22%
24%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Coby 46" 1080p 3D LED HDTV
$429.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

acraigl

quality posts: 56 Private Messages acraigl

Do. Not. Want.

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

BIRDIES!

that was fun while it lasted!

mike11212

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mike11212

If I trusted the brand i would be all over this.

I woot you

funkintelecky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages funkintelecky

I take it this "cash grab" is just a slow-ass woot off without the hope of Big ol' Cornucopia

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

I wonder if "bra1" is a bot. he or she bought three.

that was fun while it lasted!

Dutchhater

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dutchhater
mike11212 wrote:If I trusted the brand i would be all over this.

This is actually a pretty good deal. There are only three manufacturers that make panels this size: Sharp, LG and Samsung so you're getting a top tier panel with a crappy name brand on the front.

philmoorebrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philmoorebrown

If it's good enough for KMart to sell, then it's good enough for me!

jk7777

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jk7777

I took a chance on a Coby 19" LCD earlier this year. Figured I would take a chance for a hundred bucks. It died, won't power on, 95 days into a 90 day warranty.

Buyer beware on big $$$ off-brand purchases... No chance I would buy Coby again.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

funkintelecky wrote:I take it this "cash grab" is just a slow-ass woot off without the hope of Big ol' Cornucopia

somebody's feeling festive!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
jk7777 wrote:I took a chance on a Coby 19" LCD earlier this year. Figured I would take a chance for a hundred bucks. It died, won't power on, 95 days into a 90 day warranty.

Buyer beware on big $$$ off-brand purchases... No chance I would buy Coby again.

Thanks!!!

I was kind of thinking.......?
Never heard of the brand but was wondering........., maybe.....?

Then I read your post and said, NO.

You may have well saved me a few bucks.

Thanks

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom

Geez - wish I could buy three, too! Anyway, seems like a fairly good deal. If I was really in the market for a 3D TV, I'd go for it. Still, don't like the 120Hz refresh rate. I want a minimum of 240Hz for a 3D TV, but would prefer higher than 400Hz.

I hope Woot has a Cash Grab on 12/26 when I have Christmas money to spend...

eastcobbler

quality posts: 9 Private Messages eastcobbler

Minus the cost of 3D i think id be into this.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
funkintelecky wrote:I take it this "cash grab" is just a slow-ass woot off without the hope of Big ol' Cornucopia

We are talking real Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I have been waiting all day for the Altec Lansing ear plugs, the golf club and the darn toaster to go and I now feel the three will outlive me and possibly my grandchildren.

Now tomorrow, I will be away from a computer almost all day so I am sure there will be a Woot off then.

OH, did I mention lamps? geesh, that too. So, so boring. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ninjaface

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ninjaface

The brand name "Coby" was a marketing decision for this electronics company. They chose that name because it is similar to Sony. I've known people that actually bought a Coby product because they didn't pay attention and thought it was Sony.

That is exactly the type of person they are marketing toward. Those that don't pay attention. I used to work in retail and I've seen countless crappy products put out by this brand. Avoid Coby.

hurd05

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hurd05

I'm looking for a 179 degree viewing angle, so I'm gonna pass.

ssiemonsma

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ssiemonsma
usanettom wrote:Geez - wish I could buy three, too! Anyway, seems like a fairly good deal. If I was really in the market for a 3D TV, I'd go for it. Still, don't like the 120Hz refresh rate. I want a minimum of 240Hz for a 3D TV, but would prefer higher than 400Hz.

I hope Woot has a Cash Grab on 12/26 when I have Christmas money to spend...

Then get a plasma or something . . . (they're 600 Hz)
Really, what use could someone have for a 480 Hz refresh rate? I have the feeling you fell for marketing hype, hard.

captaincrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captaincrunk

Anyone know if you need active 3d glasses for this? Also anyone know if it's edge lit led or full array?

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Coby 46" 1080p 3D LED HDTV
$429.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Wootalyzer is here, so I figure it MUST be comparable enough to a woot-off to justify intermittent pricing posts.

captaincrunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captaincrunk

I found out it's edge lit. Still not sure on the glasses, I'd prefer the kind that doesn't need batteries. It seems this tv might require them.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

Well...why not try one!? It Must be better than a 15 year old 32" Tube TV!
And my niece will be Thrilled on Christmas morning!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

Dutchhater

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dutchhater
ninjaface wrote:The brand name "Coby" was a marketing decision for this electronics company. They chose that name because it is similar to Sony. I've known people that actually bought a Coby product because they didn't pay attention and thought it was Sony.

That is exactly the type of person they are marketing toward. Those that don't pay attention. I used to work in retail and I've seen countless crappy products put out by this brand. Avoid Coby.

Seems you are incorrect about the origination of the name: "Coby was founded by Young Dong Lee who owns 100 percent of its capital stock. Its name comes from deleting the "w" and second "o" in Cowboy. Lee originally owned an electronics wholesaler called Cowboy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coby_Electronics_Corporation

It's crazy to say that someone would spend hundreds of dollars because they mistook "Coby" for "Sony"

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
bpr2 wrote:I wonder if "bra1" is a bot. he or she bought three.

It's odd; those purchases disappeared, so maybe it was a bot? I don't think I've seen that happen before.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

usanettom

quality posts: 11 Private Messages usanettom
ssiemonsma wrote:Then get a plasma or something . . . (they're 600 Hz)
Really, what use could someone have for a 480 Hz refresh rate? I have the feeling you fell for marketing hype, hard.

LOL Refresh rate is not marketing hype. I have a 240Hz and a 60Hz at home. The difference is very noticeable. With 3D, it is even more noticeable. Compare them side-by-side, then get back to me.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
Dutchhater wrote:There are only three manufacturers that make panels this size: Sharp, LG and Samsung so you're getting a top tier panel with a crappy name brand on the front.

And where do you think factory rejects from those 3 makers wind up?

ninjaface

Dutchhater wrote:
It's crazy to say that someone would spend hundreds of dollars because they mistook "Coby" for "Sony"

It's not crazy. It is what happened. The person literally said, "I thought it was Sony". And even your Wikipedia link mentions the similarity between the logos.

At best the brand name is a happy accident for them. Bottom line: the products they put out are crap.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
ninjaface wrote:The person literally said, "I thought it was Sony".

The brand name is a happy accident for them and the products they put out are crap.

Complete and utter reading comprehension fail. If Sony thought that Coby was stealing sales from them because of the "similarity" in names, Coby would have been sued out of existence long ago.

jdwonline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdwonline

come on woot! We wouldn't by a Coby Television for 100 bucks. $400 might as well be $1 million.

ninjaface

StanleyS wrote:Complete and utter reading comprehension fail. If Sony thought that Coby was stealing sales from them because of the "similarity" in names, Coby would have been sued out of existence long ago.

Neither here nor there. The products are no good.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
Moueska wrote:Wootalyzer is here, so I figure it MUST be comparable enough to a woot-off to justify intermittent pricing posts.

This is a little awkward :\

Wootalyzer is always here...always watching.

Goahead and checkitout sometime.

plasticpopcorn4

quality posts: 5 Private Messages plasticpopcorn4

this is what happens when they dont call a woot off a woot off

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
CowboyDann wrote:This is a little awkward :\

Wootalyzer is always here...always watching.

Goahead and checkitout sometime.

XD I'm mostly on Home.woot, and he doesn't follow me over there. ;D But I know you're EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME.

xxsamanthalxx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xxsamanthalxx
captaincrunk wrote:I found out it's edge lit. Still not sure on the glasses, I'd prefer the kind that doesn't need batteries. It seems this tv might require them.

It is "active" which means the glasses need batteries.

"Passive" is the type that does not need batteries.

Deucer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Deucer

Good deal. I've been in the TV market for a while and ended up with an off brand refurb 46" for 350. New with 3D is worth the extra $80.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
ssiemonsma wrote:Then get a plasma or something . . . (they're 600 Hz)

Plasma 600Hz is not comparable to LCD 60/120/240/480Hz. Not the same thing at all.

Still, prefer plasma.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
captaincrunk wrote:I found out it's edge lit. Still not sure on the glasses, I'd prefer the kind that doesn't need batteries. It seems this tv might require them.

LOL. Most LED TVs are edgelit. Edgelit is low-end. I doubt Coby will EVER build anything else.

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69

It's active, and requires the batteries. But that is what you want, active is far better than passive. Passive works by having alternating strips of polarized material, to match the left/right polarization of the glasses. That cuts your resolution in half for 3D, and reduces the brightness even in 2D. Not exactly desirable.

Just order $10 or $20 worth of the batteries from the net, they'll last fine. And if the Samsung glasses will work, they're only $18 from Amazon now for extra sets.

populuxe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages populuxe

In some households, COBY is much more common than SONY. Sad fact, but true. But I don't think SONY makes a meat thermometer with remote probe that also runs an mp3 player...

kmeltzer

quality posts: 32 Private Messages kmeltzer

Slowest. Woot-off. Ever.