nyfantom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nyfantom

Not sure this tablet is for me.. lots of reviews heavy/slow.. next...

maxxdout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maxxdout

I bought this tablet a few months ago on here when it was something like $70. I ended up selling it on eBay and making $20 off of it.

Why did I sell it? It's slow and tempermental. Even after rooting and installing Dalvik turbo (supposed to speed it up), the laggyness(word?) was unbearable. I mainly wanted it to watch movies but it even failed at that. At about 5 minutes into any movie, any format, it would freeze the device and I would have to reboot it.

This is a fine device for kids to "play" with without worrying about breaking a $400 Galaxy tab or $600 iPad. Just don't tell them about the whole "not being able to play Angry Birds" issue, they might go mad and kill everyone.

tl;dr: Save up that extra money and get an actual usable tablet.

darkomandic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkomandic

Had one, tweaked it as much as possible, but I really couldn't make myself to like it. Even though I was able to get android market on it and get the most popular applications, still the speed or should I say the slowness of the tablet, was enough for me to get rid of it to another sucker. At one point I thought it would be decent thing to watch podcasts on it using mypod app, but the phone jack just stopped working and it turns out most of these tablets have this problem with the design.

nyfantom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nyfantom
nyisless13 wrote:I bought a Velocity Micro tablet once... once.

Even at $65, it's a turd.

nowwaitaminute! turds needz luv too.

bigdino21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdino21

wow you are correct two guys are boring... i am looking for a tablet to carry contracts on and have customers sign with a stylus..i dont care to much about web access..just plan on getting signitures and upload to computer. i am not to tech savy anyone know if this will fit the bill? thank you

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
nyfantom wrote:nowwaitaminute! turds needz luv too.

A wise man once told me 'You can't polish a turd'.

drxo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drxo
jmclaug8351 wrote: You can play mp3 over network

How is this done? Do you mean it has a DLNA client? I'm looking for playing my music files on a tablet-like device.

Also, does anyone know if the calendar syncs with Google Calendar? I do not have Android experience, it sounds like various such devices can leave out core features liks sync.

The Doc

ojohn

quality posts: 42 Private Messages ojohn

This was my first tablet and I paid A LOT more. It was perfectly acceptable. When I had troubles with my newer tablet, needing warranty replacements (two times), I returned to this one. Although it was a lot slower than the newer one it still worked well for emails and news and Kindle for me. Battery life is over 10 hours fully charged!!

It comes with a sleeve which is not very useful but it is something. The specific case for the "Pandigital Novel"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H1MKB0

fits this perfectly so I bought one (elsewhere).

You'll always have sweet memories of your first. Uh, tablet. Luckily I can always keep this one.

Here it is showing today's woot page

http://imgur.com/pI6Do.jpg

bigdino21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdino21

i am looking for a tablet to store contracts on and have them signed with a stylus to upload to my computer or printer... not rather tech savy. will this fit the bill? not really concerned about internet conectivity

redskin92

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redskin92

Sold these at my job.. I must say more then 50% found their way back. The demo model was so slow and glitchy, as well.

A7X for life

aaronshall

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aaronshall
bigdino21 wrote:wow you are correct two guys are boring... i am looking for a tablet to carry contracts on and have customers sign with a stylus..i dont care to much about web access..just plan on getting signitures and upload to computer. i am not to tech savy anyone know if this will fit the bill? thank you

I'm trying it...is there a specific app that you are looking at?

Most are giving me the "This item is not compatible with your device."

EDIT:
Signature Saver seems to work, but all it does is saves a jpg of what is scribbled.

KumquatBry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KumquatBry
redskin92 wrote:Sold these at my job.. I must say more then 50% found their way back. The demo model was so slow and glitchy, as well.

I worked at Borders and we had to push these on people. They were garbage. I agree with redskin92. We had a bunch of returns of dead units and the floor models would even stop working.

thegreatreverend

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thegreatreverend

Here's a review back when it first came out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dsmqHWrPis
Even at $65, I'm not impressed. I have better things to spend my cash on.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

11-Web Pages from Woot's Community Forum on Woot's Previous Sale for this Product on 11-16-2011:

Previous Sale on Woot November 16, 2011 for More Info

pohlmacs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pohlmacs

I bought this on Black Friday at Radio Shack for $99 and it was terrible and returned it right away. The number of apps available that you could download is extremely limited. This is a great deal maybe for the kids or an only e-reader, but I certainly would not bother if you want anything close to performance of more mainstream tablets have to offer.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

panthiest

quality posts: 19 Private Messages panthiest

*sigh* I thought "sweet, woot is finally offering a tablet cheap enough for me to justify buying one even though I already have a laptop"

Then I saw the reviews on here.

Oh well

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender
tom61 wrote:Nope, nope and nope. Also, not all Android games will run. This has a MIPs processor and most applications are optimized for ARM.

Why do you have to ruin it for everyone. That MIPS processor is a secret! That's why it's not mentioned ANYWHERE.

innerlude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages innerlude

Anybody else deterred from buying this because its only 800x600? However, this would make an excellent gift or use it with smaller children, since this is cheaper than an Ipad and you just know its only a matter of time before they break it. SD card is a nice touch. Android has lots of great apps. I say this is an awesome stocking stuffer that could see a lot of use for anyone.

a5m0deu5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages a5m0deu5

Does anyone that has this tablet know if the 2X client does not work in 2.2? It's listed in their app store but this amazon comment says that it doesn't work. This would be a deal breaker/maker for me. http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JPA7CW86WT02

tryitsniperz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tryitsniperz

I see a lot of people saying this would be a great gift but not many people saying they are going to purchase one for themselves... Tell you anything? =\

otnogas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages otnogas

Anyone know if this tab is compatible with the Squareup app? and if this would be a good, cheap credit card processing device?

electroken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages electroken

I have one of these, and to anyone who has ever used an iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Acer Aspire A500, Toshiba Thrive, etc. this T301 will be unbearably slow. The display brightness is adequate at best.

alanhoyle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanhoyle

How would it work as a picture frame? Is the screen decent? (viewing angles, color shifts, etc. )

knightmoon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knightmoon
tljx wrote:Anyone know if this can be rooted and/or are there any custom firmwares available for it? If so, I'm definitely in for one.

One working ROM available and it is very limited http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/27583-rom-t301-sjhill-rom-17-feb-2012-download-link-updated/

knightmoon

electroken wrote:I have one of these, and to anyone who has ever used an iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Acer Aspire A500, Toshiba Thrive, etc. this T301 will be unbearably slow. The display brightness is adequate at best.

Agreed the processor is painfully slow around 528 mhz

hibrjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hibrjr
paulpnevada wrote:A wise man once told me 'You can't polish a turd'.

Mythbusters did it...

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-polishing-a-turd.html

knightmoon

kamnet wrote:Well, biscuits! I just dropped $250 on a Nook Tablet + screen protectors + case and spent a weekend learning how to install CM7 because I thought this was the best bang-for-the-buck deal, and now Woot puts this up for sale! Maybe I should just return my Nook and get this instead? In for one!

If I remember the specs on the Nook tablet, it has a dual core 1 GHz processor 16 gigs internal memory and has an SD slot capable up to 32 gigs. IMO stick to the Nook

knightmoon

soypancho wrote:So in the place it seems like they'd mention the processor, it says "stylish". Instill confidence that does not.

According to slatedroid the processor is 528 mhz and can not be overclocked

The main problem that I encountered is that with the froyo update (2.2.1) you lose the play market (formerly Android market) because of that I installed the SJHill custom ROM and some apps seem to have issue with custom roms. Although in the past year or so most manufacturers are actually embracing the ROM development communities as evidenced by CyanMod . The main problem here is that it SHIPS with 2.2 and unless you are tech savvy you may (emphasis on may) not have access to the google market to download any of these apps everyone is asking about. That's my 2 cents... Spend them wisely.

russdog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages russdog

Just looking for a cheap spare to use in the kitchen for retrieving recipes and for reading while waiting for things in the oven...

Does Aldiko work on this?

How about Evernote?

russdog

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
paulpnevada wrote:A wise man once told me 'You can't polish a turd'.

Really? My brother teaches high school kids so I think that's what he does for a living!

I kid,I kid!

retropug

quality posts: 2 Private Messages retropug

If you are looking for a more powerful "cheap" tablet I found the Polaroid 7" tab at Big Lots for only $99.00 and it's running ICS (4.0.3). No cameras but it is capacitive and it comes "rooted" from the factory. Folks have gotten the actual Android market on it as-well. I don't know, for $40.00 more that seems like a worthy upgrade from this and it's not a refurb.

g19fanatic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages g19fanatic

You get what you pay for. This little thing is underpowered for virtually anything useful.

That being said, it does work with Pandora. This is the only use that we've had for it (hooked up to external speakers).

aphroat

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aphroat

This is just barely an upgrade over my R102, and only because it has 4gb of onboard storage (not RAM, storage) instead of my R102's measly 256mb of storage.

On the plus side if you're mildly nerdy you'll be able to root this thing and upgrade the OS pretty easily.

This is a decent alternative to a Nook Color, runs the Kindle Reader app just fine. Probably won't do so well with Angry Birds with only 256mb.

$120 for the same unit over at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=T301-R&cat=CON so Woot is offering a pretty good deal.

I'd be in for one but I already have the R102 and an Entourage PocketEdge.

Blade2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Blade2000
CowboyDann wrote:Okay, $60 for a tablet. This seems too good to be true so I have to assume this tablet can't do everything you'd expect it to. Can you give me a realistic idea of what to expect with this thing?

It would made a great doorstop or coaster. Possibly a nice serving tray for hor dourves. Lots of uses! Oh, and it might let you browse the Internet and send an email once in a while. I mean, if thats your thing.

kmsshaffer

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kmsshaffer

I bought two of these via Woot, I believe it was last year sometime. Personnally, I beleive I wasted my money. If all you want is an email reader, it works fine but the lack of compatablity and the slow processing make this tablet a real slug. My daughter uses hers once in a while (she's 13) for email only. I rooted mine, yes they are rootable, but it really didn't help much. Gave access to more apps that don't really run well on this tablet and that was about it. Mine is now collecting dust.

Douginaz

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Douginaz

If you are looking for a $60 tablet, and not expecting an ipad, then the 7" White Pandigital Novel might be for you. Check Ben's outlet.

There is/was lots of interest at slatedroid.com and custom roms that make this thing a very usable android 2.1 device. Take some of the negative reviews with a grain of salt; some people shouldn't own even a screwdriver, yet alone a piece of complex electronics that is far from perfect.

It has an 800x600 resistive touch screen that it very good if you use a stylus or your fingernail. It makes a decent reader, email checker picture viewer, and probably lots more. I'm happy with mine, as updated, since it does more than I expected out of a $60 tablet.

chalice845

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chalice845

I had one for about 15 days. It is slow and surfing the net is not recommended although I was able to pull up facebook. The keyboard screen had 2 letters and the number one that did not work. It was as if that area of the screen just didn't respond to touch which made it difficult to register on any websites if you have a "1" in your address. It was not bad if you are going to use it as a reader and I was happy about that until on day 16 it just died and couldn't be reset or reloaded. It just became a shiny paperweight. Luckily I bought it at Walmart and took it back. I was done and so was it. I'm sure this one is wonderful though.

Truelyscrumptious

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Truelyscrumptious

Meh, for $65 it's worth a shot until I have time to unbrick my fiance's real tablet. Then I'll just give it to one of my nephews - they love my hand-me-down tech toys.