

n44nc

quality posts: 9 Private Messages n44nc
Gnomercy wrote:Mine arrived today at 3:30PM CST. The top of box read "143 of 477" as part of the labeling.

I'll write a complete review later, but here's my initial impression.

Unpacking was way too difficult. The DC24 purple inside smelled like cat, and wheels/ball were dirty/sandy. I have found short animal hairs and dust on every surface. I expected much better from the "high end image" Dyson tries to evoke.

Having bought 4 refurbed Roombas that arrived in immaculate condition, so far I'm not pleased. This before I've even attempted to turn it on.

Mine was 147...this was lightning fast shipping! This was just up Tuesday!

Mine was clean(purple edition) and easy to unpack. I was vacuuming within 5 minutes from the first second I opened the box and that took into account examining time. Very pleased thus far.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

mlindholm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlindholm
n44nc wrote:Mine was 147...this was lightning fast shipping! This was just up Tuesday!

Mine was clean(purple edition) and easy to unpack. I was vacuuming within 5 minutes from the first second I opened the box and that took into account examining time. Very pleased thus far.

Mine arrives tomorrow, I too was a bit shocked at the quick ship time. It says it's coming from Illinois/Indiana, so that explains the short transit time to Iowa. The fast lead time has me pleasantly baffled...if I were to hazzard a guess, I'd say these were drop-shipped, or fulfilled by Amazon, not Woot proper.

I won't be home from vacation until Monday evening, so it'll be sitting at my folks until then.

Bah! FedEx, why must you tease me so??

Gnomercy

Update on my experiences with refurbed purple Dyson:

I turned on the vacuum and immediately my animal dander allergy kicked in. The smell from the motor exhaust was strong of animal, my guess - cat.

I inspected all filters and they were obviously brand new and clean. The clear bin smelled like ammonia and muck stuck in label adhesive residue on bin front. The back wheels were covered in gritty sand and the ball was dirty.

I was able to tolerate the smell for 10 minutes and during that time the vacuum did perform up to my expectations. It is light and easy to maneuver. The suction is good for the small size of the motor with average noise. Hose is flexible but too short, single attachment included is barely adequate, but suction of wand is very good. Wand use with attachment is awkward because the sliding extension will only lock fully extended, not while in shortest (storage) position. This is not my idea of a good all purpose vacuum.

I guess I lost the refurb lottery because with my allergies I am unable to use this vacuum. I won't gamble again on non-returnable items. I expected better from Dyson and from Woot.

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

Gnomercy wrote:
I guess I lost the refurb lottery because with my allergies I am unable to use this vacuum. I won't gamble again on non-returnable items. I expected better from Dyson and from Woot.

Sorry you got a stinky vacuum. I don't see that you emailed in yet. Send us a note and we'll see what we can do for you.

ghianellis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghianellis

Well done, Woot. Mine just got delivered today--3 days after placing the order! This must be a Woot world record!

Now I can spend the weekend vacuuming...

lcastil1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lcastil1

I got mine on the 19th and it was clean! It was not a pain to unbox and assemble. It did not look used at all. It looks like this was drop shipped by Amazon.

We got the Purple Animal model.

I did notice a burning smell when powered on for the first few minutes of use.

My Wife wanted to put this vacum to the test. The reason we got this is to help with the allergies to the cat we have.

She went upstairs and vacuumed our room first with the bag-less Hoover we purchased from Wally world about a year ago. The hoover did its job and left the carpet seemingly clean.

She then fired up the Dyson Animal and to our surprise, it got about a quarter of the canister full with CAT HAIR!!!!

My only complaints so far are that the power cord should be a little longer, the canister could be a little bigger, and the Handle should also lock in the short position and not just when extended.

Overall, we are very happy with this purchase and would recommend it to those who want to get the pet hair out of the rug!

Gnomercy

Thanks Dennis.

I sent in an email today.

gclites

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gclites

Terrible...floor beater bar does not work...now to find a way to return this useless vacuum.

jovandi21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jovandi21

I love it!

nortman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nortman

I received this vacuum, but there is no extension hose for it. anybody else get that

kkshields

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kkshields
nortman wrote:I received this vacuum, but there is no extension hose for it. anybody else get that

Sorry about that. We've got your email. You should receive a response with some options shortly.