Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

It's fair to say people are more enlightened about species conservation today than back when we intentionally hunted "nuisance" animals into extinction. And there have been some restoration success stories. But in some places, things are actually getting worse. Climate change, habitat destruction, and poaching continue to threaten species around the world, from whales to polar bears. Just last year, the Eastern Lynx and Western Black Rhinoceros were declared extinct. Can you name these eight species that today we can only see through paintings, photos, and stuffed specimens?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 29 Private Messages abitterwoman

#7 is the dodo. I know that. The rest I will have to guess on...

1-Pigeons who live near McDonalds. Went extinct because they ate too many dropped french fries.

2-Zebra-giraffe...Zebraffe. Went extinct because its neck is too long to run fast, yet too short to be of much use.

3-The Foxes sissy cousin, the Weirdmouth Smox. Went extinct because it just plain sucks.

4-The blind Dodo. An evolved yet somehow worse version of the regular Dodo.

5-Tiger-Dogs. Killed themselves because they were part cat.

6-Your Aunts Parakeet- Why did you leave the cage open and the fan running?

7-Dodo bird!

8-The Mouth-Breathing Ram

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I think I missed twelve this week. This was a hard one.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

motospyder

quality posts: 16 Private Messages motospyder

1. Passenger pigeon
2. Tanned zebra
3. Fox pig
4. Great Auk
5. Tasmanian Devil
6. Caged bird that sings
7. Dodo
8. Big-arsed ram

Or something like that....

jtrouch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtrouch

I get the Great Auk, Tasmanian Tiger, Passenger Pigeon, Dodo, Quagga, and maybe an Aardwolf, Amazon Parrot....then perhaps a Muflon....then I have no idea

Why, every morning, do I get an ORDER CONFIRMATION of something I didn't order? It is always the first item listed in the new line-up. Then PANIC....did someone steal my personal info from Woot? This is bad JUJU! Make it stop!

glibdud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glibdud
abitterwoman wrote:#7 is the dodo. I know that. The rest I will have to guess on...

*highfive on only knowing the dodo*

I think the only other one I've actually heard of was the quagga. I was proud of myself for identifying #8 as "some sort of ibex". (I will admit that I only actually know that word because of Ubuntu.)

abitterwoman

quality posts: 29 Private Messages abitterwoman
glibdud wrote:*highfive on only knowing the dodo*

I think the only other one I've actually heard of was the quagga. I was proud of myself for identifying #8 as "some sort of ibex". (I will admit that I only actually know that word because of Ubuntu.)

Haha, nice. My boyfriend is an Ubuntu fan, as well. I even bought him the karmic koala shirt a while back. I thought it was pretty cool that with only three black dots you could tell it was a koala.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I think I have number six!

Phatchanz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phatchanz

1. Passenger Pigeon
2. Quagga
3. Honshu Wolf
4. Great Auk
5. Thylacine
6. Carolina Parakeet
7. Dodo
8. Pyrenean Ibex

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

Lol @abitterwoman's post!

Only ones I recognized were the homing pigeon and the dodo. As for the rest, I can see a bird with no eyes dying out, or even weird looking dog tigers, but why would a brown zebra become extinct before black and white zebras? They should blend in with their surroundings much better than the standard zebra. Maybe they just tasted better...