WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Indoor skydiving anyone?
  • 6.4% - No thanks. I’m not what you’d call “the adventurous type.” 205
  • 56.6% - Sweet! All the fun without the potentially plummeting to my death and stuff. 1808
  • 18.5% - Weak. If I wanted to have my hair tousled by a giant fan, I’d sneak onto the set of the next J-Lo video. 590
  • 18.6% - I’ve never understood skydiving. Who would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? 594
3197 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

pushingrobot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pushingrobot

I'll pick the last option.

If I went skydiving, I would tell everyone that I'm going last. Then, when they have all jumped--hey, free airplane!

(sadly, there is no HTML tag to indicate bad Mitch Hedberg impressions)

ThatPoshGirl

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

I think it looks like fun, but I always wonder how clean the flying suits are.

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980
pushingrobot wrote:I'll pick the last option.

If I went skydiving, I would tell everyone that I'm going last. Then, when they have all jumped--hey, free airplane!

(sadly, there is no HTML tag to indicate bad Mitch Hedberg impressions)

Ha, I was thinking more of a Jim Gaffigan tweak. "My wife is the adventurous type and I'm what you would call...'indoors-y'?"

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

alannamaureen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alannamaureen

The correct response to "Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane?" is that there is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane.

wangowezz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wangowezz

weaksauce. this is where the fun is at...

xxrahxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xxrahxx

You guys aren't thinking of going to Sky Zone in Tukwila/South Center are you...?

sundy89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sundy89

i choose the last one.i just don't understand skydiving.Maybe in the future i would love it.....

Falcon4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Falcon4

The whole point is to be a zillion feet up in the air and plummeting to one's death... just without, you know, the "to death" part. Like flying, only in one direction: down, at a rapid rate of descent. Emphasis on the "like flying" part. That's what I'd be in it for. Being tossled around by a huge fan? Pshuh. Maybe to get some "practice", but sure as hell not a substitute for the real thing...

Then again, I think I'm kind of a rare breed, the type of person that eagerly watches out the window during take-off as the ground falls out from under the plane and I feel like I just took one epic and awesome hit from the bong of the gods. Most incredibly awesome feeling ever. Think I was intended to be born a bird or something. Meh.

summary:
Between 2007 and 2010: lots of woots.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Where's the tough grizzled Air Force sergeant yelling at me and thowing me out the hatch? If I'm skydiving, I want the whole experience! -I don't want the experience of my plummeting body creating a hole in the ground, though. oh forget it!

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
Josephus wrote:Where's the tough grizzled Air Force sergeant yelling at me and thowing me out the hatch? If I'm skydiving, I want the whole experience! -I don't want the experience of my plummeting body creating a hole in the ground, though. oh forget it!

parachuting (that experience with the drill sergeant) and sky diving are quite different, the latter being done from about 10,000 feet higher than the former.

Perhaps WOot wasn't anticipating any sky divers to show up for this poll.

BelyndaG

quality posts: 17 Private Messages BelyndaG

We've done this a couple of times and it was a blast! For someone who's always wanted to skydive but who has a dreadful fear of flying (I know, I know, nuts!), this was the perfect solution. But don't count on going to a nice restaurant or anything afterward. We looked downright scary afterward! Wild hair, wild eyes, flushed faces.... although the huge grins probably made up for that.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

My son did it quite a bit when he was young (5-10) in FL & NV. I did it once. It was quite a rush. They give you some short training and are in there to help you out. They make it a positive experience.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Sati

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

"52.8% - Sweet! All the fun without the potentially plummeting to my death and stuff."

Just be aware that this is incorrect. My cousin did this in Vegas years ago, severely injured her neck and is spending the remainder of her life basically as an invalid. She is in tons of pain, has to go to PT and doctors and things regularly just to have a severely limited quality of life. She struggles to work and is like a very young elderly woman.

And, no, she's not faking... I assure you.

I love a thrill, but do consider that there are very real risks with things like this and weigh if it's worth it to you. I'd have done it before, but I'm not sure I would now. I think I'd still jump from an airplane though. Go figure ;-)

cobraman61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61

I have lived here in Deland FL. for 12 years,where people come from all over the world to par take in the sport.This is the capital of skydiving,but you will not get me up their skydiving.It really looks like a lot of fun,but not for me thankyou.I love to watch them,but that's as far as I will go.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

All the fun, etc. but you forgot to mention the totally stylish outfit! Woo hoo, zippers and helmet and goggles and all that!

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

I'll try both, indoors sounds like something I'd do if the weather was bad or something.

awgPablo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages awgPablo

I've done some indoor wind tunnel hovering in a decent little place in Denver. It surprised me how much fun it was. Really would like to do more sessions, but it's more cash than I'm allotted to spend on things like floating around.

What I wanted most was actual training for more time. It's a pretty good workout even on a short session, but I didn't want to stop.

My new signature... now absent of a link to my website. Oops.

cdozo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdozo

The two activities are totay different. Indoor skydiving doesn't involve an airplane and it's more like flying is in dreams. Regular skydiving requires a plane some such to get way up high and it has a significant falling component and a significant gliding component. I prefer indoor skydiving because it feels more like flying.

stearnst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stearnst

Most of the aircraft used for skydiving aren't "perfectly good planes".

BarryHill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BarryHill

Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

Why would anyone ski down a perfectly good mountain?

Because it's a blast!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I'm game for anything that is reminiscent of flying.

b2pi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages b2pi
Falcon4 wrote:The whole point is to be a zillion feet up in the air and plummeting to one's death... just without, you know, the "to death" part. Like flying, only in one direction: down, at a rapid rate of descent. Emphasis on the "like flying" part. That's what I'd be in it for. Being tossled around by a huge fan? Pshuh. Maybe to get some "practice", but sure as hell not a substitute for the real thing...

Then again, I think I'm kind of a rare breed, the type of person that eagerly watches out the window during take-off as the ground falls out from under the plane and I feel like I just took one epic and awesome hit from the bong of the gods. Most incredibly awesome feeling ever. Think I was intended to be born a bird or something. Meh.

Yup. What he said.

When I used to jump, people would ask me why, and I'd say "Ever had a flying dream? When you jump, they come true". If the person said that they'd never had a flying dream, I thought it was a good indication that I didn't need to be friends

• 6 Dec, 2011... My First Bag O' Crap... 'twas crappy
  • 19 Jan, 2012... My second. Better, but still.... Crappy. I nevertheless remain undaunted and hopeful

arkansized

quality posts: 10 Private Messages arkansized

I have a perfectly good airplane, and I assure you I would not jump out of it even if it were on fire.
Which it sorta was one time, and I didn't jump.

Please don't tell my dad, 'k?

Pottsville, Arkansas. Conveniently located on I-40 halfway between New York and Los Angeles.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
Sati wrote:"52.8% - Sweet! All the fun without the potentially plummeting to my death and stuff."

Just be aware that this is incorrect. My cousin did this in Vegas years ago, severely injured her neck and is spending the remainder of her life basically as an invalid. She is in tons of pain, has to go to PT and doctors and things regularly just to have a severely limited quality of life. She struggles to work and is like a very young elderly woman.

And, no, she's not faking... I assure you.

I love a thrill, but do consider that there are very real risks with things like this and weigh if it's worth it to you. I'd have done it before, but I'm not sure I would now. I think I'd still jump from an airplane though. Go figure ;-)

I don't think they meant to imply that it was without risk or not dangerous. Just less risk/danger. No risk of going SPLAT from falling at terminal velocity out of the sky. You still risk smacking into the walls or landing wrong.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

I am DEATHLY afraid of heights. I couldn't do a zipline that was 15 feet off the ground because when I got up on the platform I had a massive panic attack.

Vertical wind tunnel, though, I'd do.

holdingontowater

quality posts: 2 Private Messages holdingontowater

ultimate fan for Vader impersonations

-badda bing

disneyfreak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages disneyfreak

Technically the last option says "WHO would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane?"

So I have to go with.....my brother-in-law!

Feeling like you were flying would be very cool, but the view sure wouldn't be the same!

fretfall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fretfall

I've skydived out of a real plane...I work across from an iFly indoor skydiving place. Child's play compared to the real experience :-))

5/9/2008 Versa Wrench 12” 31-in-1 Ratcheting Wrench

6/15/2008 DigiPro 8" x 6" USB Graphics Tablet with Cordless Pen

nkull

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nkull
jai151 wrote:I am DEATHLY afraid of heights. I couldn't do a zipline that was 15 feet off the ground because when I got up on the platform I had a massive panic attack.

Vertical wind tunnel, though, I'd do.

Also afraid of heights, however I have jumped from an airplane 230 times ... I figured it would get me over my fear of hights, and it did not... I still can't climb on my roof, but I did get over my fear of jumping from aircraft. The trick is that your brain can't see distance past 2000-4000 feet depending on the person, so when your falling you don't even notice the ground getting closer. ... What's really fun is when you pass that point still in free fall and you get what they call "ground rush", when your eyes start seeing the ground get closer ... for me that's at about 3000 feet (which was generally my pull altitude).

Also done the indoor skydiving thing, it's a blast, used to do it a couple times a month when at the dropzone to jump from planes for real.

eastcheap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eastcheap
nkull wrote:I still can't climb on my roof, but I did get over my fear of jumping from aircraft.

I'd rather jump out of an airplane any day. I put it down to sound risk assessment plus a high center of gravity...

tmmurphy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tmmurphy

I did the vertical wind tunnel thing in Las Vegas 15-20 years ago (I don't think it's there anymore - but could be wrong.) It was a rush, but I'd have had to pay for a bunch more time than I did to get very good at it, and really hover for a while. BTW, once you did hover, you would end up 10-15 feet in the air, and I just wonder if those that are afraid of heights here, wouldn't have that same reaction set in.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

Closest I've come to indoor skydiving (or the real deal for that matter) is catching the prop wash off a taxiiing B-24. Which was actually pretty cool, but not worth paying a bunch of money and wearing a silly suit for.

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1

Having been in the 82d Airborne, I can tell you we jumped out of the planes but they weren't "perfectly good." Most of the time, you couldn't wait to get out of them.

churchr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages churchr

I always assumed that one draw of the wind tunnels was that you could practice relative work (flying together in freefall) at a much lower cost. But from what I've read it isn't any cheaper at all. I can get a jump from 14k giving me 70 seconds of freefall and a nice canopy ride afterwards for about the same price, so screw that.

Bob
D-8195