cjpowers

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cjpowers
corderbo wrote:I just went to ROKU.com and they hav a NEW ROKU for sale and free shipping for $49.99. Wazzzz-UP??

Different model - that's the basic model. Go to the comparison page at Roku.com to see the differences.

Texodore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Texodore

re: streaming from a NAS, I have a desktop that's on all day that runs Plex Media Server. The Roku has a Plex client. Put the tv/movies on your NAS. Point the Plex Media Server to the folders. Works great. I think there are some other solutions, but I don't know of many if any that don't require another piece of software or other device on your network.

gemeinschaft79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gemeinschaft79
bluzenhere wrote:Is Roku a supported device? I couldn't find it listed on the playon web site...also what additional charge are there for the network type channels?

I have PlayOn for my 1st generation roku and it works great. I paid $50 for a lifetime PlayOn subscription (but i think you can pay $4/mo) and that subscription gives me access to all their channel content for no additional charge. Its a great way to watch network programming, and it offers HBOGo now. I know there is a HBOGo roku channel, but currently Comcast doesn't support it, so I can't use it. But the PlayOn HBOGo channel works great on the Roku.

@awriteword

My Cellar

My Blog

scyber

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scyber
stevethorpe wrote:Does this model get HBOGo?

Yes. Outside of the games, there are very few channels that won't run on all Roku boxes. Even those that have Roku2 specific features (such as Netflix with 1080p & captions), still have a Roku1 version of their channel.

harrv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harrv

Without the ability to play multiple video files and codecs from an SMB share, this isn't very interesting to me.

LupoScuro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LupoScuro

Does anyone know if it runs home media servers. UNLP or wtvr?

fdx247

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fdx247

I use the Roku to stream MLB.com daily - works with no problem - ditched cable and my only complaint is I should have done it sooner.

smithd685

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smithd685
blaze1984 wrote:How does this do streaming from an NAS. I know my western digital box handles that like a champ. But this will let me use netflix and Amazon prime instant video.

So if this can handle files from my NAS, I don't think I'd use my media center PC at all.

And by the way, how about file compatibility? A lot of old threads in the Roku support forum say it struggles with MKVs and FLV files (in fact, my WD box plays everything I throw at it except FLVs). Any thoughts appreciated.

By the way, I'm aware of Roksbox, but I want something where I don't have to turn on a computer at all. I believe that to use an NAS to stream, I need to have a computer on at all times. If that's the case, then my media center PC wins.

At my house, we set up a old computer running an app called 'plex', which connects the roku to our server. It will actually take all your movies, find the correct descriptions, run times, images, etc..., and make a personal netflix-like menu for you to watch your stuff. It's basically netflix for your library. It takes a little work to fine tune it, but there are many guides online to help you out and get going. Plex will also auto-convert a file while streaming, so you don't have to worry about converting files either (except very old realplayer files don't work...)

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling

Bought this the last time it was on Woot, and like it. However, I probably wouldn't have bought it now, since Amazon streaming is available on PS3.

kcitrenbaum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcitrenbaum

Any reason to upgrade from the HD-XR?

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I think the key to these types of devices is the speed and quality of your line.

I bought a Boxee mainly to use with MLB.TV. Unfortunately, refusing to pay for a landline (I have Ooma) I am forced to have a dry loop DSL line with a max speed of 1-3mps.

I like the Boxee for playing my own media, but streaming, like MLB.TV, is really hit or miss. Sometimes I can sit and watch a whole game or surf through many games without a hiccup. However, other times there is lots of buffering that ruins the whole viewing experience. It is the same with other channels as well.

I imagine the same would be true with a Roku as the Boxee. I did cancel my Comcast and am using an antenna for local programming, but I do miss some sports (like Stanley Cup - my Flyers). You do get some nationally televised games on local channels (NBC, Fox, etc) which are often blacked out on MLB.TV

On the whole I am happy with the overall change from Comcast to Boxee/antenna. I am saving more than $70 monthly too.

PS. Verizon has just sent me notice that if I have any problems with my dry loop DSL, I will have to get a landline to use them as my ISP. :-((

Cusuldor

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Cusuldor

The differences between this and the newer Roku 2 is the gaming options and motion controller, eveything else is the same. Here is some good reading on the subject :

http://gizmodo.com/5827779/roku-2-same-old-same-old

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981
robio wrote:I have this exact one, and the only problem I've ever had is that it's occasionally slow to respond to the remote. A reboot has fixed the problem each of the 3 times it's happened over the last 5 months.

Otherwise, this thing is the cat's pajamas.

/do wish there was a YouTube channel tho.

Get the PlayOn Channel. That will allow you to access YouTube. It is a subscription channel, but I paid $50 for a lifetime subscription to it. They also offer monthly and annual subscriptions. Check it out at www.playon.tv/playon.

dbienenf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbienenf

Wireless question: How sensitive is the wireless receiver on this item? I got a Blu-Ray player with wireless and had to move my router till it was almost next to the player before it would pick up the signal. My router is now one flight and about 50 ft. from where I would want to set up the Roku (and hard-wire is not an option).

autoharp1264

quality posts: 1 Private Messages autoharp1264
spiras wrote:Im telling you, buy this. I own one and it is the best thing ever. Get the channel Playon (google it). Then add the plugin tvlinks. (Google it).
With tvlinks, you can cancel your cable tv because you can watch any episode of any tv show ever. Like movies? Take your pick. There are so many channels that arent even listed. The sky is the limit. Trust me. I havent slept since i got mine. Ok thats all for now. Back to watching tv.

Is tvlinks part of Playon?

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

Are there any problems using this overseas, specifically in Saudi Arabia? Are Hulu or Netflix or a similar service available there?

rangerlg

quality posts: 8 Private Messages rangerlg
dbienenf wrote:Wireless question: How sensitive is the wireless receiver on this item? I got a Blu-Ray player with wireless and had to move my router till it was almost next to the player before it would pick up the signal. My router is now one flight and about 50 ft. from where I would want to set up the Roku (and hard-wire is not an option).

I have my Roku in my bedroom and my router is in the living through a wall. Probably about 15 feet and the signal is always full.

autoharp1264

I forget...do you need a subscription for Roku or just buy the box and access stuff through your Internet connection?

greddy09sc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greddy09sc

It say plays music from your itunes. I don't use itunes. Can it just play mp3's from your pc to your receiver?

autoharp1264

autoharp1264 wrote:I forget...do you need a subscription for Roku or just buy the box and access stuff through your Internet connection?

Nevermind. No subscription required. Silly question.

Kewina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kewina

I ordered the XDS when it came up here last month. Actually got 2 then ordered a Roku2 from Amazon when it was on sale (the one with Angry Birds). Set up is easy even with long WPA password. One of the remotes did seem to quit working (maybe because I dropped it) but when I contacted Roku customer support, they had a new remote on its way FedEx in 2 days, no questions asked. This won't completely replace cable/satellite but it gets pretty close if you Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime. The only thing the XD is missing over the last Woot offering (XDS) is USB port.

Kewina

titiwaka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages titiwaka

I would buy this if it had the ability to play back AVI and DIVX files. Alas, it does not.

If you want to stream AVI files, save up the extra $50 bucks and buy the WD TV.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

ohneauxs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohneauxs

I love my Roku.

My review of the original.

I'm considering this for another TV in the house. We ditched cable altogether, and it's awesome.

joeyj89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeyj89

Haven't really looked into these since we have a smart tv in the living room but the tv in our bedroom is not. So we have a laptop with hdmi connected to the tv to watch hulu and netflix at night. The biggest problem with this is that we have no remote to use on the computer only to turn off the tv so we don't stay up all night.

So I guess what I'm asking is does this replace the laptop + hdmi setup we have upstairs? It would be like heaven having a remote so we can watch more than one episode of something on netflix.

jasonh24

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jasonh24

Dont bother! This thing is mostly for streaming services only. If you want a real streaming device get a WDTVLive which can connect to windows/linux shares and stream your own content too.

zwoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zwoman

So for the Roku-ignorant, such as myself - do you drop your cable completely when you get one of these, or do you keep the "basic" cable for local stations and just dump the extra stations? I would still want to see the local news and prime-time TV, although I'm guessing prime-time station shows are probably all now available via Netflix or Hulu? Please educate me - so I can jump over to the Roku-knowledgeable side! Thanks!

jimberkas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimberkas

I have two XDS units and love them. Very easy for the wife (hates gadgets and complicated tech) and kids to use. I use Plex to stream all the kids movies, it works great and no more digging through a hundred DVDs to find the one movie they want to watch.

To anyone who has Plex and Playon, which do you recommend? Are is there an advantage to using both? I'm considering get Playon for Hulu and other plugins.

nickexperience

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickexperience
blaze1984 wrote:How does this do streaming from an NAS. I know my western digital box handles that like a champ. But this will let me use netflix and Amazon prime instant video.

So if this can handle files from my NAS, I don't think I'd use my media center PC at all.

And by the way, how about file compatibility? A lot of old threads in the Roku support forum say it struggles with MKVs and FLV files (in fact, my WD box plays everything I throw at it except FLVs). Any thoughts appreciated.

By the way, I'm aware of Roksbox, but I want something where I don't have to turn on a computer at all. I believe that to use an NAS to stream, I need to have a computer on at all times. If that's the case, then my media center PC wins.

It doesn't do streaming well. There is a Plex "channel" that will let you stream, but you need a computer on. I finally settled on the WDTV live box. It streams from my NAS with no computer interlocutor and plays every file format I've thrown at it. I've tried them all too. Boxee Box, HTPC, PS3, Roku. The one downside I suppose is that it doesn't have an Amazon VOD app, but it does have Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Vimeo, and a bunch of others.

autryld

quality posts: 6 Private Messages autryld
autryld wrote:I recommend this over Roku2.

Some folks are confusing the term "composite" and "component". Composite is the RCA connector with separate audio. Component is a three-wire solution with separate audio. All units have _composite_ video. Roku2 does not have component video. I have a the 2100 because it has a component connector. This one doesn't.

If you have the 2100 you need a special breakout cable. The standard three connector setup for PCs won't work. You can buy the cable from Roku or you can search on the web for an inexpensive replacement. I found mine on Amazon but I got a clue which one to buy from Google.

I haven't tried Roksbox but I have Plex (free) and PlayOn. Both serve up your own local media files to your local network and the Roku has apps for both.

Edit -- this unit does not have component video.

snowcraig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snowcraig

So, what does this do that my PS3 doesn't do?

nickexperience

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickexperience
snowcraig wrote:So, what does this do that my PS3 doesn't do?

Play pretty much all file-types directly from a NAS without the need for a computer to be on. It also has way more streaming options. Like Youtube, Vimeo, Spotify, etc.

Edit: Sorry, I was actually still talking about the WDTV Live, which I believe is a superior device.

martytib

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martytib

Can someone tell why this is any better than the Blu-Ray players I already have which support streaming? What benefit can this device provide? Thanks!

hayedid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hayedid

I got one of these last week... returning it today as all the free shows are either smut shows, very old, or were missing.

The channels that looked the most interesting on Roku all required a subscription.

acorona4ever

quality posts: 7 Private Messages acorona4ever
paulpnevada wrote:So how does this compare to the IOGear kit over on deals.woot.com/sellout on the JustDeals site?

They look comparable, so which is better?

how did you get 21 quality posts? lol

acorona4ever

quality posts: 7 Private Messages acorona4ever
snowcraig wrote:So, what does this do that my PS3 doesn't do?

Also uses less electricity. mine doesn't even get warm unless completely cover the top.

madcow19

quality posts: 10 Private Messages madcow19

I got this model when it was first offered on sellout.woot last year. It works great and is wonderful for when my daughter wants to watch "Blues Clues".

The only downside was it was nigh impossible to get it to play nice with my network. It connected the first time and downloaded an update, and then would NOT connect again through wireless.

I tried everything I could think of (change encryption, no encryption, change wireless channels,etc.) and just couldn't get it to work for over 4 hours.

What finally did work, and what I still have to do if I ever unplug the Roku, is reset my router and have the Roku be the first thing to connect with it once it comes back online.

Weird, and frustrating, but I love it. Although, if I wasn't so tech savvy and stubborn, it would have got RMA'd as soon as it came out of the box.

dwarf74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwarf74

My wife and I have two of these, and they're pretty incredible. We're still in the stone age, TV-wise, so we have no HD capabilities.

These are probably the best streaming solution for anyone without HDMI ports in their TVs.

dlcarst77

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dlcarst77

There are a few important things to note about this. First, most worth-while streaming services have fees, and the sports are several hundred dollars apiece per season and you can't watch your local teams. For instance, I live in southern Illinois and can't watch the Cardinals, Cubs, or White Sox, no matter where or who they play. Second, to watch in HD you'll have to have a super-fast internet connection. IF you're thinking about ditching your satellite service for this but don't otherwise need a fast connection, it may not be worth it to upgrade your internet and pay several monthly fees for streaming services and lose other programming you can't otherwise get. Also, if you have a current major game video game system you probably don't need one of these. Playstation 3 has most of these streaming services and doesn't charge a fee to access online content (unlike XBox), plus it's a blu-ray player and game system.

Woots: 24
Hours wasted on Woot: countless
Regrets: 0

syninthecity

quality posts: 10 Private Messages syninthecity
dbienenf wrote:Wireless question: How sensitive is the wireless receiver on this item? I got a Blu-Ray player with wireless and had to move my router till it was almost next to the player before it would pick up the signal. My router is now one flight and about 50 ft. from where I would want to set up the Roku (and hard-wire is not an option).

i've got three of them in various spots in the house, i'll occasioanlly have to refresh the connection for the furthest one, but overall it keeps connection via wireless better than the wii i've got on a 4th that's closer. Playon really does make it shine, with local media streaming and extendable plug ins. This is perfect, i was just debating grabbing a 4th box yesterday.

Bakasama13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bakasama13
titiwaka wrote:I would buy this if it had the ability to play back AVI and DIVX files. Alas, it does not.

If you want to stream AVI files, save up the extra $50 bucks and buy the WD TV.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005KOZNBW/
Same product for $93 @amazon. Personally find them more friendly when things go wrong...