3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
First Alert 8 Camera DVR Security System
$299.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

pkokkinis

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pkokkinis

Hang on...how can specs on cameras say CCD and CMOS? I always thought it was one or another with the latter being the inferior technology. Anyone?

[MOD: CMOS. The reference to CCD has been removed. Thanks!]

bluejester

quality posts: 560 Private Messages bluejester

Every time I see these camera systems pop up, I worry that paranoia is huge problem in the woot-sphere.

ScousePete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScousePete

Wired cameras? How 20th century

hpfa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hpfa
ScousePete wrote:Wired cameras? How 20th century

Wireless would be nice, but you still have to run the power to the camera, and the wireless connection never seems to stay up without occasional fiddling. As long as you run the power, might as well include the ethernet cable and be done with it.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I feel like I'm being watched.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

A video of it spinning around, if that's what you're into...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNhG5gEQu58

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

cobergas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobergas

Are you able to remotely view your system? Where are the apps for this?

http://gasm.blogspot.com

readymade

quality posts: 19 Private Messages readymade

Hmmm....I've bought so much stuff on Woot lately that maybe I need these security camera's so I can watch over my ever growing Woot empire.

I got something better than luck.

Bucuresci

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Bucuresci

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't seem capabale to find on my own if images are colored or black & white & 50 shades of gray?

bloodycattle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bloodycattle
hpfa wrote:Wireless would be nice, but you still have to run the power to the camera, and the wireless connection never seems to stay up without occasional fiddling. As long as you run the power, might as well include the ethernet cable and be done with it.

Not in every case. There are plenty of 'older' houses that don't have data jacks on every wall of every room. So for them, the presence of power doesn't always mean the presence of internet. I put up a wired version in my house and was always bothered by the maze of RCAs & Ethernets. When I do it again, it will be wireless.

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh
pkokkinis wrote:Hang on...how can specs on cameras say CCD and CMOS? I always thought it was one or another with the latter being the inferior technology. Anyone?

I thought the same thing.
Also, is this a 1/4 or 1/3 sensor?

warnerucsc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages warnerucsc

Notice how the specs do NOT say that the focus of the cameras is adjustable? My cameras came set to some random distance and there's no way 'round that. I tried the system briefly with a real camera with a good lens and a focus knob and that actually produces a good image. But these cameras, not so much . . .

rmarz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmarz

The features suggest PTV functionality, and although the DVR will support it, I think these are fixed position, fixed focus standard analog cameras that are included,

fireboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fireboss

Is The Video Format Windows Compatible So Video Can Be Clipped And Edited ????
I Have A Paranormal Research Group And If It Is , This Would Work Great For Evidence Reviewing And Sharing....

airman2482

quality posts: 0 Private Messages airman2482
ScousePete wrote:Wired cameras? How 20th century

Yes you're right!

Use WiFi on the net so I can watch your cameras too!

DerWeissFlugenWurst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DerWeissFlugenWurst

Beware: Many inexpensive Security DVR will NOT allow you to record what you’re seeing on the screen.

Normal TV viewing 720x480 with 30fps = D1. ½ that quality is HD1, ¼ that quality is CIF, 1/8 that quality is QCIF. So nice real time video recording = all D1. NO D1 on all channels = your recording playback will look like a bad stop action grainy video of Bart Simpson at the Quickie Mart.
This unit might allow 1 or 2 cameras to record D1. The rest, you won’t be able to tell the burglar from the hamburglar.

From this unit’s user’s manual:
Channels 1 & 2 allows options D1, HD1, CIF and QCIF.;
Channels 3-8: allow settings of CIF and QCIF.

keithanthonyrobinson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages keithanthonyrobinson

Can this system use different cameras?

Cate5 ready?

Maggsnfamy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Maggsnfamy

Glad I read the reviews before I wooted. Sounds horrible.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Will this let me finally catch Santa this year?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pkokkinis wrote:Hang on...how can specs on cameras say CCD and CMOS? I always thought it was one or another with the latter being the inferior technology. Anyone?

Sorry about the confusion. It is CMOS. The reference to CCD has been removed. Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

DigitalFoobar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DigitalFoobar

If anyone is interested in wireless IP cams, I've had goodluck with "Foscam".

You can configure you're router to allow remote connections, viewable on mobile phones including iOS, and probably the best feature is its alarm setting, which will take 4-5 pictures when it detects motion. The images can be sent directly to email or uploaded via FTP.

The tough part though is the initial configuration, especially with the alarm settings, it isn't very intuitive, but once you set it up its great.

res02a14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages res02a14
cobergas wrote:Are you able to remotely view your system? Where are the apps for this?

try using free vMEye

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
DerWeissFlugenWurst wrote:Beware: Many inexpensive Security DVR will NOT allow you to record what you’re seeing on the screen.

Normal TV viewing 720x480 with 30fps = D1. ½ that quality is HD1, ¼ that quality is CIF, 1/8 that quality is QCIF. So nice real time video recording = all D1. NO D1 on all channels = your recording playback will look like a bad stop action grainy video of Bart Simpson at the Quickie Mart.
This unit might allow 1 or 2 cameras to record D1. The rest, you won’t be able to tell the burglar from the hamburglar.

From this unit’s user’s manual:
Channels 1 & 2 allows options D1, HD1, CIF and QCIF.;
Channels 3-8: allow settings of CIF and QCIF.

In almost any category of things you buy there is "commercial grade" for average consumers and "high grade" for people who really know what they are doing.

This applies to everything from personal electronics to fry pans to garbage bags.

“There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.” John Ruskin

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

bhelm22

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bhelm22

Tonight I'm going to check the sales map, tomorrow I'm moving my family to the whitest state. So far it's not looking good for a move to the southeast.

Beallz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Beallz
hpfa wrote:Wireless would be nice, but you still have to run the power to the camera, and the wireless connection never seems to stay up without occasional fiddling. As long as you run the power, might as well include the ethernet cable and be done with it.

They're BNC not POE, so Ethernet isn't going to be a player. You instead have lengths of their cable and 75' is rarely long enough for more than just a few of the cameras and so you will have to procure more of their cable.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

garyhgaryh wrote:I thought the same thing.
Also, is this a 1/4 or 1/3 sensor?

Good morning. The sensor is 1/3". We've added it to the specs. Great question.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pasky3366

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pasky3366
Beallz wrote:They're BNC not POE, so Ethernet isn't going to be a player. You instead have lengths of their cable and 75' is rarely long enough for more than just a few of the cameras and so you will have to procure more of their cable.

You can use thesehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T8SO4M/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i03 to convert to cat5

beastyribs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages beastyribs

psaxton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psaxton
pasky3366 wrote:You can use thesehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000T8SO4M/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i03 to convert to cat5

Good to know. Bookmarked!

normanack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages normanack

I'm looking for something to keep an eye on my chickens in their coop and yard. It's out of sight and out of range of our house's wi-fi. Weather, temperature, and copious dust are issues. And of course, money is very tight. (I don't know enough to tell if this system would work for me, so am passing on it.) i don't need recording or HD TV here, just the ability to see and hear the chickens and possible predators.

I'm reading and researching but am hampered by my extremely low technology IQ. Any pointers to good basic information, or recommendations of things to look for, are appreciated.

chadpyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadpyle
radi0j0hn wrote:In almost any category of things you buy there is "commercial grade" for average consumers and "high grade" for people who really know what they are doing.

This applies to everything from personal electronics to fry pans to garbage bags.

“There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.” John Ruskin

Not to split hairs but, "commercial-grade" is generally synonymous with 'business-grade', not "consumer-grade". The basic hierarchy for product features and overall quality is generally: Enterprise-grade > Business-grade > Residential-grade.

Nevertheless, your point is a good one. This surveillance system is residential-grade, as can be inferred most easily by price and features (or lack thereof). It is likely that quality follows suit.

joshieva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshieva

As someone who is in this field, please stay away for a system like this. The DVR is cheap and the cameras are even worse. I'm sure the video and power lines that come with it are thin and easily broken. There are far better options out there for around the same price.

spaguy61607

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaguy61607

I have to have wireless darn darn darn that is a great deal..... sigh,,,,,,

scoope12

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scoope12

Careful with bigger ticket items on Woot. If they ship it and you don't get it, you're SOL.