KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista
pooflady wrote:KtC, I sure hope they don't dumb down the questions for this group.

"Jeopardy!" has announced the line-up of celebrities who will participate in the special "Power Players Week" tournament.
Silver fox Anderson Cooper, "New Girl" cameo maker Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Lewis Black are just a few names on the eclectic roster of competitor, who each stand to earn $10,000 for their charity (winners earn a minimum of $50,000).
Monday, May 14
Former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs (Competing for Pine Hills Literacy Project)
"Hardball" host Chris Matthews (La Salle College High School)
CNN correspondent Lizzie O'Leary (826DC)
Tuesday, May 15
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Skyhook Foundation)
CNBC anchor David Faber (New Visions for Public Schools)
Fox News host and former White House Press Secretary Dana Perino (Pets2Vets)
Wednesday, May 16
BBC America anchor Katty Kay (International Women's Media Foundation)
Dr. Mehmet Oz (HealthCorps)
Fox News host Chris Wallace (Hope for the Warriors)
Thursday, May 17
Lewis Black (Cystic Fibrosis Foundation)
Chicago Tribune columnist Clarence Page (American Institute for Stuttering)
NBC News Chief White House Correspondent Chuck Todd (Samaritan Inns)
Friday, May 18
Professional giggler Anderson Cooper (The Trevor Project)
New York Times columnist Thomas L. Friedman (Conservation International)
NBC News Capitol Hill Correspondent Kelly O'Donnell (Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation)

One could hope not! Although they always get so friendly and non-competitive during celeb weeks. It's more chat than questions.

Beware the V'owls screech!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
KtCallista wrote:The Empire is a juggernaut. Their firepower is vastly stronger than Starfleet's. They also have extremely heavy armor in addition to their deflector shields. Their craft (with the exception of Interceptors) are designed to take some serious hits without failure. Starfleet vessels are designed for exploration. They are a smaller lighter craft, that while it does have a speed advantage (that it can only manipulate in short bursts) they can not take sustained high intensity fire, like that from the main turret of a destroyer. Even with their speed they can't outmaneuver the Interceptors. They simply aren't built for war, like the Empire is. Even in their fights with Klingon or Borg they were mostly border skirmishes between just a few ships, never taking on an armada. It's not just technology differences, it's the psychology behind their equipment.

pair "dimensional shift" (tng ep "the high ground") with antimatter - heavy external armor means nothing when you can teleport antimatter into the middle of a ship.

no1

KtCallista wrote:they can not take sustained high intensity fire, like that from the main turret of a destroyer.

forgot to mention: if starfleet ships can travel ftl and the empire weaponry do not, how are they gonna get hit?

no1

KtCallista wrote:One could hope not! Although they always get so friendly and non-competitive during celeb weeks. It's more chat than questions.

that crew seems like they should be mostly fairly well read. if it were up to me i'd throw regular difficulty at them, they'd handle it better than the typical actor or other celebrity.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:pair "dimensional shift" (tng ep "the high ground") with antimatter - heavy external armor means nothing when you can teleport antimatter into the middle of a ship.

Teleports require proximity. Fancy tactics only take down ships for a short time. The second death star had it's vulnerability much better guarded than the first. In a straight out fight, they are unmatched. If Starfleet came across the Empire, they would adapt or be defeated. Most likely they would adapt, but in open war, the ships from the series simply couldn't compete.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:that crew seems like they should be mostly fairly well read. if it were up to me i'd throw regular difficulty at them, they'd handle it better than the typical actor or other celebrity.

Or at least college level questions.

no1

KtCallista wrote:Teleports require proximity. Fancy tactics only take down ships for a short time. The second death star had it's vulnerability much better guarded than the first. In a straight out fight, they are unmatched. If Starfleet came across the Empire, they would adapt or be defeated. Most likely they would adapt, but in open war, the ships from the series simply couldn't compete.

i forgot to mention "pegasus" tech from tng ep "the pegasus", in which starfleet demonstrates tech to make ships immaterial so they can't be hit by a weapon at all, and cloaked to boot (invisible). send a pegasus-tech-equipped ship to drop off a couple kilos of antimatter into the center of the ship (enough to blow the death star to teeny tiny bits) and leave without taking any weapons fire at all.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

What a bunch of crap. Sorry I said anything.

I just want PWA back.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
no1 wrote:that crew seems like they should be mostly fairly well read. if it were up to me i'd throw regular difficulty at them, they'd handle it better than the typical actor or other celebrity.

Kareem's been on before. He's extremely intelligent.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:What a bunch of crap. Sorry I said anything.

I just want PWA back.

You could join poof's discussion on news/celeb Jeopardy. Or start a random conversation with me. I will warn you though, I haven't consumed any solid food in the last 48 hours and am a little loopy.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:Kareem's been on before. He's extremely intelligent.

That should make for a good night to watch. Most of the contestants look like they should be able to answer some decent questions. I'd love to see them do some off-topic stuff like Historical Lit.

KtCallista

no1 wrote:i forgot to mention "pegasus" tech from tng ep "the pegasus", in which starfleet demonstrates tech to make ships immaterial so they can't be hit by a weapon at all, and cloaked to boot (invisible). send a pegasus-tech-equipped ship to drop off a couple kilos of antimatter into the center of the ship (enough to blow the death star to teeny tiny bits) and leave without taking any weapons fire at all.

You are still talking flash in the pan, one off tactics. One-off tactics is the Rebel strikes, it's not war confrontation. I'm not saying it won't work, but in an all out war, they don't survive. That's why only in the last movie do we see a full rebel attack on the Death Star and even that is a stall tactic so they can make a one-off attack on the mega weapon. If the Empire hadn't panicked when the Emperor got blown up inside the Death Star they would have won that battle. They retreated in panic though.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken
AZGman wrote:What a bunch of crap. Sorry I said anything.

I just want PWA back.

Sorry about that AZG. If you look at my original post this morning, I tried to stop the inevitable before it even got started. But then J5 saw it in the brief window in which it was up and decided to play the "same as race" card, and, well, it all went downhill from there. guess we all have our grumpy days.

AZGman

Seems less caustic for the time being.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

"I'll take the rapists for $500 Trebek!"
~Sean Connery

move along

AZGman

Without pointing any fingers, today's diatribes were precisely what I wanted to prevent.

no1

KtCallista wrote:You are still talking flash in the pan, one off tactics. One-off tactics is the Rebel strikes, it's not war confrontation. I'm not saying it won't work, but in an all out war, they don't survive. That's why only in the last movie do we see a full rebel attack on the Death Star and even that is a stall tactic so they can make a one-off attack on the mega weapon. If the Empire hadn't panicked when the Emperor got blown up inside the Death Star they would have won that battle. They retreated in panic though.

but the star wars universe has zero engineering ability at all. in the 50 years between start of prequel trilogy and end of original trilogy, their tech doesn't change at all. i see no problem with starfleet using its tech over and over again and the empire not really coming up with any sort of defense.

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:Seems less caustic for the time being.

PWA has always been our refuge from serious. I get that. I like TT's idea of a separate thread for serious, and if that gets more popular than PWA, we'll know that the time of the Whores was well played. If not, we'll hobble through like we always have.

Anyway, any thoughts on Jeopardy? I didn't even get to watch my cousin compete, so I don't really have a lot to say on the topic until it goes online (and here is where Turken shows me where it is online and I've been ignorant of this fact, or No1, or someone, or not)

KtCallista

no1 wrote:but the star wars universe has zero engineering ability at all. in the 50 years between start of prequel trilogy and end of original trilogy, their tech doesn't change at all. i see no problem with starfleet using its tech over and over again and the empire not really coming up with any sort of defense.

The prequels are a figment of the imagination.

no1

KtCallista wrote:PWA has always been our refuge from serious. I get that. I like TT's idea of a separate thread for serious, and if that gets more popular than PWA, we'll know that the time of the Whores was well played. If not, we'll hobble through like we always have.

Anyway, any thoughts on Jeopardy? I didn't even get to watch my cousin compete, so I don't really have a lot to say on the topic until it goes online (and here is where Turken shows me where it is online and I've been ignorant of this fact, or No1, or someone, or not)

i think alex is a computer sim anyway.

Turken

hrmmm.. and now the google ad at the bottom of the page is promoting concealed-carry gun laws. not sure if it was triggered by the political tirades or the space battle talk, but either way, a bit creepy.

no1

KtCallista wrote:The prequels are a figment of the imagination.

ha haa! i agree with that!

Turken

KtCallista wrote:(and here is where Turken shows me where it is online and I've been ignorant of this fact, or No1, or someone, or not)

sorry, don't really follow jeopardy on-air or off. maybe no1 will be more help.

KtCallista

Turken wrote:hrmmm.. and now the google ad at the bottom of the page is promoting concealed-carry gun laws. not sure if it was triggered by the political tirades or the space battle talk, but either way, a bit creepy.

I have a furniture ad, so you must be special

KtCallista

no1 wrote:i think alex is a computer sim anyway.

Maybe in the future he will be. He's been doing that show forever. Maybe they could reprogram IBMs Watson to take over hosting of the show?

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:Maybe in the future he will be. He's been doing that show forever. Maybe they could reprogram IBMs Watson to take over hosting of the show?

Or bring Art Fleming out of cryogenic suspension!

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:Or bring Art Fleming out of cryogenic suspension!

Still need to do a bit of research on that front. Apparently, we can't quite unfreeze people yet.... sorta became and issue in a short story I was writing, before things got busy.

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:Still need to do a bit of research on that front. Apparently, we can't quite unfreeze people yet.... sorta became and issue in a short story I was writing, before things got busy.

There ya go again; inserting reality unnecessarily!!!

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:There ya go again; inserting reality unnecessarily!!!

darn it... I knew I was slipping. That's why it took me so long to post.

edit: At least I didn't mention that by law, one must actually be clinically dead before they can be cryogenically frozen and we haven't cured death yet either. Although according to my facebook feed, we are supposed to be able to live forever soon or something like that.

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:darn it... I knew I was slipping. That's why it took me so long to post.

edit: At least I didn't mention that by law, one must actually be clinically dead before they can be cryogenically frozen and we haven't cured death yet either. Although according to my facebook feed, we are supposed to be able to live forever soon or something like that.

We're all gonna die before any one of us lives forever!

KtCallista

AZGman wrote:We're all gonna die before any one of us lives forever!

Good thing too. Who would want to do something foolish like live forever!

AZGman

KtCallista wrote:Good thing too. Who would want to do something foolish like live forever!

Humans are, arguably, the most foolish species this planet has produced . . . so far!!

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:Maybe in the future he will be. He's been doing that show forever. Maybe they could reprogram IBMs Watson to take over hosting of the show?

He's mentioned in two years when he has 30 under his belt.

AZGman

g'night'

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:He's mentioned in two years when he has 30 under his belt.

Sounds like a good round number.

Goodnight GMan.

KtCallista

And they've all gone to dinner... except the mods, they're all driving home. //sigh

pooflady

I'm here. Made fajitas for dinner.

KtCallista

pooflady wrote:I'm here. Made fajitas for dinner.

ah. Solid food, I miss thee.

KtCallista

Must be some good fajitas.

pooflady

KtCallista wrote:Must be some good fajitas.

Couldn't come up with another topic.

Well, I can, but it would probably also involve a lot of opinions and I'd prefer just a like/don't like reply.

Oh, well. Time's cover. Don't like.