leviturm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leviturm

So is this shipping priority or smartpost or is it a lottery?

I have a Hero2 and a Contour ROAM.

I appreciate the LCD screen and remote at this price point. Looks decent.

The ROAM has a laser and the lens rotates to get a perfectly lined up shot no matter how it is mounted. Laser is useful.

Spanky McNoodle

gundam470

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gundam470
hudsm9589 wrote:I have a few GoPros and the biggest difference is that the Go's are wide angle lens's and the Swann is not. However, for someone who doesnt feel like dropping $300 for a new HD Hero 2, and just wants something to play around with for cheaper, this is just great.

Also the video quality and build is much worse on the Swann, but good enough for a casual user

One of the reviews says the Swann records in wide-angle at 720P.

cake eater

quality posts: 5 Private Messages cake eater

this is clamping right on my mirror in my car. quick an easy dashcam. watch out liveleak, here comes teh amish video.

forum option changes may take a few minutes. just relax

leviturm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages leviturm

Some of the product info says "continous shot mode" does that mean timelapse? They can be fun.

Spanky McNoodle

joshobra

quality posts: 38 Private Messages joshobra
leviturm wrote:Some of the product info says "continous shot mode" does that mean timelapse? They can be fun.

Yep. There's a video sample of that on YouTube. Not much though..

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

erick99

quality posts: 21 Private Messages erick99
joshobra wrote:Yeah, I kind of noticed that people with dashboard cam tends to get into more trouble than people who doesn't have dashboard cams.

Proof: http://www.twisternederland.com/ (might want to scroll down a bit)

Very scientific.

Erick R Williams
Only worry about the present. The past is over and the future will be the present soon enough

Kikuichimoji

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kikuichimoji

I've been looking at getting a POV camera for a cross-country motorcycle trip this Summer, and it looked like this was gonna be the one until I read this line in the manual: "All controls are disabled while charging."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that means no recording while charging, right?

Sorry, deal breaker. I'm going more than 2.5 hours each day, and I can't stop to charge it every other hour for hours on end.

alysseumwarrior

quality posts: 13 Private Messages alysseumwarrior

Product page by the manufacturer

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1297

dkluer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkluer

I was really interested in this and read some reviews. I really wanted to take this up to the snow. The video is your average everyday joe out in the mountains. I have heard of sound problems and this video shows it. Not the best of qualities with the snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrwUwxYCpA

dougmc2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dougmc2

I've got a GoProHD and one complaint I've got with it is that the waterproof case has a round covering on the lens, which causes things to be out of focus underwater. (It's fine in the air, however.)

(You can buy an aftermarket fix for this -- it replaces the lens cover with a larger, flat one that fixes the problem. Of course, it's like $70 or so if I recall correctly.)

In any event, this thing seems to have a flat covering over the lens, which if true would lead to better quality than the GoPro HD under water.

rick10024

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rick10024

I am very interested in this camera for vérité footage for a documentary. But, also wondering if it would work as a second camera during talking head shoots. Do you think this would shoot longer than the 2 1/2 hour battery life if it was connected directly with the AC adapter? Anybody have any experience using it while connected to AC? Thanks a lot!

HitoZen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HitoZen

Not to say support is important, but not sure how easy it would be to get warranty coverage for this camera, let alone buying more mounts / batteries for it!

And one should not really dive with an action cam; the quality is abysmal at best. Much better to get a regular P&S digicam + waterproof housing (more expensive, but shoots much better as well).

midnightohone

quality posts: 2 Private Messages midnightohone

Only 28 days until our motorcycle trip from Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico and up the East Coast through Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon. This is perfect! A little concerned about the sound issues some people seem to be having though.

Love the Madness,
Bardo von Bardo III

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
Kikuichimoji wrote:I've been looking at getting a POV camera for a cross-country motorcycle trip this Summer, and it looked like this was gonna be the one until I read this line in the manual: "All controls are disabled while charging."

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but that means no recording while charging, right?

Sorry, deal breaker. I'm going more than 2.5 hours each day, and I can't stop to charge it every other hour for hours on end.

Don't let that stop you. Most items are disabled somewhat if USB is plugged in, either for charging or data reasons, so you won't find much of anything that will record endlessly without some work.

If the battery is the limitation, don't use the battery. Typically you take out the battery, and make a plastic blank with some wires and contacts to get power in to the contacts inside. Then you can run as long as you want, and you're not charging. Check the battery at charged and discharged, and use a middle voltage.

Other issue..
The mic scratch problem sounds like the mic is moving slightly, rubbing inside against the plastic case. Should be easily fixable with a little DIY work.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

CMOS sensor, does the action videos look like jelly?

knobster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knobster

I've been looking at the GoPro for a while now, but when I saw the Swann for $139 with the LCD monitor and remote I had to sign up on here and pull the trigger. The other time I almost bought an item on here was when the regular GoPro was for sale as a woot a while back. Glad I didn't buy it then. This seems to be a much better deal for what you get. Heck you could buy 2 of these for the price of one GoPro Hero2 and still have change in your pocket. This looks to have better underwater lense too.

sdutango

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sdutango

Can someone tell me how would I mount this on the side of my car door? I'm a motorsports fan so I video of my driving from the outside of my car, any suggestions? And let's say if i mount this thing on top of my car root, will the angle enough for me to record the hood, the road and the sky? thanks!

lll0228

quality posts: 34 Private Messages lll0228
JirafaBo wrote:I have a Hero HD2 (the most current version) and I love it. That being said, the Contour brand is actually a little ahead of the curve on Action cams. Their cam is cylindrical and a little more low profile. They also have a version that does live streaming while Hero is keep delaying their Wifi backpack which will stream live video. The contour is much more expensive though. The contour was around first, but Hero has went balls to the wall with marketing and their name is just out there and in everyone face so much that they are doing much better sales wise, also a lower price point.

I second this. CONTOUR is currently the camera to beat. It's homegrown here in Seattle with two very smart UW graduates, growing fast, and a lot of GoPro users have converted.

Check out Contour

wyreless

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wyreless

I should get this to Video me dealing with the only 1 WOOT! per day being back in place.
This is one guy who feels the WootOff should be permenant. Of course say goodbye to my bank acct., but I'd be happier.

I mean I gotta figure out how to explain to my friends why I now have a Flashlight that requires has a Hard Case, is as large as a baseball bat and has Nitevission capability and an LCD screen.

I keep pressing F5 and I see this same SWANN camera. Could this be some kind of neurological dissorder? WOOT! Say it aint so!!

"Living For The DEAL!!"

yankidank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yankidank

The Swann includes a LCD screen (albeit a small one), which you will have to pay extra for as a GoPro accessory. Another advantage that the Swann has is that the controls make a lot more sense. Even with a LCD screen on the GoPro it isn't easy to operate. I also imagine that you don't have the underwater focus issues since the Swann's casing looks like it is flat in front of the lens. The Swann's price is also about half of an equivalent GoPro camera + accessories.

I would still recommend the new GoPro model over this even though you will have to pay a decent amount more. Image quality of the new GoPro is outstanding, especially in low light conditions. It also has a line of interesting accessories, allowing you to add on functionality and to keep the size of the camera as small as possible.

dathkgmr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dathkgmr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5uPyn_gRM
see for yourself via youtube.
Swan Freestyle
vs
GoPro
vs
Hero 2

smichalove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smichalove

Seems to me that the GOPRO has much better image stabalization properties than the SWANN. I do like the lower wide angle thing, it may be a good addition to the GoPRO, but if you are serious on putting together decent POV footage, image stabilization trumps in this case. Check out http://youtu.be/Y4e2krBvEG0. Everything except the intro is done with GoPro HD and without that level of stabilization, it would be really really crap

bigdaddy24

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bigdaddy24

Anyone know if the battery is easily replaceable? Would I have to order a new one from the company or is it something I can find locally....or at least on amazon?

The only info I can find is that it's a "nonstandard" battery

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
dathkgmr wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5uPyn_gRM
see for yourself via youtube.
Swan Freestyle
vs
GoPro
vs
Hero 2

That is basically the same video that was posted on page 1.

mechanicaljake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mechanicaljake

Don't waste your money on this poorly designed piece of CRAP! I paid full price for one, and after using it ONCE, wouldn't pay 1/3rd of the price. Pic quality is OK. Microphone functionality is HORRIBLE with strange background noise especially when used in certain situations, like in cars or on a motorcycle. Swann's customer service DOES NOT RESPOND to support requests with this unit. If you want a decent action cam, don't buy this one!!!!!

jayeeyee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jayeeyee

I was fortunate enough to try this at an autocross event. The GoPro is a tried and true product tested throughout various different environments and it's made to withstand abuses. The Swann is pretty much the same, I've had this cam mounted to the roof of my car and it fell off (not because of a defective mounting system) because I didn't prep the surface well enough. I was hitting a corner at 70-75mph when the cam flew off and only the external housing suffered damage after slamming on the pavement and rolling a couple of times eventually landing on the grass. The camera was fine and fully functional (FYI, although different in design/fitment, the casing is pretty much the same as Hero casings in terms of quality and locking mechanisms). I was actually quite impressed with it. The only downside is the slow FPS @ 1080P capture. All in all, I would say this camera ranks in between the Hero and Hero2. For the price, it's worth it. Unless you wanna' wait till Swann releases their version of the Hero2.

eskwadrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eskwadrat

Sensor type 2592 x 1944
Photo resolution 8MP (3200 x 2400)

8M resolution with 5M pixel sensor. Wow! We have a winner! Top of the list bullcrap.

Steve

thebigragu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebigragu

seems like this camera doesnt capture the color spectrum that well based on the three vids ive seen of it compared to the gopro hero 2, i do like the price though, trying to decide if its worth it for me right now....

thebigragu

SuperNinja wrote:That is basically the same video that was posted on page 1.

but it wasn't

thebigragu

jayeeyee wrote:I was fortunate enough to try this at an autocross event. The GoPro is a tried and true product tested throughout various different environments and it's made to withstand abuses. The Swann is pretty much the same, I've had this cam mounted to the roof of my car and it fell off (not because of a defective mounting system) because I didn't prep the surface well enough. I was hitting a corner at 70-75mph when the cam flew off and only the external housing suffered damage after slamming on the pavement and rolling a couple of times eventually landing on the grass. The camera was fine and fully functional (FYI, although different in design/fitment, the casing is pretty much the same as Hero casings in terms of quality and locking mechanisms). I was actually quite impressed with it. The only downside is the slow FPS @ 1080P capture. All in all, I would say this camera ranks in between the Hero and Hero2. For the price, it's worth it. Unless you wanna' wait till Swann releases their version of the Hero2.

do they have plans to release "their version of the Hero 2" at all or any time soon? and would it be around the price of this one?

thebigragu

eskwadrat wrote:Sensor type 2592 x 1944
Photo resolution 8MP (3200 x 2400)

8M resolution with 5M pixel sensor. Wow! We have a winner! Top of the list bullcrap.

that doesn't effect the video though right?

JustMe1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JustMe1

I'm a SCUBA diver and have been using a Tachyon Micro HD for several months. The low profile and fact that it doesn't need an external waterproof case meant that it was very easy to integrate with a dive light and glove mount. I've got to say that the quality is excellent, even in low-light conditions.

tachyoninc
HD 720p - 30 FPS - MPEG 4, H.264
Waterproof to 100 Feet (30 Meters)
125° - Wide Angle
$129.99

Video from my first set of dives back in December:
YouTube
(The camera was mask mounted for this dive)

They also have several other cameras and mounting options, including Picatinny rail mounts.

baristabob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baristabob
sdutango wrote:Can someone tell me how would I mount this on the side of my car door? I'm a motorsports fan so I video of my driving from the outside of my car, any suggestions? And let's say if i mount this thing on top of my car root, will the angle enough for me to record the hood, the road and the sky? thanks!

They make a suction cup tripod that works well. I have seen it used on a racetrack several years ago. Don't know the maker though.

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
sdc100 wrote:MESSAGE DELETED because I didn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Heh. Next time leave the message and just add a footnote so we can all have a good laugh. ;-)

TazoWolf

quality posts: 14 Private Messages TazoWolf

I might have gone for this, if I had the money, and if I didn't already have a 1080p helmet cam w/ waterproof shell & all the accessories coming to me. My old 720p Epic HD cam was destroyed when my bicycle and I went over a cliff, falling 30 ft. Last week, Epic decided to upgrade my sponsorship in order to give me their new 1080p cam. Bullet-style cam.
http://www.epicstealthcam.com/

Video taken with the old 720p cam:
Adrenaline Rush: Descending Independence Pass Just B4 USA Pro Cycling Challenge Stage 2

My only complaint re: this cam is lack of image stabilization

"I'll Never Let My Schooling Interfere With My Education" -Mark Twain

"We Must Be the Change We Wish To See In The World" -Gandhi

corvettejoe

quality posts: 26 Private Messages corvettejoe

I just looked it up. aromatic 60ft depth, not very useful for diving IMO

traalfaz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages traalfaz

I might have gone for this a few days ago, but I just ordered a Contour Roam which I'm sure I'll like better anyway. I could use this for rear-facing video on the bike...

ivanivanovich

quality posts: 24 Private Messages ivanivanovich
corvettejoe wrote:I just looked it up. aromatic 60ft depth, not very useful for diving IMO

Ah. I wondered what spellcheck program gave you "aromatic" instead of whatever you intended. But of course it was woot censoring the word "lamé."

MCHamden1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MCHamden1

Stop looking at me, Swann!

kyoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kyoo

Will this do time-lapse?