Catawaba


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Catawaba
cterence wrote:does it have a usb port or not!?



Yes*, microUSB only

What was I thinking?

sgtgreeneusmc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc

I want one of these, but I'll probably wait until they woot another batch of new ones like I bought last time.

nowkad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages nowkad

DO NOT BUY THIS! I bought it the last time it was on Woot. It has a 90 day warranty. After 97 days, it stopped working- nothing HP would do, nothing Woot would do. Worthless

silveri


quality posts: 1 Private Messages silveri
cterence wrote:does it have a usb port or not!?



Not exactly, it has a microusb port for the cable to charge it or connect it to your pc.

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
chardonay wrote:As much as I wanted to love the touchpad, it was a total letdown. Froze up constantly, limited apps.. Luckily I could return it to hp, as we bought ours on the hp launch of it



I don't think mine has frozen, but then again I run stock apps only. That said, those apps do seem very limited.

I used mine while traveling recently to show the photos I was taking. It often shows a low-resolution, very fuzzy version of the photo, and it takes many seconds for the full resolution (12 MP) photo to appear. Also, the photos seem to appear in LIFO order, and there doesn't seem to be any way to sort them by date (or name or anything) in the app.

More inconvenience comes from lack of a way to take an SD card (or microSD card) out of the camera and put it directly into the TouchPad, and AFAIK it won't act as a USB host so I can't connect a USB card reader, either. I have to find a PC, copy photos to it, then copy photos from the PC to the TouchPad.

Basically it seems to me to have been a hardware first, OS second, use cases - what use cases? - kind of device.

borntohunt


quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Woot's $195 price is better than Newegg's $210 price & PC Connection Express's $209 price for the same Refurbished 32GB HP TouchPad model. Way-To-Go Woot!

kellic


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellic
cterence wrote:does it have a usb port or not!?



No. Just a normal Mini-USB like what is found on a phone.

flamebird


quality posts: 0 Private Messages flamebird

Got ours here on the last sale, wasn't sure about it.
Now,about a month later, I use it more than my laptop.
Would happily get a couple mere of these, if I had the cash handy.
Really hate auto-correct though.

kellic


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kellic

I have one of these 32GB models. If you only use WebOS then yes. Its a piece of junk and pretty much a doorstop. There is virtually no apps, HP has stopped putting anything other then minor effort to remove bugs and to top it off HP has pretty much offed most of the developers on their WebOS team. (The only ones left are working on open sourcing the OS. There will be no new version of WebOS unless the dev community does it.)

HOWEVER. There is a HUGE development community for this device. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1247 If you put CyanogenMod 9 Beta2 (a.k.a Ice Cream Sandwich) on this thing http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1305891

It becomes 100x more useful. And to be honest this tablet has one of the best set of speakers I've run across on a tablet. Watching movies on this thing is a complete joy.

As long as you are comfortable messing with ROMS go ahead and get this device and upgrade it. You won't be sorry.

One note about CM9. Occasionally. (I'd say once a month.) when you turn on the device the touch interface goes poof. (For me I think its because I overclocked the CPU to 1700Mhz.) Hold down the power and home buttons at the same time and it will reboot the device. *shrugs* That's why its called beta software right now. But other then that, rock solid and stable. I actually have another tablet a Asus Transformer TF101 and I use the touchpad more then the Transformer.

Bealz


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Bealz

Great technology, totally aggravating operating system.
Ferrari engine in a VW beetle with an AM only radio.
You won't be happy with it "as is". You'll need to be comfortable hacking it.

kcchiefsguru


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcchiefsguru

son of a bounty hunter. NOw I regret my purchase just a few weeks ago. ugh

ross1962


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ross1962

It does have a mini USB port, but it doesn't have the same function as one on a PC. It is used for charging the device and reloading the software.
You transfer files via the Box.net cloud service. You get 50 GB free.

Jago3825


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jago3825

If I didn't already 3, I'd buy more. I still might. Rumor has it that HP is done w/ refurbishing these so once whatever is left out there is sold out, they are gone for good. Which is really too bad. This is an amazing tablet. Originally got my first Touchpad during the fire sale because I had to ship my iPad back for service and wanted something cheap to use until I got my iPad back. Liked the touchpad so much I went and bought 2 more (refurbs) from Woot when HP started refurbing them. Paid a lot more too. This is Firesale part 2. Awesome price for this tablet.

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
nowkad wrote:DO NOT BUY THIS! I bought it the last time it was on Woot. It has a 90 day warranty. After 97 days, it stopped working- nothing HP would do, nothing Woot would do. Worthless



Ah yes, because yours may or may not* have died shortly after the warranty that automatically means the same thing will happen to every single device ever sold so no one else should ever buy one...


*Often it seems the "dead" TouchPads are simply fully discharged and won't power on because the battery is too low. This is sometimes the result of the two-prong connector that plugs into the wall getting accidentally twisted loose from the charger (it twists and locks/unlocks so it can be swapped out for a European style plug, etc). Locking it back into place fixes that problem. Second most common is likely the microusb port being damaged by the user (bent/dropped/jammed/etc) or the device being physically damaged or exposed to water, etc. That's usually not covered under a standard warranty anyway, although you might check with your credit card company since many will extend your warranty automatically on products purchased with the card. You can also still charge it with a TouchStone charger (only the TouchPad style one though, not the phone style one) if the microusb port is damaged and unusable for charging.

In any case, it's not Woot's fault that something went wrong after 90 days, and likely not HP's either. I find most electronics that last a month are good for the long haul unless damaged physically, exposed to electrical surges, or they eventually just wear out, usually years later. A couple of notable exceptions include things that involve high heat (e.g. the Nvidia BGA problem that affected Dell, HP, Apple, etc laptops a few years ago) or when cheap electrolytic capacitors leak/fail, or if a non-user-replaceable Li-ion battery pack shorts out and fries itself.

aea414


quality posts: 2 Private Messages aea414
cterence wrote:does it have a usb port or not!?



A micro-USB port on the bottom.

beezn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beezn

suggested viewing - android on touchpad this guy gives great touchpad android advice and walkthroughs. including flashing roms, bootloader tweaks and how to use USB host mode aka - use a keyboard, mouse and usb storage

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
ross1962 wrote:It does have a mini USB port, but it doesn't have the same function as one on a PC. It is used for charging the device and reloading the software.
You transfer files via the Box.net cloud service. You get 50 GB free.



You can use the USB port for transferring files to or from a PC - you don't need to use the cloud for this. In this respect, it's like most other devices with a USB port (cameras, media players, etc.): you connect the TouchPad to a PC via USB cable, you click the appropriate option on the TouchPad, and the TouchPad then acts like a USB flash drive until you "eject" it from the PC.

jibal


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jibal
Catawaba wrote:DUMB QUESTION ALERT
Is this the same idea as an iPad?

::head hanging in shame::



Welcome traveler! There's no shame in being new to this universe.

gerudox


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gerudox

From a TouchPad owner, there is not a better tablet out there. WebOS is stunning, but obviously dead at this point. If you do some Googling, you just might find some Robot love that you can put on there. The hardware is blazing fast if you give it some icy cold sandwichy goodness.

ysong


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ysong

HP touchpad Good performance ... but the problem is also a lot

kcchiefsguru


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcchiefsguru

BTW, ICS runs excellent on this tablet. WebOS is great but underdeveloped with very few apps. I have been very happy with ICS.

joybus


quality posts: 5 Private Messages joybus

I'm late to the comments here but I'll add my 2c: this is a good price on an excellent tablet. I run dual-boot WebOS (rarely touched) and CyanogenMod 9 (Android ICS4) on mine and use it daily. The only thing not working under Android (afaik) is the camera, which I never touch anyway. Youtube, Netflix, games, etc all work.

I have a Viewsonic gTablet (also Wooted) as well and I use the HP a great deal more. The gTab is slightly faster but the screen (both viewing and touching) is far better on the HP. It is really quality hardware. One thing, however, that the gTab wins on is the USB host port (so you can plug in a USB memstick.)

Perhaps not coincidentally, it's the exact size of an iPad2. Do the cases, etc fit? I dunno.

Others have posted links to modding sites for this tablet. If you're comfortable modding a tablet (easy 1-2-3 directions are everywhere) this is a great platform for it with a strong dev community.

evilmicrowizard


quality posts: 7 Private Messages evilmicrowizard
kellic wrote:No. Just a normal Mini-USB like what is found on a phone.

It's not mini-USB at all, it's micro-USB. World of difference there.

cityheat


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cityheat
Passenger57 wrote:Absolutely love my 32GB I got during the fire sale. Only thing that's ever left me wanting is the lack of a microSD slot.



NO SD slot? NO DEAL. Imagine having a digital camera in 2012 with no memory slot- completely insane.

Souka


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Souka
cityheat wrote:NO SD slot? NO DEAL. Imagine having a digital camera in 2012 with no memory slot- completely insane.



Why oh why would anyone take pictures with this? ;)

Syndil


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Syndil

Was lucky enough to score 4 of these during the fire sale. Waited over a month for them to be delivered, however. So if you're thinking you'd have rather paid the fire sale prices... Would it have been worth it to wait that long to receive your product? It was a crazy ordeal over at the Precentral.net forums.

Anyway, just buy one! Awesome tablet.

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
cityheat wrote:NO SD slot? NO DEAL. Imagine having a digital camera in 2012 with no memory slot- completely insane.



If my camera had 32GB of flash and WiFi, and email and 50GB free cloud storage then sure, no need for a memory card there either.
I used to think I needed a microSD slot on a tablet, but realized I would never actually use it anyway. I only needed one on my old phone because it had hardly any built in flash.

jbgroup1


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jbgroup1
gantt wrote:...and AFAIK it won't act as a USB host so I can't connect a USB card reader, either. I have to find a PC, copy photos to it, then copy photos from the PC to the TouchPad.

Basically it seems to me to have been a hardware first, OS second, use cases - what use cases? - kind of device.



Actually it does act as a host and a card reader, keyboard, mouse and other USB devices can be connected to the touchpad but it does not provide power for those devices so one must use a powered USB hub to attach devices to it.

Chi. Yes, I want you to do something for me. I want you to go in my room, look over my suits, in the ceiling, up on the ceiling you'll see a key stuck there. I want you to take it down and bring it to me. Meet me at the Total Experience in one halfa hour. Can you dig it?

pjharrington


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjharrington
cterence wrote:does it have a usb port or not!?



No but you can easily buy an adaptor for real cheap!

the24frans


quality posts: 0 Private Messages the24frans

it has a "mini usb port" which is supposed to mean something to us? do you need a shrink ray to put your flash drives into it? hey I want a shrink ray for my old laptop and it can then be almost a tablet!! then i could have a tablet with a microSD slot finally! woot woot!

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
rom wrote:good to see price was reduced since last time.

HP TouchPad Review



if u mean the last time new one?.....or the last time respiff.

willjammer

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
flamebird wrote:Got ours here on the last sale, wasn't sure about it.
Now,about a month later, I use it more than my laptop.
Would happily get a couple mere of these, if I had the cash handy.
Really hate auto-correct though.



u can turn it off. you can also put words in the dictionary to slow it down.

willjammer

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
kellic wrote:I have one of these 32GB models. If you only use WebOS then yes. Its a piece of junk and pretty much a doorstop. There is virtually no apps, HP has stopped putting anything other then minor effort to remove bugs and to top it off HP has pretty much offed most of the developers on their WebOS team. (The only ones left are working on open sourcing the OS. There will be no new version of WebOS unless the dev community does it.)

HOWEVER. There is a HUGE development community for this device. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1247 If you put CyanogenMod 9 Beta2 (a.k.a Ice Cream Sandwich) on this thing http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1305891

It becomes 100x more useful. And to be honest this tablet has one of the best set of speakers I've run across on a tablet. Watching movies on this thing is a complete joy.

As long as you are comfortable messing with ROMS go ahead and get this device and upgrade it. You won't be sorry.

One note about CM9. Occasionally. (I'd say once a month.) when you turn on the device the touch interface goes poof. (For me I think its because I overclocked the CPU to 1700Mhz.) Hold down the power and home buttons at the same time and it will reboot the device. *shrugs* That's why its called beta software right now. But other then that, rock solid and stable. I actually have another tablet a Asus Transformer TF101 and I use the touchpad more then the Transformer.



actually i've found quite a few useful apps inf the preware community for webos. as far as bizapps go, it has plenty of them as well.

webos is far superior to android and iOS.

willjammer

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
Bealz wrote:Great technology, totally aggravating operating system.
Ferrari engine in a VW beetle with an AM only radio.
You won't be happy with it "as is". You'll need to be comfortable hacking it.



what exactly are you talking about aggravating? is it the multi-tasking that bothers you? you can't do that on iOS or android.

it's stable and based on PalmOS. sure, there are some bugs, but overall a very stable and powerful platform. i've owned the samsung galaxy and an ipad and this device runs circles around them as far as basic productivity goes. the just type interface and mail handling capabilities are stellar.

willjammer

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
vibes4me wrote:THIS IS A STEAL! I have 3 already and if I wasn't straped for cash I'd being order 2 of these.

Who needs a Police monitored IPAD when you can have a WEBOS multiple apps running at once Super Duper Device like the HP Touchpad. Soon to be replaced by just another run-of-the-mill SLATE running Windows 8 (Like there aren't enough Windows Tablets out there already)...

Help keep a dream alive, invest in a Touchpad.



amen! love mine. this device is remarkable.

willjammer

deibs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages deibs
gerudox wrote:From a TouchPad owner, there is not a better tablet out there. WebOS is stunning, but obviously dead at this point. If you do some Googling, you just might find some Robot love that you can put on there. The hardware is blazing fast if you give it some icy cold sandwichy goodness.



download preware for webos and the uberkernel and govnah...then you'll really see a fast WebOS...it smokes. beats the hell out of android. and check out the preware patches and apps.

there are plenty of useful apps for this tab...and many are free....

willjammer

worldwidewebfeet


quality posts: 33 Private Messages worldwidewebfeet
nowkad wrote:DO NOT BUY THIS! I bought it the last time it was on Woot. It has a 90 day warranty. After 97 days, it stopped working- nothing HP would do, nothing Woot would do. Worthless



WARNING WARNING: Do not buy anything,some of every product known to man will have problems after the warranty expires. A warranty is designated for a specific time, if your item breaks afterwards, that's life, and life is not fair.

gantt


quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
jbgroup1 wrote:Actually it does act as a host and a card reader, keyboard, mouse and other USB devices can be connected to the touchpad but it does not provide power for those devices so one must use a powered USB hub to attach devices to it.



Interesting. So I connect the TouchPad to the powered USB hub as if it were a PC, and then connect the card reader to the hub, and it just works? How does the card reader/card appear on the TouchPad interface? What app does one use to transfer files between the TouchPad and the card? Or is it through some sort of file explorer/browser in the OS itself? I've never seen that feature in the OS.

ultim8gamr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ultim8gamr

I've had the Touchpad since the initial fire sale last fall. GET ON IT! This thing is awesome! Running the latest version of android on it for less than most (if any) other android based tablets out on the market cost.

squiegy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages squiegy

Will Google Market let you download apps to this rooted ICS tablet or do you have to use the Amazon App store/others for Android Apps??