wkhill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wkhill

I am a bit confused. Is it a cyber-heater? Just asking is all.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
ThorsHammer wrote:.....it has come to pass....a fan/heater without a remote is like a car with roll up windows.

I think you meant side curtains.

rheatoomuch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rheatoomuch

does anyone know if this will work outdoors effectively to heat a small patio area?

zizzybaloobah

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zizzybaloobah

I bought one of these during a woot-off a month or two ago. I'm normally a fan of using oil-filled radiators, but sometimes you need something with more immediate results.

This heater does an adequate job in our downstairs rooms which have 12 foot ceilings (about 120 sq ft). Our Thanksgiving guests used it in our guest bedroom which has 9ft ceilings and they had no complaints.

rickbaron

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rickbaron

Regardless, I love the heater and use it in my garage. It is quiet and runs well on cold Wisconsin nights.
I would buy another 3 if it was $39.99 or less.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
DennisG2010 wrote:
What's the difference between a Cash Grab and a Woot Off?

They have too many of these items. The progress bar would barely move and it wouldn't make people impulse buy thinking they were about to miss out on a good deal. If the bar only moves 2 percent in 4 hours, you're not going to feel like you're missing out.

I still don't understand why they don't just list all the items in a plus deal if they're so desperate to grab cash.

tccontender

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tccontender

Does anyone know if this unit can be used as a fan as well as a heater? Seems like a logical design addition, the ability to turn off the heater in the summer, but still circulate air.

Any help would get me off the fence on a couple.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

Ever kick yourself for leaving a light on or yell at your kids for leaving lights on? That's nothing! This heater set on high uses the equivalent of 30 50-watt bulbs. or 15 50-watt bulbs on low. Electricity is the most inefficient way to heat.

Bill

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

This is a glorified hair dryer just like every other electric heater that uses hot coils, and the fancy infrared type too.
Watts is watts.
This heater is 1500 watts. Any other 1500w heater will produce as much heat as this one. The only thing not mentioned is the wattage of the fan, but that shouldn't be significant.

If this heater works well to heat your basement then any other 1500 watt heater will work well too, unless it's unreliable

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234
billthegunowner wrote:Ever kick yourself for leaving a light on or yell at your kids for leaving lights on? That's nothing! This heater set on high uses the equivalent of 30 50-watt bulbs. or 15 50-watt bulbs on low. Electricity is the most inefficient way to heat.

Yup, the only way to get efficient with electric heating are high efficiency heat pumps.

comcruiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages comcruiser

This is cyber Monday and our Woot is a space heater?! Wow, what's next a bag of potatoes or maybe a snappy batch of pencils?

buggsy2

quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2

Got two of these the last time they were on Woot! They're pretty good, I use one in the garage to take the chill off the air when working there. These don't move a lot of air like the unheated Vornado fans; they very quietly and gently move a little heated air. As they say, there are no glowing wires, no high temps, very safe with the automatic shutoff if they tip over. They could heat a small room, or take the chill off a larger room.

buggsy2

quality posts: 8 Private Messages buggsy2
tccontender wrote:Does anyone know if this unit can be used as a fan as well as a heater?

I can't remember if they have a fan-only switch. Even if they did, the fan is very low-powered, unlike the normal unheated Vornadoes.

garylehr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garylehr
jefsmom wrote:Anyone know if this blows circuit breakers? We have a small space heater but can't use it where we need to because it blows a fuse.

We were running 3 portable heaters, one of them a Vornado, on 220V lines and the circuits did blow, running them on low 750 V solved the problem

kusmertz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kusmertz
comcruiser wrote:This is cyber Monday and our Woot is a space heater?! Wow, what's next a bag of potatoes or maybe a snappy batch of pencils?

Hmm, a giant bag of potatoes would actually be kinda nice in my home. That, rice, and pickles.

grocery.woot.com

mount986

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mount986
garylehr wrote:We were running 3 portable heaters, one of them a Vornado, on 220V lines and the circuits did blow, running them on low 750 V solved the problem

I used to have a Vornado (I don't have it in front of me so not sure if it was this model, but it looked just like the picture). We used it to heat a drafty old apartment, and it regularly tripped the breaker if I tried to use it in our living room, where we already had a television, VCR, DVD, and a couple of game consoles. It worked okay in my bedroom though.

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

I got the VTH on Woot for $39.99 earlier this month. I don't know about this model.

It works great, am using it now.

Regarding the people who complain about it's heat output-check the settings and let it run a while. It will warm your room up, quietly.

My dealings with Vornado have always been fair. I sent a 12 year old fan in for repair and it costs about $20 to fix. It will be as good as new when I get it back.

And they're an American company.

sunny441

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sunny441
rickbaron wrote:Regardless, I love the heater and use it in my garage. It is quiet and runs well on cold Wisconsin nights.
I would buy another 3 if it was $39.99 or less.

If it is good for Wisconsin, then it is good enough for Minnesota.

In for one!

CycleOrange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CycleOrange
ReginaFilangee wrote:Near as I can tell, it's only the flashing yellow lights. And semantics.

Seems pretty obvious to me based on description. Cash grab they sell something until it sells out (can take most of the day)... Woot-off the item changes when EITHER the yellow bar runs out OR it sells out (way more items)

ReginaFilangee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
CycleOrange wrote:Seems pretty obvious to me based on description. Cash grab they sell something until it sells out (can take most of the day)... Woot-off the item changes when EITHER the yellow bar runs out OR it sells out (way more items)

The yellow bar running out IS when it sells out. (Read the description of "what is a woot-off?) Same thing. I think the poster earlier hit on it---they have too many to put into a woot-off (the yellow bar would move much too slowly and people would lose interest), but they don't want to have to wait til midnight to put the next item up, so they can at least sell something in what would normally be downtime space.

May the Crap be with you all!!!