snorf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snorf
johnsodr wrote:update to the comments on the flat lens advantage while diving, GoPro just came out with a flat lens Dive houseing
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/dive-housing/

It's Only preorder right now.

snorf

allfiredup9169 wrote:Anyone know if it will work with the Suction cup mount for the gopro?

http://tinyurl.com/7tf66e9

Any also can you use it with a tripod? (Screw In)

Yes will work with all gopro accesseries. I use it with a tripod.

snorf

sco3tt wrote:Thanks, and that is disappointing. I found confirmation in the manual too -- at the end of the section about charging it says:

"Note: When charging, all controls are disabled."

One way I'm thinking of getting around this is to make a false battery that I can plug into external battery pack. Won't fit inside case though.

mtbrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtbrob

Anyone know where to get a spare battery?

Or a spare waterproof case?

Kikuichimoji

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kikuichimoji

I've really wanted an action cam like this for a long time, but I decided to use the Kodak Zi8 that I already had, attach it to my handlebars with a $3 custom PVC mount I made, and then process the video through VirtualDub with the deshaker filter. Wire the power adapter into a 12V socket, and I've got continuous recording!

Works amazingly well.

cengland0

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cengland0

Previous Woot

I bought one then and it works great. Only complaint I would have is that it's a bit grainy when using house lighting. Outdoors is wonderful.

RDAC

quality posts: 3 Private Messages RDAC
allfiredup9169 wrote:Anyone know if it will work with the Suction cup mount for the GoPro?

And also can you use it with a tripod? (Screw In)

Yes and Yes. If I remember right, it comes with a tripod mount that you can use, sans waterproof case. Otherwise, grab the $8 GoPro tripod mount.

RDAC

Kikuichimoji wrote:I've really wanted an action cam like this for a long time, but I decided to use the Kodak Zi8 that I already had, attach it to my handlebars with a $3 custom PVC mount I made, and then process the video through VirtualDub with the deshaker filter. Wire the power adapter into a 12V socket, and I've got continuous recording!

Works amazingly well.

I used the Zi8 and Zx3's before I got these for 'crash' cams. Awesome stuff.

roads63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roads63

Talked toWOOT.com They say these are NEW one in a bunch will be defective. I got one tht makes a Projector sound Live chat with Swann, DEFECTIVE. Submitted a request. had to resubmit info again, RMA sent within hours. Send back CAMERA ONLY, at your expense.they say thank you for your coperation , 4 days they recieved pkg from my confirmation with usps since it's a Holiday weekend and other coast 5 day return delayed. about 5 days has passed. and due date is like said on Holiday time. I wished I could comment on quality of company?

Quality of cam. to recieve DEFECTIVE from WOOT. tells me 50/50. Woot listened, Swann taken Action. only because Seller was knoweledgable Lol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz-Ljpfkmsk review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5OjKw2hILA sample

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jryd0qQZ6bU various light samples

My review was cut short , wanted to send back my cam before deadline of 30 days for a new one. hoping no refurbished is shipped.

If you are looking for a cam to Beat the heck out of and not care about anything go for a keycam808 #16, you want a gopro but cannot afford one this is the next best thing with the bells and whisstles WIDE angle not Fisheye

but you want to spend a 1000.00 GOpro hd hero2

turn your back, a lot of dough lost if you ask me.

the price is right I grab one for the quality of Video.

shenc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shenc

It's cheaper than Hero HD but is it as good as Hero HD or even better?

wootod

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootod

not to be a woot pooper, but, fry's, has same on sale and after rebates (one instant/ the other mail-in) ends up being $10 cheaper & free shipping. did notice though the $25 mail-in rebate form hasn't yet been added to their site but is mentioned in this weeks ad.

camera is bottom of page
http://www.frys.com/ads/page10

but if you're not into mail-ins...

somarg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages somarg
allfiredup9169 wrote:Anyone know if it will work with the Suction cup mount for the GoPro?

And also can you use it with a tripod? (Screw In)

Tripod yes, probably a yes on the gopro suction mount. I don't own that mount, but the ones included with the camera seem to be identical to pictures I have seen of the gopro mounts.

slytech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slytech

I just tested it and it does record when connected to the AC adaptor. Have not done a long term test to see how long it will continue to record this way, but it seems like it should work.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
ThunderThighs wrote:We could have gotten more, you know. This is a popular item.

Far too logical an answer,there must be a dark side somewhere.

danieloneil01

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danieloneil01

It's year 2012 and this only does 720p @ 30fps. If you're going to record action then this thing is JUNK.

Woody1

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Woody1

My comment from April 27th @ 8:00+pm EST

" I just called Swann (their CS is awesome) and even though it is after hours they answered.

I own lots of Swann Cameras and I am pretty loyal to them. Anyone that has knocked them on this forum has NEVER called them. I say that with confidence.

They have, stock and ship the batteries for this for $39.99, plus $5 shipping. They just call it the "Free Style HD Pro Extra battery". I asked if they had a specific part number and the answer was no.

How do you get one? They send you a credit card form to fill out or can take the order over the phone during normal business hours.

Battery typically lasts 3+ hours new.

Edit: Batteries are quickly swappable too"

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

thkey19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thkey19

Anybody done any underwater pics or vids? or know how it compares to the GoPro Hero2 in that arena?

TheHolyCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheHolyCobra
slytech wrote:I just tested it and it does record when connected to the AC adaptor. Have not done a long term test to see how long it will continue to record this way, but it seems like it should work.

You just beat me to it!

When hooked up to a computer via USB it will NOT record video and will go into USB read mode. But when hooked up to a USB charging source (cell phone charger, AC charger, etc.) it will record while hooked up. Can't confirm whether the battery will charge or not though while hooked up and recording.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
danieloneil01 wrote:It's year 2012 and this only does 720p @ 30fps. If you're going to record action then this thing is JUNK.

Thanks so much for the calendar update and your productive insight on today's item.

tgbtg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgbtg

.....But wait....The specs on Woot show 720p. 60 fps.....BUT the user manual shows 720p @ 30 fps...... Will it do 60 Fps????
this is a deal breaker!

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669

Bought one during the last woot off. It came to my house in 2 days flat... fastest woot shipping I've ever seen. When I saw it sitting on my door stop I had no clue what it was because I order so much crap off the net.

When I saw it was the camera I The Force bricks - so impressed by the shipping.

First impression - the camera is very awesome looking... the only thing I don't like is it is a little bigger than I expected. I was hoping to hook this onto my paintball marker to record some speedball games for fun since I play every weekend.... with that said given the size I don't think its practical now... but we will see this weekend!

nivram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nivram

Ah, too bad! Right style camcorder (action, versus the hand held family video style), but I'd rather it was a Contour brand!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jmbunkin wrote:Far too logical an answer,there must be a dark side somewhere.

Well, at least we'd have cookies then.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

iwantthewoot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iwantthewoot

It's not as important for everyone, But I freedive and 20m (swann) does not cut the mustard. Gopro2 is waterproof to 60m depth!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tgbtg wrote:.....But wait....The specs on Woot show 720p. 60 fps.....BUT the user manual shows 720p @ 30 fps...... Will it do 60 Fps????
this is a deal breaker!

The specs on the product page match our specs. I'm gonna say the specs in the manual are a typo.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

333Matt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 333Matt

Is this what I should buy for a 3-week once in a lifetime Fiji vacation? Think snorkeling, surfing, and kayaking white water. But I don't know if I'll have a helmet...

mkentosh

quality posts: 308 Private Messages mkentosh

the perfect gift for that honeymoon vacation!

ScottB1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ScottB1

I bought one last time around and Im pretty happy with it. In low light the vid is pretty grainy, but in full sun its pretty good. Here is my vid I took with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1QzlINmII

And a time lapse I took with it too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8yZ1P53i40

nnssandman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnssandman

I bought the GoPro HD Hero 2. While more expensive, it is superior in every way.

jojackso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jojackso

I think the most impressive stat is the 1 megawatt laser in 1) such a small package, and 2) for so cheap! Never has world domination been so available to the masses. Either that or Woot! won't be landing rovers on mars anytime soon.

outdoorslife

quality posts: 8 Private Messages outdoorslife
333Matt wrote:Is this what I should buy for a 3-week once in a lifetime Fiji vacation? Think snorkeling, surfing, and kayaking white water. But I don't know if I'll have a helmet...

Uh NO. Get the Go Pro HD 2. Once in a lifetime, don't cheap out on the camera, not like you can go back and re-ride the rapid or the trail or what not.

There is a video on youtube showing all three in still and action. Spend some time on that video comparing so you can make the best informed decision for yourself.

good luck ,and I am certainly jealous of your fiji trip - need a porter??

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal
djenkins1982 wrote:If I did anything interesting this could be fun... but I don't think people want video of a dude sitting at his computer playing Diablo 3 or Battlefield.

You never know. There's a TV show about fixing up old hotels. There could be a reality show about you and people would watch it.

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

Sobedatsun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sobedatsun

Come on Swann, Where are the Neccessories?! Although the FreeStyle will work with GoPro mounts it would be super helpful if you could at least get a spare battery pack!

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish

Does the detachable LCD screen fit on the camera while in the waterproof case? How does this work for scubadiving? Does it need underwater lights?

ArtWorksMetal

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ArtWorksMetal

Not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm in for one. Maybe start a head-cam cooking show.
It'll beat walking around with my tablet trying to take video.

Asceticism is for those that can't afford Hedonism.

pennyfromheaven

quality posts: 11 Private Messages pennyfromheaven

My son has one of these, great for watching him ride 153 MPH on his motorcycle and for him to post on youtube.(NOT) I'm surprised it doesn't fly off his helmet.

bgmattc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgmattc

It's an "action cam" of course it's grainy indoors.
It's an "action cam" of course it's disable when charging.

bremern

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bremern

I just used this camera to record a Tough Mudder event I was in. Easy to use, great videos. Check them out here.

My only complaint is that when it's in the waterproof case, it doesn't pick up sound very well.

RDAC

queenangelfish wrote:Does the detachable LCD screen fit on the camera while in the waterproof case? How does this work for scubadiving? Does it need underwater lights?

Screen does not fit inside of case. It probably works just fine if you don't go beyond 20 meters. There's some pool video on the Swann youtube channel if you want to check it out.

Lighting is up to you and your environment, but I'd probably say yes, you need a dive light.

rickfane

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickfane
sco3tt wrote:I'm thinking of using this for timelapse recording a 12-hour road trip, but the 2.5 hrs of battery life is a deal-killer unless it can be externally powered.

The manual says it can be charged via USB. Do any of you owners know if it can also record while charging? And would the charging keep ahead of the discharge over 12 hours? According to the manual it takes 3.5-4 hours to charge the battery but only 2.5 to drain it.

I just tried it with mine - connected to a computer by USB the controls are disabled. Connected to the charger everything works. So you should be good to go with a power inverter or and USB power adapter.