czardastx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages czardastx

I get the idea that Fen is going to buy the RAM. I think that might help solve the problem.
Or at least alleviate it some.

I've used 4allmemory.com before. They have good prices and I've been satisfied with
what I've bought from them. And with their service.

The secret to a happy marriage is to split everything 50/50. My wife gets the big half and I get the little half. - Chief Buffalo Nickel

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
killingtime wrote:How much is the RAM, btw...?

$30-$40 for 512

Still single, can't imagine why.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
FenStar wrote:$30-$40 for 512

O.

FenStar

I don't know, it's a hard decision, but I don't want to have to mess with it, and ultimately I don't need the extra processor speed.

killingtime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages killingtime
FenStar wrote:I don't know, it's a hard decision, but I don't want to have to mess with it, and ultimately I don't need the extra processor speed.

You are only thinking of today and not tomorrow, though...

My husband is blazing with his duo-core desktop (he's a gamer) and I have a single and I am puttering a long. Opening multiple programs takes time. I cannot upgrade too much more. I wish I had done it to begin with.

If I were in your shoes, I would call up dell and say that you received your laptop and you didn't expect it to have performance issues from the start and the base 512K that they offered with the model is simply not enough to run Windows Vista adequately and had you known this, you would have bought the new computer - explain which one it is with the duo-core and additional memory. Ask them if you can do an exchange for the new without the difference in cost. And if they say, "no" then tell them that they will be receiving an RMA on the refurb (rox0rz!) model you have and that you will purchase elsewhere.

If they say there is like a $50 difference, just do it because that would be the cost of a stick of memory.

Just try it, Fen...

Or have you tried coupons from ebay? You do a "buy it now" and you get an email instantaneously with a code. You go to the Dell site and apply the code to your order. I have bought coupons between 99 cents to $2.99 and it has saved me like $50-150!

zea3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zea3

Fen,
There is a lot of information on Windows Vista and other computer issues on this site .

If you want to edit videos and play games, you need a dual core processor. Otherwise single core should be fine. Windows Vista basic requires a minimum of 512k of RAM, but it is super slow at that level and this site recommends at least 1 gig of RAM, 2 gig if you use Vista premium. They also talk about a feature of Vista that allows you to use a flash drive to enhance the computer's virtual memory.

Uncorked

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Uncorked
zea3 wrote:Fen,
There is a lot of information on Windows Vista and other computer issues on this site .

If you want to edit videos and play games, you need a dual core processor. Otherwise single core should be fine. Windows Vista basic requires a minimum of 512k of RAM, but it is super slow at that level and this site recommends at least 1 gig of RAM, 2 gig if you use Vista premium. They also talk about a feature of Vista that allows you to use a flash drive to enhance the computer's virtual memory.

My big beef with my current laptop is shared video ram....Costs too much right now to buy something different and I can't justify it for my petty needs.
I want all the bells & whistles built in, not add-on cards or usb or whatever...

Domestic Zymologist since 1980

FenStar

zea3 wrote:Fen,

My single core has always worked fine for games.

FenStar

FilePlanet wrote:The FilePlanet Queue System

Wondering why you have to wait in line for the free downloads? See below.

What's this "Queue" thing?
The server you're trying to download a file from is already filled with people downloading. Since we can only serve so many files at once, it's first-come, first-served for the free, public downloads. Be patient and you'll eventually move to the front of the line to begin your download!

Why do you make people wait in line?
There are millions of people downloading gaming files on the Internet and only so many servers available for them to download from. In the past when you tried to get a file from a full server you'd usually get an ugly error message (it would tell you "page not found" even though your file was there), and in order to actually get your file you'd have to keep clicking on the link in the hopes of being one of the lucky people to get on as soon as a spot freed up.

FilePlanet did away with all of that! Instead of getting an error message, everyone is placed in a line once that server's user limit is hit. So if a server can handle 600 people at once, the 601st person is put in line.

Files are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis off of the public servers. You'll be able to see where you are in line and how soon it will be before you can start downloading your file. The queuing system eliminates much of the hassle associated with getting gaming files.

So you're telling me all these people are waiting to download THIS file?
No. The line is for ALL files on that server. Not just the one you're waiting for.

I hate waiting! Is there a way I could skip the line?
Yes! Subscribe to FilePlanet and you can skip the lines, download faster, and turn off advertisements. Never download from a "Public" server again.

Why not increase the available connections?
Increasing the number of connections on public servers will not make it any easier to get files -- it just means everyone gets the files a lot slower. In fact, it doesn't even shorten the wait, since everyone in front will take longer to download. Instead, we limit our public servers to a certain number of simultaneous connections to assure everyone gets a fast download, especially for broadband users.

Can I browse in other windows while waiting?
Yes. We suggest browsing the GameSpy.com Daily Victim archive or poking around the forums while you're waiting.

Can you create an express lane for small files?
No. The lines are for ALL files on a server. We can't create lines for specific files.

Can I resume downloads with a download manager?
Yes. But you will need to resume your download within 24 hours of starting it or you'll have to wait in line again.

Can I download more than one file at a time?
Yes. Just open another window with your web browser and surf/download as normal.

I understand this website needs to make money, and creating a wait time for free users is acceptable I guess, but just say that is the reason instead of making extremely transparent excuses. At the very least don't explain it, but to think that I would fall for thins when you are practically telling me you create waiting times is insulting.

qwertyuiop002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop002
FenStar wrote:I understand this website needs to make money, and creating a wait time for free users is acceptable I guess, but just say that is the reason instead of making extremely transparent excuses. At the very least don't explain it, but to think that I would fall for thins when you are practically telling me you create waiting times is insulting.

The text you quoted sort of suggests that the wait times are more directly a function of limited server resources rather than a set wait time that is explicitly programmed. As you say, ultimately a function of money, but possibly not as directly as you suggest.

FenStar

qwertyuiop002 wrote:The text you quoted sort of suggests that the wait times are more directly a function of limited server resources rather than a set wait time that is explicitly programmed. As you say, ultimately a function of money, but possibly not as directly as you suggest.

Why not increase the available connections?
Increasing the number of connections on public servers will not make it any easier to get files -- it just means everyone gets the files a lot slower. In fact, it doesn't even shorten the wait, since everyone in front will take longer to download. Instead, we limit our public servers to a certain number of simultaneous connections to assure everyone gets a fast download, especially for broadband users.

They limit the number of connections thereby wasting bandwidth.

qwertyuiop002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop002
FenStar wrote:Why not increase the available connections?

They limit the number of connections thereby wasting bandwidth.

Their text implies that their connection bandwidth is more than sufficient for the capacity that their free servers can handle. They say that their free speed is server limited, not connection limited. I infer that they don't appear to dial in a delay time for the free users, which is what I think you were saying in your previous post.

FenStar

qwerty PM

FenStar

I went to get a newspaper to get a cupon for FREE CACAO RESERVE by Hershey's and when leaving I was backing up, mostly out when someone came along and stoped right behind me so I could barely finish backing out, and I was backing out B4 they even entered the lane/isle thing.

So then I went to Target to get diet Dr. Pepper for $.50 and put them in a basket to check out. When I gout up to the register I sat the basket on the conveyor belt (no reason to pick them up to put them on the belt as she was going to have to pick them up to put them in the bags anyways) and the lady just stood there looking at me. Finally she said "are you going to take those out of the basket?" Girrr!

Then I got into my car and started backing out, and was about halfway out, when I noticed the person two cars down was about to pull out, but seeing as I was already pulling out I went first. They continued pulling out and almost hit me, then had the nerve to beep at me!

I'm of to wallgreens to get an extra $ off my free chocolate, who knows what will happen there...

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Bah! It's just no fun around here anymore. Lately, what passes off as fun is being put on probation. Repeatedly. Is that what it's come to?

Oooo, look...the photoshop contest is up to three pages!

"Ha, ha...nice whine!"

Not really.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mwiseman wrote:Bah! It's just no fun around here anymore. Lately, what passes off as fun is being put on probation. Repeatedly. Is that what it's come to?

"Ha, ha...nice whine!"

Not really.

really, only three? dear me.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
mwiseman wrote:Bah! It's just no fun around here anymore. Lately, what passes off as fun is being put on probation. Repeatedly. Is that what it's come to?

"Ha, ha...nice whine!"

Not really.

I think photoshop has gone downhill because so many of the choppers are working on T-shirts.

And I can't figure out whether you think it's not fun (passes off as) or whether you think it shouldn't be probated.

When I was a kid I wanted to be older, this CRAP is NOT what I expected.

FenStar

Stupid scroll thing in the sig line.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Boot of Coal on XMAS... and me without my access.

Major Grumbly Grumble!

pooflady

SkekTek wrote:Breaking Old Corruptions on XMAS... and me without my access.

Major Grumbly Grumble!

Should have told you, this is at least the third year in a row that there's been one on Christmas.

SkekTek

pooflady wrote:Should have told you, this is at least the third year in a row that there's been one on Christmas.

Wasn't a wooter last XMAS... but, now I know two Bee Oh Cee dates... judging by the sellout at 12:01.15, I probably wouldn't have gotten one anyways...

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226
SkekTek wrote:Wasn't a wooter last XMAS... but, now I know two Bee Oh Cee dates... judging by the sellout at 12:01.15, I probably wouldn't have gotten one anyways...

I suspected the Christmas surprise, but I just can't stay up until 1:00 AM east coast time any more.

But I was able to score three random calendars.

SkekTek

kenney9226 wrote:I suspected the Christmas surprise, but I just can't stay up until 1:00 AM east coast time any more.

But I was able to score three random calendars.

My three supposedly shipped via SlowPost today. I should get it by the 17th of Jan then...

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

//waaaa

Derbists complaining about only getting X number of votes for their designs... and X is about 10X what I get!

peglegwookie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peglegwookie

Man, I wish I could have a nice dinner every night.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
peglegwookie wrote:Man, I wish I could have a nice dinner every night.

Ewok. It's what's for dinner.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

no1 wrote://waaaa

Derbists complaining about only getting X number of votes for their designs... and X is about 10X what I get!

//smack

Pull it together! Be a man!

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

peglegwookie

daj59 wrote://smack

Pull it together! Be a man!

I am so sick of Daj and her smacking *runs and hides*

SkekTek

peglegwookie wrote:I am so sick of Daj and her smacking *runs and hides*

//FISHSLAP

mwiseman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwiseman

Dang, you people should call first...this place is a mess.
Pizza roll, anyone?

SkekTek

mwiseman wrote:Dang, you people should call first...this place is a mess.
Pizza roll, anyone?

Got any taquitos?

pooflady

It's raining. It's been raining since I got up. I have to go out in a little while. I don't want to get wet.

peglegwookie

I have gas, I don't like it.

pooflady

peglegwookie wrote:I have gas, I don't like it.

I'll bet those around you don't like it either.

edlada

quality posts: 3 Private Messages edlada
pooflady wrote:I'll bet those around you don't like it either.

My eyes are watering just thinking about it! That qualifies as a whine dosen't it?
BTW Poof, sorry to hear about your mom, and then you sure got some nice weather while you were there. I hope she recovers as well as possible.

My dogs like me, that is important.

pooflady

edlada wrote:My eyes are watering just thinking about it! That qualifies as a whine dosen't it?
BTW Poof, sorry to hear about your mom, and then you sure got some nice weather while you were there. I hope she recovers as well as possible.

Thank you.

pooflady

pooflady wrote:Thank you.

BTW, the Grapepickers went to state last week but lost in the semifinals.

FenStar

I couldn't post for 30 hours!

pooflady

FenStar wrote: I couldn't post for 30 hours!

There, there.

FenStar

pooflady wrote:There, there.

On top of that, no one was on AIM! D'name came on for like 60 seconds, then said she was switching names and logged off!

Edit: where is she now?