buzzwang

quality posts: 10 Private Messages buzzwang

Another option is Plex Media Server at plexapp.com

I looked at RoksBox, Plex and another one that begins with a 'C' (can't remember the name) and decided on Plex for my needs. If you install it on a Mac instead of a PC, there is even a plugin to stream TiVo shows via Plex to a Roku besides your standard MPG, MP4 and MKV files.

It's kinda nice.

ohneauxs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohneauxs
zwoman wrote:So for the Roku-ignorant, such as myself - do you drop your cable completely when you get one of these, or do you keep the "basic" cable for local stations and just dump the extra stations? I would still want to see the local news and prime-time TV, although I'm guessing prime-time station shows are probably all now available via Netflix or Hulu? Please educate me - so I can jump over to the Roku-knowledgeable side! Thanks!

We got rid of cable TV entirely. I believe Hulu Plus has prime time shows when they're aired.

buzzwang

buzzwang wrote:Another option is Plex Media Server at plexapp.com

I looked at RoksBox, Plex and another one that begins with a 'C' (can't remember the name) and decided on Plex for my needs. If you install it on a Mac instead of a PC, there is even a plugin to stream TiVo shows via Plex to a Roku besides your standard MPG, MP4 and MKV files.

It's kinda nice.

Just remembered the third one - Chaneru.

buzzwang

harrv wrote:Without the ability to play multiple video files and codecs from an SMB share, this isn't very interesting to me.

Three options:

Plex
RoksBox
Chaneru

All run in/on Windows and share audio and/or video to a Roku.

kwheatcroft

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kwheatcroft

I would recommend getting unblock-us, for $5 per month, it shows as if you are located in the US. And setup is a snap. Netflix works great for me.

scottloveskate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scottloveskate

FWIW, Roku has excellent customer service.

I bought this item in a previous Woot-off, and it was DOA. I chatted with a Roku customer service rep, and they sent me out a new power cord - it arrived in about four days. It didn't fix the problem, so I chatted online with a different rep and they gave me an RMA number and I mailed back the Roku XD and received what looks to be a new player within 10 days (there's no indication it's refurbished).

Chatting had virtually no wait and was waaay better than over the phone. Plus I didn't have to write anything down! I received emails with tracking numbers after they shipped my items.

And this one works great - got it set up in about 15 minutes with all the Roku channels I wanted. I had Hulu+ going in no time. All in all, I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking to save money off cable or satellite.

smbruce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smbruce

I bought one of these the last time they were on Woot. I'm in for another one. It works great with my Plex media server.

kahawken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kahawken
fdx247 wrote:I use the Roku to stream MLB.com daily - works with no problem - ditched cable and my only complaint is I should have done it sooner.

Do you have a paid subscription for MLB or is that free online ? ie I watch SF Giants but unable to view on TV where I'm located and didn't think I would be able to see online as well.???

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
acorona4ever wrote:how did you get 21 quality posts? lol

Not by giving a snotty non-answer to a legitimate question. Sorry if my ignorance of streaming devices and services offends your sensibilities.

dapplegrey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dapplegrey

I currently have an RCA version of the Roku. It seems to work ok, but only for Netflix (& Pandora). In order to watch my Hulu plus I have to watch directly from my computer (I can't figure out how to hook my computer to my TV). But... my frustration is trying to watch Hulu through the RCA, it won't buffer. It just starts right up and then skips and pauses. Will this Roku 1080 work to correct that? Currently Netflix seems to work fine, because it will actually load.

jayhafner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jayhafner
zwoman wrote:So for the Roku-ignorant, such as myself - do you drop your cable completely when you get one of these, or do you keep the "basic" cable for local stations and just dump the extra stations? I would still want to see the local news and prime-time TV, although I'm guessing prime-time station shows are probably all now available via Netflix or Hulu? Please educate me - so I can jump over to the Roku-knowledgeable side! Thanks!

Those who dropped cable entirely probably switched to antenna for local TV. Try it out...even if you put up "Rabbit Ears", you'll probabaly be surprised at how many channels you get FOR FREE!!!
Then get the ROKU for even MORE stuff!

badger65

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badger65

If I want to use this for Pandora on my stereo, would this bee my best and least expensive option?

spatel99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spatel99

i saw something about newer TVs not having composite video ports...i will be scooting to Costco or Amazon and buying a new 37"-42" TV (Philips, Panasonic, LG, Vizio, Sony, etc.)...are the chances high that this Roku version will NOT work with one of these TVs? i realize i'm not providing any model numbers or anything here, which makes my question kinda inane, huh? thanks in advance for any help, wooters!

LadyBlueDragon

quality posts: 2 Private Messages LadyBlueDragon

I've been looking for someway to utilize the house wi-fi in our newly finished basement kids' prison, I mean, rec room so I'm hoping this will work. Thanks to all the posters for the tips - convinced me to pull the trigger and get one.

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
kahawken wrote:Do you have a paid subscription for MLB or is that free online ? ie I watch SF Giants but unable to view on TV where I'm located and didn't think I would be able to see online as well.???

MLB Live is $125/yr or $25/month for streaming on the Roku and other devices. $120/yr or $20/month on your PC. For blackout rules see:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?&c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU#blackout

ohneauxs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohneauxs
dapplegrey wrote:I currently have an RCA version of the Roku. It seems to work ok, but only for Netflix (& Pandora). In order to watch my Hulu plus I have to watch directly from my computer (I can't figure out how to hook my computer to my TV). But... my frustration is trying to watch Hulu through the RCA, it won't buffer. It just starts right up and then skips and pauses. Will this Roku 1080 work to correct that? Currently Netflix seems to work fine, because it will actually load.

Mine works fine with Hulu and every other channel I've added to it.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
tulsasnavy wrote:Does this machine work in international places....like the Kingdom of Bahrain???

I've asked a similar question, for the same reason. In KSA we have to use a VPN service to have unfiltered access to the Internet.

There are many places in the world that filter, block or otherwise deny access to content deemed threatening or offensive by the authorities. Be thankful if you don't have to live or work in one.

dschneider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschneider

I can't use this as a replacement for cable, as I'm a huge sports fan. However, I see the part in the description that says "Watch major sports." Can someone shed some light on what this can do?

jimberkas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimberkas
badger65 wrote:If I want to use this for Pandora on my stereo, would this bee my best and least expensive option?

Yes, i think so. my wife uses ours to listen to Pandora all the time. Works great.

jimberkas

spatel99 wrote:i saw something about newer TVs not having composite video ports...i will be scooting to Costco or Amazon and buying a new 37"-42" TV (Philips, Panasonic, LG, Vizio, Sony, etc.)...are the chances high that this Roku version will NOT work with one of these TVs? i realize i'm not providing any model numbers or anything here, which makes my question kinda inane, huh? thanks in advance for any help, wooters!

This will definitely work on any newer TV. It has HDMI connection which is what you'll want to use on the new TV. This roku has composite and HDMI connection. Composite is for older TV's without HDMI.

rthomsonvw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rthomsonvw

I have 3 roku's now and cut the cable cord last week. They work great! Get playon - it can be a bit glitchy but works for the most part.

For the people complaining about the WiFi just get the power line adapters for your network. That's what I did and it worked great!

kisrita

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kisrita
titiwaka wrote:I would buy this if it had the ability to play back AVI and DIVX files. Alas, it does not.

If you want to stream AVI files, save up the extra $50 bucks and buy the WD TV.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

or you could install plex media server on your pc, and the plex channel on the roku.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
worldwidewebfeet wrote:MLB Live is $125/yr or $25/month for streaming on the Roku and other devices. $120/yr or $20/month on your PC. For blackout rules see:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?&c_id=mlb&affiliateId=mlbMENU#blackout

I looked at MLB and figure it's okay for an option, as long as you don't want to actually watch your home team through it. (I guess that's what local bars are for, though.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

kingsleygershon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingsleygershon
gobaers wrote:
MLB.tv Premium allows you to watch most out-of-market baseball games. No, you can't tune into anything that will be available to you via cable, but it's been a great to watch my beloved Dodgers from Oakland.

Baseball: A note on the MLB channel, you don't need a subscription to watch the free game of the day. You can watch the home or the away team's TV broadcast. The ads are usually blanked screensaver and silent, or they were last season.

badger65

quality posts: 12 Private Messages badger65
jimberkas wrote:Yes, i think so. my wife uses ours to listen to Pandora all the time. Works great.

Thank you.

MrJazz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrJazz

OK, I have a net-top HTPC... is there any reason I would want to add this to my setup?

worldwidewebfeet

quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
dschneider wrote:I can't use this as a replacement for cable, as I'm a huge sports fan. However, I see the part in the description that says "Watch major sports." Can someone shed some light on what this can do?

"Watch major sports" is advertising artistic license. For Roku's complete "sports" channels.

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#3

Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

This should cut down my Comcast bill in half!

Of course, now that Woot has sold one to me, I've have to sell the idea to the family.

Signature censored by Woot

uberporsche

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uberporsche

This is not a roku 2

jsharpley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsharpley
curtise wrote:What are the little blue Roku tab things hanging off the box and the remote? Are they fabric tags like on the back of clothing? Are they plastic tabs? Are they removable?

The one on the remote in particular looks like it would get in the way of use.

-=C=-

They are fabric and they stay on. I've got two of this model, and you hardly notice the tab after a day or two.

jsharpley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jsharpley
buzzwang wrote:Another option is Plex Media Server at plexapp.com

It's kinda nice.

Plex is awesome for home streaming, and now officially supported by Roku. I think it's addition really puts Roku on par for network streaming with the AppleTV.

jimberkas

MrJazz wrote:OK, I have a net-top HTPC... is there any reason I would want to add this to my setup?

probably not. there is maybe some energy savings. Other than that, you should be able to do more with your HTPC

metalhead15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalhead15

Is it possible to watch NHL playoffs through this? or get local news?

aaacccchhh8719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaacccchhh8719

Would my boyfriend like this to stream sports from his computer onto our bigscreen?

hectorcos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hectorcos

can you conect this to a projector ?

jimberkas

hectorcos wrote:can you conect this to a projector ?

Yes,as long as your projector has HDMI or composite connection (which it most likely does)

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo

I have had this model for a while now. The only problem was the remote seemed to loose 'pairing' with the unit. I rebooted a few times but changing the BRAND of batteries has completely solved the problem. Had this issue with a clock and a camera I've owned over the years - don't know why, I am not an engineer, just a geek.
Otherwise, I am cable-free and LOVE my Netflix and Roku channels!

tenbones

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tenbones

Ok! I'll admit I'm completely ignorant about Roku or streaming devices in general. I live in "fly-over" country where I can't even get cable and I don't have a dish. I have an HD converter box and I get all my broadcasts via an outside antenna. I get the usual programs such as Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and a couple other channels.

What I would like to know is, if ROKU would work for me? I don't want to lose my access to the channels I already get.

Tenbones

venizen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages venizen

Which Powerline brand/adapters did you use? I went back to ancient Panasonics after my upgrade to Dlink powerline died after 4 months, w/o any changes in the house network or appliance locations.

joe43wv

quality posts: 14 Private Messages joe43wv
tenbones wrote:Ok! I'll admit I'm completely ignorant about Roku or streaming devices in general. I live in "fly-over" country where I can't even get cable and I don't have a dish. I have an HD converter box and I get all my broadcasts via an outside antenna. I get the usual programs such as Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS and a couple other channels.

What I would like to know is, if ROKU would work for me? I don't want to lose my access to the channels I already get.

Tenbones

As long as your TV has an available RCA or HDMI port then yes it should work just fine. All you have to do is switch between inputs on your tv via your settings. Also, you need high speed internet to receive the content.