WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Let’s be scientific: Which of these two movies will end up making more money?
  • 45.7% - The Avengers. 999
  • 27.8% - The Dark Knight Rises. 607
  • 26.6% - You know what? I’m just gonna sit this one out. 581
2187 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bluejester


quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

Avengers will be the movie everyone will see because it looks like fun. Batman will be the movie that everyone who sees it, will think it deserves an Oscar.

Because it's Batman.


eepeep


quality posts: 5 Private Messages eepeep

In movie box office gross and licensed merchandise sales, the Avengers will kick the tar out of the Dark Knight.

Overall, the Avengers are more family friendly than the Batman.

(Just my opinion)

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and binds the universe together.

hikerjohnd


quality posts: 1 Private Messages hikerjohnd

I think Batman because of the established franchise that has gotten better each time. While I know who the Avengers are, I really have no plan to see the movie in the theater. Except for Iron Man, i found the movies leading up to the Avengers somewhat lacking in content and relying on special effects for the wow factor. While Batman delivered in plot and acting every time.

Will be interesting to see!

juco77


quality posts: 0 Private Messages juco77
hikerjohnd wrote:I think Batman because of the established franchise that has gotten better each time. While I know who the Avengers are, I really have no plan to see the movie in the theater. Except for Iron Man, i found the movies leading up to the Avengers somewhat lacking in content and relying on special effects for the wow factor. While Batman delivered in plot and acting every time.

Will be interesting to see!



I HIGHLY recommend you see it in theaters. I've seen it twice, and while I agree with you that each individual movie for the characters (again, except for Iron Man) is definitely on the "Meh" island, Avengers truly is a GREAT movie. Amazing quotes and chemistry between all of the characters!

epicsatyr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

I love this series of Batman movie, but I have to say....I can kinda see it going the way of Batman forever, and Batman and Robin. Thank Buddha this is the last installment. Hopefully Batman is busy in this flick to whip out his credit card....Oh im sorry "Batcard"

olperfesser


quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

At issue is who goes to see movies over and over again. The people who go to see well written plots, great acting and photography or the people who go to see the same old story lines with whiz bang special effects that blow ones eyes and ears?

The Avengers does not depend on developing characters and story line, but on special effects that are better than anything seen before. Teenagers, who are the main financial source in movie and music entertainment, will flock to see it over and over, like playing a video game without needing a controller.

Batman cannot compete with that. It may be the better movie, and may do well at the box office, but will not do as well as the Avengers.

thatheard


quality posts: 6 Private Messages thatheard

Avengers has more spandex, and Scarlett Johansson. QED

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

The Avengers, because it has more little kid appeal, and demographically, kids decide what movie is seen. They will like The Dark Night because it's Batman, but much of it will be over their head and a bit too dark. They will LOVE The Avengers, because it's right in their wheelhouse.

Slydon


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I also say The Avengers, even though I haven't had time to see it for myself. If you take Heath Ledger's inhumanly perfect performance out of Dark Knight, the movie becomes just sort of average. A different actor in that part and it would have just been another dark comic book movie. I'm sure Dark Knight Rises will make back the budget and then some, but I don't see it breaking records.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

bobcrenshaw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobcrenshaw

Marvel beats DC... always.

rtwesterlund


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtwesterlund

[At the time of post, of course] 42.9% of Woot voters have no faith in Christopher Freaking Nolan. Have you not seen The Dark Knight? Inception? Please...I don't even know WHO directed The Avengers.

Big-name actors (let alone big-name characters) don't compete with big-name DIRECTORS. I may not have ever worked for "the biz," but I was close with someone who worked on the fringes of Hollywood, and what I learned was that the movie belongs to the director. My vote is with The Dark Knight Rises, 100%.

Don't get me wrong, The Avengers looks like fun and I fully intend to watch it (at some point...), but I am EXCITED for The Dark Knight Rises.

wootfast


quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootfast

Staff

which Twilight movie are they up to now?

mattryan


quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

So very over Christian Bale, the last one was TERRIBLE! Howard Wolowitz makes a more convincing Batman than Christian Bale EVER could.

The only reason people saw the last one or even gave the last one ANY sort of relevance was because Heath Ledger killed himself.

Oh, and actors trump directors. I couldn't tell you a single director of a single movie I've seen (well except for the movies Michael Bay rapes, I avoid those at all costs).

kanedax


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kanedax

Avengers has an earlier release date, a wider potential audience, and weaker competition. With MIB3, Prometheus, and Snow White being its biggest contenders over the next month, it may stay in number one one until Brave hits at the end of June.

Avengers draws a more "general" audience than Dark Knight, and, unfortunately, TDKR is missing that one piece that made it such a hit last time: a had-to-see charismatic center in Heath Ledger. Avengers has Downey, Ruffalo, Jackson, Hiddleston, while Dark Knight Returns has... dark and dark.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY MUCH looking forward to Batman. But in terms of numbers it's not going to stack up at summer's end.

Woot x13
ShirtWoot x26
KidsWoot x5

kanedax


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kanedax

Although it's 10pm and I just put in Dark Knight because LEDGER.

Woot x13
ShirtWoot x26
KidsWoot x5

jonstanford


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonstanford

I was going to make the numerous salient points which establish that Batman is the far better series, that Nolan has elevated the superhero movie into allegorical and philosophical masterpiece, that Avengers, while enjoyable, is still basically braincandy, etc., etc., etc., but then I realized that it doesn't matter, because America has NEVER, EVER, not once chosen anything deeper or more challenging over something more accessible and obvious. So I'll just see both (already saw Avengers), know that TDKR is a microbrew and Avengers is Miller Lite, and let America continue to eat itself to death. Bon Appetit!

jrs1980


quality posts: 29 Private Messages jrs1980
rtwesterlund wrote:[At the time of post, of course] 42.9% of Woot voters have no faith in Christopher Freaking Nolan. Have you not seen The Dark Knight? Inception? Please...I don't even know WHO directed The Avengers.

Big-name actors (let alone big-name characters) don't compete with big-name DIRECTORS. I may not have ever worked for "the biz," but I was close with someone who worked on the fringes of Hollywood, and what I learned was that the movie belongs to the director. My vote is with The Dark Knight Rises, 100%.

Don't get me wrong, The Avengers looks like fun and I fully intend to watch it (at some point...), but I am EXCITED for The Dark Knight Rises.



Normally, I would be challenging you to a duel for badmouthing Mr. Joss Whedon who has been in the biz for over 20 years with nary a bad word against him, but I know that comic book movies are srs bsns, so I will refrain.

However, he does have a fanbase, and some of us (me) had no interest in the Avengers/Marvelverse until Whedon signed on to the project. (I'm really more of a DC chick.) I had to rent all five previous movies and catch up. I saw TDK three times in the first week, and I've seen The Avengers three times so far, too.

Not aimed specifically at you, but for me, the answer was The Avengers for these reasons:

  • TDKR is not coming out in 3D. 3D added an estimated 30 mil to Avengers' 1st weekend total. Both will/are being released in IMAX.
  • Much larger cast, with lots of handsome, playful men. (Check out tumblr if you think this isn't relevant. Remember, it was teenage girls that put Titanic where it is now.) Over the past five movies, all of these characters/actors have acquired stans. Don't like Thor but love Captain America? Guess you're going to see this movie. Hate Stark but a big Hulk fan? Whoops, if you want to see Hulk pwn his way through several scenes, guess you'll have to buck up and go see Avengers anyway.
  • TDK was so DARK in comparison to Avengers, and Mr. Wayne is in an even darker place now than he was then. I've yet to attend an Avengers screening that didn't have at least five moments of reliable laughs, to the point where you miss the next line. Other than one fairly obscure British vulgarism, there's no naughty language or adult situations, "just" the major city damage, and that one off-screen body part thing. (No spoiler tags available here, sorry.) TDK had a hanged Batman imposter and a character introduction with the now-infamous pencil trick.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED TDK, and I will be seeing TDKR at 12:01am on July 20. But I think Avengers will win, as it appeals to a broader audience. The only advantage TDKR has is that it's the end of an era and that did pretty well for Deathly Hallows Part II.

Also, I apparently have a lot of feelings.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

pielord


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pielord

The Avengers is going to get more money not because it is a better movie but because it appeals to a larger set of audiences.

piratekate


quality posts: 0 Private Messages piratekate
rtwesterlund wrote:[At the time of post, of course] 42.9% of Woot voters have no faith in Christopher Freaking Nolan. Have you not seen The Dark Knight? Inception? Please...I don't even know WHO directed The Avengers.

Big-name actors (let alone big-name characters) don't compete with big-name DIRECTORS. I may not have ever worked for "the biz," but I was close with someone who worked on the fringes of Hollywood, and what I learned was that the movie belongs to the director. My vote is with The Dark Knight Rises, 100%.

Don't get me wrong, The Avengers looks like fun and I fully intend to watch it (at some point...), but I am EXCITED for The Dark Knight Rises.



Joss Whedon directed Avengers.

grimskull89


quality posts: 11 Private Messages grimskull89

I'm kind of tired of Christian Bale as Batman...

Always so angry.

I AM BRUCE WAYNE

I AM BATMAN

Which is why I voted for Avengers, will probably wait to see the new Batman movie when it is released on DVD.

doctorvic


quality posts: 0 Private Messages doctorvic

Avengers, hands down.

Batman Begins was fantastic, my favorite Batman movie, but TDK was mediocre at best. Heath Ledger was great, but everyone else was seriously lacking. Aaron Eckhart shouting Rachel every 2 seconds got incredibly annoying, Batman's insanely low growl of a voice was awful, and I don't even need to say anything about Maggie Gyllenhaal. Saw TDK in an imax the first time and couldn't tell what was going on half the time. Saw Avengers in imax and I could follow it with ease.
Another reason why I think Avengers will do better? TDKR is the third movie in a series, and if you look at history of movies, the third movie is almost *always* the worst one. Add Anne Hathaway as Catwoman(with that terrible looking suit) and you have yourself a nice recipe for a flop. I love Nolan, so I'm hoping I'm wrong, but that's how I see it. Also, whomever was saying Joss Whedon is "a nobody", is an rebel scum and your lack of knowledge discredits anything you say.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
kanedax wrote:Avengers has an earlier release date, a wider potential audience, and weaker competition. With MIB3, Prometheus, and Snow White being its biggest contenders over the next month, it may stay in number one one until Brave hits at the end of June.



Avengers was already knocked out of first place by [ahem] Battleship. Yeah, I said Battleship.

LarryLars


quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars
RWoodward wrote:Avengers was already knocked out of first place by [ahem] Battleship. Yeah, I said Battleship.



Um, you better recheck your info source because these sites report the opposite.

avengers

avengers no.1


!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

bluemilkisback


quality posts: 2 Private Messages bluemilkisback
bobcrenshaw wrote:Marvel beats DC... always.



I was going to post the exact same comment. Now I see it is unnecessary.

bogus


quality posts: 11 Private Messages bogus

Too close to call I'd say. On the one hand, Avengers looks to be a long-term moneymaker as it's one of the few films this year that's not either Serious Business or terribad. But Dark Knight Rises is going to benefit from the trilogy climax effect just like Return of the King/Jedi did.

RWoodward


quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
LarryLars wrote:Um, you better recheck your info source because these sites report the opposite.

avengers

avengers no.1



I'm actually quite relieved to see this. I was scanning the Yahoo News headlines on Sunday and nearly lost my lunch when I read "Battleship Dethrones Avengers at the Box Office." The story has completely disappeared now, so I'm guessing someone made a dreadful mistake.