sweaver32

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sweaver32
timbrrr wrote:How important is the SD expansion slot on the newer Roku models?

These last gen models don't have it which worries me....

but it has usb, which is better. Bought this a month or so ago from woot for bedroom tv, no complaints.

zero4o3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zero4o3
squidalarm wrote:That's right, and you'll need to buy an optional cable for that port!!

Who has a TV that has conponet video but not HDMI anymore though

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

Got one of these the other week from Woot. This does not replace cable in the way I thought it would,but it gets the job done. When looked at the PlayOn.tv channel, I was happy to see ESPN. What I didn't take the time to research was that PlayOn does not give you ESPN without an ESPN account.

The kids love the PBSKids channel because they can watch their favorite shows whenever.

So, this won't replace a traditional cable set up, but it is a lot cheaper and a lot more flexible if you know what you like to watch.

And the iPhone remote rocks. The kids think there is a phantom in the house who keeps changing their channels. Solid.

t3w

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t3w
squidalarm wrote:That's right, and you'll need to buy an optional cable for that port!!

These component cables are pretty common...look around...bet you'll find you have one from older pre-hd decks (vhs, dvd, etc)

RaptorFan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RaptorFan
shanteuse wrote:I like it that Woot is listing the same item several times in the course of the Woot-Off, rather than having us sit for hours with one item. Also if someone wants the item but isn't around when it's first listed, they might get it the 2nd or 3rd time. Kudos to you, Woot.

Exactly! Just bought 2 of these. Thanks Woot!

jseureau

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jseureau

is anyone elses tracker not working right?

vkkn2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vkkn2012

where are the guys with the memes. I wanna see some memes... lol

graygamer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graygamer

Well, I got one, and I'm going to put it in my Roku, because I heard I like Rokus.

Wait, how is that going to work??

janamg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janamg

It doesn't look that big. My dog sheds a lot, maybe I should wait for a regular sized roku floor sweeper and video streamer... as long as it works with my macarena

Rodc2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rodc2

Roku is great, however if closed captions are important to you this unit won't do it. You need a Roku 2 to receive closed captions.

dougtaylor1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougtaylor1
nkull wrote:Wanted the ability to use it on TVs that don't have HDMI ... Makes this the better deal.

I don't have HDMI on my tv and it works fine.

KristinWeeks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KristinWeeks
jalbertsatx wrote:I am wondering if anyone has any info on how the Roku works with ATT Uverse. I have heard that ATT Says it is not compatible due to bandwidth.

I use mine with the Uverse 12mbps service. No problems. I previously had Comcast's "blast" service which was supposed to be their fastest, but the Uverse speeds are much better. Uverse installer has a Roku as well. He's using his an even lower speed with no issues. You only need about 1.5mbps for standard def and 5mbps for HD.

I've only had trouble if I'm DL'ing a movie while streaming video on my laptop as well. That's only happened once though. It's fine otherwise.

rckclimberky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckclimberky

off the topic...

I need to see some Lock & Lock... its not like I dont have 5 sets and 3 more never opened.

I guess I think they are going to stop making them.. *shrug* I am OCD I guess

jccdlc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jccdlc

I got a Roku last week when they were on sale. Received it Saturday. So far I have to say it is not bad. I have been finding some fun things to watch on Crackle and AOL TV. Both of these channels are free. I will probably try Hulu Plus in a couple of weeks. Not sure that you can totally walk away from Cable or the dish but you could probably reduce the package.

aliciamiller31

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aliciamiller31
jalbertsatx wrote:I am wondering if anyone has any info on how the Roku works with ATT Uverse. I have heard that ATT Says it is not compatible due to bandwidth.

I use a Roku that I bought here with Uverse. It works just fine.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
glitch1369 wrote:The description says is has a Component connection but the photo shows only composite and HDMI.

zero4o3 wrote:if you look on the far left there is a single pin componet slot, it most likely requires a special component video cable.

graygamer wrote:That is the case, Roku probably sells them for a Jillion bucks each.

Yes, where "Jillion bucks" = $9.95:

Roku Accessories

gilfilent

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gilfilent

These are great for extra tv's in the house that you could care less about putting cable or dish to. It kind of makes them portable besides the fact you need a power cable, but that is it. If I wanted to put one outside, no need to run cat5-6x to where ever.

betsuni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages betsuni
sweaver32 wrote:but it has usb, which is better. Bought this a month or so ago from woot for bedroom tv, no complaints.

What is the USB used for?

My first Roku since I got a subscription to Netflix.

graygamer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graygamer
cleverett wrote:Yes, where "Jillion bucks" = $9.95:

When it comes to cables, that qualifies for me.

I buy most of mine through yard and estate sales for a buck a handful.

palady

quality posts: 4 Private Messages palady

Love my Roku. Always finding new channels. Interesting, odd things you'd never find on cable. TED channel is great. Wonderful assortment of music stations in addition to Pandora. Only thing I wish is that I had bought the more expensive model with the gaming remote. Gaming remote on roku site includes sd card & I don't have sd slot nor do I want to pay the $$ they're asking. Hoping WOOT will come to the rescue and find a gaming remote for a good price one of these day!

rijit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rijit

I've got ATT DSL and have had no problems with Roku or streaming bandwidth. Uverse gets much more bandwidth so you should be fine.