WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Are you attractive, but lack the money to travel? Congratulations, I guess! There's a service for you! It's called Miss Travel, and all you have to do is be a beautiful woman of questionable moral character or unquestionably low intelligence!

Doctors! Lawyers! Bankers! Athletes! Executives! Millionaires! Boy, they sure do cut right to the chase, don't they? I have no doubt that there exists, somewhere, a man willing to pay for this and a woman willing to do this, but I refuse to believe there are enough to support a website. We haven't sunk that far yet, have we, humanity? Airborne prostitution? I can't decide who's the bigger victim here. Men paying for women to sit next to them in an uncomfortable metal tube for five hours, women risking life and limb for a complimentary drink and a trip to the duty free shop, or me for having to endure knowing this exists.

And why are they only advertising to women? Surely there are plenty of rich lady executives looking for some scintillating conversation on their next flight to Hamburg for the Lady Executive Girl Power conference? Why is no one beating down MY door to take me on a flight to Madagascar? I'm a GREAT travel companion! Sure, I start fights at the airport and whine about the seating, but once I'm seated I just throw on my headphones and zone out.

It's rare that a concept hits so firmly the bullseye of both misogyny AND misandry. Women are reduced to "Attractive Members." Men sign up as "Generous Members." After that it's smooth sailing, awkward conversations, and the creeping fear that you're going to wind up dead in a ditch somewhere in Laos. 

Ladies, if a guy has acquired the wealth or responsibility to make him travel extensively and yet has no social skill to convince some attractive woman he met on his own to come with him, he's at best socially repugnant and at worst the guy from American Psycho. Men, if a woman is willing to accompany you on a business flight in exchange for money, she's already proven she has no problem using you to achieve her goal and will have no problem finagling her way out of any "totally not required but kind of obligatory" sex you're imagining you'll be owed. It's a lose lose lose. The third "lose" is for the piece of your soul you never get back.

But don't let me stop you. Men, would you pay for the pleasure of friendship on a nonstop flight? Ladies, would you sign up to see the world if it meant keeping some awkward executive company? Let me know in the comments.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

I don't know why you assume it is just men paying to travel with attractive women. I bet there are lots of women who would pay to travel with the typical male wooter. Lord knows they need the exercise and sunlight. As for the after dinner entertainment, well let's just say blindfolds, nose clips, and earplugs are recommended.

clevesjm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clevesjm

Is this that new Joran van der Sloot startup?

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
whitcwa wrote:I don't know why you assume it is just men paying to travel with attractive women.

I'm not assuming. I looked at the site, and it is set up as a one way street.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
llandar wrote:...I looked at the site...

I bet you did!

melebeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melebeth

Actually, the webpage currently says "MissTravel.com is a travel dating website that matches generous travelers with attractive travel girls (or guys)."

Not that that makes it any better.

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 00000100

Why has no one made a joke about "Generous Members" yet?

You know, member, like...ah, forget it.

Vaelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vaelin

Sooo....

How long before Zuckerberg buys this for a billion dollars?

RNLori

quality posts: 6 Private Messages RNLori

It appears the owner of the site has been in the prostitution business since 2005. I would like to kick Brandon Wade for saying students should use this to pay for their college tuition. I would settle for locking him up since he is, after all, the Pimp on both sites.
"The truth is, in my opinion, love is a concept that's been invented by poor people."
^ Twisted and unloved human being-Brandon Wade
Edit: I had to get a peek at this creep, and it was as I expected..http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video?id=8385838

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/25/sugar-daddy-dating-seekingarrangement-attracts-students-tuition-fees_n_1451335.html?1335353176

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I think I'll start up a similar yet very different business. Tired of sitting next to a crying baby or smelly/loud woman/guy? Just pay for my ticket and I will sit next to you. I'm definitely no supermodel and I'm not even particularly interesting. I will basically just be a seat-filler. True, you could just purchase the extra seat and place your luggage there, but that wouldn't be as fun. I will actually LISTEN when you tell me about how Woot! has ticked you off by offering a Bunnies Ogling Carrots while you were sleeping or taking your child to day-care. Your suitcase would just ignore you. And you would look crazy talking to your luggage.

I shall call the business Frau-Quent Flyers. (Okay, so maybe I need to work on the name).

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

billmeek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmeek

A whois lookup revealed the owner as infostreamgroup.com (aka Brandon Wade)

From the webpage:

[begin quote]
A BIT ABOUT US

InfoStream Group Inc. is an internet company which designs, develops and operates several social networking entities. We create unique brands, specializing in new social networking concepts for niche markets around the world. Our headquarters are in Las Vegas, Nevada, with a remote office in Ukraine.
[end quote]

The "headquarters" is a condo in Las Vegas.

A couple of his other (132) sites:

seekingarrangement.com
SeekingFantasy.com
seekingmillionaire.com
seekingarrangementparty.com
seekingarr.com
fantasyvsreality.com

And...

whatsyourprice.com (Yes. This is a "dating" site too.)

slkygrl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slkygrl

Well, as a normally attractive but WAY too old for this shite woman, let me say that this makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. The fact is you are going to be in a strange place with some creep who feels it is his right to grope, grip, or possibly beat the life out of you if you don't give him what he thinks he's got coming. Also, he is probably a member of the Secret Service, and you're really stupid. What could go wrong?

From Edna St. Vincent Millay:
SECOND FIG
SAFE upon the solid rock the ugly houses stand:
Come and see my shining palace built upon the sand!

Keep on Dreaming!
slkygrl

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

truly brilliant analysis wootbot. hilarious, yet sad and true.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum

HL Mencken said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

That could be modified to add class and culture:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence, class or culture of the American public." - Bacalum, 2012

BTW, is it merely a coincidence that "class" rhymes with "crass?"

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

bacalum

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bacalum
abitterwoman wrote:I think I'll start up a similar yet very different business. Tired of sitting next to a crying baby or smelly/loud woman/guy? Just pay for my ticket and I will sit next to you.

I usually get stuck next to a crying baby or a sick person too stupid or inconsiderate to cover their orifices when coughing or sneezing. My last flight I was across from a SICK crying baby! Oh joy!

The only saving grace was the parents were suitably concerned both for their children and nearby passengers, and tried to mitigate the problems as best they could.

Creating a "non-" buffer zone:
non-crying,
non-whining,
non-seat-reclining w/o warning,
non-yakking when you want to be left alone,
non-communicable disease ridden passengers,
would require buying 8-10 additional seats, not just a seat to the right or left, on all but puddle jumper flights. At that price, you might as well charter your own aircraft.

When rich or powerful people propose a change, it is designed to make them richer or more powerful.

cheddarandbacon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheddarandbacon

I do not understand how to personal message a woot representative. Can someone help me please?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cheddarandbacon wrote:I do not understand how to personal message a woot representative. Can someone help me please?

To send a Personal Message, find a post by that person and click on the envelope next to their name.

To read your PMs, click on the envelope at the top of the forums.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cheddarandbacon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheddarandbacon
ThunderThighs wrote:To send a Personal Message, find a post by that person and click on the envelope next to their name.

To read your PMs, click on the envelope at the top of the forums.

Thank you for your reply. How do I locate a woot representative?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

cheddarandbacon wrote:Thank you for your reply. How do I locate a woot representative?

Are you wanting to contact customer service? You can email service@woot.com.

Or are you wanting to contact someone specific?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim

Kind of interesting that he can be so up front about this. It is distasteful at best, but being a libertarian at heart, I wonder why we get so twisted up about stuff like this. It is somewhat degrading and certainly unwise, but so is having sexual relations with random people at a party.

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen
abitterwoman wrote:
I shall call the business Frau-Quent Flyers. (Okay, so maybe I need to work on the name).

No, that's perfect!

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen
WilfBrim wrote:It is somewhat degrading and certainly unwise, but so is having sexual relations with random people at a party.

Wait, are these the only two choices?

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman
mossygreen wrote:No, that's perfect!

I was stoked and ready to start my business when I read this, then saw the post by Bacalum that ripped my business idea apart. My hopes are dashed!

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

llandar

cheddarandbacon wrote:I do not understand how to personal message a woot representative. Can someone help me please?

Awww, and I was sitting here fervently refreshing my inbox.

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

No one's ready to take you to Madagascar because they closed the borders. Someone apparently sneezed in Mexico.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus
WilfBrim wrote:Kind of interesting that he can be so up front about this. It is distasteful at best, but being a libertarian at heart, I wonder why we get so twisted up about stuff like this. It is somewhat degrading and certainly unwise, but so is having sexual relations with random people at a party.

Agreed. It's kind of sleazy, but as the guy alludes to in the video rich dudes with trophy wives are basically just buying sex through more obfuscated means and drunk twentysomethings do far riskier things than this.

Also, who all read this and immediately thought of those "you're a busy executive so buy a date through our service" ads plastered all over airline magazines? Again, same idea.

llandar

Darquis wrote:No one's ready to take you to Madagascar because they closed the borders. Someone apparently sneezed in Mexico.

I have a harder time infecting Japan.

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e

The video should end, "Now boarding - YOU!"

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3284 Private Messages conanthelibrarian
0ldeag1e wrote:The video should end, "Now boarding - YOU!"

+1