WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How will you remember Dick Clark most?
  • 32.7% - American Bandstand, of course. 686
  • 17.8% - As America’s Oldest Teenager. Seriously, the man never aged! 373
  • 36.3% - New Year’s Rockin’ Eve. I watched every year. 761
  • 9.3% - Game show. Egyptians. The $10,000 Pyramid! 195
  • 4% - His cameo in Police Squad. 84
2099 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

zikzak

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak

You just know he's going to turn up next New Year's Eve...
...as a "hologram."

BigZ7337

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigZ7337

Sadly, I'll only be able to remember him as he was in his last years after the stroke. I don't know why he insisted on still doing the New Years celebrations, it kind of ruined my mental image of him.

jbatts53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbatts53

I wonder if it will still be called rose bud clark's rockin new years eve. maybe they will change the name to ryan seacrest's new years bash. who doesn't want to bash ryan seacrest?

jbatts53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbatts53

rosebud that's awesome.....

bblhed

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bblhed

All those things, lets face it, the man was an icon.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

I'll remember him best for one of his seemingly forgotten shows, "Where the Action Is". It came on ABC right before (or after?) "Dark Shadows" and the opening theme was by Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon. It launched the career of Paul Revere and the Raiders who became a sort of house band for the show.

The list of guests was long and impressive but all I remember are The 4 Season, Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs (Little Red Riding Hood) and Gary Lewis and the Playboys (Who Wants to Buy).

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

meh.

galatz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages galatz

I will always remember him as the man who was forced to continue to count down new years even though he couldnt do it. He would miss numbers and say "Happy Do Year"

Thats how I remember him

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Standing next to Ed McMahon commenting on the bloopers.

The standout being when George Foreman introduced his first grill, they did about 50 takes where he kept calling saying "hamburger" at random points during the name of the product.

Finally, Clark turns to the camera and explains, "The word 'hamburger' isn't even in the script."

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
BigZ7337 wrote:Sadly, I'll only be able to remember him as he was in his last years after the stroke. I don't know why he insisted on still doing the New Years celebrations, it kind of ruined my mental image of him.

Clark had said that continuing to be part of the annual celebration after his stroke was the highlight of what had become a very difficult life, and that he greatly looked forward to it each year.

jjfahey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jjfahey

Helping lock him in the "library" at the Syracuse DKE house ~1978

swanssy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swanssy

No mention of TV's Bloopers/Practical Jokes? That's the thing I always remember.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar

Some guy that did some tv something, and then he died and people talked about it. Last year was the first I had heard of him.

Still single, can't imagine why.

IrishLass622

quality posts: 5 Private Messages IrishLass622
FenStar wrote:Some guy that did some tv something, and then he died and people talked about it. Last year was the first I had heard of him.

What a sad life you must have...

RDiver83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RDiver83

Never heard of him.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

FenStar wrote:Some guy that did some tv something, and then he died and people talked about it. Last year was the first I had heard of him.

//snack

Were you living under a rock?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

Bloopers and Practical Jokes. With Ed McMahon.

But I said Police Squad because I really loved that and the Naked Gun movies.

Centinel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Centinel

Whenever I think of rose bud Clark, I always think of when PiL appeared on American Bandstand. I'm sure he was pissed at the time when Johnny Lydon went his usual nutso, but I'll give him credit for putting it in the top ten appearances on AB.

hikerjohnd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hikerjohnd

Who?

spicedrum

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spicedrum

I can't vote because he was everywhere and did everything, and I can't pick just one.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
BigZ7337 wrote:Sadly, I'll only be able to remember him as he was in his last years after the stroke. I don't know why he insisted on still doing the New Years celebrations, it kind of ruined my mental image of him.

Same here. I, like most people born after 1980, only really know him as that doddering old guy that does one of the New Years shows.

rlj1010

quality posts: 12 Private Messages rlj1010

I will remember him this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8BE0Gq8_Xo

lyricmezzosoprano

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lyricmezzosoprano
RDiver83 wrote:Never heard of him.

This.

mopsatj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mopsatj

America's Funniest Bloopers! C'mon people! Don't forget the bloopers!

marymcg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marymcg

None of the above.

I was a contestant on a short-lived game show in the early 90's, called "The Challengers." rose bud Clark was the host. He was nothing but gracious and kind to us contestants. However...at one point he made an error (called an answer wrong when it was right) and they had to roll the tape back and re-record from that point. Then there was a glitch of some kind, and it took them 15 minutes or more to get it fixed. He started fuming over the delay, and finally he yelled "You've lost the procreate*ing audience, and now you're losing the procreate*ing host!!" and stormed off the set. When they finally got ready to tape again, somebody went and got him, and he was perfectly pleasant again as we finished the show. But I know now that he wasn't always that smooth, cheerful guy we saw on TV!

MaryMcG

"Espresso est, ergo cogito."

mtexter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtexter
galatz wrote:I will always remember him as the man who was forced to continue to count down new years even though he couldnt do it. He would miss numbers and say "Happy Do Year"

Thats how I remember him

exactly what i was gonna say. a stroke's no joke :P

bobhodges

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobhodges

His whole body of work is how I will remember him. He is an icon of the development of television.

I was also remember him as a guy my mother dated at Syracuse. She and DC went on double dates with her best friend and Jerry Stiller.

Cool trivia!

xdavex

quality posts: 16 Private Messages xdavex

rose bud Clark died in a year when the Mayans say there won't be a New Year...