4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
CamelBak Groove .6L Bottle 2-Pack
$14.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

krenbaird

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krenbaird

Anyone know how much replacement filters cost?

kimtimothy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimtimothy

Amazon

Great reviews!

philipthegreat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages philipthegreat

These things are great. I've got a couple for when I go hiking. Drop them off the mountain, and when you get the the bottom, they're alright. Tough little water bottles!

DrKPA05

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DrKPA05

Seems like a great deal -- Amazon is selling this for over $16 for one bottle.

cpxchewy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cpxchewy

I LOVE these filtered water bottles. They make my life so much easier living as a college student where I'm too poor to buy bottle water and no time to fill up a Brita Water Filter.

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1

Wow, I have one of these and I love it. Usually $25 EACH, so this is a great deal. Gonna have a hard time passing them up, just wish they came in different colors because the one I own is this exact color (now discontinued, probably why woot has them).

Edit: Since it's Earth Day, would the woot gods please combine my shipping fees and the actual shipping of these plus the batteries? It would really help my carbon footprint....

JirafaBo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JirafaBo

A good price for a 2-pack. Amazon has these for about $15 per one bottle.

Here's some reviews too. Just remember, you have to bite the valve to get the water out.

Reviews @ Amazon

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

and all these years I have been spelling it "b a c k" Oh silly me!

that was fun while it lasted!

blkcloud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blkcloud
krenbaird wrote:Anyone know how much replacement filters cost?

Filters :
http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Groove-Accessory-Filters-6pk/dp/B004KHRS86/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

diburning

quality posts: 5 Private Messages diburning
vipermjb wrote:Since it's Earth Day, can you recycle your own urine with this product?

Bear Grylls drinks it straight.

turtlegir1

Retail price is $10 for 2 or $25 for 6. I've gotten them cheaper from Amazon though.

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin

Can these be filled up from the Rain Wizard Rock Barrel?

oddlyjen

quality posts: 25 Private Messages oddlyjen

You can catch the filters (and the spout piece at the top that you squeeze with your teeth) on sale at Target every so often as well.

jmp8910

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jmp8910

Pretty good price, especially since its $25 for one on the Product website!
http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/2012-Groove-6L.aspx

turtlegir1

xpenguin wrote:Can these be filled up from the Rain Wizard Rock Barrel?

Potable water only...you need a different filter to decontaminate water.

ErinJade

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ErinJade

I have filtered tap water and therefore wouldn't really need the filters... do these still work okay without them?

I'm kinda just looking for a nice big water bottle with a straw and this looks like it might fit the bill.

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

I never could understand paying for bottled water. I always buy water reusable bottles with built in filters. Not only saves money, but reduces waste.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

webfox

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webfox

Dang! I just paid $20 at my campus bookstore for one - and it didn't even include a filter. It did have the campus logo on the side, though. Wonder how long that'll take to wear off...

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma

Not everyone loves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm_w2mLd6Z8&feature=related

abockstahler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abockstahler

I bought it then realized that apparently it only makes it taste better, it doesn't actually filter any impurities. Oh well.

Also note you need to bite the straw to get any water, which is good or bad depending on what you want. It helps keep it spill proof.

kevinrayli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevinrayli

Camelbaks are probably one of the most reliable water bottles. I have been using them for years without problems! Go ahead and make your purchase, you won't regret it!

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull

Nice review here:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Camelbak%20Groove%20Portable%20Filtration/Test%20Report%20by%20Kristine%20Mar/

Jayrod521

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jayrod521

I had the bottle like this, sans the filter, for a few years. Similar to this one

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles/2012-eddy-75L.aspx

And it was awesome for a while. I didn't mind the bite valve system, but something about it; it sometimes made a mess. Like the pressure in it would cause it to squirt, maybe just like in a juice box when you blow into it, it comes back out at you. But then it also started leaking, and I never discovered if it was from a miniscule crack in the bottom or what, but I tossed it. It was very durable up til then.

The price on these is great though. I happened to see these at Target today and I'm pretty sure it was $15 at least for just one.

scottfromhb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scottfromhb

The price is good but the bpa free is what pushed me over the purchase line.

2magent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 2magent
ErinJade wrote:I have filtered tap water and therefore wouldn't really need the filters... do these still work okay without them?

I'm kinda just looking for a nice big water bottle with a straw and this looks like it might fit the bill.

Yes they do. I have one and have never used the filter. I've used it with tap water and water fountain water and it works. The filter just drops/screws into a spot in the straw. If you don't have the filter it's ok. If you use the filter and it's past it's prime, it's ok. It's a great water bottle.

cameogirl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cameogirl

I have 2 Camelback groove water bottles and I love them. In fact, I loved them so much each of my friends rreceived one as a Christmas gift. In this day and age of over use of plastic bottles and reuination of our ecology it is our duty to limit waste. I purchase filters twice a year on Amazon.com, change the filter about once every 3 months. Do not place anything but water in these bottles, the filter is not meant to handle anything else. I even bought the smaller sizes for my grandchildren, they do not come with filters as they use it for their juice. We use Filtered water pitchers for our teas and coffee, but the camelback bottles go every where with us. I even use it when traveling abroad although I suggest you boil all water first and cool to room temp or in a refrigerator. The price is phenomenal at 14.99 for 2, I paid 19.99 for one. I am ordering 3 sets for my future use and for gifts. Being aware of wasteful water bottles and BPA, not to mention that water in a bottle has an expirration date, you do not know how long water has remained on store shelves, what temperature changes it has been exposed to or the safety of the container. This way, I know my water is from a fresh source.

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

Okay -- Now I get it. This contraption doesn't filter the kind of impurities you might find in water from a stream or spring, but it filters the stuff that makes potable water taste bad. So in that respect it is potentially more useful than a plain ole "regular" water bottle, but it wouldn't be particularly useful for backpacking if you're looking for something to filter water that's not from a tap.

cameogirl

Rather defeats the purpose not using the filter, you can buy a sturdy water bottle with a straw that is BPA free for about 5.00, why buy a Camelback? The filter is the purpose. Fresh tasting water is so much better than unfiltered tap water which can contain too much flouride, chlorine and even trace amounts of lead.

cameogirl

mdnorman wrote:I don't get it. This contraption doesn't filter impurities. It wouldn't be more useful than any ole "regular" water bottle, but it looks like it would be more difficult to use and harder to clean. It wouldn't be particularly useful for backpacking. I get filtered tap water from my refrigerator, and I can just fill up a simple ordinary water bottle with filtered water. At work we have "water coolers" with the ginormous bottles of filtered water. I can fill up a cup or a water bottle with that water. I just don't get it. What's the point of this thing?

Yes, it filters impurities if you buy the filters. I do not get people who use it without the filter, seems like a waste of money. I have owned 2 over a three year period and I buy them as gifts becasue I know what is in tap water. It is very easy to clean and the bite valves are replaceable should you need a new one. It comes apart in 3 pieces, pop it in the dishwasher or hand wash. What could be simpler?

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

This is probably a good price for the CamelBak name, but I got a double-walled water bottle with a straw at wally-world for $4.99 and actually really like it. It doesn't leak, it has a hard plastic straw the kids don't have to bite (choke hazard, and a pain to keep changing). No filters to change either, and it doesn't sweat. Going to stick with that one.

We have a well, so the water doesn't have all those additives. It still comes filtered out of the fridge, though. So I don't need one on the bottle too.

robin731

quality posts: 6 Private Messages robin731
nkull wrote:Nice review here:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Camelbak%20Groove%20Portable%20Filtration/Test%20Report%20by%20Kristine%20Mar/

My browser was making that link hard to follow; here's an embedded link to all three of their reviews

The bottom line is that all three reviewers liked it.

cameogirl

2magent wrote:Yes they do. I have one and have never used the filter. I've used it with tap water and water fountain water and it works. The filter just drops/screws into a spot in the straw. If you don't have the filter it's ok. If you use the filter and it's past it's prime, it's ok. It's a great water bottle.

It is rather bulky if all you want is a bottle to pour filtered water into. Very expensive for that purpose. They are heavy and sturdy and the filter is the functionality. We use Camelback products for everything, including the water bags they make with filters that we use for bike rides or hiking. Go to the dollar store and purchase a BPA free water bottle, you will save the money. Camelback is known for their marvelous filtering system.

Alfredenigma

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Alfredenigma
cameogirl wrote:I buy them as gifts becasue I know what is in tap water.

yeah stuff like fluoride and minerals your body needs..... im with you lets get all this healthy crap outa our tap water!

noop

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

I like the straw myself because I find it easier to drink from, for myself and the kids too. Especially if you're driving, so you're not having to tip your head back so far to drink when the bottle gets low. Easier while hiking or biking for the same reason. (Though when we're hiking we use our CamelBak water packs.) And the kids aren't dumping water on themselves if the lid isn't secured. Or maybe that was the point...

And I hate the vast majority of aluminum water bottles that have the removable lid. What do you do with the lid while you're drinking? The lid always seems to escape once it's freed. And the kids are all the time dumping water on themselves from those, because it's hard to gauge how much is in there, and they get too much.

Straws rule!!

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor

I have one just for home without the filter and love it. That Youtube video posted was strange. Mine isn't hard to "open". Maybe it has loosened up. Why would you want to drink it sideways? I'm not worried about purifying water from a stream. I'm not sure a water bottle is supposed to do that.

You have to bite the pacifier (great feature, very comforting) to get the water out. Makes it spill proof which is good for when it falls off the coffee table or whatever it's on. Or if you close it no water comes out at all.

I have a nice orange one. I don't like the color of these but most people like blue and it's very subtle. Compared to the ancient one I used to have that was regular plastic, these are night and day difference and I have the peace of mind that I'm not drinking some sort of plastic that's going to kill me for sure.
Jeff

intensesupernova

quality posts: 2 Private Messages intensesupernova

I originally fell in love with the design two years ago when I bought my uninsulated stainless one. It was great. I traveled a lot for work and forgot it at home one time. That is when I bought the second one, it was insulated. The issue with squirting that people have posted about is due to temperature change. If you leave the water in the straw, as that water, warms up, it expands. Because it is suctioned in the straw, the pressure in the straw builds up. It will leak if this happens, or squirt if the mouthpiece is squeezed. The easiest way to avoid this is to squeeze the mouthpiece once you're finished drinking so that the water goes back down, out of the straw. Since I started doing this, I have had no problems with squirts, leaks or getting a mouthful of warm water for my first sip when I'd go back to drink more.

In for 3. My friends will love these as much as I do.

reduxion

quality posts: 2 Private Messages reduxion

I own a lot of CamelBak bottles (including a graphite version of this one). Some things to note:

• Bite valves on these are unique and are not interchangeable with their "Better Bottles"; this also applies to the straw (obviously :P)
  • The filters are ok; I bought this for work and the Brita (squeeze) water bottles taste better but the form factor of the CamelBaks is hard to beat (I wish they'd team up!)
  • Recommended accessory (no straw, bottle top): http://humangear.com/capCAP.html

rachelle33

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rachelle33

Amazon has 6 filters for $18.50 (each filter is supposed to last about 3 months).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00437RSWY