j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
llandar wrote:This is the angle I'm hoping to take. I have an empty space on my entertainment center just BEGGING to be filled. If I can cram a Blu ray player in the box, then I'm just increasing our entertainment potential, right?

Have to wait until I have a spare grand or so to buy up parts. Maybe I'll do a blog series about trying to build my own PC (I can't even hang pictures correctly, so it sounds a little daunting even though everyone tells me it's easy).

A grand? $500 was my target. Win 7MC + XBMC + Steam = sploosh.

Ars Guide for budget boxen

And there's always AVS forums.
AVS Forums

It's only easy when you're steeped in it. Maybe a turnkey box from Dell or HP is a better choice?

move along

wulfcj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wulfcj

Was anybody else surprised at how bad the graphics looked? I honestly thought it was a knock off sort of thing until I went to activision's website.

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
wulfcj wrote:Was anybody else surprised at how bad the graphics looked? I honestly thought it was a knock off sort of thing until I went to activision's website.

They definitely didn't impress me. I think the age of the hardware is finally starting to hold things back.

bogus

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

If it's any consolation to you, most PC games made since 2007 are phoned-in ports of console games so you're not missing much. I buy a lot less games now, partly because game companies' attitude insults my integrity and partly because games just aren't as interesting anymore.

garrettwheat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garrettwheat
llandar wrote:Are you attractive? I'm looking for someone willing to sit next to me on the flight.

My wife says I'm attractive! Can I go to E3?!?

lroux

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lroux

I play

Half Life series (Single Player): because of the story line. This one is single path, but at least it is a bit more than just shooting and running. Well, it is shooting and running, but this time for a reason.

Portal series: because it is so darn fun. Nothing like paying to have an NPC insult you!

Day of Defeat: Yeah, it is really old and crappy graphics but the gameplay is still one of the best. Moongamers!

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman
garrettwheat wrote:My wife says I'm attractive! Can I go to E3?!?

Hey now. You may very well be an attractive man, but I get dibs because I have a uterus.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

llandar

abitterwoman wrote:Hey now. You may very well be an attractive man, but I get dibs because I have a uterus.

That's one of my favorite things about you!

malkav11

quality posts: 9 Private Messages malkav11

I'm not excited for Black Ops 2, but I would be if the price tag were less insane. I think the Call of Duty games do an excellent job of providing a varied, intense military-themed amusement park ride. Sure, there's no substance there and (Modern Warfare 1 aside) no real intelligence, but things blowing up real good is all I ask sometimes. The trouble is, they've tacked on some silly competitive shooter that I don't care a fig about and people are more than happy to pay $60 for that when I want to pay about $15 for the park ride.

In terms of innovation and creativity...well, your best bet is a PC, unfortunately. Most of the AAA games are the same as on console (since they are, after all, console ports), improved perhaps by better hardware and input methods, but not changed designwise. But there's a wide open indie space providing all sorts of weird little things (and 800 million match 3 clones and hidden object games, don't get me wrong), not to mention the different mentality that comes from games from Germany and Eastern Europe, where PCs are still king and hardly anyone develops for console. When you get a chance, check out Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, for a vision of shootering quite different from the Call of Duty fare; Cryostasis, for weird cold Russian horror; Pathologic for an utterly mad survival experience informed by death and plague (it's not fun, but it's not meant to be. It is amazing, though.), etc.

But as long as you're stuck on console, occasional glimmers of originality shine through. Take, for example, budget wonder Deadly Premonition, an open world mystery/survival horror game with last-gen visuals, Twin Peaks influence, clunky controls and combat, and a heaping helping of quirk.

malkav11

quality posts: 9 Private Messages malkav11

Also: picking the parts for a PC is hard. Building it is pretty easy. Slots are labelled and most stuff just snaps in, or is plugged in with cords. A roomy case will really help avoid the biggest problem, which is just getting your hands in the right places to attach things.

eckerput

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eckerput
llandar wrote:This is the angle I'm hoping to take.

From my experience a HTPC and a gaming PC are a bit at odds. It's hard to build something suited for both. For a HTPC you generally want small and quiet. For a gaming PC size and sound don't matter, but power, and a nice surface for your mouse and keyboard are critical. Try getting into video editing. That needs almost the exact rig you need for a gaming rig(particularly with the CUDA accelerated video editors).

(By the way I'm a HL1/2/..., Portal 1/2, MW1/2/3, Battlefield 2/3, Deus Ex on the PC kind of gamer).

llandar

eckerput wrote:From my experience a HTPC and a gaming PC are a bit at odds.

In my head, it's just a gaming rig with a Blu-ray player.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
llandar wrote:In my head, it's just a gaming rig with a Blu-ray player.

yup.
My rig is pretty damned quiet, fits in my media console, and does games and movies quite nicely, thanks.

move along

misterducky

quality posts: 3 Private Messages misterducky
j5 wrote:yup.
My rig is pretty damned quiet, fits in my media console, and does games and movies quite nicely, thanks.

That's a PC that can play games.
That's not a gaming PC.

One doesn't always equal the other.

brdr159

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brdr159

I have a xbox 360 and love MOH. I play all the time, also an adult male who shouldn't play as much as he does.
I really just got in to the whole playing online thing within the last year. Is far as I'm concerned the games should be made for online and skip the whole campaign version.
As a side note really enjoyed playing "Black" on my old xbox.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman
brdr159 wrote:I have a xbox 360 and love MOH. I play all the time, also an adult male who shouldn't play as much as he does.
I really just got in to the whole playing online thing within the last year. Is far as I'm concerned the games should be made for online and skip the whole campaign version.
As a side note really enjoyed playing "Black" on my old xbox.

I agree with you on the point that games should be made for online. Beating enemies is way more fun when you know its an actual person (or maybe that's just because I'm such a bitter woman). I also find it to be hilarious when you win and the loser sends you a furious message. The most disturbing crap that was ever talked to me was by a little boy who sounded around 9. It is so bizarre to hear little kids cursing. I still love online gaming, though.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."