3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
NeatDesk Desktop Scanner
$249.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

lichme

quality posts: 3194 Private Messages lichme

I was once skeptical about how good this thing would work, however after seeing it in action I can say that it does really pick up individual details very well, especially for receipts.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

LarryCebula

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LarryCebula

I want a scanner that will quickly scan my boxes and boxes of photographs at a decent resolution and automagically crop them without any effort on my part beyond loading the pictures into an autofeed. Is this what I need?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Not only is this great for keeping all your records straight come tax time, but I reckon it would help you keep track of things when it comes to those pesky Mail In Rebates.

rubysoho

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rubysoho

Why must you do this to me? I was reading an article about getting organized earlier, and lamenting the fact that I can no longer use the NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner that I bought from you all years ago now that I have a Mac.

Forget that the NeatDesk is the Holy Grail of organizing for me...it had to be posted TONIGHT?! With the, "Yes, it will work with a Mac," caption? That's just rubbing salt in the wound, woot...

I'm going to go to bed and cry now.

kvrdave

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kvrdave

I have the mobile one and love it. I scan stuff about once a month and the receipts are all crinkled up, etc. They still scan fine, but I have my doubts about them being able to all be loaded in this device and coming through okay.

notanaardvark

quality posts: 4 Private Messages notanaardvark

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

I purchased the portable scanner version awhile back.

I like Neat's new version of the software (5.0) much better than previous version, its much more intuitive.

That being said I still find myself not using my Neatreceipts scanner near as much as I should...

P.S. Yes those are mostly receipts on top of the scanner, no I didn't stage this shot, this is my actual desk atm. No, I probably won't get around to scanning them before I pile up so many that I just throw them away. Yes I will regret it later when I can't find the receipt and a part fails...

matthias215

quality posts: 1 Private Messages matthias215

Does anyone know how this compares to the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300? The latter is recommended by Mac Power Users for going paperless, but I have no idea how the quality/ease-of-use/finickiness of this scanner compares. Do you have to do everything through its custom software, or does it interface with the normal OS services well?

bfloxng69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfloxng69

Poor reviews at best on Amazon. Too many flaws. Sad that woot is becoming a clearing house for Apple refurbs and crap that can't sell on amazon.

bfloxng69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfloxng69
matthias215 wrote:Does anyone know how this compares to the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300? The latter is recommended by Mac Power Users for going paperless, but I have no idea how the quality/ease-of-use/finickiness of this scanner compares. Do you have to do everything through its custom software, or does it interface with the normal OS services well?

There's a review comparison on amazon. This machine isn't up to snuff.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
bfloxng69 wrote:There's a review comparison on amazon. This machine isn't up to snuff.

Most of what I read in the past backs up this statement, though I have only had hands on experience with the portable version.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

Fujitsu ScanSnap is better, but you're not touching one for $249 even on a refurb!

ScanSnap also comes with a good level of Acrobat, unless you're on a Mac.

jbunderson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbunderson

I called Tech support and they gave me a code for the Mac version. The files won't convert, but you can start fresh.

rubysoho wrote:Why must you do this to me? I was reading an article about getting organized earlier, and lamenting the fact that I can no longer use the NeatReceipts Mobile Scanner that I bought from you all years ago now that I have a Mac.

Forget that the NeatDesk is the Holy Grail of organizing for me...it had to be posted TONIGHT?! With the, "Yes, it will work with a Mac," caption? That's just rubbing salt in the wound, woot...

I'm going to go to bed and cry now.

DoctorMusic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DoctorMusic

Has anyone ever used this to scan sheet music?

0x776F6F7421

quality posts: 5 Private Messages 0x776F6F7421

Dear Woot: I found your writeup to be disrespectful, taunting, and depressing. Also profoundly accurate in its description of folks like myself.

Now, to see if the bag from my woot shirt will go through the scanner...

SamanthaSSJ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SamanthaSSJ

I was leary too. My daughter has been using hers for about a year, so I got one at the last woot in Jan. and scanned a ton of stuff. Loved it. Then it started having problems with the quality of the scan. Long story short, I got a free replacement and I'm happy again. Really recommend it.

tanlogic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tanlogic
HughHemington wrote:Fujitsu ScanSnap is better, but you're not touching one for $249 even on a refurb!

ScanSnap also comes with a good level of Acrobat, unless you're on a Mac.

I see the ScanSnap for 259 new with Prime shipping on Amazon using the link above in the thread...is there another model number that you are talking about?

Kapil

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Kapil

Someone needs to tell me how this thing is better than a regular flatbed scanner or one of those multi-function printers that come with a scanner.

--
www.kapilville.com

wootsteroo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootsteroo

if you look at the previous woot, there was a youtube video demonstration of how quickly can scan receipts and business cards

I would jump on this if there was an update to the mac software

wootsteroo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootsteroo

Try this link. It has tutorials on it

http://www.neat.com/support/video-tutorials-and-user-guides

pkennedy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pkennedy
LarryCebula wrote:I want a scanner that will quickly scan my boxes and boxes of photographs at a decent resolution and automagically crop them without any effort on my part beyond loading the pictures into an autofeed. Is this what I need?

My wife had me order her the Pandigital PANSCN06 for her for Mothers Day and she loves it. It is for scanning pictures straight into a SD card or computer. She loves it and does tons of scrap booking. The Amazon link is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Pandigital-Photolink-One-Touch-PANSCN06-8-5-Inch/dp/B0035WTCU4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_mXHUpb0FEQZ0H_tt

And it is a lot less than the NeatDesk and has good reviews.

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude

Scansnap vs NeatDesk...

Scansnap is a much more robust and featured device... (most Scansnaps are NOT TWAIN compliant (proprietary scan engine) but. for the cost, the later versions of Neat (4.0 and 5) and Neatworks have come a long way since the earlier days of Neat...Not sure if this version comes with the PDF voodoo (importing a PDF into the neat software to be filed as well as a virtual Print to Neat printer)

In short.. if you can afford it, the Scansnap hardware is made for higher volume, higher resolution scanning and import.. the Neat solution is very good at handling mixed media (reciepts/cards/paper)..

For those who want a comparison between this and using most consumer all in ones.. Both Neat and Scansnap handle multipage and sheetfed paper better than your average all in one, some models of scansnap even going to far as to double sided scanning..

If your doing more than a page or two, or a card or two, the difference between a dedicated device and your flatbed is very significant in convenience and time savings with positioning as well as settings...

However if your scanning a lot of photos, these document scanners can have trouble feeding the glossy paper and can damage photos.. Scansnap offers a carrier envelope to run photos through there device.. (clear pouch with a backing.. Not sure how the neat does with photos.. If your scanning primarly photos, your better off with a flatbed or film scanner

fabian224

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fabian224

just heard of woot and now i just placed an order ..... will be telling ma friends to try them too cos i think it is the best

hdantman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hdantman

rubysoho -- Did you try using WINE to install your scanner? Look at this post: http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html

got2av8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages got2av8

I'd be interested to know how nicely this will play with Ubuntu...

joltdude

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joltdude
LarryCebula wrote:I want a scanner that will quickly scan my boxes and boxes of photographs at a decent resolution and automagically crop them without any effort on my part beyond loading the pictures into an autofeed. Is this what I need?

Nope
Pass..
Youll probably damage most of your photographs feeding them through this..
You need a flatbed or photo scanner..

You dont want to autofeed photos.. really..
This might work with a carrier envelope but still your not gonna get a quality photo scan out of it

mrdevinoleary

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrdevinoleary

Honestly this is not the best for photographs. It is an autofeed; there is no kind of preview, and it feeds very very quickly so often a photograph will get skewed by being fed at an angle. Plus, the NeatDesk program it comes with does not have any kind of options for retouching, white balancing, or anything you'd want.

Don't get me wrong - it will scan photographs, and do so quickly, and the resolution is not bad, but they are clearly not what this thing is made for.

bk00

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bk00

This is a pretty decent product. Essentially I just use it as a good, low-volume double-sided scanner to PDF. I don't use the OCR all that much but it seems to work reasonably well. The nice part is with one click you can change it to full color, double sided scanning with a single pass.

I use it with a Mac and the software is decent. You can file your documents into a custom folder hierarchy with metadata and you can easily print or export to PDF. I would not rely on it for budgeting (the OCR is good but not flawless) but I do use it to de-clutter my desk. Basically whenever I have a piece of paper that I *might* need and therefore don't want to throw out, I scan it, file the document somewhere and toss the original.

If you expect this to compare to business-class bulk scanner you will be disappointed. For personal or home office use it is perfectly fine, though.

DoubleDee's

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DoubleDee's

I purchased this item when it was previously offerred by Woot. I received a refurbished unit. It appeared to be complete and I installed the software that came with it and connected it to my laptop. The SAMSUNG laptop does not recognize the scanner. No scanner connected error message is returned when I try to exequte a scan. I contact NEAT and they gave me a website for the latest release of the software. Please upon NEAT advice I made sure my Windows 7 OP SYS had the latest updates. Still the scanner is not recognized. I substituted a know good cable to make thge connection to rule out a defective cable. I suspect the connector inside the scanner is defective. I am going to call NEAT again tomorrow to see what they say.

therlog

quality posts: 2 Private Messages therlog

Got one from the last woot. The hardware seems fine, but have tried it on Win 7 32-bit and 64-bit. On both computers, the software crashes as soon as the scanner completes scanning the stack of documents. Still haven't gotten successful scan #1. Info on their forums didn't work (it seems other people have the problem too). Sent info from the event log per their request but haven't had time to work with them yet since their support is only M-F and closes at 5pm pacific before I get home from work. Ugh.

pertifly

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pertifly
bfloxng69 wrote:Poor reviews at best on Amazon. Too many flaws. Sad that woot is becoming a clearing house for Apple refurbs and crap that can't sell on amazon.

You know Woot was bought by Amazon a couple years ago, right?

EmpressG

quality posts: 0 Private Messages EmpressG

I bought one and returned it replacing it with a cannon laser printer with a double sided scanning feature for about the same cost. The main reason was the software interface...it was just too slow compared to scanning with a printer directly. It zips through the machine quickly enough, but then it takes FOREVER for the software to process the pages. It is too resource intensive to use another program while it scans too. Not the holy grail I was hoping for.

eyezak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eyezak
Kapil wrote:Someone needs to tell me how this thing is better than a regular flatbed scanner or one of those multi-function printers that come with a scanner.

I was wondering about this myself. Is the power of this device in the software?
I cant seem to see how it's the scanner hardware? Neat design for it's application.

rdolph

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rdolph

Still waiting for an adjustable tray. I have many docs that do not fit the preselected feed tray. Why have the not come out with an adjustable tray option? This has been asked before by many.

jackietherussell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell

Hell's bells, I was about to press the "Want one" button but you guys have talked me out of it. Thanks for the honest reviews, Wooters!

kingkool68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingkool68

I love my old Mobile Scanner that I got here on Woot a couple years ago (My review http://www.russellheimlich.com/blog/neat-receipts-keeps-me-on-top-of-my-receipts/). I scan my receipts weekly to stay on top of them from piling up.

The 5.0 software update is awesome because you can scan a bunch of receipts at once and let them process in the background instead of waiting for each scan to complete. Would I consider getting this desktop version? Probably if my current set-up wasn't completely adequate for my needs.

rocque

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rocque

I thought this sounded good, too, but reading the reviews, I once again say..NO. Just say No to products with too many negatives. Thanks to all the those who are not afraid to share why not to buy.
I have purchased from Woot, and have been very happy with everything so far. I do use your suggestions and it has saved me a lot of grief.

Bandrik

quality posts: 79 Private Messages Bandrik

I took the plunge and picked this up last time it was on woot. Here's my thoughts on it after having used it since then:

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I already had the mobile scanner version of it, and I also have the acclaimed Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500. I will be using all three. It may seem redundant, but they each have their own strengths, and I'm more than willing to drop the money if it helps to keep me organized and de-cluttered. And so far, it does help.

Pro-tip: it appears that you can download the newest version of Neat (version 5) for FREE on their website. Just say that you were a previous user of Neat, and they take you through a couple of screens and give you a download link and a software key. Easy peasy. So if you lost your disc or didn't get one, use this.

I did have one issue, at first. When I set up my Neat database "filing cabinet", I put it on my secondary hard drive. After I spent 4 hours scanning a box of receipts, I closed the program and re-opened it later. It said that my database was corrupt and no longer able to open. What Tiny Flowers?!

Well, it looks like it "forgot" where I had put the database and looked to its default location. When it didn't find it, it freaked out and said it was "corrupt". Yet the database was just fine. So, I simply moved the entire database from my original location to where Neat defaults to and it worked fine. Not an issue since. Strange, but I'll live with it.

Overall, happy with my purchase. Thanks, Woot!