dwasifar

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dwasifar

Hello, Wooters.

On February 13 of this year, the Woot was the America Stories of War DVD collection. I bought one for my father's birthday (March 2), and in the community comments (http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4846330) I posted this:

> In for one. My dad's birthday is coming up. He'll be 92, was
> in the Marines in WWII, and was probably in some of the battles
> in those documentaries. Everyone say Happy Birthday to him, and
> I'll pass it along.

An amazing number of Wooters responded with heartfelt birthday wishes for my dad, thanking him for his service and sharing some of their stories. A few weeks later, he received his present: not only the DVDs, but a printout of all the birthday wishes from Wooters. He liked the DVDs okay, but he was touched and overjoyed - almost beyond his ability to express - by the birthday messages, amazed that strangers around the world could hear about his birthday through the internet and send him well-wishes and thanks for his service. He cherished those pages, and every time I visited him I saw they were more dog-eared than the last time.

As it turned out, that was his final birthday present. My father died last week at the age of 92, quietly and in the company of friends.

All of you who sent those messages should hear how much your good wishes meant to an old Marine in the twilight of his life. So, to the people who posted the birthday messages in the comments thread, my deepest thanks for making him so happy.

I hope everyone who posted those messages gets a chance to see this. The usernames in the thread were:

wisenekt
ThunderThighs
ccmacy
therealjrn
vince808
ericleer
lilgreenfish
mnshopper
ivanivanovich
mjc613
amemait
McFortner
cop704
Swater49
jackrn1
jani5
ontheborder
halnwheels
susijane
rocque
momtr
iwantamonkey
radi0j0hn
msalzer
barbie2216

Again, thank you all.

Jon "dwasifar"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Thank you for sharing this. It brought a tear to my eyes and made me think of my dad and grandfather, both gone.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby

I wanted to add my condolences. I'm glad our community could be part of celebrating his life and I thank you for coming back to share this with us.

I'd offer him a salute, but I know how much Marines dislike civilians doing that. Instead, I'll offer the man my thanks for his service.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Raider9924

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raider9924

It's stories like these that make Woot special.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

tbgolladay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbgolladay

My condolences. Thank you for sharing this story.

SGRman05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SGRman05

As we say in the Army -- Hooah! That'd be Oorah for the Marines.

My condolences for your father.
It seems that he really cherished those well wishes from fellow wooters. I am sorry that I missed the story the first time around.

May you find a calming peace in this time.

pitamuffin

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pitamuffin

What a touching and heart-warming story. Thank you for sharing, especially during what must be a most difficult time. My thoughts are with you and your family.

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

dwasifar, I shared this today with my husband, who is also a 30 year service member. This put a lump in our throats. We've sung "Eternal Father" too many times while saying "good bye" to The Greatest Generation and their sons & daughters.

It is wonderful to know the woot community and the company itself is so amazing to help give your Dad heartfelt birthday greetings. I regret not being able to pass along my own wishes for a happy day and to thank him for ensuring that the rest of us have our own happy days due to his unselfish service.

To your father's memory my husband & I say Semper Fi, Marine. Rest easy with your Brothers in Arms. You stand relieved. We have the Watch. And thank you. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.
La V.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

joshobra

quality posts: 38 Private Messages joshobra

My sincere condolences and prayers to your father and family. I've also lost my Grandmother earlier this year..

Thank you for sharing this very heart-warming story, I'm tearing up right now. I don't know what else to say, I'm just in shock and awe.

Great job everyone from Woot!!

I'm sure he's watching upon us right now in delight as we are reading this thread.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

silo11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silo11

yes thank you for sharing. It puts in perspective how important it is to celebrate life, friends, and especially family.

Our condolences to you and your family. I thank God for true heroes like your father.